B
BC Guide Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Article written by Ray Sasser in Thursdays Dallas Morning News:

Sasser: Catch a day of free fishing, big bass banquet in early June

June 7 promises to be a big day at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens. Its the kickoff to National Fishing and Boating Week. Theres free admission to TFFC for youths 12 and younger and free fishing for the whole family.
From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., free hotdogs, chips and drinks will be served by employees of the Athens Wal-Mart Supercenter. The schedule of events and details are at tpwd.state.tx.us/tffc or call 903-676-2277.
June 7 is also designated Free Sport Fishing Day in Texas, meaning fishing license requirements are waived for that day only.
On the evening of June 7, TFFC will host its annual Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame Banquet, which recognizes anglers who contributed Toyota ShareLunkers to the big bass hatchery program.
After a fast start, the 2013-2014 ShareLunker season ground to a disappointing halt. There were nine total entries, just the third time entries were in single digits since this program got an early jump-start by a state-record 17.67-pounder caught Nov. 26, 1986, by Lake Fork fishing guide Mark Stevenson.
More on Stevenson and the fish, which he named Ethel, later. Of this seasons nine ShareLunkers (largemouth bass weighing 13 pounds or more), three were caught from Fork and all three were caught by nonresident anglers, though one was crappie fishing at the time.
Randall Claybourne of Tulsa, Okla., earned Angler of the Year honors for a 13.86-pounder from Fork. Its the smallest AOY catch in program history. Claybourne is due a prize package of high-end fishing tackle, but he misses out on the real prize (a lifetime Texas fishing license) because only Texas residents are eligible.
Two of the ShareLunkers were lake records. Casey Laughlin of Rowlett caught a Lake Palestine record, 13.22 pounds, and Ken Leonard of New Braunfels caught a 13-pounder from Lady Bird Lake, the Austin city lake formerly known as Town Lake.
Lake Athens produced two ShareLunkers, the only lake other than Fork with more than one. Athens now has three total fish, the first one caught in 1989. Toledo Bend also had a ShareLunker, as did Lake Austin. The program uses only pure-strain Florida bass to spawn, and two of them did spawn, producing 143,440 fry.
Nomination of the original ShareLunker, incidentally, was rejected by the HOF committee because Ethel was a fish and not a person, and the rules state person or organization.
Being an HOF Committee member is a thankless job, but get a life, people. As the star attraction for Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Springfield, Mo., Ethel became the most famous bass in modern history.
Mark Stevenson, the fishing guide who caught Ethel, made Texas bass fishing more than a numbers game. He arguably sped the acceptance of not killing big bass, yet Stevenson was rejected by the HOF, according to the rejection letter, because the committee is particularly interested in contributions made by the nominee that go beyond the persons livelihood responsibilities.
There are currently 25 inductees in the HOF. At least 10 of the individuals and one of the companies could be rejected under a livelihood responsibilities requirement. Five of them are former TPWD employees. They were paid to do what they did to earn HOF honors. The current HOF Committee Chairman, Phil Durocher, a retired director of Inland Fisheries, was inducted in 2010.
For the first time since the HOF was created in 1997, there are no inductees. Thats a bad precedent from a committee asking citizens for nominations, then rejecting them, especially nominations as qualified as Mark Stevenson and Ethel.

Weekend tip
If youre planning to celebrate the Memorial Day weekend by boating or fishing, be careful out there. If the weather is good, this holiday weekend is traditionally one of the busiest times for recreational boating.
Texas ranked fourth among all states in boating accidents last year, third in fatalities and sixth in registered boats.
On Twitter: @SportsDayDFW @dallasnews

Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10011230 05/25/14 12:28 PM
P
papamark Offline
Mini Tractor
Mini Tractor
P
Mark has my VOTE all the way. Yes he should have been inducted long before now. The article says it all

Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10012058 05/25/14 10:52 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Gives me a better concept of what the Tex Hall of Fame actually is. Sounds Like a "brother-in-law" deal or "for sale". Paid for by me(tax payer) and decided by people who work for me(civil servant) to "honor" their friends. Sorry, not bitter, just an observation of what it has become. Mark is as deserving as anyone. Hall of fames are for accomplishments, cumulative or for a huge single accomplishment. They need to change it to a sponsorship or humanitarian award instead of calling it a hall of fame. Hopefully Mark feels as I do and in doing so will not even care about being slighted. :-)

Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10013949 05/26/14 08:21 PM
Draggin Yak Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
because the committee is partly interested in contributions made by the nominee that go beyond the persons livelihood responsibilities.

TPWD sure did not have a problem accepting the contribution of the $650,000 donation challenge from Bass Pro Johnny Morris for the TFFC Conservation Center. Which would not have happened had Ethel not been put on display at Bass pro in Missouri. TPWD benefitted greatly from Mark's decisions and has missed the boat on this one. Should have amended the rules and accepted the nomination.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"
Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10017182 05/28/14 12:27 AM
B
BC Guide Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
You all have a good grasp on how it works. I don't think it bothers him as much as it does me. As for the because the committee is partly interested in contributions made by the nominee that go beyond the persons livelihood responsibilities", Yes it is a big part of it and yes, he has met all of those requirements. I can set here and list those, but Mark would not be happy with me for doing so. He is just not that kind of person. Ray Sasser hit the nail on the head with this article. I always looked at being in the Fishing Hall of Fame as quite an honor. Sorry but is has just been tarnished for me. He just recently did an interview for a video that will be debuted at the Hall of Fame banquet... funny, they sure haven't minded making a profit using his and Ethel's name.

Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10018431 05/28/14 02:55 PM
Y
YassirSanchez Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: BC Guide
funny, they sure haven't minded making a profit using his and Ethel's name.

You nailed it.

If one was to send a letter to those who made this decision anyone know who to address it too?

And for the record I do not know nor have never met Mr Stevenson.

But if half of what I have been told about him is true he is a class act.

Shame on those at TPWD wha made this call

A Texian is just a regular person way out on a limb
Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10059006 06/12/14 09:03 PM
B
BC Guide Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
The Texas Bass fishing Hall of Fame is under Texas Parks and Wildlife. Nominations are excepted via email by
Larry Hodge at larry.hodge@tpwd.state.tx.us
I would imagine if you want to correspond about the HOF, it would be need to go to Larry which gives the nominations to the committee or board.

It is pretty much impossible for most people to send in a nomination as it requires references and lots of documentation, dates, and specifics.

Re: Should Mark Stevenson be in the Texas Hall of Fame? [Re: BC Guide] #10059496 06/12/14 11:32 PM
T
throwback Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Ever wonder why the predominance is of SAL's come from the I 35 corridor and east of there? It's a centric program from a W. Texans view point. Our lakes that produce big fish, Amistad and Falcon are too far for safe transport even though some have made the journey. I know personally that I will release a SAL when caught from Amistad because of the rate of mortality.

At least my boat and truck are paid for, woo hoo!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide