Page 1 of 2 1 2
Swim Baits on FORK #10058709 06/12/14 07:17 PM
N
Nutman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
I have never been a swim bait fisherman.
I usually fish plastics and topwater baits.
I want to try my hand at swim baits on Lake Fork & Lake Athens.
In your opinion what is the swim bait to use on Fork & is it fished shallow, mid-range or deep?
GO.............

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10058751 06/12/14 07:30 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Right now, DEEP. Before you go and spend a ton of money, try the 4" or 5" pre-rigged, weighted Storm Wild Eyes Shad. I prefer the 5". Count it down and reel through suspended fish. Best is when the fish are on bottom or near it though. Two retrieves then. One is just to barely reel the bait and try to maintain contact with the bottom. The other is let it sink to bottom and retrieve by burning 4-5 cranks of your reel handle then kill it. Let it fall back to bottom and repeat. All the way back to the boat. You'll know it's on bottom when your line goes slack. Don't worry, you'll know when a fish hits it cuz they smoke it! A crankbait will still catch them more quickly if they're in 20 ft or less. I use this technique for deeper schools. Say 21-40'.

Best colors are Mullet, Shad, Bunker and Pearl. I throw it on a heavy action rod with a mod/fast tip, a 7:1 reel and 20# fluoro or 50# braid.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10058764 06/12/14 07:36 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I like the swimbaits that are weighted from the package already, meaning I don't have to supply the jig head. I tear them easy placing the hook inside and up through, good swimbaits are expensive to tear from the beginning (YUM money minnow)etc...(Storm makes a good on already weighted)

You can swim them fast in shallow, or count the heavier (1 oz ) down to the depth you want to fish. Very versatile bait at any depth depending on the weight?

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10058767 06/12/14 07:37 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
dang fouzman, we must have been typing at the same time, lol. Also, if you are going to run the jighead through the bait itself, the bait WILL NOT run true in the water if the hook is off a bit...hence the action won't be maximized!

Last edited by InTheClear; 06/12/14 07:42 PM.
Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: InTheClear] #10058809 06/12/14 07:58 PM
N
Nutman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: InTheClear
I like the swimbaits that are weighted from the package already, meaning I don't have to supply the jig head. I tear them easy placing the hook inside and up through, good swimbaits are expensive to tear from the beginning (YUM money minnow)etc...(Storm makes a good on already weighted)

You can swim them fast in shallow, or count the heavier (1 oz ) down to the depth you want to fish. Very versatile bait at any depth depending on the weight?
Originally Posted By: InTheClear

Thanks
I appreciate that.

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10061198 06/13/14 04:26 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Hard to beat the Trespasser that is made locally at Fork, any of the 3:16 smaller line thrus or anything by Pro Swimbaits line thru wise. I love the 5 to 7" size.

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10061390 06/13/14 05:36 PM
D
Derrek Stewart Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
If you really want to learn swimbaits then … I say it many times, techniques catch fish not the lure. So if you go to the lure first without understanding what the technique is the cart is in front of the horse. Get ahead of yourself and you probably won't experience success and motivation will wane regardless of which lake.

It is too difficult to catch other anglers fish. There are too many variables involved and if you miss just one you are most likely going to experience the lack of success and give up. Everything matters yet nothing matters. That means some days it doesn't matter what you do the window for success is wide open and there is a wide range of presentations that will succeed. When everything matters it means things are very specific and there is a precise subscription that will lead to success. Miss just component from the list and that will most likely make the difference between success and failure. Most days on the water Everything Matters.

Decide what swimbaits mean to you and how they are going to fit into your style of fishing. There is a basic list of items that are on basses menu. Your goal is make the bass think it's accomplishing it's goal. Don't fear the big bait, they have the greatest drawing power and are actually more forgiving of mistakes. Despite popular believe systems bass eat very large prey items. Smaller baits require more precision.

Because everything usually matters and like anything that is going to withstand the test of time build a solid foundation first. So when it comes to swimbaits first learn what the Funnel is (prime ambush zones including bait balls). Learn how to approach them and what the best casting angle is. Learn why fish follow and what a follower can teach you about their mood and your presentation (bass follow everything you just usually can't see it like you can with swimbaits). Learn to really swim, nature rarely produces straight lines. Learn to determine which portion of the water column the bass are primarily using on any given day and then which swimbait/lure is best suited… The list goes on.

The beauty of all this is it doesn't matter what lure/technique your using. The lessons of swimbaiting are the same lessons of the jig, the drop shot, the crankbait… A great jig fisherman is already using swimbait theory, might not realize it and a few words need to be changed but the principles are the same.

The BBZ will leap your learning curve.

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10061828 06/13/14 08:53 PM
G
GaryReynolds Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Swimbaits don't work in Texas!

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Derrek Stewart] #10061851 06/13/14 09:06 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Derrek Stewart
If you really want to learn swimbaits then … I say it many times, techniques catch fish not the lure. So if you go to the lure first without understanding what the technique is the cart is in front of the horse. Get ahead of yourself and you probably won't experience success and motivation will wane regardless of which lake.

It is too difficult to catch other anglers fish. There are too many variables involved and if you miss just one you are most likely going to experience the lack of success and give up. Everything matters yet nothing matters. That means some days it doesn't matter what you do the window for success is wide open and there is a wide range of presentations that will succeed. When everything matters it means things are very specific and there is a precise subscription that will lead to success. Miss just component from the list and that will most likely make the difference between success and failure. Most days on the water Everything Matters.

Decide what swimbaits mean to you and how they are going to fit into your style of fishing. There is a basic list of items that are on basses menu. Your goal is make the bass think it's accomplishing it's goal. Don't fear the big bait, they have the greatest drawing power and are actually more forgiving of mistakes. Despite popular believe systems bass eat very large prey items. Smaller baits require more precision.

Because everything usually matters and like anything that is going to withstand the test of time build a solid foundation first. So when it comes to swimbaits first learn what the Funnel is (prime ambush zones including bait balls). Learn how to approach them and what the best casting angle is. Learn why fish follow and what a follower can teach you about their mood and your presentation (bass follow everything you just usually can't see it like you can with swimbaits). Learn to really swim, nature rarely produces straight lines. Learn to determine which portion of the water column the bass are primarily using on any given day and then which swimbait/lure is best suited… The list goes on.

The beauty of all this is it doesn't matter what lure/technique your using. The lessons of swimbaiting are the same lessons of the jig, the drop shot, the crankbait… A great jig fisherman is already using swimbait theory, might not realize it and a few words need to be changed but the principles are the same.

uh......what?

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Tiltman] #10062088 06/13/14 11:46 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: Tiltman
Originally Posted By: Derrek Stewart

uh......what?

Exactly, lol

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10062297 06/14/14 01:50 AM
D
Derrek Stewart Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I post here because I can do without the drama the local forum in So Cal produces. I came across TFF and it appeared to be different, it seemed that anglers here were more constructive and wanted to spend time learning and helping one and another. That was also my experience with the people I have actually met while fishing Texas lakes. Maybe I'm mistaken?

To date, 7346 posts between the two of you and that is what you come up with!

The forum can decide but I think that if you don't want to learn, help or perhaps incapable of comprehension you should just be silent because you're more than likely preventing others from asking the right questions.

Do you see that smile on my face? Well it's still there!

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Derrek Stewart] #10062332 06/14/14 02:12 AM
gsbass Offline
Angler
Angler
Lol. Nice..

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: fouzman] #10062348 06/14/14 02:19 AM
M
MudMan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Right now, DEEP. Before you go and spend a ton of money, try the 4" or 5" pre-rigged, weighted Storm Wild Eyes Shad. I prefer the 5". Count it down and reel through suspended fish. Best is when the fish are on bottom or near it though. Two retrieves then. One is just to barely reel the bait and try to maintain contact with the bottom. The other is let it sink to bottom and retrieve by burning 4-5 cranks of your reel handle then kill it. Let it fall back to bottom and repeat. All the way back to the boat. You'll know it's on bottom when your line goes slack. Don't worry, you'll know when a fish hits it cuz they smoke it! A crankbait will still catch them more quickly if they're in 20 ft or less. I use this technique for deeper schools. Say 21-40'.

Best colors are Mullet, Shad, Bunker and Pearl. I throw it on a heavy action rod with a mod/fast tip, a 7:1 reel and 20# fluoro or 50# braid.

I've been fishing this pattern since 2007 on my summer trips to Fork. Only difference is I use 15# mono and a blue shad color Storm Wild Eye. This pic was taken July 1, 2007:

I just got back from Fork a couple weeks ago and caught a few good ones on this pattern, but they were not there for me in big schools yet. What's funny, I didn't think anyone else threw these Storm baits because they are inexpensive.

Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10062363 06/14/14 02:23 AM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Derrek

Appreciate your post and I agree. Sometime you can't see the forest because of the trees

You have to understand why it's working to see how it works
Swimbait fishing is defiantly a big picture item that you had to break down the secondary causes to understand how the bite is developing

You cnst just chunk and crank and get success The more factors that are i your favor the better the bite/success is going To be

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Swim Baits on FORK [Re: Nutman] #10062372 06/14/14 02:29 AM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Man Derek I re read your original and still don't know what your point was , I guess I am stupid after all. What is BBZ is that a brand of swim bait or book on swim baits ? ??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide