Forums59
Topics1,039,619
Posts13,967,664
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality #2601275 08/31/08 10:22 AM
9874opf Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I watched WFN this morning and they were talking about lifting a large fish using a Bogagrip and mortally injuring a fish if you lift it by the jaw only(they recommend you lift the fish by the jaw and tail or cradle the fish.) So I did some research on it and found this--although it doesn't address that issue it does address the thoughts on deep hooked fish and hook selection. Some might not care about injuring/killing released fish but I do so I thought I would pass on the info.

http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: 9874opf] #2601549 08/31/08 12:01 PM
Frank I Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Saw a show that suggests that netting a fish adds to the mortality rate. Seems the less it's handled the higher the surrvival rate.

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
You guys know everything..... I'm just an idiot....no problem........

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: Frank I] #2601632 08/31/08 12:47 PM
S
sandjohnny Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
It is unbeliveable what I see at the lakes the way people handle fish. If you are going to release the fish the best you can do is never touch or as little as possible. It will sure increase their chances of survial.
Johnny

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com 8174441286 or 8175976598
Creator of OLE UGLY SLABS johnlu1313@gmail.com
[Linked Image]
OLE UGLY SLABS GO TO www.johnnysguideservice.com
Fish with the Guy who invented the OLE UGLY slab
Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: sandjohnny] #2602028 08/31/08 04:10 PM
T
TheRodFather Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I couldn't agree with you more ensign....boga grips do a number on big fish's lower jaw and throat...I know that on many Florida forums i frequent a lot of hate mail is issued to someone with a picture of a big red or snook hanging by its lower jaw... we need to protect our trophy class fish...the bass guys do...one should wet there hands whenever touching a fish as not to remove its protective slime coating and handle a fish as little as possible...and avoid using a net on fish that are going to be released unless the net is of sufficient size...unfortunately ignorance of fishermen is the biggest problem for the ever growing sport of fishing.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: TheRodFather] #2602042 08/31/08 04:14 PM
X
XYZ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
X
Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
It is unbeliveable what I see at the lakes the way people handle fish. If you are going to release the fish the best you can do is never touch or as little as possible. It will sure increase their chances of survial.
Johnny

I think the carping group has a CAR realse guide line on how to release carp.

Originally Posted By: Trevor Hardie
I couldn't agree with you more ensign....boga grips do a number on big fish's lower jaw and throat...I know that on many Florida forums i frequent a lot of hate mail is issued to someone with a picture of a big red or snook hanging by its lower jaw... we need to protect our trophy class fish...the bass guys do...one should wet there hands whenever touching a fish as not to remove its protective slime coating and handle a fish as little as possible...and avoid using a net on fish that are going to be released unless the net is of sufficient size...unfortunately ignorance of fishermen is the biggest problem for the ever growing sport of fishing.

If i have to work that hard to fish I will take up golf or Jai-Alai instead.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: XYZ] #2602224 08/31/08 05:41 PM
M
Mexntex Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: XYZ
Johnny

cheers I'll drink to that!! I would suggest Jai-Alai.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: XYZ] #2602684 08/31/08 10:01 PM
T
TheRodFather Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: XYZ
Johnny

I guess I just care a little more about the resource...if you think that is hard work I'm scared for you.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: TheRodFather] #2603091 09/01/08 12:35 AM
V
Vaughn Coomer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
Let's face it guys, no matter how you do something there's always going to be some expert of the hour trying to tell you to do it his way. Do what's legal, feels right to you, and have fun.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: Vaughn Coomer] #2603096 09/01/08 12:37 AM
X
XYZ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
X
Originally Posted By: Vaughn
Let's face it guys, no matter how you do something there's always going to be some expert of the hour trying to tell you to do it his way. Do what's legal, feels right to you, and have fun.

thumb You got that right Vaughn

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: Vaughn Coomer] #2603459 09/01/08 10:02 AM
MrG Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Vaughn
thumbFurther down in the link it actually states that using a Boga is a preferred landing method compared to netting. noidea

Chief net thrower for Team Sharc Bait
2011 TSA Team of the Year.
Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: MrG] #2603510 09/01/08 10:24 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
If this C&R is aimed at Fairfield another thing to consider is release the fish into deeper water and not in growth or hydrilla. I do release a good many reds and I believe more than 95% swim off, you will always have few that are deep hooked. A large percentage of the deep hooked fish are those caught on very small bait, shrimp is one of the worst. They hit the bait going about 30 MPH and swallow it on the fly. I'm sure the mortality rate is much higher in a hot water lake than their natural habitat. The bigger fish fight so hard and release some kind of acid into their body that some do not make it. I blame a lot of this on people who are fishing with light line or equipment(rod&reel) that is far inferior to the fish they are targeting. The sooner a big red is landed and released the better chance it has of surviving.
This is just my opinion based on about twenty years of fishing Fairfield for reds.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #2603896 09/01/08 01:04 PM
9874opf Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Good point JB- the small baits definately make the chance of them swallowing it easier. Down on the coast keith ans I use fairly heavy gear and catch monster reds but even with the heavy gear you have to fight them a while just due to their size and the current-even with circle hooks - some just don't make it-they look fine but really did fight until they were dead.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: 9874opf] #2605334 09/01/08 10:15 PM
T
tarpon1215 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
We all owe it to the fish to handle them as responsibly as possible. We are catch and release guys. We remove barbs, modify hooks, and do everything possible to let every fish we catch live to fight another day. I do not begrudge a guy who wants to take home a few fish for the family or friends as long as they are utilized properly. Those of you who fish these urban lakes should know better than anyone that fish stocks are finite and that conservation means better fishing for all of us both today and tomorrow. If we want our kids and grandkids to have fish to catch then we bertter think about what we are doing today.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: tarpon1215] #2606354 09/02/08 10:57 AM
M
Miss Manners Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I catch and release most of the fish I catch (unless I am going to eat them). Never heard that the a boga grip ingured fish? Hum? I would have thought netting it would have been worse, since fish becoming tangled or scraping the sides...hum...Is it where you use the boga grip that's the problem? Is there a safe way to grip them? I bought a boga grip to make it easier on the fish...as I fish with barbless hooks which makes releasing better...I always try and make sure to resuscitate a fish that looks stressed out before release by guiding it threw the water and getting the gills pumping the water threw the fish...but only if needed. As I feel its important to return a fish promply after capture. Most of the fish I lift with the boa grip has been done on the side of the mouth and have never had one bleed or act sluggist upon releases.
so what is the best way, netting? live and learn...

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality [Re: Miss Manners] #2606395 09/02/08 11:18 AM
BigMack Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
MM, The way I read the article, it says the boga grip is a good thing. (#5-Landing Technique)
Then why don't I see hundreds of dead bass or sandies floating after a big tournament on the lakes? I do see an occational catfish belly up but the birds make short work of that. We pulled a hugy crappie out that was floating in RayBob last year that had a bluegill stuck in his mouth. Crappie was a goner but that little bluegill jumped out(once we pulled him out) and swam away. I do find hooks (and very odd things) sometimes during the autopsys.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide