Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,453
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109677 07/03/14 04:02 PM
H
HasBen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H

Bass-Bustin, I understand what you are saying and I want to agree, but I cannot. When I go to the lake I already have to consider if my registration is up to date, do I have the right equipment in the boat (that dang throwable thing), will I get stopped and boarded by a game warder and nit pick every little thing. You can already be cited for unsafe or excessive speed and reckless operation by any game warden at any time at his discretion. When I go to the lake I want to be able to run my boat at a safe speed in a safe manner. That might be 50 mph or it might be 95 mph, but I can make that determination. I just think there are plenty of restrictions and laws on the books right now. Maybe we don't have enough enforcement, but the laws are already there.

Just remember..." Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Ben Franklin

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Okie Poke] #10109683 07/03/14 04:04 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Originally Posted By: Bissett
I know Grand Lake has a speed limit at night of 35 and they are on the lookout.

This is a state law in OK and affects all lakes and reservoirs.

nope that is a grda rule/law, they will enforce it and it has dropped to 25.

Speed limit changes for Oklahoma lakes; other new rules in place

Updated: Dec 24, 2010 5:17 PM CST
If you are heading to some lakes in Oklahoma this weekend there are some new rules to be aware of.

The Grand River Dam Authority says new lake rules went into effect June 25. They pertain to Grand Lake and Hudson Lake.

One rule in particular is worth noting - the new night speed limit for boaters - between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise.

The former night speed limit was 35 miles per hour.

The night speed limit is now 25 miles per hour.

You can get a complete list of the new rules on the GRDA website: http://www.grda.com/Water/lakepatrol.html

lakes not under grda do not have a speed limit that I have ever found, some may if managed by a city like edmond (they run arcadia) but I still have not ever seen any.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10109687 07/03/14 04:05 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
another noteworthy law on grda is bridges are all idle speed only, all other lakes you can run under a bridge on plane unless marked.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: HasBen] #10109767 07/03/14 04:46 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: HasBen

Just remember..." Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Ben Franklin

Ben Franklin also flew a kite in a lighting storm. smile

Sho don't mean I am grabbing my kite next storm that rolls through town. thumb

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10110093 07/03/14 06:47 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
it is called common sense, a thing that is severely lacking in present times.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10110511 07/03/14 09:53 PM
Jmsteele Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I think the speed limit is a good idea. I won't hardly run on pad in the dark anymore if it can be avoided and still reach my spot by fishing time. A couple years ago on Texoma we missed hitting a big dark colored cigar boat (which had no lights on) by feet. Us and the other boat were running too fast. It scared us pretty good. Another thing I learned,when I first got my boat I caught myself running across the lake at night following the trails on my graph. Then I realized that when I did this and looked up I couldn't see well because my eyes were adjusted to watching the screen.
I would dare to say these big graphs are probably a factor in some of night time accident's for that reason.

Last edited by Jmsteele; 07/03/14 09:55 PM.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10110538 07/03/14 10:06 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted By: HasBen

Ben Franklin also flew a kite in a lighting storm. smile

Sho don't mean I am grabbing my kite next storm that rolls through town. thumb

I am with Ben on this one.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 07/04/14 12:13 PM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10110600 07/03/14 10:32 PM
H
HasBen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
What will a speed limit accomplish? There are laws on the books that a game warden can pull you over for reckless driving and unsafe speed and, tell the truth, how many times have you seen that happen. We don't don't have enough game wardens now to enforce important game laws. Do we really want them hiding out in the bushes with a radar gun setting up speed traps as a revenue source? Use common sense. Enforce the laws we have now. Forget more frivolous laws that won't get enforced and when they do, they will be for revenue purposes, not safety purposes. Keep giving your freedom away to the government folks. I am sure North Korea has boat speed limits...if they even still have boats. grin

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10111254 07/04/14 03:48 AM
S
swift1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Lights , Lights , Lights , run our system and you wont get hit at night!

Check us out at www.NightFishion.net
"LIKE" us on Facebook
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10111297 07/04/14 04:09 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Speed limits on the water during the day or at night will NOT slow down those that want to go faster than the posted speed. I was on LBJ this week and the posted speed limit is 60 and the average speed was 70-75, how's that working out?

Who will enforce the speed limits? You think there is budgeted money for enforcement, the answer is 100% no. The government at every level is strapped for cash and laws like this are usually of a reactionary nature that are lobbied and passed by politicians. After the politicians get their face time for "making our lakes safe", they quickly forget about them and then the burden falls somewhere else to enforce the laws.

The only time you will ever hear about the laws will be during busy times on certain bodies of water or after an accident.

#MFGA
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10111617 07/04/14 12:10 PM
J
JesseX Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
HasBen is right on this issue. More useless laws will not fix or prevent anything. Tons of traffic law on the books yet thousands die on the road yearly. Hundreds die on the water every year in violation of clear cut law.

A little common sense and some boating education would be more effective. I know I learned a lot in the basic boater education course I took many years ago.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10111642 07/04/14 12:23 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
So you say no new laws....use common sense?

How do you plan on making Bubba use common sense this weekend?

Should the GW stay home? Let common sense dictate how the holiday goes? LOL!

DPS shouldn't be on the watch for Drunk Drivers? We should let the drunks use common sense?

I got a pocket full of common sense(apparently the posters above do too)....I know some really smart people who don't have a stitch of common sense.

I worry about the people who aren't smart, lack common sense, and do dangerous stuff and put everyone else in danger.

Kinda like smoking cigarettes....I don't care what you do. Smoke 10 at a time, it doesn't effect me, but drop a burning smoke on my boat seat I will get mad. Ya'll get it?

(BTW Hasben doesn't like smoking......we posted about this before in the OT. He just likes laws that help him...he doesn't like to smell smoke when he goes out. smile

So Hasben, how do you pick your laws you like or don't like? juggle )

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10111674 07/04/14 12:35 PM
J
JesseX Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
So you say no new laws....use common sense?

How do you plan on making Bubba use common sense this weekend?

Should the GW stay home? Let common sense dictate how the holiday goes? LOL!

DPS shouldn't be on the watch for Drunk Drivers? We should let the drunks use common sense?

I got a pocket full of common sense....I know some really smart people who don't have a stitch of common sense.

Yes, that's what I said. Congratulations, you can read but comprehension may be your problem.

Neither you or I can stop Bubba from being stupid and neither can the law.

A GW cannot be everywhere.

Got a law on the books about drunk driving and underage drinking. That works well doesn't it?

Total Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities in Texas 2012 = 1296
Under 21 Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities Texas 2012 = 169

I don't know how you arrived at your imbecilic diatribe about the GW staying off the water and drunks but please continue. It's a slow morning on the TTF.

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10111709 07/04/14 12:47 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Common sense would say "why do bars having parking lots? If driving drunk is illegal? Does it make sense? No.

All I would like is a limit on certain areas or certain lakes or at certain times. Just like their is a limit of beers you can have and drive.

For instance Lake o the Pines boat lane. Very dangerous. Many people have almost died.....and if I am not mistaken someone died in the past. One TFFer (posted on here with pics) had his boat totaled by another guy with a 300hp motor going WOS down the boat lane. God saved him and his kid as the motor went over their head.

Do we just keep putting our heads in the sand? Go as fast as you want down a tight boat lane built 30 + years ago? (30 years ago, you were lucky to go 50mph). Or do you put a speed limit or possibly even a sign warning people?

Sounds like the Conroe deal was on a turn as well...possibly a blind turn? Not sure, but several mentioned they had issues there before.

It's like lowering the speed limit on a turn in the mountains? Should you use common sense?

Re: "Plane Speed" law at night on lakes [Re: JesseX] #10111716 07/04/14 12:50 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: JesseX

Neither you or I can stop Bubba from being stupid and neither can the law.

Most people abide by the speed limit when driving a car down the highway

Does it stop everyone? No. But generally it works better than not having a limit. (I would assume! smile )

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide