Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lake of the Pines Tournament #10332670 10/07/14 03:23 AM
H
High Breed Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I am a volunteer boat captain for a high school fishing team. We fished the tournament this past weekend. I have witnessed some pretty bad behavior on the water, but this weekend was unbelievable. I know fishing near a boat lane can be hazardous. You have a choice: be courteous and come off plane and idle by (maybe even say hi and how are ya'll doing) or be an [censored] and fly by at 50-60 mph. Unfortunately, many captains chose the latter, showing bad examples to young anglers. It in NOT cool to fly by other anglers just because you can. Is the next spot going anywhere? The world is a much better place to live in if we all respect each other. I guarantee you that most of the people in those boats are good God fearing East Texans...PLEASE act like it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10332751 10/07/14 04:13 AM
B
Bowhunterman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
When I am fishing NEAR a boat lane, I prefer that if you are in a hurry to get to your spot, please feel free to fly by me as fast as you want, as that will produce the least amount of wave action for my boat. If someone is fishing IN a boat lane, I would liken that to setting up a table and your favorite chair and eating dinner in the middle of the street and then being pissed when you ended up as somebody's hood ornament. Although I understand and abide by the law of being responsible for your own wake when passing other boaters, I think it is pretty dang sorry when I see people tie one end of their boat to the boat road pole and the other end tied to their anchor that they threw across the intended boat lane just sitting there like every single boat that passes them is just ramrodding their day!. These are typically the guys that when you dont completely shut it down and crawl by them at an idle or better yet, troll by them, as to not disturb their day, they say that you are the inconsiderate a-hole. Well, isn't there a little a-hole accountability on the guys part that is planted in the middle of the boat road, acting like it is okay for him to cause every boat that comes along to detour around him, just so he can fish where he wants, irregardless of everyone else?

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10332836 10/07/14 10:46 AM
A
andy52887 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
We had this discussion on another forum last week. People need to realize when you fish boat lanes dealing with wakes is part of the deal. I would rather someone run by fast ( smaller wake) then either slow down or shut down to idle. I dont know how it shows disrespect by running by at a decent speed. I fish Caddo lake 90% of the time and you can only run boat lanes so I have seen it all. Maybe next time explain to the kids how running faster will lessen the wake so we dont have people slowing down plowing the water and making unsafe wakes to flip small boats over.

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333013 10/07/14 12:34 PM
jcarring99 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have fished around the boat lanes on certain spots of pines and you should expect people to run the lanes IMO. Just like the other guys said I'd rather you go full speed than to plow water.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
email: joel@carringtonroofingdfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
For financing click: https://app.gethearth.com/partners/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333040 10/07/14 12:43 PM
S
Skeeter Bite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I see the original posters point. I was taught to idle past others fishing sort of as a sign of respect. A true idle is not plowing or creating a dangerous situation. However, I believe with the waters getting more crowded this is not practical and is a waste of time. My rule now is to keep going at a responsible speed as long as the situation is safe. As said above you chose to fish the lane.

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333193 10/07/14 02:07 PM
B
BVF_LoP_Guide Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
If the boat I'm passing is a small craft like a flatbottom or small crappie boat, I will come of plane well in advance and idle past them with minimal wake . If it is a full size bass boat and is a safe distance from me I will reduce speed but remain on plane. If your Fishing next to a hot boat lane expect some waves . Sorry yall had a bad experience

Brian Vickery
Lake O the PInes Guide
brianvickeryfishing.com
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333198 10/07/14 02:10 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

Ask G-Man about it. smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333216 10/07/14 02:15 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I agree with the above, small boats, come off plane, big boats I slow down

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: Bowhunterman] #10333268 10/07/14 02:37 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bowhunterman
When I am fishing NEAR a boat lane, I prefer that if you are in a hurry to get to your spot, please feel free to fly by me as fast as you want, as that will produce the least amount of wave action for my boat. If someone is fishing IN a boat lane, I would liken that to setting up a table and your favorite chair and eating dinner in the middle of the street and then being pissed when you ended up as somebody's hood ornament. Although I understand and abide by the law of being responsible for your own wake when passing other boaters, I think it is pretty dang sorry when I see people tie one end of their boat to the boat road pole and the other end tied to their anchor that they threw across the intended boat lane just sitting there like every single boat that passes them is just ramrodding their day!. These are typically the guys that when you dont completely shut it down and crawl by them at an idle or better yet, troll by them, as to not disturb their day, they say that you are the inconsiderate a-hole. Well, isn't there a little a-hole accountability on the guys part that is planted in the middle of the boat road, acting like it is okay for him to cause every boat that comes along to detour around him, just so he can fish where he wants, irregardless of everyone else?

+1 Fishing in or near a boat lane is risky business and fly bys are just part of it. Maybe not the best idea in a HS tourney, IMO.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333269 10/07/14 02:37 PM
Tex20 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
So you want people to shut it down in a narrow boat lane because you are fishing in it or close to it? Staying on pad creates less of a wake. The lane isn't very wide to begin with. What if someone is behind the boat running in the lane? You just want them to shutdown anyway and pray the guy behind him has enough time to stop? If your scared of a boat running by you on pad, then move to a spot that isn't a traffic area.

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333281 10/07/14 02:44 PM
Stewart's on bass Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I fished there on the 4th and we caught most of our fish dropshot ting around bridges! Depth 8-18ft

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333517 10/07/14 04:26 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
LOP Collision

Accident involving man with wife and kid in a Phoenix on Lake O' the Pines April, 2014 as he was idling in boatlane as he was meeting a fast running boat which lost control:

Always SAFETY FIRST which is helped by maintaining boat control, distance and speed.
LOP boatlane is single-lane and many areas are ~45ft wide sandwiched between sandbars/stumps and telephone poles. So distance factor is already lost:

Last edited by LittleGazoo; 10/07/14 04:38 PM.
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10333570 10/07/14 04:52 PM
B
Beast From The East Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I believe I read there were 163 boats entered in the high school tournament and I know of at least 2 other tournaments that were going on last saturday on the pines. Do you really expect every one of those boats to idle past you?

Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: Beast From The East] #10333711 10/07/14 05:51 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Beast From The East
I believe I read there were 163 boats entered in the high school tournament and I know of at least 2 other tournaments that were going on last saturday on the pines. Do you really expect everey one of those boats to idle past you?

On LOP it's more about safety not your waves.

Especially on LOP, I would expect all boats to error on the side of safety. It's not your waves, it's OUR safety.

Once in the LOP poles, LOP is more narrow river than lake.

Dangers aside, LOP offered a great opportunity to teach young men to observe different lake conditions, recognize dangerous areas and be able to adjust to those conditions.

Recognize one has 163+ boats running both ways in a narrow single-lane.
Recognize boatlane runs in and out of Big Cypress creating rapidly changing water depth.
Recognize the above so deep-water boat should yield to shallow-water boat not able to
come off plane.
A hope is the boat-captains were able to teach more than fishing...

Last edited by LittleGazoo; 10/07/14 06:11 PM.
Re: Lake of the Pines Tournament [Re: High Breed] #10334154 10/07/14 10:38 PM
R
Randy Harrell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
This has been an ongoing argument for a long time on this forum. Everyone seems to have a slightly different view about what is the right thing to do.

My 2cents If I can safely pass by you on pad, I am not checking up. If I can't. I come off plane and IDLE by. This is my rule of thumb because it is what I expect from other boaters on the water. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If I am fishing near a boat lane like that, I will wave you to come on by rather than slowing down.

I chose not to take my team North Saturday because of the mad house that I figured would be there. I know that some people are truly doing what the feel is right. Then there are some that are on a power trip and have no respect or regard to the other people on the water. This goes for the people who are fishing right next to the river channel and the ones who pass by at an unsafe speed.

Set the hook first, ask questions later!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide