Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: FishinASAP] #11541543 04/14/16 06:23 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: FishinASAP
Originally Posted By: KungFuJimmy
i don't eat the sand bass for 10 years .but i knew about the creek fish and lake fish what different before.why?because after the rain fish come by the creek .they stay with muddy water .so they taste like mud.if you catch fish from lake they taste sweet that's why they taste different!and after done fishing must be fix them the right way keep them fresh . bow_down

KFJ is right... when they are running, they are consuming large amounts of both lake bait that have moved up along with native creek bait as well they are consuming fast and furious, which in turn they directly absorb. Lake sandies always taste sweeter and cleaner than the creek bass.

However, I do think the treatment plants on RC and other creeks do affect the flavor. I've caught sandies off the creeks of Lavon that do not have treatment plants, and they taste very similar as to how they taste when they're pulled from the lake. On top of that, really think about all the suburban runoff that dumps into the creek after a rain.

The Rowlett Creek Treatment Plant's treated water does not go into Rowlett Creek. It is pumped through a pipeline to Duck Creek. There is a station and the outlet just below where the Garland Elk's Lodge is. I'm not aware of any wastewater discharge from a municipality into RC. Doesn't mean there isn't one upstream somewhere.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11542051 04/14/16 03:07 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Duckcreek Davy
Originally Posted By: FishinASAP
Originally Posted By: KungFuJimmy
i don't eat the sand bass for 10 years .but i knew about the creek fish and lake fish what different before.why?because after the rain fish come by the creek .they stay with muddy water .so they taste like mud.if you catch fish from lake they taste sweet that's why they taste different!and after done fishing must be fix them the right way keep them fresh . bow_down

KFJ is right... when they are running, they are consuming large amounts of both lake bait that have moved up along with native creek bait as well they are consuming fast and furious, which in turn they directly absorb. Lake sandies always taste sweeter and cleaner than the creek bass.

However, I do think the treatment plants on RC and other creeks do affect the flavor. I've caught sandies off the creeks of Lavon that do not have treatment plants, and they taste very similar as to how they taste when they're pulled from the lake. On top of that, really think about all the suburban runoff that dumps into the creek after a rain.

The Rowlett Creek Treatment Plant's treated water does not go into Rowlett Creek. It is pumped through a pipeline to Duck Creek. There is a station and the outlet just below where the Garland Elk's Lodge is. I'm not aware of any wastewater discharge from a municipality into RC. Doesn't mean there isn't one upstream somewhere.

I'm not sure if Plano does from a treatment plant, but when it floods, their raw sewage spills into the creek sometimes. There was a warning about that last year. People on near by well water were told to boil because of it. Can't say I'm thrilled about all the lead shot that rains down into the creek from the gun range either.

Rowlett Creek is one of the dirtier creeks no matter what, just given how it flows through the metroplex and its feeders that flow though the metroplex.

That said, most fish I've eaten from RC taste fine.

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11542245 04/14/16 04:22 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
The same thing starts to happen to salmon when they go up to spawn. Once their fat reserves are gone their bodies start to break down their muscle since they are not eating, or hardly eating in the case of sand bass. They start to loose their flavor a little and can start to loose color of the meat if they are extremely starved. Rowlett creek is a pretty long creek for them to move up without having enough food (say like in a river...), most others are shorter. They spend more time in the creek than in most others. There is nothing wrong with the meat, it's just going to be like that anywhere if you catch any fish that are in that condition.

Eric

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11542339 04/14/16 04:49 PM
PlanoKeith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I wonder if the sewage treatment plant in Plano by the golf course in los rios is dumping so called cleaned water in Rowlette Creek. The creek does go that far.

Last edited by PlanoKeith; 04/14/16 04:49 PM.

Keith smile

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: PlanoKeith] #11542361 04/14/16 04:56 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: PlanoKeith
I wonder if the sewage treatment plant in Plano by the golf course in los rios is dumping so called cleaned water in Rowlette Creek. The creek does go that far.

Probably. Even if it's another creek, almost everything in that part of the metroplex feeds into RC eventually.

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11542373 04/14/16 05:00 PM
PlanoKeith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
Originally Posted By: PlanoKeith

Probably. Even if it's another creek, almost everything in that part of the metroplex feeds into RC eventually.

thumb

Keith smile

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11542932 04/14/16 08:55 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
If you watch the USGS gauge, their is a daily swing. In the daytime it flows a bit stronger than at night. That means there is something like a plant that is pumping water into the creek daily. So it would make sense that the treatment plant in Plano is pumping water in.

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11543012 04/14/16 09:42 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
More water = diluted "sewage"

Fish tasted fine in prior years, but not many hybrids were caught, but this year's many many more hybrids have been caught and more will be caught after this waves of rain....RH gangs get nervous? Lol

Put it in another way, if you wash a busket of dirty laundry with 5 gallon of water vs 50 gallon of water, which is dirtier, the 5 gallon or the 50 gallon... sewage treatment plant discharge only "cleaned" water into the creeks, why because creeks feed reservoir, our drinking water.

Imho, post spawn metamorphic change in the body of the fish may cause the change of fish taste.

PS, RC is deeper this year compared to previous year, so the treatment plant water discharge sb a bigger issue last year when RC had much less water... and all those drought years, yet didn't hear about this theory until now. Hmm,... lol

Last edited by BankAngler50; 04/15/16 12:47 AM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: LakeForkGroupie] #11543173 04/14/16 11:46 PM
L
Long4Fishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
If you watch the USGS gauge, their is a daily swing. In the daytime it flows a bit stronger than at night. That means there is something like a plant that is pumping water into the creek daily. So it would make sense that the treatment plant in Plano is pumping water in.

Thanks for pointing out. I always wonder why there's a daily swing of discharge from about 70 cfps to 90 cfps during recent regular days. So that 20 cfps could be from the treatment plant?

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: LakeForkGroupie] #11543197 04/14/16 11:59 PM
M
MrNovice Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

At least it is upscale Plano poop, and not Oak Cliff poop like the Trinity. roflmao

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: MrNovice] #11543306 04/15/16 12:45 AM
I
iluvfishin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Originally Posted By: MrNovice

At least it is upscale Plano poop, and not Oak Cliff poop like the Trinity. roflmao

Lol that fancy stuff!

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11543339 04/15/16 12:59 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Lol, raw sewage has poop, but treated water from treatment plant is cleared water and has nothing that fish can eat, Fyi.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: HeavyLead] #11543359 04/15/16 01:11 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I am more concerned about chemical washed down from neighborhood street, but this issue sb more profound in drought years than during a flood year, again the flood water diluted the chemical concentration level so it sb less of an issue this year.

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: erittmueller] #11543382 04/15/16 01:23 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: erittmueller
The same thing starts to happen to salmon when they go up to spawn. Once their fat reserves are gone their bodies start to break down their muscle since they are not eating, or hardly eating in the case of sand bass. They start to loose their flavor a little and can start to loose color of the meat if they are extremely starved. Rowlett creek is a pretty long creek for them to move up without having enough food (say like in a river...), most others are shorter. They spend more time in the creek than in most others. There is nothing wrong with the meat, it's just going to be like that anywhere if you catch any fish that are in that condition.

Eric
+1, thumb

Re: Rowlett Creek 2016 [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11543391 04/15/16 01:27 AM
B
Billdallas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
thanks ive been wondering for years what that lift station was for

Page 104 of 116 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 115 116
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide