Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dont know where to start! #1098086 01/10/07 04:59 AM
J
jasons1414 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Ok so I have been bass fishing my whole life. I have recently purchased a kayak and want to head towards the coast. I have never fished saltwater before and have a million questions. Snook, reds, tarpon, flounder, halibut...where do I start? I know absolutely anything about catching any of these fish. Can anyone even begin to point me in the right direction?

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1098221 01/10/07 05:53 AM
B
Bassassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
IMO, Snook, Trout, and Reds are the elite. Flounder is also very good. I have never bothered with tarpon although they are a fun fight, and Halibut (IMO) is good for nothing except shark bait.

I don't know where on the coast you will be heading, but if you have the cash GET A GUIDE! One or two times with a guide (ABOUT $350/trip) will help you tremendously! Many work along with kayakers if that is your thing. Tell them you are green and that you want to learn as much as possible from your trip(s).

Otherwise, in the yak, paddle to grassy flats for trout, reds, and flounder. (2-5ft) Look for holes, and fish points and drop offs. The most popular is live shrimp either on a popping cork, or Carolina Rigged. Other live bait includes piggy perch and croaker, rigged either way. Lures include spoons, saltwater assassins, jigs, just to name a few.

I just finished reading a book called "Plugger" Fishing the Texas coast. I hate reading, seeing me read is very rare, but I enjoyed this book, you may too. It gives interesting history on the texas gulf coast, and a "how to" type section

Anything else, just ask...
Hope all this helps.

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: Bassassin] #1098281 01/10/07 06:49 AM
J
jasons1414 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
When you say grassy flats, do you mean anywhere shallow with grass? I have heard of these coastal flats, but I assume it isnt somwthing you can look up on a map. Are flats basically everywhere inland and are they all the same (fishing wise)? I am quickly learning that this is much different than a day at Lake Fork.

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1098334 01/10/07 11:32 AM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well, it's different yet the same. Best advise is to assume fish do the same in salt as in fresh - cause they do...it's just that structure, cover, etc. is different. Deep at the coast may be 5' instead of 50'at the lake....bait and moving water is the key just like you are used to (moving water may take a little getting used to). My suggestion is to just pick a general location you want to go to, post that and us "old salts" can probably help you get some fish. The coast is divided into 3 areas...upper, middle and lower...and they are all the same yet very different....you probably don't fish Fork like you would Grapevine or Lewisville. Pick an area and we'll go from there...also try to decide what you want to catch...again, the same yet very different...clear as mud, right - LOL!!

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: bobaloo1] #1098394 01/10/07 01:24 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
This is the perfect time of year to spend some productive time at the library......lots of information on salt water fishing in terms of technique, style, baits(s) location, times and tides, etcetera......

If you will, take the time to pay a visit to some of the local bait camps/tackle stores......walk in early when they open, with a bag of fresh donuts and a notepad...they'll be happy to sharing their expertise and the donuts!

It works! Fishin' Folks can be some of the friendliest, most helpful people in town!

Take someone you love Fishing...
Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: Leonardo] #1098804 01/10/07 05:01 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Halibut is some excellent eating!!!
As boballoo said, pay attention to structure and depth changes. He was also right about the depth thing and sometimes, just a few inches to a foot can make a difference. Look for structure changes such as a grass line that just drops into a nice sand bed or pit. Look at poits and see if the point extends into the water further than what you are seeing. Structure or changes in structure and tides will be key. Just like bass fishing but the structures at the coast are a little different. Depth changes, shell, sand, mud, grass, rocks, pilons or post,wells, just about any structure you find could hold fish. Lots of times you will find pockets of fish and that can make for some fun fishing. The trout fishing will be getting good here pretty soon with lots of big ones being caught. Good luck in your quest and I hope you catch what you are looking for. You will not find halibut around here but everything else you are looking for can be found right here on our coast.
Where to start? That depends on what you are looking for and how you want to go about catching the fish you seek. I like to surf fish and toss plugs all day with my bass rod. This allows me to catch large varieties of fish and most of the fish I catch are big. If doing this, I am going to hit up PINS...
If wanting to bayfish and catch trout flounder and reds with the occasional skipjack, I am going to fish waters that I am comfortable fishing. For me that would be Port A and south. The water quality also gets better as you head south. Take your pick as to where to fish and find out all the information you can on that area before heading out.

One more note... If you bass fish, you are very familiar with jerkbaits and crankbaits. These same lures work in the salt. I have found the jerkbait to be one of the most effective lures in the salt. Once upon a time, I swore by touts and jigs but there is no comparison in the two. I usually get more hits on the jerkbait and depth will never be a problem, as most of the waters you will fish will be fairly shallow. No need to load up on all kinds of new tackle. I fish for stripes and reds in freshwater and use the same tackle while fishing the coast.

GOOD LUCK

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: PiePuncher] #1100090 01/11/07 03:19 AM
J
jasons1414 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Honestly I just want a good saltwater fight. I would love to catch some reds on somethig topwater. I've heard about people spotting their tails, so I'm assuming they were shallow. What about tarpon? I've seen fishing shows where they catch tarpon but I'm afraid its a Florida thing.

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1100440 01/11/07 12:03 PM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well, now we're narrowing it some...cool! Everything PiePuncher said is absolutely correct, and he can probably tell you where to go in the Port A area as well as anyone who posts here. I grew up down there and I can also...you are closer to the Houston/Galveston area, but the upper coast presents some challenges that farther south doesn't. My advice is to fish anywhere from Port Lavaca - south. I'm going to say some non-politically correct things here, but oh well...It's easier, IMHO, to find good spots easier the further south you go, not to mention that you will find a very different attitude among fishermen as well. Your equipment will be somewhat safer if left unattended as well...I know this will start something...but all this comes from 50 years of fishing everywhere on the coast and it's just my opinion. As Pie says...if you bass fish you will not have a problem spotting good looking places at the coast...it's sorta' all the same in that regards. As you drive along and cross a bridge, for example, look to see if the water connects from one big bay (or gulf) to another...if so, stop and start throwing!! Reds, trout and flounder will all be in this area cause you have bait, moving water, structure, cover, deep water, shallow water - everything. Ship channels, like Port A, will be the home and highway for everything big you can think of except offshore fish...and even them at times. If you ever fight a 100-pound stingray it will be something you will never forget...and they are trashfish - LOL! It's all relative, and if a good fight is what you are after you will eventually get it if you stick it out. The surf is probably the place for consistant biggies once you get the hang of it...just take some practice and a little knowledge. Post when you are going and probably someone on here will be there also and show you the ropes. Tight lines!!

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: bobaloo1] #1100930 01/11/07 04:48 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Bobaloo is once again right about everything including the tackle thing but I will be quiet about that. It is safer as you go south and the fishing does get easier. LOL
Boballoo, you dont even have to catch a 100lb stingray, catch a 20# stingray and you are in for the fight of your life.. I have caught some nice ones and everytime feel like I have something huge or a jack, only to find out there is a big ugly flat fish stuck on the end of my line. THEY ARE TOUGH. Have had some cownose rays whoop me with 10lb test.
Tarpon, I have caught many but not during this time of the year. I saw a guy a while back post about catching them much earlier than what I am accustomed to so maybe he will read this and have a say so but I do my best for tarpon come August-Late October. I am not the tarpon king by any means but do know how to catch them and if I see them rolling you can bet I will be there throwing at them.(I usually catch them at the end of the jetty and use a hand gaff to land them.)
If you were going fishing soon, I would hit up the surf at around the 30+ mile marker and just wear out the trout. The fat girls should be getting thick over the next few months and I have some friends that have been doing real well with the trout as of recent, when weather permits. I have also heard that the tide has been running very low, making driving conditions excellent.
The bay fishing has also been pretty good recently, especially on the laguna shores area.(cant say much else, friends are out there daily and dont want anyone mad at me). Start somewhere mid coast and like I said, find out all you can. I dont know much or anything about Galveston. I have had some good days there but nothing like fishing further south.
If you are ever down during the same time I am, I wouldnt mind taking you for a ride down the beach or just out to catch some fish. I had a great time about a month and a half ago with some members of the forum and we just twore up the fish. Fishing with others can teach you quite a bit. The guys I was with had never used jerkbaits in the surf but I promise you that they will from here on out. Plastics just were no where near as effective.. Wish you the best of luck in your quest and I bet you do very well if you were successful at bass fishing. Same principles, just bigger and stronger fish. I use to think the MirroLure 52mr series was the best lure available but now I am not quite so sure. I now love the yozuris and lucky craft pointers.

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: PiePuncher] #1101610 01/11/07 10:33 PM
J
jasons1414 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks for the advice so far guys!! Jetties, bay, gulf, flats? This is a fishing world of its own! Does anyone know of a website that covers this "terminology". I have a fairly descent idea but I wouldnt even know what it looks like. I have only been to the coast a handful of times in my life and none of it was for fishing. I think I had this image of fish being absolutely everywhere. Is this mile marker 30 in Galveston or Port A? And what Hwy? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1102009 01/12/07 02:26 AM
B
bassman17 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Those are'nt stupid questions, in fact I was asking the same questions about a month ago. The mile marker Pie is talking about is at "PINS", Padre Island National Seashore, on South Padre Island just southeast of Corpus Christi. It's a national preserve, and you can drive forever along the beach and fish anywhere you'd like.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by bassman17; 01/12/07 02:31 AM.
Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1102486 01/12/07 10:43 AM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I'm not going to steal Pie's thread here, but MM 30 is down the PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) that starts at roughly Maliquite Beach (look at coastal maps)south of Bob Hall Pier which is out of Corpus/Flour Bluff...if you go there we'll give you exact directions. I have seen sites that have terminology, but never "booked" them, so I can't tell you what they are...I'll see if any of my books have them. I have some hand-drawn pics (and real also) done by Billy S. (a beach guide) that shows cuts, pinches and things you look for in the surf, but you would do best riding down the beach with Pie (since he lives in your area)and getting someone to actually show you...and these features can/and do change daily. It's rare to see the exact same beach 2 days in a row...the tides, etc. are constantly rearranging the sand and every day is a new adventure - one reason there are few secret spots there - just some areas are consistently better than others....like mm 30 area. Note:This is a 4-wheel area we're talking about...can by done w/ 2-wheel drive but I personally would go in caravan w/ someone who has towing power in case you get stuck....a great misconception about driving on the beach is to stay as far from the water as possible...well, this is where you get stuck!! Generally speaking you want to drive almost in the water...things at the beach will seem backwards till you get used to it...LOL!!

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: bobaloo1] #1102492 01/12/07 11:07 AM
J
jasons1414 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Man, again thanks for all the help! I am slowly beginning to see the light. Is there something offshore that makes this spot (and others) so nice? With bass fishing you look for structure, and a few main others...what do you look for when you are surf fishing? I'm assuming deep water nearby, but that would be a very generalized answer. I feel like the 20 questions guy. If you could choose 1 bait to tie on and throw out what would it be? I have heard alot about mullet, and a stingray (if you catch one). Do you fish for bait first?

Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: jasons1414] #1102851 01/12/07 03:31 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Depends on what you are looking to catch. I am not down there now but I do stay in the Bluff when down(corpus area, just closer to beach, right before the causway). I am in Fort Worth and will not be back down for two weeks or so, maybe three. My trips will be spaced out till about march, then I will be down every other week or so. (really about once every three weeks or so, unless the fishing is on fire) Since have a new baby boy, Family has been coming to visit instead of me having to drive down to see them all the time. Kind of nice but I do miss the fishing. I am still catching reds but they are freshwater.
If I had one lure of choice to use, it would be a gold sided Yozuri 3D in Halloween colors. That is by far the most effective lure I have used in the surf. If I had one bait, it would be a live finger mullet.
Boballoo mentioned everything you need to look for. Another thing I look for is very clean pockets on the backside of the third bar. Clean wide pockets will usually hold fish. Its tough to tell the difference but with a good eye, it should be easy. I usually start my wade and work north or south based on what I see. I dont really focus on fish but more the water quality and structure of the bars and sand. If I do see large quantities of bait, fish or birds, you can bet I will try that area too. If I see a bunch of flippers, I usually stay my distance and keep moving.

Last edited by PiePuncher; 01/12/07 03:33 PM.

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: Dont know where to start! [Re: PiePuncher] #1108606 01/15/07 02:15 PM
E
estex Offline
Angler
Angler
E
I have been a Bass fisherman my whole life as well (tournaments from Missiouri, Florida to Penn.) Everything you know about bass fishing is no different from Saltwater just a little thing they call TIDE. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT. That fish is out there and you know as a bass fisherman if you present the bait right they will bite. Use Flukes like you would for bass fishing, NO JIG HEAD. Even through jigs (1/4oz)the reds think they are crabs. Rat-l-traps work everything just like bass fishing. I've eeven used a Carolina rig with a french fry. ( The salties have no idea what I'm talking about?) But a guide will help with the questions on water color and other questions you might have. OH and this thing they call a SLICK, My A#@ I have yet to see one produce a fish yet, But I'm still trying it and want give up on it.
www.huntandfishtexas.com he is one of our Team guys. He is a good man.

Good luck

You can't catch a fish on a dry hook.
SKEETER for LIFE!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide