Forums59
Topics1,040,476
Posts13,982,192
Members144,238
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11177903 10/22/15 01:12 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Why would anybody fish a tournament that tempted them to make a fish SHORTER than it actually is?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11178037 10/22/15 02:16 AM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Nobody asked "would you trim a fish's tail". They asked would you weigh in a fish that's been altered.

Two totally different questions.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #11178050 10/22/15 02:22 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If i caught it in a tournament i definitely would weigh it in. If it got questioned, id gladly take a polygraph. I caught the fish legally. What someone chose to do in the past has nothing to do with me

I agree too. I'd point it out to the TD and make sure they knew I didn't do it. But yea, weigh that sucker.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Richard McCarty] #11178051 10/22/15 02:23 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
Why would anybody fish a tournament that tempted them to make a fish SHORTER than it actually is?

Slot limits dude.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11178059 10/22/15 02:26 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Put it in the cooler and fillet it

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Richard McCarty] #11178077 10/22/15 02:31 AM
F
ftabangler13 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F

They're talking specifically about tournaments on Lake Fork (or other lakes) where there's a 16"-24" slot limit. You can't keep a fish between 16"-24". They'll trim the tail on a 16.5" fish so that they can try to have a big under.

Gig Em Ags!
Dead BQ, Class of 2013
Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: ftabangler13] #11178106 10/22/15 02:46 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: ftabangler13

They're talking specifically about tournaments on Lake Fork (or other lakes) where there's a 16"-24" slot limit. You can't keep a fish between 16"-24". They'll trim the tail on a 16.5" fish so that they can try to have a big under.

Obviously, several have mis-interpreted my post.
I understand the slot limit.
The question is, "why is there a slot limit on a particular lake?"
Answer, " this particular lake has shown trophy potential".
Just maybe, the slot limit was proposed to enhance the trophy potential of a particular lake.
Just maybe, we might not target the fish that eventually will be protected by the slot limit. (enhancing the future trophy potential of that particular lake).
All the tournaments that I have fished, (at a higher level), rewarded the angler for catching the largest bag of fish with a minimum length limit.
I can't grasp the concept of fishing for the largest "small" fish in the lake.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: ftabangler13] #11178110 10/22/15 02:47 AM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Not to speak for Richard, but he's making a statement more than asking a question.
I don't get it either. Tournaments on a lake where you are limited to catching the biggest small fish. It's a strange concept and not good for or what Lake Fork is all about.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11178636 10/22/15 01:42 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
They will have to come up with a rule keeping those fish with past cut tails from being weighed in. If not, there will be a few guys out there cutting tails and trying for those fish on tourney day. It's sad it has to come to making more rules but a few bad apples will ruin it for everybody and money will bring those types out.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11178744 10/22/15 02:28 PM
slshaneus Offline
Angler
Angler
maybe a turtle or gator took him a little nip, you are speculating that another angler did it, i would weigh it in!

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: One fish Bill] #11180141 10/23/15 02:27 AM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Kiss it & toss it.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: epicoutdoors] #11180480 10/23/15 12:32 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors

Not to speak for Richard, but he's making a statement more than asking a question.
I don't get it either. Tournaments on a lake where you are limited to catching the biggest small fish. It's a strange concept and not good for or what Lake Fork is all about.

So targeting and stressing all of the breeding sized fish is better for the lake than targeting and stressing all of the little guys huh? Where'd you get your fisheries biologist degree at again? lol.

For the record, you aren't fishing for the biggest small fish all the time, you can still keep one over a day. So you either fish for a big one or a lot of small ones. I think it's actually a more cerebral tourney than the typical one. Everyone can catch fish for the most part. Not everyone can target a certain size of fish.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Richard McCarty] #11181238 10/23/15 06:21 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L

Just maybe, the slot limit was proposed to enhance the trophy potential of a particular lake.
Just maybe, we might not target the fish that eventually will be protected by the slot limit. (enhancing the future trophy potential of that particular lake).
All the tournaments that I have fished, (at a higher level), rewarded the angler for catching the largest bag of fish with a minimum length limit.

I understood what you meant by your original response and I've read your response to others. Here is my answer. And this is coming from a weekend angling bank beater.... not a pro at anything by any means.

I think most understand the slot limit as well and why it is in place on some lakes, Fork specifically. Somewhere down the line 100 years ago someone with a lot more education than me decided the slot is good. My response is more towards why people fish to catch the biggest "small" fish. Its simple to me. Because those are the rules. Because 1000's of folks love to fish Lake Fork because at any given moment you may catch a fish of a lifetime. Because most or at least the majority of tournaments I fish at Fork are "Big Bass" tournaments with up to 8 hourly payouts paying 10-20 places per hour over a 2-3 day period. So at any given moment you may catch that fish of a lifetime and win ten's of thousands of dollars. Heck, sometimes you win that much just for catching that elusive biggest "small" fish. So the answer is simple to me, because Lake Fork is awesome and since the slot is the rule out there that's why we do it....Because we have to. The goal to begin with isn't to catch one of these "small" fish anyways. The ultimate goal is to be the outright winner with the "biggest" "big" fish at the end of the day.

As far as targeting the fish that may or will eventually be in the slot enhancing the future trophy potential of that particular lake I have a question for you. What is the difference, whether you are targeting a "certain length" fish or not (which is a whole other subject for me)your goal is still to catch a legal size keeper fish correct? So on Fork its 16-24 inches. If it were changed to 14 inches, are you implying that would hurt the lake? In other words whats the difference in catching a 15 3/4" fish whether there is a slot limit or not? 15 inches is 15 inches is it not?

Also, if you are "targeting", I would assume a fish over 24", since it appears you are against targeting "small" fish that have the potential to make it into the slot range to enhance the potential for that lake, does that mean in a tournament setting are you saying you'd release that fish as to not cause it any kind of trauma so it has a better chance at getting bigger? As if enticing a bass that thinks it is about to eat a meal and when it chomps that savory looking 10 inch powerworm and holds onto it 18x longer than your typical soft plastic it gets its dadgum face ripped off by a 200lb grown man with a 7 foot 6 inch Heavy action rod with 20lb no give, no stretch fluorocarbon causing that 4/0 EWG sharp pointed barbed hook to pierce through its jaw doesn't give the poor thing PTSD to begin with..... I'd be sick, scared, have twitches, be on 10 different meds, wet the bed, have night tremors, and never eat again if someone tied a rope around a 16 oz Bone in ribeye, attached the other end to a 3/4 ton Powerstroke with a chip in it and when I go to take my first bite they hammer down and rip me from my comfy recliner watching my recorded episode of Honey Hole All Outdoors and drug me down the street just to grab a hold of me, gimme a hug, take pictures with me, God forbid kiss me Jimmy Houston style, Thank the Lord for catching me all the while screaming and hollering and then take me back home and throw me through the front door so I don't miss the pro tip at the end of the show!!!

Obviously us as anglers go fish tournaments on whatever lake to catch the biggest bag. During that said tourney we may catch 5 keepers regardless if theres a slot or not. If we catch a 6th keeper we cull don't we? So at the end of our 8 hour day we hope to get rewarded for our biggest bag of 5 fish..... Right? So whether you fished at a higher level vs some of us fishing club events really don't make a difference. We obviously don't pick the lakes we fish, the clubs or organizations pick them. we show up, pay our money, and go fishing.

Lastly. Targeting a specific sized fish. Call me crazy, maybe some of yall are just way better than I am, but I don't know how the heck you pull up to say a point and say, "Yep, gonna target them 15 inchers right here!" Hell I just go fishing! And hope to get a friggen bite most of the time. Only thing I target is bass. At the end of the day I hope I have 5 bigguns. Shoot, really, I just hope I have 5 and hopefully 5 big enough to weigh in and not be embarrassed.

So this is the internet so I feel like I need to say these were serious questions to you Mr. McCarty. I've seen posts of yours in the past and its obvious you are passionate about Fork and this "slot" debate. I don't know you personally but I understand you've been a longtime Fork guy I believe and fished in the bigtime which is cool. (Pretty sure I was still riding my big wheel but regardless cool)

Last edited by Lil' Louie; 10/23/15 06:36 PM.

[Linked Image]

PB 12.88lbs, Lake Fork 3-17-2013 8:45 a.m.

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Richard McCarty] #11181488 10/23/15 08:33 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B

If it is a bag limit and you are on Fork, you are only allowed 1 bass 24" or over. After that you will be fishing for something under the slot to fill your 5 fish bag.

If you are fishing one of the big bass tournaments where you only need 1 bass, of course people fish for the largest fish in the lake. The fact that there is a slot limit poses the problem. In the Sealy tournament for example, they pay out for the largest 15 bass per hour, 8 hours a day for 3 days. That's 360 fish getting money. There will never be 360 turned in and therefore, the largest fish under the slot limit become valuable. Multiple hours are won by unders. An under may even win a boat, truck and cash.

People cheat. Every tournament has cheaters. So there are some that will catch one that is a fraction too long but would have won them a substantial amount of money and they may be tempted to trim just a bit in order to win. Then there are the more intelligent cheaters. I read not long ago of a man who had been cheating in tournaments for years before getting caught. His secret for not getting caught was to never try to win. He only wanted to win money but not finish high enough that he would have to take the polygraph or have attention brought to him.

As far as would I turn it in. Yes I would if it was scarred and could be determined that it was a previous situation. The law is pretty specific on the elements of an offense. Here is the section that applies:
(4) the person alters the length or weight of a fish for the purpose of representing that the fish as entered in the tournament was that length or weight when caught; or
So it specifically states the person alters it. It is the act of the person not what someone did before

Re: What would you do if you caught a trimmed tail under? [Re: Lil' Louie] #11181616 10/23/15 09:48 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie

I understood what you meant by your original response and I've read your response to others. Here is my answer. And this is coming from a weekend angling bank beater.... not a pro at anything by any means.

I think most understand the slot limit as well and why it is in place on some lakes, Fork specifically. Somewhere down the line 100 years ago someone with a lot more education than me decided the slot is good. My response is more towards why people fish to catch the biggest "small" fish. Its simple to me. Because those are the rules. Because 1000's of folks love to fish Lake Fork because at any given moment you may catch a fish of a lifetime. Because most or at least the majority of tournaments I fish at Fork are "Big Bass" tournaments with up to 8 hourly payouts paying 10-20 places per hour over a 2-3 day period. So at any given moment you may catch that fish of a lifetime and win ten's of thousands of dollars. Heck, sometimes you win that much just for catching that elusive biggest "small" fish. So the answer is simple to me, because Lake Fork is awesome and since the slot is the rule out there that's why we do it....Because we have to. The goal to begin with isn't to catch one of these "small" fish anyways. The ultimate goal is to be the outright winner with the "biggest" "big" fish at the end of the day.

As far as targeting the fish that may or will eventually be in the slot enhancing the future trophy potential of that particular lake I have a question for you. What is the difference, whether you are targeting a "certain length" fish or not (which is a whole other subject for me)your goal is still to catch a legal size keeper fish correct? So on Fork its 16-24 inches. If it were changed to 14 inches, are you implying that would hurt the lake? In other words whats the difference in catching a 15 3/4" fish whether there is a slot limit or not? 15 inches is 15 inches is it not?

Also, if you are "targeting", I would assume a fish over 24", since it appears you are against targeting "small" fish that have the potential to make it into the slot range to enhance the potential for that lake, does that mean in a tournament setting are you saying you'd release that fish as to not cause it any kind of trauma so it has a better chance at getting bigger? As if enticing a bass that thinks it is about to eat a meal and when it chomps that savory looking 10 inch powerworm and holds onto it 18x longer than your typical soft plastic it gets its dadgum face ripped off by a 200lb grown man with a 7 foot 6 inch Heavy action rod with 20lb no give, no stretch fluorocarbon causing that 4/0 EWG sharp pointed barbed hook to pierce through its jaw doesn't give the poor thing PTSD to begin with..... I'd be sick, scared, have twitches, be on 10 different meds, wet the bed, have night tremors, and never eat again if someone tied a rope around a 16 oz Bone in ribeye, attached the other end to a 3/4 ton Powerstroke with a chip in it and when I go to take my first bite they hammer down and rip me from my comfy recliner watching my recorded episode of Honey Hole All Outdoors and drug me down the street just to grab a hold of me, gimme a hug, take pictures with me, God forbid kiss me Jimmy Houston style, Thank the Lord for catching me all the while screaming and hollering and then take me back home and throw me through the front door so I don't miss the pro tip at the end of the show!!!

Obviously us as anglers go fish tournaments on whatever lake to catch the biggest bag. During that said tourney we may catch 5 keepers regardless if theres a slot or not. If we catch a 6th keeper we cull don't we? So at the end of our 8 hour day we hope to get rewarded for our biggest bag of 5 fish..... Right? So whether you fished at a higher level vs some of us fishing club events really don't make a difference. We obviously don't pick the lakes we fish, the clubs or organizations pick them. we show up, pay our money, and go fishing.

Lastly. Targeting a specific sized fish. Call me crazy, maybe some of yall are just way better than I am, but I don't know how the heck you pull up to say a point and say, "Yep, gonna target them 15 inchers right here!" Hell I just go fishing! And hope to get a friggen bite most of the time. Only thing I target is bass. At the end of the day I hope I have 5 bigguns. Shoot, really, I just hope I have 5 and hopefully 5 big enough to weigh in and not be embarrassed.

So this is the internet so I feel like I need to say these were serious questions to you Mr. McCarty. I've seen posts of yours in the past and its obvious you are passionate about Fork and this "slot" debate. I don't know you personally but I understand you've been a longtime Fork guy I believe and fished in the bigtime which is cool. (Pretty sure I was still riding my big wheel but regardless cool)

LOL
I'm not quite as old as your last paragraph tries to imply.
I simply love Lake Fork, and would like to see the fish have a chance to obtain trophy status.
Pounding it with tournaments where MOST of the fish weighed are "unders", due to the slot limit, in no way enhances the trophy potential of Lake Fork, at this current time.
If we don't TRY to protect Lake Fork's legacy, please tell me the next best TROPHY lake in Texas, and I'll start fishing that lake.
Please don't be offended by my posts that are simply a cry for help to maintain the TROPHY status of maybe the greatest TROPHY lake in the southeast U.S.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide