Page 1 of 2 1 2
Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero #10215687 08/16/14 02:05 PM
R
rayhoyer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Hey y'all. I moved from New Braunfels to Yoakum. Things finally smoothed out with the new job and all and now I'm ready to get back to fishing. First off is there anyone out here in this area reading? Ha! But has anyone ever done much fishing on the Guadalupe down here? It's definitely different water than up in New Braunfels. Ain't much of it but it has it's bigger parts and it's muddy with lots of cover for fish especially big logs and dead trees, everywhere I cross over it while driving. There's got to be bass and crappie and no doubt, plenty of cats. But what would be a good first attack on a muddy Guadalupe if I'm trying to hook some bass and crappie? Anyone think the jigs I would snag them on in clear to stained water would do well in muddy water? Looking for suggestions and/or stories from around this area.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10215727 08/16/14 02:23 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Lake Wood just outside of Gonzales is good. Lots of pads and underwater structure. There is also Meadow Lake which is about an hour going west in Seguine. There are good boat ramps at both lakes but you need to pay. Both lakes hold some decent fish. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: banker-always fishing] #10215788 08/16/14 02:51 PM
R
rayhoyer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
thanks banker! i've heard of that lake wood just haven't made it there yet, bout a 30 minute hike for me, but it's in the near future. i'm not too sure how the water is there do you know what color it usually is?

that was you in the NB paper wasn't it? saw you on the news if it was you, about that record fish, AWESOME! nice catch.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10215809 08/16/14 03:01 PM
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
The times I fished Lake Wood the water was clear is some areas and stained in others. The lake was in good shape. The park there at the lake is kept up good. Also very few boaters. I usually fish weekdays and not weekends. fish

Side Note: Yes Sir that would be me. I tagged that Rio in 2011 and through research it was found to be a world record. It has been the State Record since 2011. thumb

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10216163 08/16/14 07:02 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
OK, been meaning to post about this subject. We have Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales here in Gonzales county on the Guadalupe River. Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales are coming under fire from the "friends" of the lakes. It was just approved to spray Lake Gonzales to kill all the grass. And "The Friends of Lake Wood" are raising funds to buy and stock grass carp in Lake Wood. There is very little grass in Lake Wood from GBRA dropping the water level every winter to expose the plants to freezing weather. This has eliminated almost all aquatic growth. Now they want to do the same at Lake Gonzales.
Access....Lake Wood has two launching ramps open to the public. One free and one pay. lake Gonzales has one pay ramp. But I am going before the county commissioners next week to plead for an agreement with the ramp owner to be sure it remains open. There is a gate across the ramp and a brand new chain and lock just waiting for the owner to decide to close it. The county is paying part of the cost of grass removal, and since tax dollars are going to be used it's only fair that the ramp remains open for all.
The Lake Gonzales can be seen on Google Earth. Since I started inquiring about the ramp, someone has put a marker on Google earth showing "Public Ramp on lake Gonzales". ($5 fee, honor system as of today)

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10216418 08/16/14 09:30 PM
C
ChickyGooda Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Does anyone know if it's possible to launch a 21 foot Ranger on Meadow Lake? Thanks!

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: ChickyGooda] #10216731 08/17/14 12:45 AM
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
You should have no problems! The ramp is located at an RV park on the outskirts of Seguin. It cost $5.00.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: ChuChu1] #10217268 08/17/14 07:32 AM
B
BassXpress Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
OK, been meaning to post about this subject. We have Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales here in Gonzales county on the Guadalupe River. Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales are coming under fire from the "friends" of the lakes. It was just approved to spray Lake Gonzales to kill all the grass. And "The Friends of Lake Wood" are raising funds to buy and stock grass carp in Lake Wood. There is very little grass in Lake Wood from GBRA dropping the water level every winter to expose the plants to freezing weather. This has eliminated almost all aquatic growth. Now they want to do the same at Lake Gonzales

Don't mean to hijack, but you wanna see what the "Friends of Lake Wood" are about to do to your lake, just check out what a mud hole the formerly pristine Lake Austin is becoming now that "Friends of Lake Austin" forced major stockings and the grass carp have stripped the lake clean of ALL aquatic vegetation. There is zero grass, the water is ALWAYS stained and off color now, and there's even regular sightings of the grass carp starting to break off reeds and swim off with them to eat because there's nothing else left. Don't let FOLW do it!!

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: BassXpress] #10217441 08/17/14 01:13 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: BassXpress
OK, been meaning to post about this subject. We have Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales here in Gonzales county on the Guadalupe River. Lake Wood and Lake Gonzales are coming under fire from the "friends" of the lakes. It was just approved to spray Lake Gonzales to kill all the grass. And "The Friends of Lake Wood" are raising funds to buy and stock grass carp in Lake Wood. There is very little grass in Lake Wood from GBRA dropping the water level every winter to expose the plants to freezing weather. This has eliminated almost all aquatic growth. Now they want to do the same at Lake Gonzales

Don't mean to hijack, but you wanna see what the "Friends of Lake Wood" are about to do to your lake, just check out what a mud hole the formerly pristine Lake Austin is becoming now that "Friends of Lake Austin" forced major stockings and the grass carp have stripped the lake clean of ALL aquatic vegetation. There is zero grass, the water is ALWAYS stained and off color now, and there's even regular sightings of the grass carp starting to break off reeds and swim off with them to eat because there's nothing else left. Don't let FOLW do it!!

I know,seen it before. Problem here is all the set up was done behind closed doors and no one knew it was coming. When I questioned my county commissioner, he said they were told to be ready for complaints from fishermen. The damage is done. My battle now is to keep it from becoming Lake McQueeny II. GBRA has a history of catering to the developers and homeowners.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: ChuChu1] #10218912 08/18/14 01:38 AM
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: BassXpress

I know,seen it before. Problem here is all the set up was done behind closed doors and no one knew it was coming. When I questioned my county commissioner, he said they were told to be ready for complaints from fishermen. The damage is done. My battle now is to keep it from becoming Lake McQueeny II. GBRA has a history of catering to the developers and homeowners.

You are right about catering to developers. soap However I don't think Lake Wood is much of a water skiers lake. hmmm I have fished that lake several times and I have never seen a water skier. clap Usually the water skiers and wake boaters are the ones complaining of the grass beds. Just look at Lake Austin! realmad

Side Note: I also think the county or the GBRA owns the park where the boat ramp is located. Mcqueeney's only public ramp was privately owned and the owner of the ramp sold his property to a developer. I think the voters would have a major say on any property owned by the GBRA. Just my two cents. 2cents

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10219914 08/18/14 04:50 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
GBRA owns some of the property around Lake Wood and has leased lots on that property. That's why all the shacks. Yes, they ski on Lake Wood. We have at least one death from skiing every year. If you look at Google earth, GBRA owns the dam area, and the islands. That's all. The rest is privately owned. Those houses along the lake on the north side, now belong to a bunch of liberals from California. Lake Wood is NOT in danger of being closed, but Lake Gonzales is. GBRA owns about the same area on Lake Gonzales, but it is not open to the public. The only ramp that can be used by the public is private fee ramp. It can be closed at a moments notice. That is the problem. All I want is an agreement between GBRA, Gonzales County and the ramp owner that insures the ramp will remain open after Gonzales County tax dollars are spent.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10225835 08/20/14 09:59 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I talked to another county commissioner, the commissioner who's district covers lake Gonzales, and he said GBRA hammered the commissioners court saying that Gonzales County was the last to "buy in" on GBRA's river lakes weed control project. He said they are planning too eliminate aquatic growth in ALL the lakes from canyon dam to Lake Wood. They are targeting invasive grasses, but the spray will kill native growth also.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: rayhoyer] #10226369 08/21/14 01:41 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
All you have to do is follow the money, and you'll find that greed wins out all the time. More developement means more taxes and more money for the County. You can bet that high dollar homes and condo's will replace those shacks and public boat launches will be a thing of the past just like McQueeney as you stated earlier.

Just one more cast!

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: banker-always fishing] #10227137 08/21/14 01:31 PM
B
Big Lunker Offline
Angler
Angler
B
The original owner where the public boat ramp was on Lake McQueeney sold the whole property to a doctor who practices in New Braunfels. That privatize what public boat ramp you had at McQueeney. Place was called HOT SHOTS, and lots of beer went down there.

Re: Guadalupe River - around Gonzales and/or Cuero [Re: Big Lunker] #10227817 08/21/14 05:22 PM
T
TuN3R Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Big Lunker
The original owner where the public boat ramp was on Lake McQueeney sold the whole property to a doctor who practices in New Braunfels. That privatize what public boat ramp you had at McQueeney. Place was called HOT SHOTS, and lots of beer went down there.

None of them see bigger picture !! If they only can fix that ramp & fix that property little bit with lights and everything charge people 8 bucks to launch everytime they will be making enough money through it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide