Print Thread
Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? #1056316 12/14/06 01:36 AM
R
Ranger R Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which has the most movement in water? Which one has more current?

Also, what is the numbers beside the tides? Example Low Tide: 8AM, 0.04 ; High Tide 9PM, -0.35

Novice fisherman, asking novice questions...

Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: Ranger R] #1056620 12/14/06 04:31 AM
W
wading_fool Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
In the Rockport area i have always done better fishing on 2 tide days. The 4 tide days just do not get the water moving enough to position the fish on the structure. I like a falling tide in the morning and turn around sometime early afternoon if I am trout fishing, and reds it doesn't really matter I will go up on the flats and fish for them on incoming and fall off with them on a falling tide

Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: wading_fool] #1065465 12/20/06 05:45 AM
Larry Bozka Offline
Angler
Angler
Generally, four tides a day means twice as much quality fishing opportunity as two tides a day. That said, areas like Rockport and Baffin Bay, where bay-to-Gulf passes are few and far between, tend to have water movement far more dictated by wind than tides.

The critical factor is the amount of rise and fall. You mention the 0.04 measurement, for example. This would translate to a near-nonexistent amount of fall (4/100 of an inch below mean tide level) as opposed to -(?)0.35 (as for the minus sign question mark, I am guessing you are pitching the negative reading out as a for-instance possibility as opposed to a quote from a tide table, since the high tide measurement would show an increase in the water level, in this case of just over 3/10 of an inch above mean tide level).

My revamped website/blog, www.coastalanglers.com, has a Tide Prediction page which, if you plug in the dates and location, will provide accurate info (and rest assured, the geographic location up and down the coast does play a role as well, since all readings are based upon specific measurement stations, such as the Clear Lake Channel or Aransas Jetties, etc.).

Further complicating matters is the fact that wind can play such a major role in seasonal water levels. A hard north wind blows the water out, and can create dangerous navigation scenarios in oyster-heavy bays like West Galveston Bay. Conversely, a strong, pumping south wind blows the water in (the most extreme example being during a tropical storm or hurricane, when a massive amount of water from far out in the Gulf is carried in via a "storm surge").

When you are fishing bay areas with sloughs or feeder channels, a falling tide tends to be great (when sufficient water is dropping to pull forage species out of the sloughs and deposit the baitfish, crabs and shrimp into the areas near the shorelines). A north wind can, again, exaggerate this effect, which can make areas like this prime fishing locales at this time of year ... especially several days after a cold front, and specifically in shallow areas with dark mud bottoms that draw and hold heat.

All that considered ... and I sure as heck don't claim to have all the answers (and anyone who does is kidding himself), a lot of this boils down to the specific area you fish ... deep water or shallow, jetties or flats, etc. As a rule of thumb, if you can fish any area in which the water level and/or bottom contour/consistency changes considerably in a short distance, you are working in a promising area. Color changes, and perhaps foremost, the presence of bait/forage species are also key indicators for productive casting.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Good fishing and a very happy holiday to you and yours ...

Boz

Last edited by Larry Bozka; 12/20/06 05:52 AM.

Larry Bozka
Coastal Anglers
Contributing Writer/Saltwater - Tide Magazine, Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, Texas Sporting Journal
Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: Larry Bozka] #1065556 12/20/06 11:38 AM
bobaloo1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Totally agree...all the places I generally fish on the coast (with or w/out boat) have several inches of change and some water is constantly moving some in or out...these places are automatic. Bait is constantly forced to move and predators are there constantly. A prime example would be cuts between two or more large bays, cuts from gulf to bay, ship channels and shrimper channels from bays to docks, etc. Tight lines!!

Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: bobaloo1] #1067867 12/21/06 05:34 PM
M
marbravo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I have been wrong before, but I believe those numbers like "0.04" is the tide stated in feet, not inches, ie, 0.04 ft. = 0.48". I don't think it is very easy to measure 4 thousandths of an inch tide increase or decrease. Marbravo

Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: marbravo] #1068319 12/21/06 09:21 PM
R T Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I always had better fishing on 2 tide days when I fished saltwater. They seemed to be stronger flows, as opposed to 4 tide days.

It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprachaun.
Re: Two Tides or Four Tides a day. Which is best? [Re: R T] #1073865 12/26/06 05:08 AM
P
Pawnch Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Good info'. Thanks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide