Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How to become a better fisherman!!!! #10667299 03/04/15 04:57 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I got this out of a book on bass fishing years ago when I was a more diverse fisherman and targeted many more species. This is not all the suggestions, but I thought most of these would be pretty appropriate for new or novice crappie anglers.

1) Seek advice from several reliable fisherman. Reliable=fisherman that consistently catch fish both on home lakes and other lakes. A fisherman that consistently catches the biggest fish. Avoid fisherman that are trying to attract a crowd.

2) Ask questions but take the time to sincerely listen!!!!

3) Do NOT share your personal fishing successes. You will NEVER learn anything with your mouth open! This should be a learning experience..not a bragging one!

4) Dont be afraid to try something different if it is shared.

5) Dont abuse the fact that you do have someones attention. Be courteous and respect anothers time. Always thank a fisherman for their input.

6) Dont be overly pushy. Dont invite yourself or suggest that you fish with someone. It is perfectly okay to ask if there is a possibility of some future trip.

7) Do NOT challenge or disagree with the information. Keep those comments to yourself.

Lastly, dont abuse any information or share fishing locations with others. This is one of the biggest culprits to ending a knowledgeable fishermans relationship with a novice and the reason many are reluctant to share with anyone in the future.

Good fishing!!!!!!

Here is a little story about myself as a young angler. I once went to Chicago(yep...ex Yankee) to see a seminar put on by Babe Winkleman(at the time a superior walleye angler). My dad drove and several other fisherman went with us, including a friend of mine. We were actually at fishing show.....but I knew of the seminar and was adamant that I go see Babe. We got a seat up front early and sat for a long time to reserve our front position. He had a great presentation and after it he had a question and answer time. My friend kept coaxing me to ask something so I finally raised my hand. My question was how big of a sinker should I use for fishing with a night crawler. Babe walked up to my seat and in front of 1,359,968 fisherman(at least it seemed so) exclaimed....."are you a bullhead fisherman'? Well everyone knows the lowest form of fisherman is a bullhead fisherman and with the masses howling in laughter, I exited the seminar at a solid 6 inches tall and shrinking steadily in height.............never to ask another question for the rest of my eternity.

From that day forward I asked no questions and entered into the "school of hard knocks"! That is the slowest route to successful fishing for anyone. Don't be afraid to ask......just ask the right people!!!!

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667334 03/04/15 05:04 PM
S
Stucky76 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger
I got this out of a book on bass fishing years ago when I was a more diverse fisherman and targeted many more species. This is not all the suggestions, but I thought most of these would be pretty appropriate for new or novice crappie anglers.

1) Seek advice from several reliable fisherman. Reliable=fisherman that consistently catch fish both on home lakes and other lakes. A fisherman that consistently catches the biggest fish. Avoid fisherman that are trying to attract a crowd.

2) Ask questions but take the time to sincerely listen!!!!

3) Do NOT share your personal fishing successes. You will NEVER learn anything with your mouth open! This should be a learning experience..not a bragging one!

4) Dont be afraid to try something different if it is shared.

5) Dont abuse the fact that you do have someones attention. Be courteous and respect anothers time. Always thank a fisherman for their input.

6) Dont be overly pushy. Dont invite yourself or suggest that you fish with someone. It is perfectly okay to ask if there is a possibility of some future trip.

7) Do NOT challenge or disagree with the information. Keep those comments to yourself.

Lastly, dont abuse any information or share fishing locations with others. This is one of the biggest culprits to ending a knowledgeable fishermans relationship with a novice and the reason many are reluctant to share with anyone in the future.

Good fishing!!!!!!

Here is a little story about myself as a young angler. I once went to Chicago(yep...ex Yankee) to see a seminar put on by Babe Winkleman(at the time a superior walleye angler). My dad drove and several other fisherman went with us, including a friend of mine. We were actually at fishing show.....but I knew of the seminar and was adamant that I go see Babe. We got a seat up front early and sat for a long time to reserve our front position. He had a great presentation and after it he had a question and answer time. My friend kept coaxing me to ask something so I finally raised my hand. My question was how big of a sinker should I use for fishing with a night crawler. Babe walked up to my seat and in front of 1,359,968 fisherman(at least it seemed so) exclaimed....."are you a bullhead fisherman'? Well everyone knows the lowest form of fisherman is a bullhead fisherman and with the masses howling in laughter, I exited the seminar at a solid 6 inches tall and shrinking steadily in height.............never to ask another question for the rest of my eternity.

From that day forward I asked no questions and entered into the "school of hard knocks"! That is the slowest route to successful fishing for anyone. Don't be afraid to ask......just ask the right people!!!!

clap roflmao

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667376 03/04/15 05:11 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Maybe thats why grandpappy used to always say,,, children should be seen and not heard. I guess when we are children we ask stupid questions, but think they are not stupid. Not that your question was stupid.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667408 03/04/15 05:19 PM
F
FavPastTime Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Well put, I agree completely. As a novice crappie fisherman I love to pick the experienced and as you have put it "reliable" angler's brains. I love to hear their input on everything from bait choice, location, depth and structure, etc. without coming across desperate or arrogant. Another thing I shoot for is putting as many hours on the water as possible, in a sense that I feel only those who are willing to put forth the effort and dedication deserve the time of someone who is willing to share information. If you are not willing to put in your own time on the water, to me it is no different than say not studying in school before a test and then cheating off your neighbor who put forth the effort and studied all night.

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667419 03/04/15 05:22 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
It was a pretty stupid question....I may have worded it differently!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667426 03/04/15 05:23 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Hey Stucky......you think Darrell was ever a novice?????

Visit me on Facebook!!!
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: leanin post] #10667467 03/04/15 05:33 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: leanin post
Maybe thats why grandpappy used to always say,,, children should be seen and not heard. I guess when we are children we ask stupid questions, but think they are not stupid. Not that your question was stupid.

No, his question wasn't stupid, but Babe Winkleman's answer was stupid and proved he wasn't much of a man.

A man would not have used a child to build his own ego by displaying what he stupidly thought was wit to embarrass the child. A man would have answered the question in a way that did not embarrass the child in front of the entire crowd.

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: ezgoing] #10667486 03/04/15 05:39 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
+1

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667527 03/04/15 05:53 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Guys.....I wasn't exactly a child....I was a teen. BUT Babe may have been a bit cocky. Actually.....he had made that comment during his seminar several times. It's all good.....he is a great sportsman!!! I just made his show entertaining and I was kind timid!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667561 03/04/15 06:00 PM
Matthew Carroll Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
bolt
Well are you a Bull Headed fisherman?
noidea

Member Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
2015 CAT DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPION
Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Matthew Carroll] #10667743 03/04/15 06:50 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Matthew Carroll
bolt
Well are you a Bull Headed fisherman?
noidea

I've fished for them from my kayak. Their actual a beautiful fish in their natural habbitat. Not so much in ponds. I've been know to chase them all back in the day. Bowfin can be a blast during spawn and post spawn as well. I'm excited I got a new kayak last week. Ready to hit rivers , creeks and salt water again.

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10667937 03/04/15 07:44 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger
Guys.....I wasn't exactly a child....I was a teen. BUT Babe may have been a bit cocky. Actually.....he had made that comment during his seminar several times. It's all good.....he is a great sportsman!!! I just made his show entertaining and I was kind timid!

Were you trying to heckle him or were you asking what you thought was a serious question.

You may have been a teen but you were young and inexperienced. A decent man would have treated your question with respect and answered it in a way that did not humiliate you.

Instead he choose to humiliate a kid to make himself look superior to the ignorant in his crowd by getting them to laugh at you. You have reported how bad he made you feel in front of his audience so he could have an entertaining show for the ignorant, as only the ignorant laugh at the questions of the young.

So sorry, he may be good at catching some types of fish but he is not a great sportsman nor is he a very decent man. He's not somebody I would want my kids and grand-kids to look up to as a role model.

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Tommy Ezell] #10667953 03/04/15 07:49 PM
D
dwmoore Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
A person who ask a question is a fool for a minute .A person who never ask a question is a fool for life.Now you said you never asked another question soooooo.Ha Come see me I gotta lot of questions for ya.Darrell

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10668010 03/04/15 08:04 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I agree with most; but not sharing fishing locations. There are many ways to share them that does not end a relationship. I enjoy sharing what I know about them with other deserving persons.

Re: How to become a better fisherman!!!! [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10668045 03/04/15 08:13 PM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Here's a fishing tip: roflmao

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide