Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10310227 09/26/14 01:42 PM
R
roblo101 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Frog action, is awesome!!! Thy the white ribbit frog, dip both feet in the spike it dye.
Gives the frog a way better look with those colored feet paddling.
Braided line always a plus!

Y'all have a good day

Skeeter/Yamaha and Love to feel something on the other end!! Lol
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10327102 10/04/14 04:18 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Looks like I'm gonna have to work on some frog patterns for my topwater baits. Anyone here have any custom painted frog patterns?

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10327152 10/04/14 05:03 PM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Either the Rage Tail Shad or a hollow bodied frog. The fish in my signature was on the Rage Tail Shad

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10327255 10/04/14 06:14 PM
T
TxStLipRipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Do frogs still work well in the colder weather?

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Donald Harper] #10327474 10/04/14 08:28 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Sometimes it is the technique more than the bait that helps you make a differance be grass line is the best for me. Let the spook sit and sit and sit. Twitch it two ever so slight of movements. It is more like a quiver. This is a part that practice in a pool will really helps. I call it the dying quiver. 90% of my big Bass have come at this time of the cast.
tween a good day and a great one. This is my big fish technique with a spook.

BE PATIENT. Throw it next to and into the thickest cover you can get it in. A
DYING QUIVER. You almost have to witness a big Bass knocking a shad out and it doing the dying quiver on the surface to know what it looks like. Three of the largest bass that I have ever seen in my life did just that. They knocked it out and while it was quivering on the surface, circled it then swalloed it. I was all over those fish but each one was zeroed in on that action and not my bait.

SIT AGAIN. After the quiver let it sit again. Start your retrive walking the spook as slow as it will go. Letting it glide to the right and then to the left. Never stop the bait even if you get a blow up. Most of the time she will come back and take it within a few strokes.

THE SWITCH. Then leave it sitting and pick up a pinch weighted Fluke to follow up just past where the spook is sitting. I have a quick clip on my butt seat bag and keep my Fluke rod standing right beside my pole seat. I just pull the rod out of the quick clip and make the cast. You don't have time to lay your spook rod down and fumble around and pick up the Fluke rod off the deck. This has to be done quick. That follow up cast with the fluke will get her everytime.

EXCITED BASS. The spook's action is exciting the Big Bass that are close by on every cast. You may not ever realize this is taking place. You are not getting any blowups or even given any signs of it; but it is happening.

PARTNER DOES THE CATCHING. As I bring the spook past a bush, I have my partner throwing to those bushs with his Fluke and belive me it works. When you think they are not bitting topwater and want to go to something else DON'T DO IT. Follow that spook with the Fluke.

TOURNAMENT WIN. Practiced for a tournament on Amistad. We found the top water fish in a 100 yard stretch the morning before the tourn. We caught 2 keepers and a 4lb. Bass right off the bat on the spook. Tourn. morning the spook did not catch a Bass. They were blowing up on it but not taking it. My partner followed up behind the spook on every bush and put 5 Bass over 5lbs. in the boat. This technique has accounted for several wins so have fun trying it.
Good info, the Spook was always my greatest weakness. I have a half a dozen of them and don't think I have ever caught a fish on one.......

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: EastTexasBassin] #10342210 10/11/14 03:53 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Rage Tail Shad looks pretty deadly. Do you have a favorite color? What water do you fish it in stained, clear? I'm going to order a bag or two and don't want to waste money guessing at productive colors.....and your pic says you have at least one good color grin

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10343353 10/12/14 03:40 AM
Martinial Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'd been doing real good on an Albino H2O frog in the "junk" but I took my girl friends kid with me several weeks ago and he was throwing a clear baby torpedo and was getting 4-1 more blow ups than I was (he was fishing it to fast). The next time I went I started throwing that torpedo and haven't put it down yet. They will kill it when you just let it sit still then give it a slight twitch. As a change up I'll go back to the frog but the torpedo still gets more strikes

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10346173 10/13/14 04:04 PM
M
Marooned Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Favorite: hollow body frog (bullfrog or brown/yellow)
Close second: Buzzbait (white)
Third: Popper (Chug bug, Yellow Magic, Pop-R) shad color

Usually start out with a buzzbait to cover water and see if it will get hit. If not, I try both frog and popper to see what gets bit.

In memory of my childhood friend Dan Sterling, who taught me at an early age how to catch bream with a hand-line, and who unknowingly hooked me on fishing for life.
Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Martinial] #10350299 10/15/14 12:10 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Torpedo's are great little baits. First time I saw one used was pond fishing with an old timer. He'd let it sit and just barely twitch it enough to spin the blade once or twice every so often. Been one of my favorite topwaters ever since that day. White or clear mornings or sunny days and black on overcast days or late evenings.

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10353913 10/16/14 10:30 PM
T
Thai Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Spook or a frog. White or black.

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10354177 10/17/14 12:53 AM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Based on the responses to the "favorite topwater lure/pattern" question I went with a Spook/frog pattern. Couldn't get the frog pattern to come out right so I painted up a Spook/shad pattern. Also took the advise offered by Donald Harper on how to fish a Spook. Here are the results:

Biggest bass I've ever landed on a Spook. Thanks to Donald and everyone who replied.

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10354525 10/17/14 02:21 AM
C
CENTEX Toad Hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
OK, get ready for this. I don't put the frog in the topwater category of baits. Why, as mentioned several times by many in the previous post, I claim the frog is in a category of its own. When I think topwater, I think poppers, chugs, props, and spook/sammy type baits. These are technique varied and technique specific lures. I don't even consider the buzzbait a topwater.

Even though you might take on objection to this, hear me out. I'm just reserving "topwater" for those baits that you have to make applied decisions on rhythm, tempo and cadence. Sounds like Im beating a drum here. Well, to an extent, I am. Topwater applications are varied in there presentation whereas a buzzbait is covering water at relatively the same pace depending on the size of the prop. When you are working a topwater, you are constantly thinking about the next twitch and the next one after that.

When that blowup happens, you have to fight off a natural reaction of excitement giving the fish a chance to commit without pulling your bait out of its mouth prior to hooking up. This goes for the frog as well, but the frog is more often being imitated in slop and not necessarily on top of the water. Fishing a frog to me is entirely different than imitating a fishing eating bugs on the surface of dying, posing an easy meal.

As Don Harper broke down his application, which is an awesome one. Topwater fishing is your attempt to mimic nature and the reward can be a visual display of adrenaline!

"If you've quit learn'n, you might'as well quit fish'n cuz yer not catch'n as many fish as ya should be!"
Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10354806 10/17/14 04:11 AM
W
WeaponOfBassDestruction Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
First time throwing the KVD Splash yielded great results for me today on the river! Clear water minnow color

Last edited by Lews4Life; 10/17/14 04:12 AM.

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: Bois d'arc] #10355733 10/17/14 04:26 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Lews...the Splash is a popper isn't it?...apparently clear water minnow works pretty dang well.

Re: Favorite Topwater Lure/Pattern [Re: CENTEX Toad Hunter] #10355756 10/17/14 04:36 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Centex, have you ever seen a bait called "the diving frog"? Its a plastic weedless frog but with a small bill that makes it dive toward the bottom. Supposedly you throw it in and around open spots in the pads, etc. and jerk it a few times to make it quickly dive like a scared frog burying itself into the bottom. Never tried one, guess its just another method of frog fishing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide