Print Thread
Deer hair help #6424434 07/21/11 04:01 PM
C
coryscrilla Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I love Deer hair poppers but I just can't seem to do it. Is it an art that will eventually cone with trial and error. Or if you do right step by step it'll work. What are the main things i need for tying these?

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."
Re: Deer hair help [Re: coryscrilla] #6424451 07/21/11 04:05 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There's no way around practice, practice, practice.

"How do you know this Robin?"

That being said, including savvy tips from experts will speed up the process as well. But I've personally found that there are some little knacks that one has to develop. Among them is exact estimation of effort in exerting pull on the thread when stacking or spinning. The right thread too, so it doesn't break and send one into paroxysms of swearing.

"How do you know this Robin?"

Might I suggest trying some deer hair stacking as well. I have personally found it a bit simpler than spinning. Get yer Google on for videos.

Last edited by rrhyne56; 07/21/11 04:05 PM.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Deer hair help [Re: rrhyne56] #6424601 07/21/11 04:44 PM
C
coryscrilla Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I'm going to bass later what tools and types of hair should I get?

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."
Re: Deer hair help [Re: coryscrilla] #6425837 07/21/11 09:21 PM
A
Alvaro P. Rojas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I recommend that you look in the following websites;
http://ksou.org/offers/flytying.aspx
another is flyrecepies.com and look in video section.
another is flytyingtheanglersart.com
Also you can look on you tube and search for tying with deer hair.
Hope this will help you.

Re: Deer hair help [Re: Alvaro P. Rojas] #6431483 07/23/11 03:35 AM
J
jimdawg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
What kind of problems are you having? If we knew that, then maybe we could give you specific advice. That said, I highly recommend getting into a bassbug class. There's nothing like a little hands on help. Spinning and stacking hair isn't that tough once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by jimdawg; 07/23/11 03:35 AM.
Re: Deer hair help [Re: jimdawg] #6432364 07/23/11 03:28 PM
B
Brimbum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
You need to watch someone who is very good with deer hair to learn all you can learn from them. Billy Munn put out a dvd a few years ago so you might want to get one of those and learn all you can from it. Might as well cause I don't think anyone in the world that is any better with deer hair than Billy. Also watch tyers wherever you can to learn. Bill Sargeant and Diane Blair of the Dallas Flyfishers club are two of the best in the Dallas Area. There are always a bunch of great deer hair spinners at the FFF Southern Conclave in Mountain Home the first weekend of October. It helps to get someone who does deer hair that works in a fly shop to help you select a few pieces that will be suitable for your use. Get them to show why you should buy each nparticular piece of deer hair. Then just be sure you clean up after yourself or you will be paying for at least one good divorce attorney. Don't forget to buy a box of band-aids whenever you buy some razor blades to trim the deer hair with.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Have fun with this stuff.

Brimbum

Texas Perchfighters
Royal Coachman Society
Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society-Executive Vice President

Re: Deer hair help [Re: coryscrilla] #6432674 07/23/11 05:51 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: coryscrilla

No special tools other than what you already own. You want deer BODY hair. Make sure you get body hair and not belly hair. It won't spin the same as body hair. In my opinion the longer strips (the actual hide portion) work better. The smaller hides I have used tend to curl and are more difficult to manage. As for stacking get yourself a ball pen and take the tip section the writing portion comes out of and use it to push the hair back on itself to compress the hair to be able to spin more hair on to get it as dense as possible.

Also razor blades are involved. I don't have any, but i need to. The flexible two sided ones.

Last edited by sexycarpenter; 07/23/11 05:52 PM.
Re: Deer hair help [Re: sexycarpenter] #6432679 07/23/11 05:55 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
The razor blade really cleans up the hair better than scissors. I don't have life insurance so I try not to risk my fingers. For they are what provide me my income. But bass bug has insurance so he can do things like this:
Deer hair with the blade

Re: Deer hair help [Re: sexycarpenter] #6432702 07/23/11 06:02 PM
T
Txredraider Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
If you really want to shorten your learning curve, get a DVD of Chris Helm's tutorials. One of the things he stresses is that, while packing is important, it's more about how much hair do you spin at one time. If I remember correctly, he usually spins what he refers to as the thickness of four pencils. That's a lot of hair and, if you think about it, it all centers around your thread at that one spot on the hook.

The big truth about deerhair bugs is that it takes practice, practice, practice. To me the difficulty isn't as much about the spinning as it is handling the hair before it ever touches the hook. Mr. Helm also does a great job describing how to not lose control of the hair.

I think this is the video I'm thinking of:
http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Fly-Tying-Spinning-Deer/dp/B0002F6ANO

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.
Re: Deer hair help [Re: sexycarpenter] #6432705 07/23/11 06:06 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: sexycarpenter
Originally Posted By: coryscrilla

No special tools other than what you already own. You want deer BODY hair. Make sure you get body hair and not belly hair. It won't spin the same as body hair. In my opinion the longer strips (the actual hide portion) work better. The smaller hides I have used tend to curl and are more difficult to manage. As for stacking get yourself a ball pen and take the tip section the writing portion comes out of and use it to push the hair back on itself to compress the hair to be able to spin more hair on to get it as dense as possible.

Also razor blades are involved. I don't have any, but i need to. The flexible two sided ones.

nothing wrong with belly hair, yea its a little shorter some times but it has the best colors and it will spin okay, I use GSP thread & a "brassie" hair packer (better than an ink pen cause it packs the thread instead of the hair...and packing is number one key, get as much der hair as you can on the hook and then some more compress, compress, compress, spin, compress, compress, compress, spin,etc..scissors work good far away from the hook shank (ie; the center) but as you get closer the hair is denser and a razor blade works much better. There are some good videos out there on the subject & some good books as well, it takes time & practice, some folks like stacking the hair, I do best spinning so I guess thats a personal thing...you probably can get more hair on there by stacking but nuthin wrong with spinning either.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide