Texas Fishing Forum

Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality

Posted By: 9874opf

Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 10:22 AM

I watched WFN this morning and they were talking about lifting a large fish using a Bogagrip and mortally injuring a fish if you lift it by the jaw only(they recommend you lift the fish by the jaw and tail or cradle the fish.) So I did some research on it and found this--although it doesn't address that issue it does address the thoughts on deep hooked fish and hook selection. Some might not care about injuring/killing released fish but I do so I thought I would pass on the info.

http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html
Posted By: Frank I

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 12:01 PM

Saw a show that suggests that netting a fish adds to the mortality rate. Seems the less it's handled the higher the surrvival rate.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 12:47 PM

It is unbeliveable what I see at the lakes the way people handle fish. If you are going to release the fish the best you can do is never touch or as little as possible. It will sure increase their chances of survial.
Johnny
Posted By: TheRodFather

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 04:10 PM

I couldn't agree with you more ensign....boga grips do a number on big fish's lower jaw and throat...I know that on many Florida forums i frequent a lot of hate mail is issued to someone with a picture of a big red or snook hanging by its lower jaw... we need to protect our trophy class fish...the bass guys do...one should wet there hands whenever touching a fish as not to remove its protective slime coating and handle a fish as little as possible...and avoid using a net on fish that are going to be released unless the net is of sufficient size...unfortunately ignorance of fishermen is the biggest problem for the ever growing sport of fishing.
Posted By: XYZ

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
It is unbeliveable what I see at the lakes the way people handle fish. If you are going to release the fish the best you can do is never touch or as little as possible. It will sure increase their chances of survial.
Johnny

I think the carping group has a CAR realse guide line on how to release carp.

Originally Posted By: Trevor Hardie
I couldn't agree with you more ensign....boga grips do a number on big fish's lower jaw and throat...I know that on many Florida forums i frequent a lot of hate mail is issued to someone with a picture of a big red or snook hanging by its lower jaw... we need to protect our trophy class fish...the bass guys do...one should wet there hands whenever touching a fish as not to remove its protective slime coating and handle a fish as little as possible...and avoid using a net on fish that are going to be released unless the net is of sufficient size...unfortunately ignorance of fishermen is the biggest problem for the ever growing sport of fishing.

If i have to work that hard to fish I will take up golf or Jai-Alai instead.
Posted By: Mexntex

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: XYZ
Johnny

cheers I'll drink to that!! I would suggest Jai-Alai.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 08/31/08 10:01 PM

Johnny

I guess I just care a little more about the resource...if you think that is hard work I'm scared for you.
Posted By: Vaughn Coomer

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 12:35 AM

Let's face it guys, no matter how you do something there's always going to be some expert of the hour trying to tell you to do it his way. Do what's legal, feels right to you, and have fun.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Vaughn
Let's face it guys, no matter how you do something there's always going to be some expert of the hour trying to tell you to do it his way. Do what's legal, feels right to you, and have fun.

thumb You got that right Vaughn
Posted By: MrG

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Vaughn
thumbFurther down in the link it actually states that using a Boga is a preferred landing method compared to netting. noidea
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 10:24 AM

If this C&R is aimed at Fairfield another thing to consider is release the fish into deeper water and not in growth or hydrilla. I do release a good many reds and I believe more than 95% swim off, you will always have few that are deep hooked. A large percentage of the deep hooked fish are those caught on very small bait, shrimp is one of the worst. They hit the bait going about 30 MPH and swallow it on the fly. I'm sure the mortality rate is much higher in a hot water lake than their natural habitat. The bigger fish fight so hard and release some kind of acid into their body that some do not make it. I blame a lot of this on people who are fishing with light line or equipment(rod&reel) that is far inferior to the fish they are targeting. The sooner a big red is landed and released the better chance it has of surviving.
This is just my opinion based on about twenty years of fishing Fairfield for reds.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 01:04 PM

Good point JB- the small baits definately make the chance of them swallowing it easier. Down on the coast keith ans I use fairly heavy gear and catch monster reds but even with the heavy gear you have to fight them a while just due to their size and the current-even with circle hooks - some just don't make it-they look fine but really did fight until they were dead.
Posted By: tarpon1215

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/01/08 10:15 PM

We all owe it to the fish to handle them as responsibly as possible. We are catch and release guys. We remove barbs, modify hooks, and do everything possible to let every fish we catch live to fight another day. I do not begrudge a guy who wants to take home a few fish for the family or friends as long as they are utilized properly. Those of you who fish these urban lakes should know better than anyone that fish stocks are finite and that conservation means better fishing for all of us both today and tomorrow. If we want our kids and grandkids to have fish to catch then we bertter think about what we are doing today.
Posted By: Miss Manners

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 10:57 AM

I catch and release most of the fish I catch (unless I am going to eat them). Never heard that the a boga grip ingured fish? Hum? I would have thought netting it would have been worse, since fish becoming tangled or scraping the sides...hum...Is it where you use the boga grip that's the problem? Is there a safe way to grip them? I bought a boga grip to make it easier on the fish...as I fish with barbless hooks which makes releasing better...I always try and make sure to resuscitate a fish that looks stressed out before release by guiding it threw the water and getting the gills pumping the water threw the fish...but only if needed. As I feel its important to return a fish promply after capture. Most of the fish I lift with the boa grip has been done on the side of the mouth and have never had one bleed or act sluggist upon releases.
so what is the best way, netting? live and learn...
Posted By: BigMack

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 11:18 AM

MM, The way I read the article, it says the boga grip is a good thing. (#5-Landing Technique)
Then why don't I see hundreds of dead bass or sandies floating after a big tournament on the lakes? I do see an occational catfish belly up but the birds make short work of that. We pulled a hugy crappie out that was floating in RayBob last year that had a bluegill stuck in his mouth. Crappie was a goner but that little bluegill jumped out(once we pulled him out) and swam away. I do find hooks (and very odd things) sometimes during the autopsys.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 12:52 PM

I think it was Amistad that I heard about--after a bass tournament there they had over 500 dead LMB floating in the lake.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ensignjason
I think it was Amistad that I heard about--after a bass tournament there they had over 500 dead LMB floating in the lake.

That was at Falcon this past year... The folks of Laredo and Zapata are furious over that and it is a shame that it is getting all that attention. One of Texas' best kept secrets is out and it will become the new Lake Fork in no time. I grew up fishing that lake and I understand why folks get protective of their fishing areas.

Falcon Fish Kill

Miss Manners as for the Boga a game biologist told me it is the same for a fish as it would be to a human to be hoisted from your jaw.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 01:11 PM

I've been watching alot of WFN lately and the saltwater guys recommend using a boga grip to control the fish but then using a hand under the belly(just make sure you get it wet first) of the fish or grabbing the tail to hoist the fish on board. Wetting your hand helps to keep the slime coat on the fish. Just trying to pass on info--this is not intended to be directed at anyone in particular.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 01:17 PM

Jason you would never direct anything towards anyone... Come on man you are not like that.

So you mean to say I should not longer club fish with a 6 D-cell Mag-Lite to get them to lie still when I am removeing the hook?
Posted By: fisherman dan

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 01:42 PM

I personnaly talk to them until fall silent, this I learned from my wife. Then i remove the hook while there still in the water. takes more time, and i tend to run out of things to say smile
Really, I never thought about it. I lip them and release. never saw a floater yet.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 01:48 PM

I think that if there were 500 dead bass it would be from some reason other than tournament bycatch...maybe the Mexicans are polluting their own fishing hole?

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 02:17 PM

I think that if there were 500 dead bass it would be from some reason other than tournament bycatch...maybe the Mexicans are polluting their own fishing hole?

Oh my God this guy figured it out... We need to nominate him for a Nobel Peace Prize up there with Al Gore.
Posted By: Bigblue or Gaspergoo

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 03:03 PM

Yeah that must be it , the Mexicans are doing it!!! Or maybe it's just all the careless fisherman running amuck doing as they please and don't take good care of the quality fisheries that we have been given.. Get a clue!
Posted By: BigMack

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 03:15 PM

Oh my God this guy figured it out... We need to nominate him for a Nobel Peace Prize up there with Al Gore.

laugh banana rolfmao clap boxing
popcorn This is getting good. Maybe we need a fence around the lake too. de
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 03:22 PM

The Bass guys are addressing it, you can see that over in the LMB section. They are always looking for better ways to hold livewell fish.

If I know the fish is going back in the water, we get a pic and get it back in the water quick.

It boils down to the fact that a hard fight, lactic acid buildup and warm water equal high mortality for fish. I really see this with BIG Hybrids.

When the water cools down they can fight hard but swim away ok, wore out, but they seem to recover.

Mexicans causing the kill? Come on...
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 03:30 PM

eeks popcorn popcorn2 bolt
Posted By: Hydra Sport

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 04:12 PM

there is a study that the Arkansas game & fish commission did several years back that talks about the catch and release and handling of striped & hybrid bass. The Mortality rates are also discussed. It is a great article. go to: www.agfc.com/ and go to the lake quachita management plan download. Just a thought, If anyone is interested. Clete
Posted By: BogaGripUser

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/02/08 09:27 PM

i didnt know they had stripers in arkansas? who gives them the money to buy the fish?

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/03/08 10:15 AM

okay, guys, I have heard all the wrong ways. but now which is the "right" way to lift a fish....A boga and a wet hand behind the fish than lift? I think it has to do with the way you lift them up. Slow and steady, not hard a heavy fast jerk! I wouldn't want to be lifted by my jaw...SO how DO you DO this??? I have used a net and that seems to make the fish more stressed??what kind of net do you use? I have never had a big fish go belly up, as I do take care to see how its doing before I return it to the water...

I think all the dead fish was caused by folks that didn't take any care about removing a fish from the water or how they removed a barbed hook...which in my years of fishing seems to be the worse killer of fish. and that does happen, but not to often and even swallowed hooks can be removed with care and a steady hand.And if a fish isn't going to make it very long put it in the live well and bring it home and eat it! (that's if it is a legal fish) WHAT IS the best way...????
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/03/08 10:27 AM

Using the treble hook is the worst thing we can do! And you guys are worried about netting fish?? You should alway cut 1 of the hooks off a treble hook(double hook)this will cut down at least half the fish you hurt.

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/04/08 11:29 AM

wow guys,some of you turn some of the learning on this sight into a joke. I love humor, really and some of you are very witty and some are just a bore! But some folks really care about nature and fish and the environment and a lot of newbies and old experienced folks have learned many valuable lessons here on this sight. I know, I have! But if there is a better way, I'd like to hear it. no one is forcing you to change your ways, just trying to educate you...what you do with the info is up to you. Fishing is one of my passions..I rarely take photo's of fish as this can caused added stress..my choice..I am not saying I am more rightous, not at all...but I want that big fish to live so someone else can have that joy...and the big ones to ME deserve a release. Like one of you said,have fun do what you feel is right...If your thinking about your actions you usually do the right thing. not trying to hurt any one feelings...as I know some of you are so sensitive. Fishing is so much fun...I love it! And you do too or you wouldn't write in...
Posted By: Shake&Bake21

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/04/08 12:16 PM

I have always heard that if a fish is hooked deep the best thing to do is remove the lure and he hook will eveuntually disenegrate. Is this true? I really hate it when they get it just right I always feel in the back of my mind that the fish is not going to make it. I def. know that almost everytime that I have retrieved the hook the fish didn't make it. Just curious on your thoughts of leaving the hook there.
Thanks
Posted By: Vaughn Coomer

Re: Catch and Release Fishing Effectiveness and Mortality - 09/04/08 08:29 PM

Read this from TP&W click me
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum