Print Thread
Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch #10448369 12/02/14 04:04 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
I had a fun day out in Glen Rose Sunday thought I would share.
I was able to get away from the family obligations finally on Sunday
and catch the last of the good weather. I had been to Wheeler Branch
once before in the middle of summer and had managed to land 3 or 4 nice LMB.
I had it in my head that the walleye might have started to come shallow.
I rigged up my 9' 7wt with Rio Sink Tip, 9 ft fluorocarbon leader and some cray
fish patterns. An hour later I found myself staring into the clearest water this side
of the Caribbean. I can't stress enough how incredibly clear the water is
right now. Standing in my Yak, I could see in excess of 30 feet straight
down. It was vertigo inducing. The wind combined with my rusty casting
produced an awful lot of wind knots and no fish. Alas the the only fish seen were a few
good size LMB that were cruising and a monster Channel Cat (30lbs +)
patrolling the stumps. However, about 3PM
I spotted a large head pushing a wake at the North East finger of the lake.
A beaver, a nutria? Whatever it was it was coming right towards me.
My dog spotted it at about 30 yards and let out a few barks. Which
were promptly answered by a few barks and a loud hiss from very large creature
before it dove. At this point I was truly baffled. I stood up and moments
later the mystery was solved. Swirling and somersaulting right under my
boat was a beautiful river otter. He or she seemed genuinely curious and continued to
follow me around for at least 20 minutes. Often surfacing just yards
from the boat to exchange barks with my dog. Anyhow, this is the first
wild Otter I'd ever seen. I understood they'd become quite rare
in North Texas. Anyhow a very cool sighting.

After a few hours fighting the wind on Wheeler Branch I loaded back up
and headed to Big Rocks park on the Paluxy. I waded down stream from the dam
or wier their a few miles and confirmed that $30 worth of aquaseal later
my waders still leak like a sieve. (Anyone have any good recommendations
for stockingfoot waders that will last more than a few years?)

The fishing on the paluxy in the few holes was actually quite good. I managed
many sun fish a few small LMB and a half dozen 1-2lb Channel Cats. Pretty fun on a
5 wt. I noticed a few carp jumping and blind casted to a them with carp fly.
I did manage to hook into something big enough to straighten the hook, but I think
it was a big cat or maybe even a turtle as it just sat on the bottom cruising back and forth.

The Paluxy is a really beautiful spot and despite being wet and chilly it
felt like a million bucks watching the sun go down.

I was curious to read that the dam/wier was not built all that long ago. Downstream
the river bottom does seam much larger than the amount of water in it. I'd be
curious to hear what it was like before it's construction. Next time, I might
try my luck farther upstream of it if there a good wadeble sections.

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10448436 12/02/14 04:53 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Great read Winchester 44!! Thanks for sharing.

You mention the otter. Brings back memories of growing up in the marshes of Cameron, La. I used to try to chase them and catch them when they were up on land. Not a chance of catching them. Thinking about it now, I'm glad I never come close to catching one, stupid teenager, LOL!!

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10448452 12/02/14 05:04 PM
B
bowfin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have seen one on Lake H0llbrook this summer.
Done some research on them,and they are making a come back in east Tx.

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10448966 12/02/14 09:13 PM
J
jboy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Before 2007 the P was an awsome fishery from one end to the other. Dont realy think the dam is the problem as much as it is the springs are just not running the way they used to back when you would drive over streams running across the roads to the river (Gas drilling??) It was Ol Al's river so maybe he just took it with him for awhile??? Time changes the things we loved.

JBs welding and custom cabinets. Owner

Team ORION VP.
Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: jboy] #10449379 12/03/14 12:22 AM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: jboy
Before 2007 the P was an awesome fishery from one end to the other. Don't realy think the dam is the problem as much as it is the springs are just not running the way they used to back when you would drive over streams running across the roads to the river (Gas drilling??) It was Ol Al's river so maybe he just took it with him for awhile??? Time changes the things we loved.

That's too bad. Virtually every website and texas flyfishing guide I've come across that mentions the Paluxy says it is a real gem, but much of that was written prior to 2007. I can certainly see the potential.

I feel water is going to become incredibly important for my generation in North Texas. I fear we may soon see similar battles that have raged on the front rage in Colorado for some years now.Lots of blame to go around gas wells, oil wells, live stock wells, landscaping ordinances, urban forestry ordinances etc.

I'm far from an expert, but I know one of the biggest reasons North Texas wouldn't buy water from OK/Texoma was Zebra Mussles, but now that seems to be approaching a mute point. I wonder if they will start again.

Regardless conservation will be the only real answer as we can't keep using it like we used to with the explosive growth the area continues to see.

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10449504 12/03/14 01:13 AM
F
Fishwfly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Great read. I came across a few River otters in East Texas once and it was a real treat!

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10449903 12/03/14 03:56 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post. cheers Never have seen a River Otter in the wild. I bet that was a site to see. eeks Thanks for sharing. coolio

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: banker-always fishing] #10450513 12/03/14 04:42 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Awesome post. cheers Never have seen a River Otter in the wild. I bet that was a site to see. eeks Thanks for sharing. coolio

Thanks much! It was quite a site. In talking to some of my buddies that run the Brazos often, one mentioned sighting one back in October about 1/2 mile below I-20. Very cool if these guys are making a comeback. Hopefully a sign of a increasingly healthy river system. I could do with a few more gator gar though. I heard the 2lb tippet class is still open.

Last edited by winchester44; 12/03/14 04:42 PM.
Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10450518 12/03/14 04:44 PM
P
Peepaw on Fork Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I've seen them on Fork and Bob Sandlin. Very graceful in the water

Last edited by Peepaw on Fork; 12/03/14 04:45 PM.

H. Burns
Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10450744 12/03/14 06:44 PM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Careful what you wish for, lol. Takes a lot of fish to feed one of them critters.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10451068 12/03/14 09:33 PM
S
schat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
fishing from near glen rose to Bluff Dale and near by stream for 30+ years and trapped fur around the system as a kid I never saw an otter. You are very lucky, The river seemed to flow better, but then there was not all the farm ponds catching all the run off, we used to find these trickle after a rain and the fish/wildlife would bunch up. Almost all of the small stream have farm ponds or ranch road changing the flow. There was not city weirs or impoundments for flood control. As bad young boys these ditches would lead us to new fishing grounds and we thought this was the best thing ever; till a switch taught us about trespassing and stealing stocked fish. But I am old and there was less people for a little piece of land.

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: winchester44] #10451081 12/03/14 09:39 PM
S
schat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
fishing near Glen Rose to Bluff Dale and near by streams for 30+ years, trapped fur around the system as a kid I never saw an otter. You are very lucky, The river seemed to flow better, but then there was not all the farm ponds catching all the run off, we used to find these trickle after a rain and the fish/wildlife would bunch up. We would find huge sunfish beds and channel catfish would work the beds edges. We would catch carp under Mulberry trees till dark put the fear of snakes in us. Almost all of the small stream have farm ponds or ranch road changing the flow. There was not city weirs or impoundments for flood control. The same can be said for the Bosque to the south, through in dairy run off in the old days. We As bad young boys these ditches would lead us to new fishing grounds and we thought this was the best thing ever; till a switch taught us about trespassing and stealing stocked fish. But I am old and there was less people for a little piece of land.

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: Peepaw on Fork] #10451457 12/04/14 01:10 AM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Peepaw on Fork
I've seen them on Fork and Bob Sandlin. Very graceful in the water

To feed an otter?

Re: Interesting Sighting at Wheeler Branch [Re: schat] #10451459 12/04/14 01:11 AM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: schat
fishing from near glen rose to Bluff Dale and near by stream for 30+ years and trapped fur around the system as a kid I never saw an otter. You are very lucky, The river seemed to flow better, but then there was not all the farm ponds catching all the run off, we used to find these trickle after a rain and the fish/wildlife would bunch up. Almost all of the small stream have farm ponds or ranch road changing the flow. There was not city weirs or impoundments for flood control. As bad young boys these ditches would lead us to new fishing grounds and we thought this was the best thing ever; till a switch taught us about trespassing and stealing stocked fish. But I am old and there was less people for a little piece of land.

He-he.....been chased off many a golf course myself....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide