Forums59
Topics1,039,957
Posts13,973,221
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: grandbassslayer] #15043646 04/11/24 04:35 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
He must not be really fed up... Just whining... This happens in every office, on every jobsite... Guys get together around a water cooler, coffee pot and bitch about how bad they have it. But no one has the guts to act... Watson was fed up and acted, all the other on the BPT just sat back and kicked rocks while looking down, shoulders slumped. Why didn't he join Watson???... Until you/ he puts a name to a face this is nothing more than gossip... I know a couple of guys...

And as far as bass fishing as a career... There are a hundred professions who are on the road more, see their family less... Some make more money, some make less... I spent an average of 250 nights a year in a hotel room, for 25+years, worked a lot of 7 day weeks, a lot of holidays, including Christmas... Power Plants run 24/7/365, and someone had to be there... So touring pros get no sympathy from me when they whine about how hard it is... Dan

What’s ironic is Boyd Duckett had the guts to do the very thing you suggested and he gets vilified for it.

I think you are leaving a lot out on why BD gets so much push back and is not as well liked by some fans.

That’s the water cooler talk- everyone knows better than the boss, etc. I’m sure he is guilty of a lot but the overall resentment and anger directed at him is the fact they started another league and that’s viewed as some sort of betrayal to BASS by some folks.

It's not just people thinking they know better than him how to run a company. He has had incidents and interactions with some people that made those people feel tge way they do about it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #15043668 04/11/24 04:48 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
A few are gathering their riches off MLF that all were promised, the rest are still scoping and hoping. The "olds" of MLF kind of ponzi schemed all the others they tricked into leaving BASS.

A core group of "angler/owners" have done pretty well and that is why they are cutting the field. They cut the field so they can still get their bottom line profits. It's a smart business move if you are in business to turn a profit.

#MFGA
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #15043764 04/11/24 06:11 PM
S
Strugglebus Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Why else would you be in business other than to turn a profit? who_knows

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: grandbassslayer] #15043852 04/11/24 07:35 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
... That’s the water cooler talk- everyone knows better than the boss, etc. I’m sure he is guilty of a lot but the overall resentment and anger directed at him is the fact they started another league and that’s viewed as some sort of betrayal to BASS by some folks.

I'm talking about Watson sticking his neck out and no one following... Normally it's the one guy who says this is what I'm gonna do and other back him up... That's exactly what BD and Klein did... And they got a bunch of the BASS guys to follow them... So if it's soooo bad why didn't others back Watson???... If your buddy and others are so down and out why didn't they follow Watson's lead and force BD into either suspending all of them or listening???... It was a heck of a lot easier for BD to kick one guy to the curb, not so easy when it's 10-15... They all laid down with BD, now they have to deal with the fleas... No sympathy from me... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Douglas J] #15043946 04/11/24 09:46 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Pro fisherman are cool, but have a kind of suck job being gone all that time from their loved ones and having to pay to go to work.

It looks appealing, but knowing a few that have done it and do it today, it's not all fun and games.

For sure, couldn't believe how bad the alcoholism is on tour

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: grandbassslayer] #15043950 04/11/24 09:52 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Used2fish
BPT will seize to exist within a few years in its current form. They’ll combine the invitationals and the current bpt into one and you’ll have the old flw. Which was in such bad shape the owner killed himself.

FBD.

You really think Irwin killed himself and his wife over a fishing league? Cmon man..🤷‍♂️

Yeah, FLW had nothing to do with that, FLW was small potatoes compared to the portfolio that guy had

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: SC-001] #15043961 04/11/24 10:11 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by SC-001
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Pro fisherman are cool, but have a kind of suck job being gone all that time from their loved ones and having to pay to go to work.

It looks appealing, but knowing a few that have done it and do it today, it's not all fun and games.

For sure, couldn't believe how bad the alcoholism is on tour

Any job with lots of travel. Look at salesman- they spend every freaking night at the hotel bar, company picks up the tab but still…

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dan21XRS] #15043992 04/11/24 11:05 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
... That’s the water cooler talk- everyone knows better than the boss, etc. I’m sure he is guilty of a lot but the overall resentment and anger directed at him is the fact they started another league and that’s viewed as some sort of betrayal to BASS by some folks.

I'm talking about Watson sticking his neck out and no one following... Normally it's the one guy who says this is what I'm gonna do and other back him up... That's exactly what BD and Klein did... And they got a bunch of the BASS guys to follow them... So if it's soooo bad why didn't others back Watson???... If your buddy and others are so down and out why didn't they follow Watson's lead and force BD into either suspending all of them or listening???... It was a heck of a lot easier for BD to kick one guy to the curb, not so easy when it's 10-15... They all laid down with BD, now they have to deal with the fleas... No sympathy from me... Dan

Watson can afford to kickedout. others can't.

If 10-15 stood up and said they were leaving, that would take pressure off of Boyd, just less anglers to cut after the season. Like Watson always said these leagues are like crack, there is always someone in line waiting to pay money.

I've been doing a good bit of driving for work and listen mostly to fishing podcasts, it is quite evident most are not happy but several have come out and stated they are scared to comment. Watson didn't depend on fishing to put groceries on the table, most of these guys do depend on fishing and their sponsors. Its a lot easier to remain qualified for the top circuits than to start from the bottom and requalify.

Watson also brought up a question on Dunkin's latest podcast that I don't know the answer to. Everyone refers to Boyd as a great Business man. But is he great at running a business? Or did he make good investments into businesses run by other people?

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: CCTX] #15043994 04/11/24 11:07 PM
M
Monty Wright Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by CCTX
He had a good formula for success.
He (and the other owners) got greedy and screwed it up by cutting corners and expanding in the wrong areas from the very beginning
Then changing formats, rules, regulations, criteria, wild inconsistency of rulings.
.....add his personality/character into the mix and there you have it.

This is more my line of thinking. I was a fan until the wild inconsistencies of rulings, sweeping this and that under the rug, punishing this person, but not that. The last straw, for me was Watson.

I think Jody does a great job on the articles, love the Top 10 baits & patterns, but I've just stopped following it all. Unfollowed all of their social media, unsubscribed from their emails, canceled our My OutdoorTV subscription, stuff like that.

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: sprigsss] #15043995 04/11/24 11:08 PM
M
Monty Wright Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by sprigsss

Watson can afford to kickedout. others can't.

If 10-15 stood up and said they were leaving, that would take pressure off of Boyd, just less anglers to cut after the season. Like Watson always said these leagues are like crack, there is always someone in line waiting to pay money.

I've been doing a good bit of driving for work and listen mostly to fishing podcasts, it is quite evident most are not happy but several have come out and stated they are scared to comment. Watson didn't depend on fishing to put groceries on the table, most of these guys do depend on fishing and their sponsors. Its a lot easier to remain qualified for the top circuits than to start from the bottom and requalify.

Watson also brought up a question on Dunkin's latest podcast that I don't know the answer to. Everyone refers to Boyd as a great Business man. But is he great at running a business? Or did he make good investments into businesses run by other people?

I caught that part too & it makes you think confused 3

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #15044107 04/12/24 01:37 AM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Anyone know what the sale price for FLW and it's assets were???... Is it safe to say BD put up most of the cash to purchase it???... If he didn't he was probably a main investor or the point man to get others to invest... Now put yourself in his shoes... Would you step back and let someone else guide the ship???... I'd say the majority would say "hell no" it's mine and it's either going to succeed or it's going down with me at the wheel... So saying BD should step aside is useless, fruitless and unrealistic... It is what it is, either adjust and swallow your pride or jump ship... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dan21XRS] #15044167 04/12/24 03:07 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Anyone know what the sale price for FLW and it's assets were???... Is it safe to say BD put up most of the cash to purchase it???... If he didn't he was probably a main investor or the point man to get others to invest... Now put yourself in his shoes... Would you step back and let someone else guide the ship???... I'd say the majority would say "hell no" it's mine and it's either going to succeed or it's going down with me at the wheel... So saying BD should step aside is useless, fruitless and unrealistic... It is what it is, either adjust and swallow your pride or jump ship... Dan

Jim Wilburn is the money behind MLF

#MFGA
Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #15044209 04/12/24 04:21 AM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Mike mcclelland owns a share of MLF, look what he’s doing, trying to get back to the elites because…

A. He fishes 5 fish events better.
B. Bass is better than MLF

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: nfhbass] #15044287 04/12/24 12:35 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by nfhbass
Mike mcclelland owns a share of MLF, look what he’s doing, trying to get back to the elites because…

He is in 76th place in the opens so he isn’t fishing for 5 fish any better than he was fishing under the mlf format…

Re: Just got off the phone with a buddy in the BFL... [Re: grandbassslayer] #15044303 04/12/24 12:57 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by nfhbass

He is in 76th place in the opens so he isn’t fishing for 5 fish any better than he was fishing under the mlf format…

But he is still a MLF owner that was offered a spot to stay/return to the BPT but is choosing to fish another league.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide