Forums59
Topics1,039,206
Posts13,960,944
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523215 04/05/16 05:20 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I'm very surprised there hasn't been more testing done with inflatables. Heck, it's not rocket science. Give your phone to someone and have them video you jumping into the lake with yours on. I've never even heard of anyone doing this.

I promise y'all, when the water gets warmer, I will do it. You'll get a real life testimony of an inflatable.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523236 04/05/16 05:26 PM
N
neverenuf Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Offshore model 35lb buoyant inflatable for me. Auto-inflate is extremely reliable when serviced an maintained properly, these models will roll you over and hold you face up in the water if unconscious.

Legend Alpha 199 225 Opti
Ranger 22' Bay 225 Evinrude
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: WillieKetchum] #11523248 04/05/16 05:30 PM
T
trippbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
I'm very surprised there hasn't been more testing done with inflatables. Heck, it's not rocket science. Give your phone to someone and have them video you jumping into the lake with yours on. I've never even heard of anyone doing this.

I promise y'all, when the water gets warmer, I will do it. You'll get a real life testimony of an inflatable.

There's a ton of videos of folks testing these jackets...
https://youtu.be/9eSBnMF7xhY
I'm still gonna look forward to your test though smile

Last edited by trippbo; 04/05/16 05:30 PM.
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: WillieKetchum] #11523377 04/05/16 06:26 PM
JPeel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum

I used to test mine every year, just before it was time to replace the auto-inflate device. But I tested mine by jumping off the side of the boat at rest, not by getting ejected at a high rate of speed.

the fisherman formerly known as Blu-Ranger....
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523490 04/05/16 07:18 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I'm old school......I like my Skeeter PFD.....

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523499 04/05/16 07:23 PM
C
COHLMEYER Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
No. I wear the full PFD.

Wasn't there a pro last year that was ejected and knocked unconcience while wearing an inflatable. , I remember something about him sinking to the bottom, he either got himself back up or it finally inflated can't remember which.

Neither scenario sounds appetizing, so big life vest it is.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523508 04/05/16 07:25 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
John Cox, Cohlmeyer.

www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/14632/cox-on-accident:-it-was-scary-#.VwQRCZwrJdg

Dunno why the link didn't work, but copy/paste to your browser and you can read about it. Cox was wearing a manual inflatable Mustang, not an auto-inflate.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523592 04/05/16 08:01 PM
Fish hunter 59 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In not a very good swimmer, in fact I suck! I think after reading this I'll go to a full PFD while running and still use my auto inflate on somewhat clam days fishing!

Last edited by Fish hunter 59; 04/05/16 09:06 PM.

Living the Dream
PB 10.27 >))))>
[Linked Image]
Matthew 4:19 Let us be fisher of men also!
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: fouzman] #11523723 04/05/16 08:55 PM
C
COHLMEYER Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman
John Cox, Cohlmeyer.

www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/14632/cox-on-accident:-it-was-scary-#.VwQRCZwrJdg

Dunno why the link didn't work, but copy/paste to your browser and you can read about it. Cox was wearing a manual inflatable Mustang, not an auto-inflate.

Ah that was it. Yeahhhh, I'll stick with my full size. Not going to trust that I'll be able to pull the lever if I get ejected running WOT.
I've had a couple of auto deploys blow up just sitting in the rod locker also. It's like wearing a time bomb.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523774 04/05/16 09:34 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Why like a time bomb? They don't hurt a user. I'd rather have one be too sensitive about deployment than not sensitive enough!

I would never wear a manual-inflate only vest; no tournament participant should be allowed to do so in my opinion. Ejection from a boat and entering the water at speed isn't a situation where a user can be aware enough to remember to pull an inflate cord.

BTW, the directions for care say don't store the vest in a humid environment (such as a rod locker, which gets humidity from the typically not dry bilge). The firing mechanism uses a water-dissolvable disc so sensitive that humidity will degrade it over time. Improper storage by the user who doesn't follow care instructions is why vests typically deploy unintended. There are also vests that deploy based on pressure from submersion, not the water itself. Those are far less affected by humidity, and don't fire if subjected to intense rainfall.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Flippin-Out] #11523793 04/05/16 09:43 PM
C
COHLMEYER Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Why like a time bomb? They don't hurt a user. I'd rather have one be too sensitive about deployment than not sensitive enough!

I would never wear a manual-inflate only vest; no tournament participant should be allowed to do so in my opinion. Ejection from a boat and entering the water at speed isn't a situation where a user can be aware enough to remember to pull an inflate cord.

BTW, the directions for care say don't store the vest in a humid environment (such as a rod locker, which gets humidity from the typically not dry bilge). The firing mechanism uses a water-dissolvable disc so sensitive that humidity will degrade it over time. Improper storage by the user who doesn't follow care instructions is why vests typically deploy unintended. There are also vests that deploy based on pressure from submersion, not the water itself. Those are far less affected by humidity, and don't fire if subjected to intense rainfall.

That's probably all that happened to mine. My full size doesn't explode and make loud noises that make me want to jump in the water. That kind of time bomb rather than physical harm time bomb.
roflmao

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523956 04/05/16 11:34 PM
B
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Yes

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: Huckleberry] #11523982 04/05/16 11:49 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
For all you that prefer standard vests, stop buying my inflatable. Supply and demand can then get my out of pocket down! coach

Yes, I feel safe with one!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: COHLMEYER] #11523988 04/05/16 11:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: COHLMEYER
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

That's probably all that happened to mine. My full size doesn't explode and make loud noises that make me want to jump in the water. That kind of time bomb rather than physical harm time bomb.
roflmao

Explode?! Lol. Hardly.

I have a manual/auto HIT. It is perfectly safe....and dependable. I have an auto/manual disc style. It's perfectly safe too. It doesn't explode. Neither do. It's more like shaking a hot soda and opening the cap. Trust me. I've had the disc one go off slipping at a boat ramp. I looked like a fool....other than that, it was kinda nice to know it works well.

I don't like wearing a heavy, hot full PFD. I don't like wearing them so much that this is WHY I bought an inflatable in the first place. So I would actually wear it. It is light, easy to use, and I forget it is on. I forget is why it went off at the ramp! I obviously didn't need it on to load the boat. Habit and the fact that it's easy to wear.

I say this though.

The inflatable style does nothing to protect you from impacts in the event that you have a bad crash in the boat or get ejected into a tree stump. Lol the regular vest style, I'm sure, would probably protect vital organs better than nothing. The only negatives to them would be the heat and floating face down.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? [Re: RedRanger] #11524054 04/06/16 12:22 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I find any type of life jackets to be dangerous wearing and I just don't like to wear them

I don't wear a seat belt in my car either..........

Not too smart....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide