Print Thread
Looking for some help? #1181188 02/27/07 08:54 PM
N
NOLAangler Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the saltwater fishing here in Texas. I used to fish a good bit down in Louisiana, but that was a lot of fishing out of my family's boat and the fishing down in Venice and Grande Isle was much different than what I have experienced here so far.

I am looking for some good places to wade fish for trout and reds. I am also looking for some tips on what to use and how to use certain baits (especially the Mirrolures). I have tried San Luis Pass (Bay side / Flats), the south shores of West Bay (Anderson Ways) and have tried some of the south shore of Christmas Bay. I tried all of these over the last month and have come up pretty empty. I stay in the Greater Houston area and these seemed to be the closest and best options.

I am also interested in trying surf fishing and getting some tips and locations. I have never tried it because it seems like less of a "hunt" and more of a waiting game, but I would like to give it a shot!

Sorry for the long post, but I am really interested in trying to get into fishing down here! Thanks ahead of time for any help and anything you have will be greatly appreciated. I have been "lurking" on this site for a couple of weeks and everyone on this site seems to be very informed and helpful and overall good people. Anyone need a fishing partner in the area, let me know! Thanks ahead of time and good luck fishing fellas!

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: NOLAangler] #1183093 03/01/07 12:17 AM
F
Fish Wrangler Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Well, you seem to be asking this question at the right time because starting at the end of the next month, the fishing should start heating up. Also, since you live in Houston your flexibility to pick and choose when you can fish will help. Before, I give you suggestions, do you have a boat which you can fish out of?

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: Fish Wrangler] #1184470 03/01/07 08:50 PM
N
NOLAangler Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
I wish I did, but no boat!

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: NOLAangler] #1184712 03/01/07 10:47 PM
F
Fish Wrangler Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Hmm, ok then.

Concerning baits, I would suggest using shrimp croakers (the shrimp can be espcially good in the jetties and the croakers can be really good if the surf is right). Piggies are also pretty good too, I just don't find them as often but they are more durable than the other two. Hook the shrimp right behind the brain and the fish baits between the anus and the middle strip. If your going to use live bait, make sure you have a good round aeroated container so the bait will survive. Also, make sure you bring along some ice and change the water every hour or so to keep them frisky.

As for the lures, I generally like to use talcs. Find a 1/16th ounce jighead along with some bass assasins. Some good colors are rootbeer chartruse, plum chartruse, and red white. Really just read around to see what color they're biting. As for mirrolures, I think that pink or just any color you might think looks "fishy" would be good. Retrieval for both of these is generally the tug-pause-tug-pause retrieval that you use for most artificials.

The topwater mirrolures are also pretty good along with zara spooks and skitter walks. I like the intermeadiate size of the topwaters (the she dogs) just because you'll get more bites which is almost what topwaters all about is seeing the fish hit the surface. This retrieve I do by quick reptitive tug with an occasional pause with the rod tip up. Topwaters are really good in the surf when the weather is right. I caught my limit of trout in less than 3 hour one time on one topwater.

Places you should fish, unfortunately I can't help you too much because I dont fish the Houston area but I do suggest you get a hotspots map. Also, if you can find outstanding conditions (calm weather for at least two days) go out to the surf. You can catch the living daylights out of the trout out there if you can find some birds working. Also, dont fish near a public beach, but rather look for more remote places because that's where the fish will be. The trout will usually be out near the second sandbar or in the gut and the reds will run along the shoreline. If anything else, BE CAREFUL and OBSERVANT, because of the rip currents and the sharks. Finally, you can also go to the jetties linking the gulf and the bay, if they're in your area. They can be pretty productive at times too. Well good luck, and I hope this helps.

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: Fish Wrangler] #1184748 03/01/07 11:01 PM
N
NOLAangler Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
I really appreciate the help! This is going to help out a lot. Thanks again!

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: NOLAangler] #1184910 03/02/07 12:37 AM
F
Fish Wrangler Offline
Angler
Angler
F
One more suggestion, try some pier fishing under some good lights. It can really be productive under a full moon. GOOD LUCK!

Re: Looking for some help? [Re: Fish Wrangler] #1185611 03/02/07 01:50 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Welcome NOLA......through the years I've had consistent good fortune checking in with the local folk at bait camps all up and down the coast......spend a couple bucks with them, even bring 'em a bag of doughnuts when they open (early!) and they'll be glad to share with you their experience and expertise. You're gonna like it here!

Good Luck to you Sir!

Take someone you love Fishing...
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide