Re: Denison Dam [Re: plano_ron] #10946570 06/29/15 04:15 PM
F
fishead Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: plano_ron
Originally Posted By: fishing_tom
Shimano Stella reel and Lamiglas or G-loomis rod. You will be able to cast really far, and catch your limit

I forgot to mention, my budget is around 100-150$ not 1000-1500$

I have some snapper outfits that I don't use anymore. They are a couple of Shimano Baitrunner 6500 reels spooled with braid and mounted to 7' Ugly Stik rods. I also have a couple of new 7' Ugly Stik and Ugly Stik Tiger spinning rods. Not exactly surf fishing length but they might work for your budget. I'll sell either reel with any of the rods for $150.

Well, you lose one, you rig one.
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10946678 06/29/15 05:07 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
What was recent fishing like below DD before all the floods?

I'm wondering how long it had been since the release of water below the dam because of the zebra mussels. You know they just built that big pipe line from Texoma to NTMWD in Wylie and a big treatment facility there to treat the water for zebra mussels before it is released into Lavon. A couple hundred million went into that I'm sure. So now that all hell has broken loose the river is flooding with Texoma water so I guess the zebra mussels are finally free to go where they may.

But to my original question,
1. Were the gates closed the last few years to prevent the spread of zebra mussels?
2. If the gates were closed the river was not re-stocked with texoma fish for sometime. So what was the fishing like before all this?
Just curious, I'm wondering how long this will last & how long the fishing will be good below DD.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10947106 06/29/15 08:04 PM
R
River Mongrel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
1 No 2 alot worse Fishing will be ok till the fish get caught

Keep em tight!
Re: Denison Dam [Re: Anchorman] #10947292 06/29/15 09:20 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: newpontoonguy
What was recent fishing like below DD before all the floods?

I'm wondering how long it had been since the release of water below the dam because of the zebra mussels. You know they just built that big pipe line from Texoma to NTMWD in Wylie and a big treatment facility there to treat the water for zebra mussels before it is released into Lavon. A couple hundred million went into that I'm sure. So now that all hell has broken loose the river is flooding with Texoma water so I guess the zebra mussels are finally free to go where they may.

But to my original question,
1. Were the gates closed the last few years to prevent the spread of zebra mussels?
2. If the gates were closed the river was not re-stocked with texoma fish for sometime. So what was the fishing like before all this?
Just curious, I'm wondering how long this will last & how long the fishing will be good below DD.

350 million actually. We had zebras in Lavon before it was even finished...and they knew it. DD has been closed due to lack of water in Texoma. There is always a release of about 46 CFS from the sluise gate on the oklahoma side. I presume to keep the river from just dying. Fishing before the floods was poor.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Denison Dam [Re: fishead] #10947293 06/29/15 09:22 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: fishead
Originally Posted By: plano_ron
Originally Posted By: fishing_tom
Shimano Stella reel and Lamiglas or G-loomis rod. You will be able to cast really far, and catch your limit

I forgot to mention, my budget is around 100-150$ not 1000-1500$

I have some snapper outfits that I don't use anymore. They are a couple of Shimano Baitrunner 6500 reels spooled with braid and mounted to 7' Ugly Stik rods. I also have a couple of new 7' Ugly Stik and Ugly Stik Tiger spinning rods. Not exactly surf fishing length but they might work for your budget. I'll sell either reel with any of the rods for $150.
That Shimano is an easy 100 yd.+ caster. Good reel.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10947312 06/29/15 09:32 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Re casting, The whiplash action of the rod tip is what unleashes the loaded energy of your rod when you're casting. For accuracy and distance casting counter force is required at base of your rod to completely stop the pendulum momentum of the rod...when you're loading the rod your elbow and shoulder joints are compressed then the joints are abruptly decompressed and pulled at the shoulder and elbow when you unload your rig every cast... if you cast all day it can ruin your joints severely over time. The heavier the moving object the more force is needed to stop it, try to swing a one pound, 32 oz, of melon over head then bring it to a complete stop at chest level... Now repeat the the process with a loaf of bread... It makes a world of difference.

High end rods are engineered for strong backbone and ultra light weight.
While key features of high end reels are the power and smoothness of the drag system and their sealing technology that protects and maintains the high performance of reel internal gears. They also tend to be less bulky and are light weight. Powerful and smooth drag means can wear out the fish more quickly so can horse big fish in and land fish before it spool your reel down current to snag others lines or break off.

Bottom line is if you can afford it and you'd like to fish for a lot longer, high end lightweight setups are smart investment for your fishing enjoyment and health. Need I say more? thumb

Last edited by Bankfisher50; 06/29/15 10:05 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10947428 06/29/15 10:21 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
On casting muscle, a friend of mine is now just getting started fishing and he is a lot more muscular than l but can only manage a quarter of my casting distance roflmao I have my works cut out for me trying to train him to do distance casting.

Muscles helps, but leveraging techniques and learn how to work with the winds are more important to how far and accurate you can cast. That's my 2cents and my final answer. roflmao

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10947805 06/30/15 01:49 AM
F
feeton Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
any reports?

catch fish not feelings
Re: Denison Dam [Re: BankAngler50] #10948048 06/30/15 03:27 AM
F
fishinmachine Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Bankfisher50
Muscles helps, but leveraging techniques and learn how to work with the winds are more important to how far and accurate you can cast...

All that, plus a FULL spool of line, a fair amount of practice, and knowing when to add just the right amount of steel or lead to that favorite popper.

Re: Denison Dam [Re: BankAngler50] #10948399 06/30/15 01:03 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
Originally Posted By: Bankfisher50
Re casting, The whiplash action of the rod tip is what unleashes the loaded energy of your rod when you're casting. For accuracy and distance casting counter force is required at base of your rod to completely stop the pendulum momentum of the rod...when you're loading the rod your elbow and shoulder joints are compressed then the joints are abruptly decompressed and pulled at the shoulder and elbow when you unload your rig every cast... if you cast all day it can ruin your joints severely over time. The heavier the moving object the more force is needed to stop it, try to swing a one pound, 32 oz, of melon over head then bring it to a complete stop at chest level... Now repeat the the process with a loaf of bread... It makes a world of difference.

High end rods are engineered for strong backbone and ultra light weight.
While key features of high end reels are the power and smoothness of the drag system and their sealing technology that protects and maintains the high performance of reel internal gears. They also tend to be less bulky and are light weight. Powerful and smooth drag means can wear out the fish more quickly so can horse big fish in and land fish before it spool your reel down current to snag others lines or break off.

Bottom line is if you can afford it and you'd like to fish for a lot longer, high end lightweight setups are smart investment for your fishing enjoyment and health. Need I say more? thumb

this is someone who gets it! thumb

that said, I've already had my shoulder rebuilt, & I'm on the sidelines now w/ tendonitis due directly from this kind of fishing, WITH the previously mentioned hi-end, lightweight gear.
I think it's fair to say that this kind of fishing, done successfully, takes a lot out of conditioned bodies, & will break those that are not.
Those of you new to this need to pay attention & don't injure yourself.
good casting form is just as important to defeating fatingue as the gear is.

[Linked Image]
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10949425 06/30/15 08:32 PM
C
cudakilla Offline
Angler
Angler
C
The rods I build all have slightly longer butt sections. There's a lot you can learn from watching and reading up about surf and long distance casting. Even with shorter 8-9' rods, push with upper hand and pull back with lower hand on the butt end of rod. I have a shoulder injury so I compensate by using more power on the lower end of the rod to load it. A good rod will be balanced in the hand, not just light (which helps a lot). Match rod to the load you are casting. Some will have a sweet spot(lure weight) which will be perfect for your style. I can often cast a light lure further with a shorter rod that is matched to that weight than a longer one that is not. That also saves you a lot of stress and energy. Especially if you are casting all day with it. I also like a blank that recovers quickly after a cast so it does not recoil too much.

Last edited by cudakilla; 06/30/15 08:33 PM.

www.cudakilla.com
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach
Cudakilla Videos
Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10952479 07/02/15 03:08 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Stripers Dark Knight has arrived (a day late )

Last edited by Bankfisher50; 07/02/15 03:20 AM.

Re: Denison Dam [Re: BankAngler50] #10953162 07/02/15 03:07 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
You need to put it to good use ASAP.

Re: Denison Dam [Re: moonriver] #10953230 07/02/15 03:44 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Already spooled it w 30# power pro ss n paired with my TD S Classic 12' rod, got some 8" 6" poppers a couple of 1oz cobra bucktails, just need to get a few 2 n 2.5 oz bt. will put to use good use either on 4th or 5th. Hope to meet some you at DD .
I'm excited banana can't wait !

Re: Denison Dam [Re: TheRodFather] #10953261 07/02/15 04:06 PM
T
T3 Surf Rods Offline
Angler
Angler
T
nices setup B.

Page 523 of 568 1 2 521 522 523 524 525 567 568
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide