Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bamboo rods #10487271 12/21/14 05:48 PM
T
Turf Dawg Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Seeing Capt Mac's great pics with his bamboo rod in there got me wondering. What are the different types of Bamboo rods? I see some that look round and some that are not, I figure the ones that are not are the split cane but are some just a piece of bamboo they put eyes and handles on? Sorry for my ignorance but I know absolutely nothing about Bamboo rods and have never seen one in person. Are they more of a fiberglass action compared to the graphite.

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10487639 12/21/14 09:42 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I think all fly rods are made with split bamboo. But I do remember fishing with "cane poles" that were made from a solid piece of bamboo, but I would not consider them "fly rods".

When they split the bamboo, they end up with pie shaped pieces that are glued together. The majority of bamboo rods are made with 6 sections, but it is possible to make one with as few as 4 sections and I've heard of 8 section rods. The more pieces of bamboo that are used, the more "round" the rod will look. When glued together, you get a solid section of the rod, the center is not hollow like on a graphite rod.

Depending on who made the rod and what "taper" they used with splitting the bamboo the action of the rod can vary. Bamboo definitely has a "feel" of its own. Older designs tended to have a slower action, but I've cast some fast action rods from some modern builders.

Bamboo rods tend to have a "mythical" reputation, but remember that all bamboo rods are not created equal, just like all graphite rods are not the same. It wasn't that long ago that basically all fly rods were made of bamboo and they were available at all price points, from discount to very expensive.

John Gierach's book "Fishing Bamboo" is a pretty good introduction to bamboo rods.

But there are some true bamboo experts on this board and maybe some of them will weigh in on this topic.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10488059 12/22/14 12:20 AM
split cane rod Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
The first point to make is the difference between bamboo, or as it grows around here, 'Calcutta'... and Tonkin Cane. The power fibers on Tonkin Cane are normally about 1/4 inch thick. Calcutta has maybe half that, or less. In Calcutta, the fibers aren't as dense, either.

There are a number of good publications on the history of bamboo fly rod building and mass production. There are also numerous websites that give tons of info.

The strips are split out of a culm that can be as large as 3" in diameter. Splitting the cane is in itself an art, because the split has to be controlled to keep it from going one direction or the other. Some manufacturers saw their strips. Just like anything else, there is controversy over which is proper.

The strips are then planed by hand in a jig, or some rodmakers use router-table-like machines to do the preliminary planing. Nodes are heated and pressed in a vise and filed on the outside of the strip. Some rodbuilders remove the nodes altogether, as this is the weakest part of the cane.

The strips are then bound together and cooked in an oven. This removes moisture, and it temporarily softens the resin that holds the fibers together. The strips straighten, and when they're cool, they become stronger than ever.

I have only built six-sided rods. There are builders that make quads and penta designs. There are schools of thought on which is stronger. I simply prefer building the six-strip rods.

This is just a glimpse of how it all starts. It usually takes me approximately 60 hours, start-to-finish, to build a split cane rod.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10488163 12/22/14 01:22 AM
T
Turf Dawg Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
JR, are all rods split cane? When I look at some of the old H&I Tonkin rods they look like they are round.

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10488322 12/22/14 02:49 AM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Horrocks & Ibbotson, as far as I know, only made hex-shaped rods. They made some pretty decent rods.

If it says Tonkin, it's 'split cane'. There IS no substitute!

Some of the old world rods were made from different types of wood, but I bought some two-piece blanks from a guy many years ago that were made by Partridge of Reddich, England. They are Tonkin Cane, and they are impregnated, much like the ones Orvis sells now.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10488957 12/22/14 03:03 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
JR builds(did build?) some beautiful cane rods. I still kick myself for not buying a little 4 weight boo he had several years ago. It was light and cast like a dream. You still make them JR?

Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489075 12/22/14 03:55 PM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Gene, I haven't split any cane in a while, but it's on my mind. My carpal tunnel flares up a bit with all the hand-planing, and I had put my planing forms & hand planes up for sale.

Anyway, the guy that said he would buy my stuff disappeared into thin air. I have enough cane to build about ten fly rods. My room to work is a little limited, but I think it's time to sharpen the plane blades.

I have a few rods that I'll never part with, especially the little 3-weight I built as my first attempt. I need to re-do the grip & reel seat. The blank came out surprisingly nice, though.

The last rod I built is a little 4-weight... the one I mentioned that I had photographed at the Blue River. I built it after I came home from Iraq, and after I spent the springtime in the New York Catskills and the summer in Alaska at Tikchik Narrows Lodge.

That rod has seen lots of use, but I have to admit that I don't carry it nearly enough. It's a beautiful rod, if I do say so myself. It has a semi-fast action with enough backbone to cast 50 or 60 feet of line.

Maybe you and I can get together and have you take it for a spin. Whatcha say, Pearow? Let's go fishin'!!

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: split cane rod] #10489145 12/22/14 04:20 PM
M
makenmend Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
split cane rod, I have one of my earliest fly rods that has traveled many miles over the years but hasn't seen service for to long. It's a 3 piece 9' bamboo (Doctor, 5 or 6 Wht I think )made by Edgar Sealey & sons Redditch England.All original and with it's bag.
Would this be a worthwhile candidate for restoration ??

MM

Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489146 12/22/14 04:20 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I have one of my grandfathers. It hangs on the wall above my fly tying bench. I'd love to cast it, but it's more sentimental than anything.

I wish I knew which make it was. He built rods too, so he may have built it, I'm just not sure.

When I hold it.......it simply feels incredible.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489326 12/22/14 05:32 PM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
makenmend, I would need to inspect the sections for any de-lamination. There are a number of factors to consider before restoring a split cane rod.

I see you live in Longview. I could take a look at the flyrod at some point.

BBT, if I were you, I'd leave that flyrod right where it is... in a place of honour right above your fly tying desk. The sentimental value is way more precious than taking the chance of breaking it. Not saying it wouldn't handle anything that Beavers Bend or The Little Red could throw at it... A person COULD slip on a mossy rock...

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489464 12/22/14 06:33 PM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
An interesting thread, I have a few very old antique cane rods that I still use on occasion one is a favorite which is a Ogden Smith 3 weight that was made in the 1800's I love the feel of the cane in casting and catching. sometimes I will put on a reel from my collection to feel history at its best on the river
Mike

".........the wood rod casts beautifully, and through it you can feel the heartbeats of the small trout."
John Gierach.
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489586 12/22/14 07:38 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
The only cane rods I have is a 7' Tonkin prince, which is a very nice old rod in wonderful condition and a "kit" rod I cut down from 9 foot to 7.5 foot because it was too heavy for me to use. I don't fish them very often but I should. They have a nice feel to them you can't get, except maybe with a few old fiberglass rods.-p-

Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10489876 12/22/14 09:47 PM
J
jboy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I have a cane rod that came from parts unknown and it cast's itself!!! Al said thats what friends are for JB. Thats to some guy named JR!

JBs welding and custom cabinets. Owner

Team ORION VP.
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: Turf Dawg] #10490084 12/22/14 11:24 PM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
JB, That rod you have was built from one of the Partridge of Reddich, England blanks.

I only have one rod left that I made from those blanks, and I doubt there are any left to be had ANYwhere. Those impregnated blanks cast like a dream! I don't know if I could even put a price on mine if someone had any interest in trying to buy it from me!

Enjoy the one you have.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Bamboo rods [Re: split cane rod] #10491598 12/23/14 05:49 PM
M
makenmend Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
" I see you live in Longview. I could take a look at the flyrod at some point."

that would be appreciated, I'll PM you my phone #

JB best wishes to you for Christmas and new years.

Pearow the 3 wht I got from you years back is still a favorite.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide