Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,855
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10906118 06/09/15 08:19 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Excellent! Great photos to go with the story!!

I'm PUMPED beyond belief. No work for a week and salt in the air!!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10932740 06/22/15 03:42 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Well, it was a humbling trip. Got in town Sunday only to find out the storm was upgraded to a Tropical Storm Bill. Monday I set out not knowing whether to stay or run. I fished for 2 hours in high wind in my pirogue. I could hardly relax waiting on the storm plane to return with data from the storm. I went in without a bite....casted as some mullet. smile

Tuesday and Wednesday I did not fish. Tuesday the wind was so strong and the storm surge was hitting. It really didn't rain much Monday and Tuesday...typical summer shower. Wednesday the rain came with the wind. I got back on the water Thursday as the storm surge was leaving. I noticed some strange fish working down the grass line. Gar, mermaid, not sure....it was fat and had large grey scales. It went along without noticing my fly. It did get my heart going.

The fish were popping the water up shallow....I doubt it was game fish....but I tried topwater popper fly and had a few small fish chase after it....I guess I couldn't pop it fast enough for them, and ran out of line at the rod tip.

I did a lot of blind casting....mullet casting.

As I was about to give up I notice a small grass island and what looked like about 3/4" fin sticking up moving around it. I set anchor and casted to it about 10 minutes until I felt like I spooked it off...I guess it was a small redfish.

I gave up and packed it up.

Of course Friday when we left the bay turned to glass and my head and heart sank as I loaded the pirogue up to head home.

I talked to one lady who fished sun up to sun down and caught her limit of red and black drum. Using live shrimp. I guess my expectations were a bit higher...at least catch a croaker. LOL!

The grass was growing nicely along the bay....State has done a great job replanting.

Tropical Storm Bill - Not that scary - But you see the grass is now under the Storm Surge. There was grass as far as you could see...under normal tide.

Storm Surge on the back roads. I was driving around while the baby took a nap...only sure fire way to get a nap. Plus I had to look for my next fishing haunt. (next trip)

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10932750 06/22/15 03:45 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
BTW I used the 9 weight the first day, but blinding casting with it was a work out....and seemed overrated for the fish I was after (it's intended for LA redfish). I switched to my 7 Weight Switch Rod and used it the rest of the time. It was easier to cast in the wind and work down the grass lines.

I see why most people fishing Texas coast go smaller rods....fish just don't get that big in the bay. From what I could tell.

Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10934811 06/23/15 03:30 PM
D
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

I see why most people fishing Texas coast go smaller rods....fish just don't get that big in the bay. From what I could tell.

For the most part, rod size is for line size which is for fly size. Until the fish get really big, fish size has little to do with it.

When I gets the cravin to chase fat girls, I call on Bass Bug
Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10950426 07/01/15 04:18 AM
T
tombobbleheads Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
it is great idea

Re: 1st Trip to the Bay with the Fly Rod [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10958789 07/06/15 04:32 AM
A
ARReflections Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I need to get down to the salt and try the fly.

Mark 1:17 ><>
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide