Forums59
Topics1,039,593
Posts13,967,216
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: ColoradoTransplant] #10100643 06/30/14 01:20 AM
R
roblo101 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
You can go to Stanley.com/ribbit frog an they have a video, how to hook them an how to fish them
One of my best frog lures, IMO, you get more strikes/blow ups
Hardest thing is waiting 2-3 seconds before setting the hook
I've jerked plenty right out of their mouths, lol

Skeeter/Yamaha and Love to feel something on the other end!! Lol
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: ColoradoTransplant] #10102138 06/30/14 06:45 PM
G
grumpydog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
I have had nothing but good luck with the ribbit top toads. Good float, great action, and you can buzz it if you choose. If you split the foot pads you will get a messier but quieter noise. That seems to work best in very calm water.

If you walk around with a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
Unknown
Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: Donald Harper] #10102274 06/30/14 07:26 PM
Dean Coleman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Fish it on top in a constant retrieve across any grass cover and along the edges of that cover. Keep it moving nice and slow.

I

Your best follow up bait for a missed blow up on a hollow body or spook is a FLUKE. When they miss the frog don't move it, just let it sit and pick up the Fluke rod and cast to it. Works almost every time.

Great technique...but remember, illegal in most tournaments..one line in the water at a time.

Last edited by Petrucci; 06/30/14 07:27 PM.

Dean Coleman
Humble Texas

Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: ColoradoTransplant] #10102343 06/30/14 07:53 PM
G
gutcheck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
To me the buzzing frog is like the square bill of topwaters... I love walking and popping frogs but more often the reaction bite of a ribbit, top toad, horny toad or Bigfoot is the way to go... You can cover water fast and it can really put quality fish in the boat in a hurry. My favorite is the scumfrog Bigfoot... It's really just a hollow body with paddle feet. It's light so you can't cast it super far but its light weight also means it can tumble, deflect and roll over logs, sticks rocks and grass patches without hanging up... Like I say, I think of it as my topwater squarebill. Very soft body like the other scum frogs and comes with an owner hook so hook ups are good. The negative is that the paddle legs are not fully connected to the frog and sometimes the fish will rip them out... You can help this by stitching the legs into the body with braid but if you overdo it it'll kill the action. They don't last like say a spro popping frog but they're fairly cheap.

Regular Stankey Ribbits are awesome. They are a little louder than the subtler gurgle of the horny toads. So sometimes the fish want one type more than the other. You can drop them in the water column and sometimes the sub surface presentation works better. I personally think they'll eat black more often than any other color but sometimes they prefer the green or white shades. I think the ribbits and horny toads work best with a single screw lock unweighted hook like the one Gammy makes. Sometimes the best retrieve is a super fast burn and these are best for this with one one of the weighted hooks. Another bait like these that is good is the Gambler Cane Toad.

The Stanley Top Toad is basically a hollow body ribbit. Lots of water displacement with them and since they float you can slow them down near pieces of cover. You use the double take hooks and the hook ups are awesome, but since the hook points are not skin hooked or texas rigged, they can get caught on stuff more easily than others. They're a heavy bait so you can wing them a long ways but the larger profile and big plop is sometimes too much for some situations and also the weight of the frog allows the fish to fling and thrash them pretty hard during the fight and the nose can get torn up pretty quick. Great frog for big areas of emergent grass with little other types of stuff that they could get hung up on because you can really cover water with them and the hook system makes for great long distance hook sets.

There are some other floating buzz frog designs out there like the damiki air frog but I haven't gotten around to trying any of them. They look good but these baits don't last long and those damikis are hard to find and pretty spendy for a bait that might be destroyed after one fish.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: gutcheck] #10105177 07/01/14 09:55 PM
G
grumpydog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
gutcheck...I been throwing ribbits since they came out...luv the frog. They went one better with the top toad. I spend 75% of my time on Toledo Bend throwing the toad. You hit the big weakness with the toad being easy to throw off during a fight. But...
a dab of repair glue when you screw it back on will hold awhile. If it gets too loose for glue, wait till you get back, light a candle, hand melt an old worm like a glue stick and build another nose on the toad.
I have some that I have caught 40-50 fish on, rebuilt the nose numerous times, and they still work.
About the only thing they wont survive is a gar attack. They come out looking like something thats been through a garbage disposal.
Put on a new one and keep fishing.

If you walk around with a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
Unknown
Re: Lots of talk about hollow body frogs lately, but what about... [Re: ColoradoTransplant] #10107568 07/02/14 06:54 PM
J
jaseoutdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
buzzbait until there is too much vegetation, ribbit frog until too heavy of vegetation then regular LiveTarget frog.

I'd like to say my best topwater has been the Strike King Eeliminator for last 4 years but they discontinued it last year and im down to just a few...so no need in discussing....Lunker City Salad Spoon is close but cannot match the versatility of the Eeliminator as a topwater and soft jerkbait.

"Never Stop Casting"

www.jaseoutdoors.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide