Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10705841 03/18/15 09:55 PM
P
Papa John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
What I was taught as a kid by my mom and dad as the do's and don'ts of fishin':
1. If somebody is working a bank from the shore, work the bank in the opposite direction they are going.
2. Be polite and greet the people you come across either on the water or the shore.
3. If in a boat, give the other boat 75 to 100 yards distance, especially if you see them catching fish!!!
Go find your own fish.
4. Don't let others push you off a spot you are fishing and never crowd someone who's catching fish. If
they invite you over, say thank you, but still don't crowd them.
5. Never move ahead of someone in a boat and fish their water.

All this comes as second nature if you were taught that as a child. And for sure remember your kids are watching you, whatever you do is ok for them to do.

fish

"21 Ft Sun Tracker Fishing Barge, Trackin' some slabs"
Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10706911 03/19/15 04:45 AM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
If I can cast that far, they are too close. I will always try to hit their boat with a large slab or weight. My water, my fish!! I won't move in on you. Show me the same respect. Bank fishermen are limited, NEVER fish near them. flame

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10707552 03/19/15 02:59 PM
S
smove Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Well, what do you do when the situation is just the opposite? I had the luxury of fishing from a boat this weekend and at the time there were no bank fishers. Then all of a sudden they come out the woodwork casting lines within 3-4 feet of where we're fishing. So we decided to move on and not cause any issues or a scene. Then as we're moving up the creek the bank guys are literally casting there lines across the entire creek to the other side. Now they see us coming and we even warn them that their lines are across our pass (no way to go around it) and they are standing within 2 feet of their rods & reel and do not reel them in. Now we're trolling, so they had plenty of time to move their lines but they refused to do so. Then they get all upset when their lines get caught by the trolling motor.

Now don't get me wrong, most of the fishing I do is bank fishing and I respect ALL FISHERMAN (Bankers & Boaters)but fishing etiquette is needed by all fisherman and not just one group...

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10707608 03/19/15 03:18 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I would get upset if my trolling motor caught their lines. That could be expensive to me. frown

I agree that all fishermen should be grown up enough to show some manners and respect other fishermen. And the person who starts fishing a spot first should be allowed to fish that spot without other fishermen intruding.

At Joe Pool Marina the fishing barge is across from my slip dock. There are signs on the fishing barge not to cast from that side of the barge. Yet barge fishermen cast from that side all the time, which can cause problems when a boat tries to get into their slip or to the marina gas pump.

I'm fortunate to have an end slip so it does not impact me much. But I often seen problems with boats tangling lines trying to get in. And yes, those on the barge whose lines are tangled often get mad.

It doesn't matter to them that they are disobeying the barge rules by casting floats across that space. Some people believe that their desires are the only ones that matters and they should be allowed to do anything they want to do, regardless of how their actions impact on other people. A thief is a prime example of this.

If we would all just start showing other people the respect that we want them to show us these problems would not exist.

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: ezgoing] #10707900 03/19/15 05:05 PM
P
Papa John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: ezgoing
I would get upset if my trolling motor caught their lines. That could be expensive to me. frown

I agree that all fishermen should be grown up enough to show some manners and respect other fishermen. And the person who starts fishing a spot first should be allowed to fish that spot without other fishermen intruding.

At Joe Pool Marina the fishing barge is across from my slip dock. There are signs on the fishing barge not to cast from that side of the barge. Yet barge fishermen cast from that side all the time, which can cause problems when a boat tries to get into their slip or to the marina gas pump.

I'm fortunate to have an end slip so it does not impact me much. But I often seen problems with boats tangling lines trying to get in. And yes, those on the barge whose lines are tangled often get mad.

It doesn't matter to them that they are disobeying the barge rules by casting floats across that space. Some people believe that their desires are the only ones that matters and they should be allowed to do anything they want to do, regardless of how their actions impact on other people. A thief is a prime example of this.

If we would all just start showing other people the respect that we want them to show us these problems would not exist.

They say you can't fix stupid, and as Sam Elliot says, they are a "special kind of stupid". At times we will have these folks to deal with and hopefully it won't go too far!!!

mad fish

"21 Ft Sun Tracker Fishing Barge, Trackin' some slabs"
Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10709243 03/20/15 01:26 AM
T
tundra rich Offline
Angler
Angler
T
As a bank guy this is where I start pitching across all thier lines creating a bunch of non-sense...use something nasty, one of those multi-hooked-green fish getters! The ones that really get me are those with power tools cutting the good stuff out of the way....just to drive a 20 foot boat down a creek....when the fish are literally on the bank.

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10709945 03/20/15 11:48 AM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I accidentally Hooked a jet ski that was doing donuts in front of me and spraying water on Lewisville out of the Doe Branch Park. I was cat fishing with stinky punch bait. The Sheriff got real grumpy with me. I guess I was facing assault charges. The hook caught the dudes arm and then he took all my braided line, bent the spool shaft on the real when it broke off, 60 lb test. bout ripped the pole from my hands. After my statement and witnesses statements I never heard another thing.??

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10709982 03/20/15 12:18 PM
C
crapyetr Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
C
the Golden Rule always works

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10722534 03/25/15 01:43 PM
W
windfarm1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
On Sunday my buddy and I were fishing a brush pile that was visible in 3 ft of water between our boat and the end of a dock that was 20 feet away. A guy in a little boat PADDLED between our boat and the dock. There is no etiquette on this lake at all. I've been fishing before and had my partner actually have to push another boat with his foot to keep it from banging into mine while fishing a brush pile. We were anchored up and these other guys decided they would stop and start fishing the same exact place. Another time I was anchored up about 25 feet from the bank and literally catching crappie on every cast for about 15 minutes. As I was measuring a fish and rebaiting, a man with his young grandson and wife came over and made 3 casts between my boat and the shoreline. The kid looked embarrassed and the wife wouldn't make eye contact.

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: Buz] #10722656 03/25/15 02:30 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Buz
Many of those among us are simply not gifted with either common sense or common courtsey, you can find it in fishing and every other aspect of life......:-(((

That is signature worthy right there!

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: AggieKenny] #10723120 03/25/15 05:23 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
My experience is this is the norm with crappie fisherman, Crappie guys have no problem pulling their boats right up by you. Bass fisherman although sometimes get close they do not pull right up to the side of you.

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: Ranger1] #10723154 03/25/15 05:36 PM
T
tundra rich Offline
Angler
Angler
T
popcorn lol crappie guy norm roflmao

Re: Fishing Etiquette? [Re: LSUANDY] #10723344 03/25/15 07:01 PM
I
iluvfishin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Lol i like these threads. All the e-thugs come out

But really claiming to chunk lead at people who are too near is the dumbest thing ever. You can seriously injure someone, hell even kill them. Or how about you run into one of these crazies they got running around and you get shot over some stupid shhhhh..

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide