Page 1 of 2 1 2
? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? #10259502 09/04/14 06:32 PM
D
DCmac Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
IF the recommendations from the peanut gallery convince me to try baitcast, what's the "best" option rod-reel-line for a rank beginner?

I never got the hang of casting a baitcaster - I could throw the lure farther by hand than with rod & reel. Made me some truly magnificent birdnests trying. Should I spend the money or stick with what I know? (What I "know" has nothing to do with catching, only fishing, and that's damm little judging by the results.) I looked over the baitcast reels my last trip to BassPro and they're a whole lot different from what I remember from 3 decades ago.

30 years fishing with spinning reels, followed by a +30 year complete hiatus from fishing, now into my 3d year (I think it's my 3d...difficult to remember - you youngsters pay attention, this is the kind of thing that happens to you when you get up around my age) at it again.

Fishing, a man knows a serenity of soul and peace of mind that he finds in doing nothing else, and it makes no difference whether or not he catches anything. The mind of a true fisherman is not on petty subjects.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259574 09/04/14 07:00 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
newer reels brake systems are likely way better than the old stuff. Just start out with alot of brakes and start turning em off as you get comfortable with them.

Baitcaster will give you loads more rod options for bass fishing, more hand contact with the rod, control of your cast, faster gear ratios, more power as they function more like a winch and eventually more casting distance once you get the brakes off.

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259604 09/04/14 07:08 PM
C
ColoradoTransplant Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Bait caster reels and spinning reels both have specific applications...

Some baits or presentations are just easier to fish on a spinning reel or vice versa.

The key to learning how to fish a bait caster is to be persistent as heck! lol

Really though, once you get your braking system dialed in, they are WAY easier to cast long distances.

It takes a while to get really good, but it is worth it for sure!

This video will tell ya everything you need to know to get your reel adjusted. Also, do not forget that your reel will require a little adjustment for each different bait (until you get the hang of it and learn to control your spool)

And if you arent sold on this technology yet, find yourself a backseat with one of the fellas on here and get out there and fish with em with your spinning gear. You will quickly see that they are able to cast way further than you can with a spinning setups!

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259620 09/04/14 07:13 PM
C
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
oh one other tip, look for reels with a "flipping switch"

When engaged, the flipping switch will stop that spool (when casting) anytime your thumb is not depressing the little thumb paddle (as opposed to a regular non flipping switch reel which will keep that spool freely spinning until you engage it by reeling with the reel handle). It is intended for flip style casting (which you can practice in your yard), but it also works great for preventing your line from going any further out when you are trying to avoid getting snagged in a tree or other obstruction

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259624 09/04/14 07:13 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
+1 on what shooter says. These newer baitcasters are a lot easier to control. I still have some old Shimano Bantams that I use on ocassion and you have to really pay attention to what you're doing or you'll be pulling out the ol pocket knife. Don't spend mega bucks on one. There are some good ones out there for about $100. Good luck and good fishin!

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259643 09/04/14 07:18 PM
C
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Abu Garcia Silver Max Combo

That combo will get you on the water for less than a c-note, and will treat you right. It has a two brake system, and a flipping switch (and also comes with a pretty decent MH action rod.)

I looked at about every store I could before I finally settled on that rod to replace one of my old favorites that got broken, and I gotta say, I have been satisfied with it and wouldn't change a thing about it. lol

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259752 09/04/14 07:56 PM
C
CENTEX Toad Hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Didnt take the time to read the other replies, but yes, you need a bait caster or at least four or five. Spinning reels are easier to operate and those that ha[font:Arial][/font]ve tried to use a bait caster quickly give up. Yes, there is a learning curve and backlashes are no fun...get over it. Even those of us that have years of experience and are proficient with a bait caster still bird-nest. Its all part of fishing! The more you use a bait caster the better you will become at managing those professional over runs.

The true reason you need a bait caster is for its versitility and accuracy. Yea, there are those that say they are acurate with a spinning reel, but you are more apt to close the gap between 24 inches left, right, far or short to only 6inches in any direction of the target. That is a considerable difference when you are trying to diasect a wooded structure like a laydown or some stickups. Your ability to drop on top of a target is the difference between getting a bite and missing an opportunity!

My experience in using a bait caster is rarativily new. (six years) So, I still understand the novice angler and his frustration with bait casters, but it is a short learning curve and there are less hours involved in fixing a backlash than you might think starting with understanding how to prevent it from happening in the first place. If you are on the bank and as you cast, you slap the brush behind you, instant backlash. Do this a few times, you start to learn how to feel the brush and clamp down on the reel with your thumb. Same with those that have slapped an engine cowling or light pole at night...it happens!

OK, you have a backlash...next thing to learn is the quickest way to recover from if without spending half your time on the water chasing loops and knots in your spool. Go to You Tube and learn the thumb trick, its a life saver and should help you migrate over to getting friendly witha bait caster and once you have managed your fears, you can start to become a better fisherman. 2cents

"If you've quit learn'n, you might'as well quit fish'n cuz yer not catch'n as many fish as ya should be!"
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259807 09/04/14 08:13 PM
B
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
start with mono

It is cheap(er) and easier to untangle. You'll get it, just have to try.

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
you know, nothing wrong with seven men who met on the internet going for a swim together
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10259809 09/04/14 08:14 PM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
thumb Good advice. Using good equipment always makes a huge difference in enjoying the sport or frustration! Not to mention, won't break your fishing budget! BPS also has these.. Abi Garcia Bait Casting Combo

Last edited by Lee in Texas; 09/04/14 09:03 PM.

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: Lee in Texas] #10260046 09/04/14 09:43 PM
C
cove_crawler Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I asked the same question before I picked up my first bait caster....why should I even bother? The two biggest advantages that I found once I got past the first steps of learning were: accuracy - absolutely...especially while pitching to cover. I can pitch a bait on a spinning reel too, but on a bait caster, it's spot on every time. The second was surprisingly, hand fatigue. I guess the spinning reels are heavier, I don't know, but I have way less hand fatigue fishing with bait casters.

Coming from someone who used to have nothing but spinners on deck, it's been worth it. I now carry 6 bait cast and 2 spinners (for drop shot).

One last thing, they are easy to learn....easier than ever before. You've got setup videos out there, and modern reels have the braking systems that help out tremendously. I literally got the gist of it in one afternoon, just casting a sinker in my yard.

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10260074 09/04/14 10:07 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I taught my friend how to use one and it all started in my front yard. I got him on the water and the lessons continued. Get with someone who uses them and start with basic's and before you know it you'll be casting like a pro. It's easier than you might think.

FishKen
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10260084 09/04/14 10:13 PM
C
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
If you can, find a reel that uses centrifugal weights over magnetic. Both work well, but centrifigal seem to be more forgiving.

"If you've quit learn'n, you might'as well quit fish'n cuz yer not catch'n as many fish as ya should be!"
Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: Topwater2] #10260088 09/04/14 10:17 PM
C
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: FishKen
I taught my friend how to use one and it all started in my front yard. I got him on the water and the lessons continued. Get with someone who uses them and start with basic's and before you know it you'll be casting like a pro. It's easier than you might think.

cheers

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10260104 09/04/14 10:24 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Learn to adjust it properly. YouTube has great videos for that. Don't start with too light of a lure, avoid casting into the wind and aim for the stars. Casting high helps in the beginning until you start to get the feel. Also using something like 40 lb big game works good in the beginning because the birds nest will be harder to get and easier to clear. Don't worry about fishing in the beginning, just casting. It comes pretty quick without you realizing it.

Carry a few so if you have a bad birds nest you can just hop to another reel and clear it later. In the end the small amount of time to learn it is worth it.

Re: ? Should I Also Use A Baitcast Reel? & Why? [Re: DCmac] #10260433 09/05/14 12:56 AM
E
eggs'isled Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
look at it this way...open faced spinning rods handle light line with ease, bait cast or level wind reels handle heavy line with ease...use a spinning reel for worming, minnow plugs, drop shots, weightless plastics and small jigs - basically finness presentations...baitcasters for heaver jigs and worm rigs, crank baits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, a-rigs, carolina rigs - basically all the heavy work...you can fish with whatever you want and catch fish...but think of it like this a .22 rimfire is great for squirrels and small game and sure you can kill a deer with it with a well placed shot - but it is not suggested !!! so don't try to use spinning gear for all the different types of tactics, learn to use bait casting equipment and it WILL increase your catch ratio in the long run...just my two cents...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide