Forums59
Topics1,039,282
Posts13,962,225
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10457022 12/06/14 09:30 PM
M
mayor (crappiepete) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Welcome to the forum, you will get some good info here. welcome

Using the site for a while...this is really great to share fishing ideas and success with others.
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: pepop] #10457254 12/07/14 12:30 AM
J
Jon The Buddha Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: pepop
Jon, welcome back & to the TFF! You couldn't have picked a better time to get back into fishing in this area. I went to Palestine this afternoon around 2 & fished with jpenwell till 5 & we had 23 in the box. The morning bite has been phenomenal the past couple weeks! I rarely can fish in the morning so I have to go when I can. Check out Jason Burton's Guide Service posts lately as he has been tearin the crappie up! In fact, he has a Christmas Special goin on right now so if you want to just sit back & let Jason put you on the fish, now's a great time. If you want to hit it on your own, just head for the Hwy155 bridge and fish dark jigs early in the 12' to 14' range around the middle three columns. As the morning wears on, go deeper, till around noon if you haven't caught your limit yet, you'll probably be fishing just off bottom? Feather jigs in purple & chartreuse or black & chartreuse or several other combos are working well. Every fish I caught today came on an all brown jig some guys call "Joe Dirt". Anyway, good luck to you & no kidding, you outta give Jason a call. He's really got them dialed in right now.

Than you, Sir, for the info great info! And thanks to all for the 'Welcomes'. Look forward to seeing you guys on the water.

Crappie Diem
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: pepop] #10457840 12/08/14 05:19 AM
J
jpenwell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
First, welcome to the area and to the TFF Jon. I've spent the last two days fishing Palestine yesterday with Pepop and Saturday with another fishing buddy we call the Capt. They were both throwing those dang new "Joe Dirt's" while I stubbornly stuck with my favorite plastics in a variety of colors. Two different partners, two different boats, two different days. Same result... I was out fished 6 or 7 to one in both cases. Guess I'm a slow learner but I'm a believer in those new hand tied finesse jigs now. Suggest getting a bag of them and heading for the 155 bridge and get in on some good fishing. We fileted about 85 crappie last night after two days of fishing. Most all were caught with Pepop's feather jigs.
Originally Posted By: crope1
Vern? you the maker of that "joe dirt" jig?

Im not the original tier. There was an old gentleman named Val that created a whole line of Finesse jigs (Val's Jig's) in sizes 1/32oz, 1/48oz & 1/64oz and sold them from some small shops around Ft. Worth. Some time ago, Val passed away & his line of jigs disappeared but a couple of guys held on to a small assortment of the jigs and guarded them like they were gold. I was offered the jigs (ON LOAN) & the priveledge of trying to reproduce them. The "Joe Dirt" wasn't even among the group but the guy's described it to me & I gave it a shot. They said my version was a pretty good copy. Yesterday, I was fishing tandem jigs with 2 GIANT version's of the Joe Dirt, a 1/8oz on bottom & a 1/16oz on top. The crappie seemed to like them both.

Pepop's Lake Palestine Jig's web page is now online. Click Logo above

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10458152 12/08/14 02:00 PM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
welcome to TFF & the "Thump Addition"

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10459398 12/08/14 09:16 PM
Jason Burton Guide Service Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Welcome to the forum bud. Shoot me a pm and I'll pass on what info I have.

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: pepop] #10466653 12/11/14 11:31 PM
W
Wishbonez Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Pepop, I have lurked around this forum for a while and joined today specifically to thank you for your post(s). I had a day off yesterday and spent the morning under the bridge, left with 23 in the box at 10:45. I didn't have a "Joe Dirt" but I did catch every fish on the smallest dark colored jig I had. All caught at 16 feet in 25 feet of water on the middle columns. Exactly where you said they were. I normally would have been fishing something bigger and brighter, just off the bottom, which I saw others doing with little success. So many times on here and other forums it can be hard to figure out even what lake someone is on, and I understand that. But it was a treat to find such detailed and useful intel, and even better to put it to use and fill up a cooler. It was well worth the tank of gas (I normally fish Lavon, but every ramp on it is closed). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Wishbonez] #10466687 12/11/14 11:54 PM
J
jpenwell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I'm sure Pepop will chime in soon. But as a friend of his and also a local on Pal, I wanted to welcome you to the forum. He pretty much stays dialed in on which colors to use and where to find them here, also ties some awesome jigs. Glad you had a successful day at our home lake.
Originally Posted By: Whisbone
Pepop, I havearound this forum for a while and joined today specifically to thank you for your post(s). I had a day off yesterday and spent the morning under the bridge, left with 23 in the box at 10:45. I didn't have a "Joe Dirt" but I did catch every fish on the smallest dark colored jig I had. All caught at 16 feet in 25 feet of water on the middle columns. Exactly where you said they were. I normally would have been fishing something bigger and brighter, just off the bottom, which I saw others doing with little success. So many times on here and other forums it can be hard to figure out even what lake someone is on, and I understand that. But it was a treat to find such detailed and useful intel, and even better to put it to use and fill up a cooler. It was well worth the tank of gas (I normally fish Lavon, but every ramp on it is closed). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
welcome

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10466706 12/12/14 12:00 AM
Matthew Carroll Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Welcome to the TFF.
Keep lurking and you'll find this is one family to be proud to be a part of..
Jigum

Member Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
2015 CAT DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPION
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Matthew Carroll] #10466754 12/12/14 12:21 AM
J
jpenwell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
And heres another highly respected member that makes some mighty awesome jigs.
Originally Posted By: Matthew Carroll
Welcome to the TFF.
Keep lurking and you'll find this is one family to be proud to be a part of..
Jigum

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Wishbonez] #10466820 12/12/14 12:47 AM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Whisbone
Pepop, I have lurked around this forum for a while and joined today specifically to thank you for your post(s). I had a day off yesterday and spent the morning under the bridge, left with 23 in the box at 10:45. I didn't have a "Joe Dirt" but I did catch every fish on the smallest dark colored jig I had. All caught at 16 feet in 25 feet of water on the middle columns. Exactly where you said they were. I normally would have been fishing something bigger and brighter, just off the bottom, which I saw others doing with little success. So many times on here and other forums it can be hard to figure out even what lake someone is on, and I understand that. But it was a treat to find such detailed and useful intel, and even better to put it to use and fill up a cooler. It was well worth the tank of gas (I normally fish Lavon, but every ramp on it is closed). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Yeah. I figure that's why I keep finding these paper sack's on fire at my front door! OMG barf

Wishbone, ABSOLUTELY welcome to the TFF and especially the Crappie page. I'm glad my comments here helped you to have a good day on our GREAT lake! The fact is, I know what I know because someone once took the time to give me some pointer's, and what's more, shared a couple of his baits with me just to get me started (those who know me know who I'm talking about). I've been fortunate to be able to add a few simple tools to my box on my own but it was that initial bit of help I got that kindled a fire in me for crappie fishing, especially with artificial bait's. There are plenty of fish out there so I hope you come back and do well again.

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: pepop] #10466823 12/12/14 12:48 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Every fish I caught today came on an all brown jig some guys call "Joe Dirt".

Still waiting on a pic of this "Joe Dirt" jig.

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Txmedic033] #10467277 12/12/14 03:28 AM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
OK, I prolly shouldn't do this but....

This is the 1/16oz-#2 sickle but also popular are the 1/32oz, 1/48oz & 1/64oz

I also caught quite a few on a 1/8oz version with a little more "Sparkle"

Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10467319 12/12/14 03:44 AM
J
Jon The Buddha Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Wow, super-nice! I will definitely be getting some of those. That is actually why I was trying to pm you. Wish I had some for tomorrow morning!

Crappie Diem
Re: Howdy! New Guy Around Lake Palestine [Re: Jon The Buddha] #10467371 12/12/14 04:12 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Pepop. You know I love some jig pics.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide