Forums59
Topics1,039,354
Posts13,963,289
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10491197 12/23/14 03:03 PM
S
ssj3goten Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have a couple mojo and a bunch of legend bass rods. Some are great (drop shot/topwater/teaser) I do have a big cranker and its just ok. I only use it for square bills and lipless cranks. For deeper cranks I prefer fiberglass rods.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10495372 12/25/14 06:08 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: newbiefisher
Just got a St. Croix Tournament Series Magnum Cranker and gotta say I'm dissapointed so far. Is it just me or is this rod not very sensitive...especially for a $260 rod. I could swear my $40 BPS spinning rod is more sensitive with those DD crankbaits.

A cranking rod isn't suppose to be sensitive...

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10495570 12/25/14 08:52 PM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Neches
Just got a St. Croix Tournament Series Magnum Cranker and gotta say I'm dissapointed so far. Is it just me or is this rod not very sensitive...especially for a $260 rod. I could swear my $40 BPS spinning rod is more sensitive with those DD crankbaits.

In Oct you were looking to buy your second casting reel and had bought one you couldn't figure out how to cast or something. and now your an expert on rod sensitivity

I wonder what the purpose of this post is or what it's trying to accomplish. First, I never had a problem figuring out how to cast a baitcaser even when I bought my first one almost two years ago. What I do have a problem figuring out is why some people are so attached and obsessed with a certain brand. They get so offended if you voice your negative experience with that brand. Like St Croix or Shimano was there by their side when they needed to pay their bills, or got stranded somewhere.

Second, I never claimed to be an expert on rod sensitivity. Did you notice the subject line ends with a question mark?

Third, it doesn't take an expert to feel the difference in rod sensitivity. Especially when the difference is big. Make a long cast with a crankbait, see how well you feel the vibration at the end of that cast. It's not rocket science. And yes, I can feel the vibration better with my $40 BPS spinning rod.

People here just aren't 'getting it'. Your experience with the rod doesn't have to align with others on the forum in order for it to be true. They get sensitivity with the rod. You don't. That doesn't make you wrong, or less informed to make a choice that is better suited to your own needs. Go with what works for you, and don't listen to those here who are quick to judge others. Who cares what they think?

Scott

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10495619 12/25/14 09:43 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Always find humor in others taking offense to someone else not liking a product that they own. Usually a higher end product they have invested in and now their opinion becomes passionate. They act as though they have stock in the company. Actually they are still just trying to justify their own purchases. Interesting study in human nature! Good thing you didn't say Dobyns Rods are not sensitive or Ranger boats ride rough! :-)

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497166 12/27/14 02:41 AM
S
smjohnson63 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
It is just you. Let me give you my take on the application specific rods. A crank bait rod is not designed to be sensitive. The tip is a moderate fast tip and is designed to allow the fish to take the bait while we instinctively try to set the hook. Therefore helping the angler catch more fish instead of pulling the bait away from the fish.

Now as far as sensitivity goes. There are several factors that play a roll in sensitivity. Line, rod blank, guides these account for what I say is 40% to 50% of the sensitivity. The tip action accounts for the rest. If you look at the really sensitive rods they are usually Extra Fast and are designed for finesse fishing techniques.

All the rods I have are St. Croix with a mixture of Mojo and Legends. I have had little problems with them. The problems I did experience were because of me and not the rod. I have had eyes come out of the guides but I was using braid with a leader. The blood knot knocked it out.

I think in the end it comes down to understanding what the technique really requires from the equipment. Some techniques are all about sensitivity and some are not.

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497210 12/27/14 03:30 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Had a guide that used them once. I borrowed a couple of his rods during the trip and couldn't believe how bad they were. Not sure if he'd ever used Dobyns before, but even the Savvy series was far superior to the $200+ SC rods he had. Not sure why they just don't seem to perform as well as others in the same price range. JMHO

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497221 12/27/14 03:41 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
It's "role" Mr. One post from St. Croix family no doubt.... And obviously it's not just him!

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497233 12/27/14 03:51 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
"Ugly Stick when you are not so serious", I love bass fishing, and I very serious about my money..I have a bunch of Ugly's...!!!

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497338 12/27/14 08:17 AM
newbiefisher Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A crankbait rod is not supposed to be sensitive??? hmmm

I guess the Falcon Bucoo crankin rod got it all wrong then which is very sensitive and I absolutely love. And speaking of that rod just today I let my 6 yr old troll with it so he can catch something too and he knew right away when he got something on there because he said "Dad it's not vibrating anymore". It was a small white bass. I really think we would've trolled a long time with that white bass on there if he was using the St Croix.

Either way I love feeling the vibration of a crankbait and knowing exactly how fast it's wobbling. Feeling when you get even one strand of grass on there, when a fish just swipes at it or feeling exactly what it's hiting on the bottom (isn't that how a crank works best anyway?) That's why the St Croix is definitely not for me.

How come I keep catching small fish when every product I buy is supposed to catch more and bigger fish?
Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497352 12/27/14 10:45 AM
B
Bass_Taco Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
nothing wrong with St Croix. St. Scroix has lot more experience than you in building rods. if you call and talk to them, they are good at explaining what your getting. Before you go and make such a comparison you need to let us know both sides. So Croix magnum Cranmer is described as. a 7.10 Heavy rod with a moderate tip action. that tells me this rod is gonna be stought for pulling big, diving cb. anyway give us the model number of this $40 BPS rod you (the same one) are comparing it to?

this cheap BPS cranking rod has a lot more fiber glass and more "whippy". it's something I personally never cared for

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497370 12/27/14 12:22 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
When you ask a question like this,,,,,,then you will get both sides and a multitude of "opinions". BUT,,,,,
YES IT IS YOU.....or the next guy that doesn't like them or the next guy that thinks something is better.
Rods are like women,,,,,,,,beauty is in the eye of the beholder & just like women, a man can feel very sensitive with one and not with another.
Some folks on here would never think of using a St Croix, but that is all I use or an Ugly Stik and I catch fish all day long with them.
RODS like WOMEN are just a personal preference.
Play with what YOU like, not what others like.
& just like women,,,,,,only time will tell.

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497406 12/27/14 01:36 PM
Amberlamps Offline
Angler
Angler
I had 4 St Croix Mojo. 1 M Spinning, 1 MH , 1 MH Cranking, 1 H.

I sold them all wink

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497434 12/27/14 01:55 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Anybody that has a St Croix and doesn't like it, and it is just sitting around or hanging on a wall,,,,,, & you want to get rid of it (them) PM me.

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: Nutman] #10497438 12/27/14 02:03 PM
B
Bass_Taco Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Nutman
When you ask a question like this,,,,,,then you will get both sides and a multitude of "opinions". BUT,,,,,
YES IT IS YOU.....or the next guy that doesn't like them or the next guy that thinks something is better.
Rods are like women,,,,,,,,beauty is in the eye of the beholder & just like women, a man can feel very sensitive with one and not with another.
Some folks on here would never think of using a St Croix, but that is all I use or an Ugly Stik and I catch fish all day long with them.
RODS like WOMEN are just a personal preference.
Play with what YOU like, not what others like.
& just like women,,,,,,only time will tell.

the guy asked if it was him. many are saying " it's him" ...so don't get all philosophical on those that are giving an opinion. people on TFF offered advice to his question so they are being helpful. don't go twisting it around. so your point of view is worthless to his original question

Re: St. Croix Rod...Is it just me? [Re: newbiefisher] #10497469 12/27/14 02:27 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Try an Irod crank launcher casts well and doesn't feel like you're reeling in a lump of hydrilla. Can feel a cb through brush even when strolling.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide