Forums59
Topics1,047,402
Posts14,105,808
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: 9874opf] #1096638 01/09/07 04:32 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
You can launch on the left but you want to stay about five feet from the left edge. I saw a few dummies last time directly on the left edge and they had troubles. Its worse putting in on the left than taking out, if the trim is down, you will jack up your motor. There is a bar on the left and there is also a pile of rocks behind the bar. The good thing, you can launch on the left without the whole trailer dropping off the ramp. On the right, there are no obstructions, just a drop off the ramp which could be bad for big boats.
Shrimp on carolina rig will not be that effective, I can tell you this from experience. Just like the guys that think trolling is the way to do it, it does not work as well as drifting and throwing artificials. The reds are picky in this lake and I dont know why. You may catch a few on the shrimp but you wont be catching 20+. They were so picky last week that they would not take a tilapia with weight on it. The bait had to look natural. You are wondering how do I know that???? Trial and error. If you are catching on every cast and even catching them next to the boat and some tilapia are down and not even getting touched, what does that tell you? There is a reason they dont want that tilapia and more than likely, its the weight!!! Enough said and any powerplant lake will produce this time of the year and they are easy to find. Reds like the warm water and the temps of the water also make a difference. When searching for them, we look for temps within 4 degrees of our target temp... Picky I know but very effective!!!!!

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: PiePuncher] #1096670 01/09/07 04:47 PM
S
Suddzies Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I think I saw you guys this weekend, cant remember witch lake it was at though. I was in the blue kayak. I saw yall catching good fish but didnt want to get to close and screw it up for you. I caught a Red while bass fishing the east bank between the inlet and outlet areas. What a fight! Anyway, Nice haul and good luck.

Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: Suddzies] #1096835 01/09/07 06:38 PM
9874opf Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Suddzies--Man you can paddle the heck out of that yak!! We were catching them at the area we told you about--I am suprised that you didnt hook into more there!

Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: 9874opf] #1096905 01/09/07 07:15 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
there were two dudes in yaks and if you were the guy i talked to, you should have caught. The only reason we moved is because our drift had come to an end and for some reason, the reds will not hit if there is hull slap (which is what happens when we run the trolling motor or the outboard). What were you using? Looked like something similar to what we were using, just smaller?
If you see us out again, just get in line and pull a drift behind us. Yaks dont make any noise and its much better to have you around than some guys running around with their outboard going. We had one guy that was running around us looking and he shut them down for a bit. Was sorry but once he passed and was gone, the fish were once again ready to take our offerings.

By the way, you seemed to have a good idea as to where the fish were, the birds that you followed were on the channel or area that the fish like to run. Thats enough said...... Good luck on your next outing and maybe we will see ya again.

Keith

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: PiePuncher] #1096935 01/09/07 07:45 PM
S
Suddzies Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Look forward to seeing yall out thier again. I didnt stay long because I had been on the water since 6:30 and went almost all the way to the damn against the wind. Needless to say, I was beat. I also had to get home to hoste a Cowboy party. What a waste that was, at least the beer was cold. I was throwing a deep diving crank but only tried for about five minutes. I thought the guy in the center console bay boat was a bit rude, he seemed to be around me all day. Did yall come down from FW that morning, I did and it was a long hawl. I live out by TMS so wont be down there very often. We'll be down more when it warms up and I can talk the wife into camping. We should be easy to spot, I'll be in the front yak fishing and towing her in the back yak while she sunbathes and sips margaritats. What a life.

Last edited by Suddzies; 01/09/07 07:46 PM.
Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: Suddzies] #1097077 01/09/07 09:10 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
LOL..We did make the long haul from fort worth. That guy in the CC was a BONEHEAD!!!! I think he could have been the reason you didnt catch also. He ran his outboard the whole time. Jason got mad but I told him to keep it down because there was a little girl on the boat. Otherwise, Jason would have let it rip. He complained for a minute but oh well. I wasnt happy with him and I guess he just didnt know any better. I noticed he was following you and I thought it was odd that he just slowly drove by us, never fished and never shut off motor, just slowly putted around us and finally took off.(we tried not to pull in any fish while he was close) He was also part of the reason we cut our drift short. Good to see ya and sorry you had to work so hard with some sorry guy on your butt. You did seem to move VERY WELL in that yak, we were shocked that you were moving so fast. The fish were there but the CC didnt help one bit!

OK Prowler
OK Drifter
Perception Pescador
Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: PiePuncher] #1097089 01/09/07 09:19 PM
F
FishOnBackow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Just an FYI. I had about 30 rattle traps that lost their paint at Fork a few years back and I sent a complaint to Bill Norman Lures. They said it shouldnt have happened and to send them in.
Anyhow, I dont think he reallized how many I had but they replaced all of them. Not sure if they are still doing it but it might be worth a shot...

Re: "Colorful" day of fishing with Piepuncher [Re: FishOnBackow] #1099583 01/10/07 11:44 PM
D
DonMiller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Honey Hole (All Outdoors) is presenting presumably a ?Bass? program on Fairfield, Feb 10.

http://alloutdoorstv.com/index.asp?show=shows

Find'm, Hook'm, Reel'm, Measure'm, Weigh'm, Smile with'm, Release'm and Thank Him.
Don
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide