Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Etiquette?

Posted By: LSUANDY

Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 03:13 PM

Yesterday was anchored so I could fish two large stick ups out of 100's to choose from in 4 feet of water. 3 guys come along and we chit chat a bit. Then they circle around and all three of them began working around both my stickups from the backside?

Then they go into a small creek where there are 20 people trying to bank fish and begin fishing the same stickups the bankers were?

Are either of these cool to do in Texas? If not what wouldve been the proper response?
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 03:28 PM

I wouldn't do it here in Oklahoma lol, not sure I'd do it anywhere. Just because they're in a boat doesn't mean they have the right to fish the same stickups as the guys on the bank. If they were fishing stickups that were out of reach from other ppl then I would say go for it
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 03:30 PM

lame
especially for the bank fisherman
Posted By: cva34

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 03:38 PM

Kinda remind me of Floundering on foot on a shore line and a floundering boat comes across the Bay and pull 25 y ahead of you and stays ahead of you ..Getting everything before you get to it..SUCKS is word..
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 03:50 PM

Guy lets teach our kids friends and family about the right way to conduct business when fishing and that way we can tackle a percentage of the rude, inconsiderate people who our teaching the wrong thing to folks. with social media, smart phones and internet these days people skills are all but gone in some folks and they sometimes actually dont think anythings wrong....smh
Posted By: Gdogg89

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: cva34
Kinda remind me of Floundering on foot on a shore line and a floundering boat comes across the Bay and pull 25 y ahead of you and stays ahead of you ..Getting everything before you get to it..SUCKS is word..

Time for a little leap frog action.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 05:48 PM

I went chasing sandies up a creek last weekend and had 4 different bass boats run all the way up and back down the creek with their outboards. creek is only about 10 yards wide. I was getting pissed. There were 30 other bankers there who all had their fishing affected because of inconsiderate people.
Posted By: Jay In Somerville

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 06:17 PM

Im 34 and have been fishing since I was young. Bad thing is, seems like this is only getting worse instead of getting better. People dont seem to remember that there is such a thing called fishing etiquette.
Posted By: Pop751

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 06:34 PM

It's not the way to fish no matter where you are. splat
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 08:26 PM

I bank fish almost exclusively (no boat). When the occasional idiot trolls his boat right in front of me, i do not... i repeat...do not alter my casts. If I cast over the inconsiderate boater, then so be it. If my line gets in his propeller, then so be it. I don't 'aim' for their boat, but I also don't recognize their presence (kinda like they are not recognizing mine).
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 08:29 PM

My grandfather taught me 65 years ago that when you were fishing from a boat you did not fish in casting distance of another fisherman. It doesn't matter if the other fisherman is fishing from a bank or a boat, you did not fish within his casting range.

When fishing from the bank you should give other bank fishermen several feet on each side so they have room to manipulate their rods. And you should never cast where you just saw them catch a fish or to the water in front of them.

As to solutions, I was taught to cast into them and tangle lines. About the third time the lines are tangled they usually get the message and leave.

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound
I bank fish almost exclusively (no boat). When the occasional idiot trolls his boat right in front of me, i do not... i repeat...do not alter my casts. If I cast over the inconsiderate boater, then so be it. If my line gets in his propeller, then so be it. I don't 'aim' for their boat, but I also don't recognize their presence (kinda like they are not recognizing mine).

I fished the Mississippi Gulf for about 20 years before moving back here. Many of the shore fishermen there keep a rod with a heavy sinker on it, no hooks or lures.

When a boat or jet skier came within casting distance of them they would pick up that rod and throw the sinker at the them, often hitting the boat or jet ski.

I was there once when a jet skier bought the game warden over after this happened to him, demanding the gw arrest the fisherman for trying to hit him with a heavy lure. The gw talked with all the shore fishermen, then arrested the jet skier for endangering the shore fishermen for operating his jet ski at too high a speed too close to the shore fishermen.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

I fished the Mississippi Gulf for about 20 years before moving back here. Many of the shore fishermen there keep a rod with a heavy sinker on it, no hooks or lures.

When a boat or jet skier came within casting distance of them they would pick up that rod and throw the sinker at the them, often hitting the boat or jet ski.

I was there once when a jet skier bought the game warden over after this happened to him, demanding the gw arrest the fisherman for trying to hit him with a heavy lure. The gw talked with all the shore fishermen, then arrested the jet skier for endangering the shore fishermen for operating his jet ski at too high a speed too close to the shore fishermen.

thumb
Posted By: Buz

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 09:38 PM

Many of those among us are simply not gifted with either common sense or common courtsey, you can find it in fishing and every other aspect of life......:-(((
Posted By: Mark L

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 09:50 PM

A habit that irritates me is when you are on a brush pile or structure and a boat comes up to "chat" and you hear a beep, see a hand on their depth finder and you know they just added a waypoint on their GPS.
Posted By: Papa John

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/18/15 09:55 PM

What I was taught as a kid by my mom and dad as the do's and don'ts of fishin':
1. If somebody is working a bank from the shore, work the bank in the opposite direction they are going.
2. Be polite and greet the people you come across either on the water or the shore.
3. If in a boat, give the other boat 75 to 100 yards distance, especially if you see them catching fish!!!
Go find your own fish.
4. Don't let others push you off a spot you are fishing and never crowd someone who's catching fish. If
they invite you over, say thank you, but still don't crowd them.
5. Never move ahead of someone in a boat and fish their water.

All this comes as second nature if you were taught that as a child. And for sure remember your kids are watching you, whatever you do is ok for them to do.

fish
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/19/15 04:45 AM

If I can cast that far, they are too close. I will always try to hit their boat with a large slab or weight. My water, my fish!! I won't move in on you. Show me the same respect. Bank fishermen are limited, NEVER fish near them. flame
Posted By: smove

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/19/15 02:59 PM

Well, what do you do when the situation is just the opposite? I had the luxury of fishing from a boat this weekend and at the time there were no bank fishers. Then all of a sudden they come out the woodwork casting lines within 3-4 feet of where we're fishing. So we decided to move on and not cause any issues or a scene. Then as we're moving up the creek the bank guys are literally casting there lines across the entire creek to the other side. Now they see us coming and we even warn them that their lines are across our pass (no way to go around it) and they are standing within 2 feet of their rods & reel and do not reel them in. Now we're trolling, so they had plenty of time to move their lines but they refused to do so. Then they get all upset when their lines get caught by the trolling motor.

Now don't get me wrong, most of the fishing I do is bank fishing and I respect ALL FISHERMAN (Bankers & Boaters)but fishing etiquette is needed by all fisherman and not just one group...

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/19/15 03:18 PM

I would get upset if my trolling motor caught their lines. That could be expensive to me. frown

I agree that all fishermen should be grown up enough to show some manners and respect other fishermen. And the person who starts fishing a spot first should be allowed to fish that spot without other fishermen intruding.

At Joe Pool Marina the fishing barge is across from my slip dock. There are signs on the fishing barge not to cast from that side of the barge. Yet barge fishermen cast from that side all the time, which can cause problems when a boat tries to get into their slip or to the marina gas pump.

I'm fortunate to have an end slip so it does not impact me much. But I often seen problems with boats tangling lines trying to get in. And yes, those on the barge whose lines are tangled often get mad.

It doesn't matter to them that they are disobeying the barge rules by casting floats across that space. Some people believe that their desires are the only ones that matters and they should be allowed to do anything they want to do, regardless of how their actions impact on other people. A thief is a prime example of this.

If we would all just start showing other people the respect that we want them to show us these problems would not exist.
Posted By: Papa John

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/19/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
I would get upset if my trolling motor caught their lines. That could be expensive to me. frown

I agree that all fishermen should be grown up enough to show some manners and respect other fishermen. And the person who starts fishing a spot first should be allowed to fish that spot without other fishermen intruding.

At Joe Pool Marina the fishing barge is across from my slip dock. There are signs on the fishing barge not to cast from that side of the barge. Yet barge fishermen cast from that side all the time, which can cause problems when a boat tries to get into their slip or to the marina gas pump.

I'm fortunate to have an end slip so it does not impact me much. But I often seen problems with boats tangling lines trying to get in. And yes, those on the barge whose lines are tangled often get mad.

It doesn't matter to them that they are disobeying the barge rules by casting floats across that space. Some people believe that their desires are the only ones that matters and they should be allowed to do anything they want to do, regardless of how their actions impact on other people. A thief is a prime example of this.

If we would all just start showing other people the respect that we want them to show us these problems would not exist.

They say you can't fix stupid, and as Sam Elliot says, they are a "special kind of stupid". At times we will have these folks to deal with and hopefully it won't go too far!!!

mad fish
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/20/15 01:26 AM

As a bank guy this is where I start pitching across all thier lines creating a bunch of non-sense...use something nasty, one of those multi-hooked-green fish getters! The ones that really get me are those with power tools cutting the good stuff out of the way....just to drive a 20 foot boat down a creek....when the fish are literally on the bank.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/20/15 11:48 AM

I accidentally Hooked a jet ski that was doing donuts in front of me and spraying water on Lewisville out of the Doe Branch Park. I was cat fishing with stinky punch bait. The Sheriff got real grumpy with me. I guess I was facing assault charges. The hook caught the dudes arm and then he took all my braided line, bent the spool shaft on the real when it broke off, 60 lb test. bout ripped the pole from my hands. After my statement and witnesses statements I never heard another thing.??
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/20/15 12:18 PM

the Golden Rule always works
Posted By: windfarm1

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/25/15 01:43 PM

On Sunday my buddy and I were fishing a brush pile that was visible in 3 ft of water between our boat and the end of a dock that was 20 feet away. A guy in a little boat PADDLED between our boat and the dock. There is no etiquette on this lake at all. I've been fishing before and had my partner actually have to push another boat with his foot to keep it from banging into mine while fishing a brush pile. We were anchored up and these other guys decided they would stop and start fishing the same exact place. Another time I was anchored up about 25 feet from the bank and literally catching crappie on every cast for about 15 minutes. As I was measuring a fish and rebaiting, a man with his young grandson and wife came over and made 3 casts between my boat and the shoreline. The kid looked embarrassed and the wife wouldn't make eye contact.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/25/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Buz
Many of those among us are simply not gifted with either common sense or common courtsey, you can find it in fishing and every other aspect of life......:-(((

That is signature worthy right there!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/25/15 05:23 PM

My experience is this is the norm with crappie fisherman, Crappie guys have no problem pulling their boats right up by you. Bass fisherman although sometimes get close they do not pull right up to the side of you.
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/25/15 05:36 PM

popcorn lol crappie guy norm roflmao
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Fishing Etiquette? - 03/25/15 07:01 PM

Lol i like these threads. All the e-thugs come out

But really claiming to chunk lead at people who are too near is the dumbest thing ever. You can seriously injure someone, hell even kill them. Or how about you run into one of these crazies they got running around and you get shot over some stupid shhhhh..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum