Forums59
Topics1,039,659
Posts13,968,566
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: LoneStarCarper] #7859766 08/09/12 02:36 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Whatever you do make sure you paddle before you buy. We can all tell you what WE think is best but it all comes down to what works best for YOU. Most of the area kayak dealers (not big box stores) have kayak demos and I recommend taking advantage of that. Otherwise you'll spend money on something you may or may not be happy with.
I have several Jackson models that you are more than welcome to test drive. PM me if you are interested.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: LoneStarCarper] #7860282 08/09/12 04:15 PM
L
LuvPondFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: LoneStarCarper
Freedom hawk is what cabelas has for $350 or 400 right now in bargain cave

I stopped by Cabela's FtW today (not yak shopping, had to buy a new fishing license) and they had one olive green Freedom Hawk sitting just outside the Bargain Cave, but the price tag on it was something like $750. Still quite a discount, but not $400. Was there another one there earlier?

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
This might be the weirdest, most pointless post ever.

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering fishing
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7860328 08/09/12 04:26 PM
LoneStarCarper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Was a yellow one I think 95% positive is was 399

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7860795 08/09/12 06:20 PM
G
Gudfshn3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I bet that thing got bought up right away at that price!!!

God does not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing.
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: Gudfshn3] #7860822 08/09/12 06:29 PM
L
LuvPondFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Gudfshn3
I bet that thing got bought up right away at that price!!!

Yeah ... its probably a good thing it was gone when I was in there today. Sometimes my will power is so weak I might have been leaving the store with a new toy. hammer

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
This might be the weirdest, most pointless post ever.

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering fishing
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: rrhyne56] #7861881 08/09/12 10:19 PM
S
Steve Zissou Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: rrhyne56
I think that particular boat is possessed by banana demons; hence its low price.

My Jackson Cuda had a case of those for awhile ... finally broke the curse by catching my first fish in it on the CO a couple of weeks ago. A baby LMB... still wet behind the ears and about as big as my pinkie - you can't make this up... As an encore I caught a healthy specimen of a redear, but that was about it.

But yeah, I paddled the boat 5 miles, actually stood up a couple of times and didn't flip it once. A minor miracle.

Back on topic, stand up kayaks are a great fly fishing platform. I like my 'cuda now I've taken the training wheels off. Native ultimate and similar craft are also very nice.

J.

Last edited by Steve Zissou; 08/09/12 10:20 PM.

If it were easy as fishin, You could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7866221 08/11/12 12:39 AM
K
Kilted Flyer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
If you're in the Garland area, check out river outfitter or something like that off Jupiter and Miller park. He'll spend time with you and even offers tours on certain lakes.

It is the constant - or in constant - change, the infinite variety in fly fishing that binds us fast. It is impossible to grow weary of a sport that is never the same on any two days of the year. T. Gordon
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7866275 08/11/12 12:57 AM
T
texasflycaster Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
You knoooooow, I have to pitch the Diablo of course. Let me know if you want to get out and take a test paddle on one. I have the Adios. Chupa Cabra is a pretty short boat, and although it's actually wider than the Adios, it's a little "skate-y" for bigger folks.
Standing is worth the cost, but there are more factors than cost.
There's a reason why the Freedom Hawks are in the bargain cave.
If you're used to the outdoors and camping / backpacking, there's plenty of room for an overnighter in the Diablos.

Last edited by texasflycaster; 08/11/12 01:05 AM.
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: texasflycaster] #7866473 08/11/12 02:00 AM
G
Gudfshn3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: texasflycaster

There's a reason why the Freedom Hawks are in the bargain cave.

Why is that?!?! I own 2 of them and absolutely love them!!! They are in the bargain cave because they are returns from customers. If they were deemed innadequate....ALL of them would be there yes!?!?

God does not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing.
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7870811 08/12/12 02:30 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: winchester44
I was just curious on other fly casters' opinion on whether the added feature of the ability to stand is really worth the extra money over a the more traditional sit on or sit in angling kayaks. I'm currently looking at the WS Ride 115 and the Jackson Coosa. (maybe the Diablo Adios if I could find a used one) I've demo'd all of them, but have not had the chance to spend any time with a rod in them. If I had to pick one today, it would probably be the Ride, if only for the fact of its small size and it seems to track slightly better.

Yes it is well worth the $$$ to get a kayak that you can stand up with. All the kayaks you have mentioned will do the job just fine. You said you have already demoed them so you have a idea of how they feel to you. If you haven't had a chance to demo one with a fly rod in your hand give Mike at Mariner Sails a call.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7871179 08/12/12 05:03 PM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C

Gittchee uhh WAVEWALK W500! That thing is more stable than a dock that has been severed from shore and allowed to drift! thumb

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7873920 08/13/12 01:44 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
IMO there are 2 reasons for a fly caster to stand in the yak.

1. He is more comfortable casting from a standing position the from a sitting one.

2. You are sight casting to fish visible below the surface. (not rising).

1 can be fixed with a bit of practice. As to #2, I rarely have an opportunity to sight cast in north Texas. The water is generally too murky or the fish too deep. Unless you are planning on regular trips to the coast I wouldn't make standing up stability a major factor.

Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7876222 08/13/12 11:47 PM
M
Mybrainisflied Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Currently own a O/C Tetra 12. Can stand in it but barely. Pretty unstable. I have been eyeballing the Coosa and I have to say, it is everything I want in a boat and more. Can someone please give me one downside to the Coosa because as far as I can tell there are none. You have stability, agility, storage, accessories,nice adjustable seat, all kinds of rod holders, good warranty, top notch material construction, reputable company. I maybe overlooking a relevant problem with the boat or some other issue that it may have but from what I have read and seen so far I dont see why anyone would buy any other yak.

Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: winchester44] #7881186 08/15/12 02:06 AM
A
Alan Sladek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
I currently fish out of the Jackson Cuda. This is an outstanding fishing platform. your able to pack a lot of gear for overnight trips. The Cuda features a fly rod holder and is very stable for stand up casting. My advice is to paddle a bunch of kayaks and see which one meets your needs. I would be happy to meet you and have you paddle mine.

Re: Stand Up Kayak: Worth the extra $$$? [Re: Shaun Russell] #7883973 08/15/12 07:51 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Hey Everyone, THANKS A MILLION! for all the great input. I must apologize for not posting in almost a week as work has just been killing me. I do really appreciate all the advice and am now firmly convinced that I need to bite the bullet and get a stand up kayak. I've demo'd the WS Ride and Jackson Coosa and am going to Fort Worth Backwoods demo day this Saturday to check out the Diablo Adios. It looks like I could get the WS Ride for $800-900 the Jackson Coosa $1100-$1200 and the Diablo at around $$1500-$1600. So far I like the Ride the best only because it seems to track far better than the Coosa. The Coosa was more comfortable, easier to stand up in and significantly lighter. The Diablo Adios looks like a very nice boat as well, but I'm not sure it's worth nearly double the price of the WS Ride. I do like the fact that it's made here in Texas though. We shall see on Saturday.

I did actually go see the Freedom Hawk at Cabela's. I'm not sure if this boat was a factory second or what, but to be really honest, the fit and finish was more akin to the $200 Kayak you would find at Academy. The fitting of the rigging like the stand up bar was quite loose which really lead me to question the reliability and durability of the rather novel pontoon system with the inevitable banging into rocks, getting dropped etc. That all being said, the Freedom Hawk might be the greatest boat in the world. These were just my impressions. I also couldn't find much to be said good or bad about it online.

I also looked at hybrid canoe/kayaks: Native Ultimate and the Jackson Commander(Prototype Jackson Kilroy looks cool too) While I was intrigued with the idea of them, upon further reflection I think I will be better served on most fishing trips with a sit on top. I have flipped my share of canoes trying to take them places like the Devils river where I was just asking for it. It's always such a disaster. I do have access to several canoes through friends and family and there's always the rental option if I really want to bring the wife and the dogs and all the gear they require for a lazy trip down the brazos. I think if I'm solo, there's plenty of room on the Diablo, WS Ride or the Jackson Coosa for two medium dry bags which I've done trips of up to 4 days with.

Again, thanks a million everyone. Will report back when I make it happen.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide