Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,312
Posts13,962,696
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? #10034144 06/03/14 06:42 PM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Overslept, and didn’t get on the water by 8am. Went out of Highport and had the entire channel to myself as far as the eye could see .. actually even with Binoculars. Not that I condone following other boats, but not seeing anyone fishing was a bit worrisome. We worked east on the Texas side, 1 dink striper. Then over to the North Island and the ledge that runs NE past the island. Finally had a few other fishing boats but nobody stayed around long. We got 2 small 18” off Alabama rigs trolled 2.5 mph. Both took the rig that had 6” glow Shads and passed up the rig with 3 – 4” pearl yum money minnows. The pearl ones killed for me a few weeks ago.

Father got 1 huge striper on a hump just north of that ledge off North Island. I say huge because at first the drag was screaming like he was hung up. I stopped the boat and the line went left and the rod was bent over. I feel that he had the drag set a bit loose, but still the fish was running away from the boat. Father was running out of line, and I was trying to chase the fish down on the motor. Father started to get line back and then it ran again .. for a few seconds it felt like an episode of wicked tuna smile .. wind was blowing good and we were getting in bigger waves as we moved north, I don’t know if a wave rocked us or what happened, but the 20lb mono snapped. No idea if it wrapped on a stump or what happened.. but that was the only real excitement for the day.

It was now noon and the wind was picking up, out of the south, south east. I saw some guide boats working the OK shoreline behind the islands, and I should have went there, but I am still scared of anything behind the islands with the lake so low. We moved back to the TX side of Preston Point and got a few small striper on the big shallow flats 17-20 FOW, we made the turn east to the top of Preston Point but got nothing and to much wind.

We went all the way west to Mill Creek, checked our favorite island cut, but to much pleasure boat traffic. The wind was still easterly, so it was blowing up against the cut for the scout camp there, I marked bait at 25' in 35-40' there and some smaller fish arches. No takers, so we called it quits and went home at 3pm.

Not a terrible day, but from the lack of Guide Boats, and the few I did see were coming back from the east, makes me wonder if all the fish went east or NE ??

Maybe time to launch from somewhere else and go towards the dam. .. It could have been worse, 2 other boats at the ramp had zero, so at least we didn't get skunked smile

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10034159 06/03/14 06:48 PM
PlanoKeith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Great report Rob. You and Father did good because y'all got some fish. thumb

Keith smile

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10035078 06/04/14 12:22 AM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Thanks Keith .. I am getting worried our quest for stripper maybe coming to an end. If they have moved now back to the main lake, then any decent south wind, will keep us out of that area, unless we limit ourselves to Eisenhower State park area.

Hopefully we will get lucky and the wind will give us a break on a weekend or two.

-rob

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10035223 06/04/14 01:05 AM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
yes rob they are returning to the "ocean" so to speak. so like them head east to the dam and all the bigwater for summer refuge. Every year they will pile up on east northeast side in summertime. Yes there are always some fish all over but the bio-mass of striped bass not west anymore. also you have to get over your fear of behind em. how much could you draft? but i will add there are some wild areas so knowledge of channels helps for sure. you could come in from the north and learn slow smile also with your wind issues little mineral is very deep and has times its piled up as well because in the warmer water they move alot!

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10035315 06/04/14 01:29 AM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Thanks as always Chris for the advice...

Draft isn't the issue, just don't want to bump my new motor/prop into a stump .. I will have to try and run it with the trolling motor and go slow until I build up some GPS tracks.

Will fish continue to be up in the OK side behind North Island in the summer ?

Hopefully the wind will be nice on the weekends, so we can run around in the big water with everyone else smile

-rob

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10036130 06/04/14 12:14 PM
KevinStryker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Nice Report Rob...Thought i had the same problem got there at late 730 trying to catch bait at cedar mill marina none, so gave up...Where all the shad go this year? Just got a new 2003 18ft center console been want to try on the big pond, nice over cast day ,water like glass no boat to be found head east by highport start trolling first ten minute , the drag went screaming after I saw a huge school on my new hds7 ....sweet big 15lb biggest I caught this past two year.....thinking it going to be a good day so after that start trolling far east tour preston a few here and there not much action.
So made a move tour soldier creek not much action w lure try every thing but shad so head back west head back west around 1 still havnt see any school or action...geting hot w the sun beam at you so fish a little but no action so home we go....not a bad day ...

Thanks, Kevin
Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10039393 06/05/14 02:46 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Rob: You can hit the butterfly coves and the swimming area from Eisenhower with that boat. Just don't fish on real windy days and stay close to the Texas side. Also, the best time to fish for stripers in the summer in my opinion is the hour before and after dark. Usually the wind is down and those big fish come right up on those points.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: PKfishin] #10039572 06/05/14 03:43 PM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Rob: You can hit the butterfly coves and the swimming area from Eisenhower with that boat. Just don't fish on real windy days and stay close to the Texas side. Also, the best time to fish for stripers in the summer in my opinion is the hour before and after dark. Usually the wind is down and those big fish come right up on those points.

What he said

Formerly known as Scooter79

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10041577 06/06/14 02:44 AM
B
benp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
glad to hear they are moving to main lake and schooling up cant wait to give it a shot. wind forecast says looks pretty good for tomorrow! Can not decide if we should head up there for afternoon or just wait till the evening. Hear some reports of a decent afternoon bite lately.

I only fish on days that end in Y!

Re: Texoma - late report for Sunday June 2 - where did they go ? [Re: MtnDew] #10043737 06/06/14 09:52 PM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Thanks for the info Guys .. half the time I leave Texoma in the dark because I don't want to leave, the other half in the daylight swearing I will go back to fishing for black bass in the creeks smile ..

then I read reports and weather and think .. maybe next time is my time smile
Wind for Sunday is looking almost looking doable .. just hoping for 1 big stripper in the small boat smile

Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide