Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,803
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Peter L.] #10413146 11/15/14 05:49 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Peter L.
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Originally Posted By: Peter L.
The fishing industry will suffer until pricing is adequate, fair and reasonable across the board. Sad deal.

Explain

No explanation needed....however, until the prices for tackle, boats, fishing related clothing etc...becomes reasonable as far as pricing is concerned; more and more PRO'S will continue to struggle to stay afloat. That's why the fishing industry NEEDS and RELIES on major sponsorship deals. It's a trickle affect. Plain and simple.

Peter
This for sure I can't believe this hasn't happened before now......even though bass fishing is a big deal to most folks on this forum and the folks that we all run and associate with in the general public it isn't even a blip of the radar.
Cost cuts may be coming but we will just have to see......that will be coming in the form of lower oil prices. If OPEC drives oil prices where I think they are going it will get a lot cheaper yet. If they do what they did in the early 90's when oil was @ $17 a barrel they are headed some where south of what it currently cost to get it out of the ground here in the US in an effort to take back market share. I don't think we will see $17 a barrel but something $20 to $30 below where we are now.
Will boat priced get cheaper because there raw material will be getting a lot cheaper? Personally I think so and I understand there are differing opinions out there but the reason I say this is I get a strong feeling with by watching how some MFG's are constantly changing their product lines/business model annually to try to sell more boats they aren't where they want to be in profitability and may be just treading water for the most part to keep their employees working until things improve. If they can get back to where the average bass fisherman can afford a new rig they can sell more boats and still maintain a desirable and better profit margin than that they are experiencing at this point. I also base this opinion on something that was said and posted in a speech by one of the top gurus @ one of the marine manufacturing association meetings a while back, he stated roughly that if they didn't find something different and cheaper to manufacture boats from in the near future the boating industry in general wouldn't survive the current situation......my two cents

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: WAWI] #10413161 11/15/14 06:03 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones
Fishing isn't a niche, it's actually a very large category and so is hunt. Non endemic brands do well here and love to engage outdoorsmen. It's a big category. There's more non endemic companies in our space today then there's been in a long time. BASS and MLF are proof of that.

The simple fact is that with BASS, FLW, MLF and the PAA all after those dollars someone has to win and someone has to lose. The sport will be better for it regardless.

Compared to golf, nascar, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc it's a niche, I would rate it well below poker also. Main stream just doesn't watch it. My wife will watch a lot of stuff, last day of masters, superbowl, America in world cup, she would not watch 2 seconds of the classic. Be realistic, it is what it is.

This logic assumes that brands look at this as an either or investment against those other sports/properties and they don't. There's an outdoor spend, a mass sports spend, a grass roots spend, etc etc

The actual programs or activations may be different for say a company like GEICO than they are for Pepsi but the category is important to their overall business. Spend a little time researching the size of the fishing/hunting industry and how much revenue it generates and you'll know why the brands are here.

The market is good, the economy (business wise) is good. The sky isn't falling. Everything's going to be fine.

My two cents

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413174 11/15/14 06:13 PM
TexBbq Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A lot of this has to do with the tournament trail. A company wants to become a sponsor so the trail says "ok, you will be sponsoring Joe,Todd and Cliff for 'x' amount of dollars. But we also need more money if you want to put banners up at the tournaments. We also need more money if you want to have a commercial run on the air time we have purchased to air each tournament."

Then they tell the anglers that the cost of each tournament entry fee just went up from $4000 to $4500 or $6000 to $6500. So all the sponsor money ends up going to the trail.

Who is the real winner here?

214-783-8701
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413182 11/15/14 06:17 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Your lumping in hunting and fishing, and specifically tournament bass fishing. Hunting brings guns into play, the gun market is massive, I appreciate reaching the audience but football and nascar will get you the same audience basically and a lot more of them. Advertising is about trp first and I'm guessing the trp on all fishing programs combined is very small.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413185 11/15/14 06:17 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I think as long as an organization put the best effort they can in putting out the best product possible in all regards then things will take care of themselves. I have always liked the fact that there are 2 large organizations competing. I think it keeps one another striving to improve.
I think as long as BASS/FLW tries to give their fans the best show they can and give their anglers the same courtesy then all will be fine. Focus on what bass fishing is to the fans today and improve that. Grow the best product you can and in the future if expansion makes sense then go for it but for now I hope they focus on what they have right now.
Like Mark said this will all work out the way its supposed to. I don't think tournaments as we know them will stop any time soon.
Business is working like business does. Gains, losses, spikes and declines along with constant reevaluation and adjusting.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413206 11/15/14 06:23 PM
James Biggs Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
As an FLW angler I see everything a little different. I've been blessed to fish several Bassmaster events as well.

Years ago Walmart pulled out of FLW. Everyone said FLW will be gone in no time. Sponsors come and go. FLW anglers grip about not being able to "brand themselves" and wear their sponsors on tv the final day. So FLW listen to the anglers and allowed them to wear whomever on TV. In turn those companies that had guaranteed air time no longer do. They no longer want to pay big money for nothing. It's a catch 22. I prefer FLW to BASS in the way they treat the anglers more fair across the board. Both are great organizations with the best anglers in the world. My only complaint to the FLW fallout was the timing.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: WAWI] #10413228 11/15/14 06:37 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Your lumping in hunting and fishing, and specifically tournament bass fishing. Hunting brings guns into play, the gun market is massive, I appreciate reaching the audience but football and nascar will get you the same audience basically and a lot more of them. Advertising is about trp first and I'm guessing the trp on all fishing programs combined is very small.

I give up... glad you're not in charge of the industry outlook and marketing spend for the companies who are here. cheers

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413414 11/15/14 08:27 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I believe it will all be fine and B.A.S.S. along with FLW will continue to offer great tournaments. Just my opinion based on past experiences.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413441 11/15/14 08:44 PM
H
Hoss Holding Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
With the cost of boats, electronics, tow vehicles talons, rods, reels, baits, and everything else, there just ain't no money left to buy a box of Rice Crispys. As long as Walmart is running they will be fine as a company.

I am blessed to have a opportunity to live a childhood dream as a professional wrestler

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Mark Jones] #10413552 11/15/14 09:52 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I give up... glad you're not in charge of the industry outlook and marketing spend for the companies who are here. cheers

Mark,
You are wrestling a pig in the mud. You are getting muddy and the pig likes it. Some people leave their blinders on without having any idea of what they are talking about. Very disappointed in some of Mark Perry's comments.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Tubby] #10413628 11/15/14 10:37 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Tubby

Mark,
You are wrestling a pig in the mud. You are getting muddy and the pig likes it. Some people leave their blinders on without having any idea of what they are talking about. Very disappointed in some of Mark Perry's comments.

I respect that but I ask what is there to be disappointed in. I support the guys out there trying to do it. I personally don't have the talent so its great to see some local guys step up and hear the stories and get to see it through their eyes. If you expected me to blow smoke about how I think bass fishing will be the next big TV sport I am not gonna do that. Its not as viewer friendly in terms of TV as a lot of other sports. I also think they need to continue to improve what they have and really get the format down that reaches fans, anglers and sponsors as evenly as possible. Once that is a possibility then start to grow it on a large scale. To me that is common sense. Have solid, sustained growth for a couple of years with NO changes to formats and such then start to push it on a larger scale. The first foray with ESPN failed so I am saying learn from that and go forward with that knowledge. If the product they put out is top notch a lot of good things can happen from that base.

I enjoy the coverage now and see some areas I would love to see a better job in. They are getting there and I think working hard to do so. Saying I have my doubts it will ever be a large scale deal for the masses in no way disrespects the organizations or the anglers. I just am not gonna sit here and give rah rah answers though. I am but one guy with an opinion. Your may differ and that's fine. That is why we come on here and interact. I have and will continue to support BASS and FLW and hope both area around for many years.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413716 11/15/14 11:24 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Fact is its the pros in a sense that have helped to make the sport cost a little more. I always find it odd that these guys that swear they are starving can rig a $50,000 boat with twin Power Poles, 4- HDS12's and all the goodies that go with a boat. Not that many are getting them free much less free gear. Most times its being pulled by a truck or SUV that was not cheap either.
The rumors of FLW's demise have been around for years. They keep on going on. Its just business.

This quote is entirely untrue.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Tubby] #10413768 11/15/14 11:56 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Tubby
Fact is its the pros in a sense that have helped to make the sport cost a little more. I always find it odd that these guys that swear they are starving can rig a $50,000 boat with twin Power Poles, 4- HDS12's and all the goodies that go with a boat. Not that many are getting them free much less free gear. Most times its being pulled by a truck or SUV that was not cheap either.
The rumors of FLW's demise have been around for years. They keep on going on. Its just business.

This quote is entirely untrue.

Not saying all are complaining but some that do have the latest and greatest. I'm not hating on them in the least just saying the money it costs a company to have a true pros staff or any other staff for that matter gets passed on to the consumer. Every business is like that so its not like its a slap to anyone. Just a statement.

It can hard for the regular guy to feel sympathy in those cases. I never said I don't because I have seen how hard and expensive it is to do it through friends that have done it. Some spend every cent they have to stay out there. I can truly relate and respect those chasing that dream but no way you can honestly say that having a pro staff does not cost a business money. If it did not then sponsorship would be easy for a lot of the guys to get.
That was my main point. Its not a blame game, it was a statement about the situation. Any costs INCLUDING pro staff costs are business costs and that helps dictate pricing.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413770 11/16/14 12:00 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Yep have to agree FLW will survive this they've been around for a long time and if I remember right they were what was formerly know as the Redman Tournament Trail so these folks aren't rookies at this by no means.......They need to locate sponsors that are a little more in line with the fishing industry. The cell phone industry, pickup trucks, candy, and Walmart I can see as a legitimate sponsors they all sell products fisherman are going to use. As much money as I spent on Lance crackers when I went fishing they ought to be a sponsor..........

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10413819 11/16/14 12:28 AM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Mark, my point is that probably 75% of the Elite pros are struggling financially however you find it hard to believe that because they have the latest and the greatest that they must be doing just fine. Do you have any idea where these guys sleep while they are on the road or what they eat just to save moneywort make it to the next tourney. Btw, I am clearly speaking for myself and no one else. As you know I spent a lot of time on the Elite tour this year. By biggest awakening was that these guys have very unique passion for fishing. At the end of the season a lot of them go home to "guide for pay" on their home lakes hoping they can save enough money for next season. You know this to be true because one your's and my friend tried it for two years. I respect everything you say with this exception. I have known you a long time and hope this will be received for what it is. Most of these guys barely make it.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide