Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,452
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Videos of All the New Pedal Kayaks from ICAST [Re: YakFishField] #11732784 07/20/16 05:49 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Brad R, makes sense about bicycles. That seems the most likely reason they couldn't get a utility patent - it's not really new technology, but moreso a new application for existing technology.

As for Hobie vs. pedal reverse, I dislike the backwards pedaling motion. I like that with the Hobie, you're doing the same motion you're used to. And the Hobie drive was quick to switch, and I feel like it puts a lot of strain on a pedal drive when you're pedaling forwards, then all of a sudden come to a quick halt and push it into reverse.

My biggest question is durability. The new Hobie drive has a lot more moving parts, which to me always means a lot more things that can break. Repairing the Mirage Drive is not cheap. Unfortunately, we likely won't have a real answer to durability of each drive for another year or two. Curious to see which ones hold up well and which ones don't.

I noticed the bearings on the Perception drive are not sealed. Curious if that becomes an issue.

I felt that the Old Town drive was the most polished at this point in time, but at only $200 less expensive than the Minn Kota Predator XL, I'm concerned about their success because of the price point. I was also disappointed that the drive wouldn't retrofit into any of their existing boats, as I was very much hoping for a pedal drive ATAK as well. I'm looking forward to testing the Radar once it's ready.

For me, the single biggest advantage Hobie still has is how quickly you can lay those fins up against the boat when approaching an obstacle: simply push the pedals apart. Some of the pedal drives are easier to pull up than others, but none of them are even close to as simple or as fast as Hobie's solution. Perception's actually seemed to be the easiest/quickest to pull up. Old Town cut out some of the hull where the drive goes into to make aligning the props easier for take out, but none of them have truly solved the whole "my props aren't aligned with the hole and I can't pull my drive up" issue.

Looking forward to seeing which ones progress before going into production. FeelFree's and Wildy's seemed to need the most polishing before hitting the market in my opinion. But with Spring 2017 launches, they still have plenty of time to fine-tune them.

Regardless, it's an exciting time to be a kayak angler. Regardless of which brand you pledge allegiance to, more options and competition is a good thing for everyone.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Videos of All the New Pedal Kayaks from ICAST [Re: YakFishField] #11733863 07/21/16 04:57 AM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I agree Robert that Wildy still has a little bit to go before the pedal system is market ready. Im not sure how we are going to be able to switch the rudder cable from side steering to foot steering when you just want to paddle, but its supposed to be capable of it. I think Wildy has come up with a pretty great solution for shallow water deployment with the quick release foot pedal that shoots the drive clear of hull.

One thing I am wondering about is how the Hobie reverse will actually work when trying to hold a windy point. Constantly having to reach down and pull the cord seems a little too hands on for a pedal system. Kind of like trying to parallel park a stick shift. I agree with whoever said that Hobie needs to find a way to switch between forward and reverse with a foot control.

Just my thoughts

Re: Videos of All the New Pedal Kayaks from ICAST [Re: Brad R] #11769773 08/10/16 07:43 PM
B
bigstack Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: Brad R

It is just that it comes paired up so there is no way to just buy the manual element without the motor element.

from one of the many youtube vids that i saw the guy that "invented/designed it said something along the lines of that you could buy jsut pedals and then add motor at a different time. the prices i have heard are 800-1200 range.. maybe 800 for pedals and then 400 for the motor add on (I am assuming that you obviously buy your own battery at additional cost.) to me the 800 is no different than the hobie mirage drive costs...

keep in mind i dont work for them and maybe the guy was just spouting off stuff and they will decide against selling the motor as an add on later.

the real question in my mind is what do you do with your fishfinder if you have the pedal drive installed. hang it off the side ?

Re: Videos of All the New Pedal Kayaks from ICAST [Re: bigstack] #11771116 08/11/16 02:14 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: bigstack

It is just that it comes paired up so there is no way to just buy the manual element without the motor element.

from one of the many youtube vids that i saw the guy that "invented/designed it said something along the lines of that you could buy jsut pedals and then add motor at a different time. the prices i have heard are 800-1200 range.. maybe 800 for pedals and then 400 for the motor add on (I am assuming that you obviously buy your own battery at additional cost.) to me the 800 is no different than the hobie mirage drive costs...

keep in mind i dont work for them and maybe the guy was just spouting off stuff and they will decide against selling the motor as an add on later.

the real question in my mind is what do you do with your fishfinder if you have the pedal drive installed. hang it off the side ?

I missed this before I think. The FeelFree drive does not come with both pedal and motor. The FeelFree pedal drive is going to be about $1,200. Then, for another $1,000 or so, you will be able to buy the motor head separate and it incorporates right into the pedal drive. Those prices are the estimates the owner, Jim, gave me. But they will be sold separately. You can't use the motor head without the pedal drive though, so you can pedal without motor but you can't motor without pedal.

Here's the video I linked in the OP that explains most of this and shows how it works: http://bit.ly/FeelFree_Overdrive

As for the fish finder, there are plenty of places to mount one besides in between your legs. People have been mounting 'em to Hobies for almost a decade. Mounting it on either gunnel will be out of the way of your feet, perhaps with the exception of certain 9-inch screens or an 11-inch screen. Certainly don't need to hang it off the side, haha.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Videos of All the New Pedal Kayaks from ICAST [Re: YakFishField] #11772738 08/12/16 04:29 AM
B
bigstack Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: YakFishField
Originally Posted By: bigstack

I missed this before I think. The FeelFree drive does not come with both pedal and motor. The FeelFree pedal drive is going to be about $1,200. Then, for another $1,000 or so, you will be able to buy the motor head separate and it incorporates right into the pedal drive. Those prices are the estimates the owner, Jim, gave me. But they will be sold separately. You can't use the motor head without the pedal drive though, so you can pedal without motor but you can't motor without pedal.

Here's the video I linked in the OP that explains most of this and shows how it works: http://bit.ly/FeelFree_Overdrive

As for the fish finder, there are plenty of places to mount one besides in between your legs. People have been mounting 'em to Hobies for almost a decade. Mounting it on either gunnel will be out of the way of your feet, perhaps with the exception of certain 9-inch screens or an 11-inch screen. Certainly don't need to hang it off the side, haha.

i was talking about how the pedal drive takes the place of where they were installing the transducer.... not the screen... they with the lures were having people installing the screen and transducer and battery in the "pod" that is where the peddle drive was. on the bottom the transducer was recessed/ or even with the bottom of the boat.

as far as the cost... here is a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6s0EFYqwSs go to 5:45 in and e says 800 for pedal... and i misunderstood he says 1000 extra for motor. but then he says something about all in for 3500? I am guessing he is talking about buying boat/pedal drive and motor. the audio is not the greatest on the video. but it goes into a lot of detail. but like you said if you talked to the owner he probably is a better estimate than the guy that just designed it as far as costs.

Last edited by bigstack; 08/12/16 04:31 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide