Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: JCG57] #12867486 08/17/18 04:10 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JCG57
The benefits rep was correct in pointing out your workplace safety violation. Having said that, you must take immediate action to tamp down HR intrusion, or it will only get far, far worse. I suggest stealing one of her tires and leave the car resting on the chair. The HR department must be contained or chaos will ensue.

This is truly the only way to end this overreach.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: VIP Fishing] #12867492 08/17/18 04:20 PM
Ghost4BH Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: VIP Fishing
Please dont take offense to this. I have questions....

You are a conductor, correct? You are the guys who moves his arms and hands around while the band plays? I was just talking about this to a group of people and we were all asking....what are you doing? Why are you there? Then we asked each other....without said conductor, can the band play?

So when you had to get off the chair and the band couldnt see you......was the show over? Was the band still able to perform when they couldnt see you?

Im not downplaying what you do or the purpose of a conductor, I just cant figure it out. Ive never been in a choir, band so I just dont know. Educate me.

Im no band or orchestra expert but I believe the job of the conductor is to tell which sections/instruments to play louder, quieter, faster, slower, etc. for the best sound quality and performance.

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867788 08/17/18 08:31 PM
Dognot Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Borrow this from drunk Steve.

Sometimes what didn't work out for you, did in fact, work out for you.

Haters going to hate and believers are going to believe.

Every man has two lives,The second one starts when he realizes that he has only one.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867817 08/17/18 09:14 PM
N
nethingthatbites Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N

MAGA
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Dognot] #12867880 08/17/18 10:29 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Dognot

Dang that was funny!

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: VIP Fishing] #12867911 08/17/18 10:56 PM
Jacob Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

You are a conductor, correct? You are the guys who moves his arms and hands around while the band plays? I was just talking about this to a group of people and we were all asking....what are you doing? Why are you there? Then we asked each other....without said conductor, can the band play?

So when you had to get off the chair and the band couldnt see you......was the show over? Was the band still able to perform when they couldnt see you?

Im not downplaying what you do or the purpose of a conductor, I just cant figure it out. Ive never been in a choir, band so I just dont know. Educate me.

Keep tempo, cue, adjust dynamics/style, cutoff, show band when to breathe together. Next time you watch a conductor, watch very closely. Imagine an invisible ball floating in the air just in front of their sternum. That is called the ictus. It is where the beat happens. A good director hits the same spot in the air every time to give the band a consistent place to visually see where the beat is. No matter how fast/slow you go, the ictus stays constant. The director also shows the band WHICH beat they are on. In 4/4 time there are 4 beats per measure. In 3/4 there are 3 beats per measure and so on. Each time signature has a specific pattern which tells the band where in the measure they are. Think- Down, Right, left, up or in college we say Floor, door, window, ceiling. This is imortant so if anyone gets lost, they can find where beat 1 is the next measure and get back on.

By being at ground level instead of above the band, my ictus has to shift waaaay up near head level because my hands had to be high enough for them to see. This doesnt seem like a big deal to anyone watching, but it really rattles the kids when theyve seen it one way in rehearsal a hundred times and now in a performance, everything looks totally different (or they cant see you at all).

Last edited by Jacob; 08/17/18 11:00 PM.

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Dognot] #12867920 08/17/18 11:02 PM
Jacob Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Dognot

We actually used one of those for years until they agreed to build us a tower. It beeps at you when the wind blows hard and it thinks its gonna tip over. eeks

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867929 08/17/18 11:11 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted By: Jacob
So the band was asked to play at the district teacher convocation today. We were on the gym floor, so the band just stood like we always do to play. I was standing on a chair directing, so the band could see me, when a lady from our benefits department walks up to me across the gym floor and tells me that Im not allowed to stand on a chair because its a workers comp liability. Made me do the rest of the performance from the ground where the kids couldnt see me. Mind you, we have 214 kids in our band. They dont seem to have a problem when we are trying to balance on a stadium bench though.

You should have pointed your finger at her and sternly shouted " No pickles for you" That would have learnt her.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867938 08/17/18 11:16 PM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
Jaap van Zweden has nothing on you. You sir are Texas #1 Maestro.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867965 08/17/18 11:39 PM
V
VIP Fishing Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
V
Originally Posted By: Jacob

Keep tempo, cue, adjust dynamics/style, cutoff, show band when to breathe together. Next time you watch a conductor, watch very closely. Imagine an invisible ball floating in the air just in front of their sternum. That is called the ictus. It is where the beat happens. A good director hits the same spot in the air every time to give the band a consistent place to visually see where the beat is. No matter how fast/slow you go, the ictus stays constant. The director also shows the band WHICH beat they are on. In 4/4 time there are 4 beats per measure. In 3/4 there are 3 beats per measure and so on. Each time signature has a specific pattern which tells the band where in the measure they are. Think- Down, Right, left, up or in college we say Floor, door, window, ceiling. This is imortant so if anyone gets lost, they can find where beat 1 is the next measure and get back on.

By being at ground level instead of above the band, my ictus has to shift waaaay up near head level because my hands had to be high enough for them to see. This doesnt seem like a big deal to anyone watching, but it really rattles the kids when theyve seen it one way in rehearsal a hundred times and now in a performance, everything looks totally different (or they cant see you at all).

Okay! I'll look for it next time. Thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted by Derek
I do enjoy a good Squirt now and then.
Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12867971 08/17/18 11:46 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
My ictus itches

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: Jacob] #12868006 08/18/18 12:17 AM
D
DJB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Someone turning you in for standing on a chair should be the least of your worries .My best friend Who has worked at the same school for 10 years just lost his job and reputation from accusations from a student. No proof just accusations. I would never work in a school system, especially in a small town .

Re: Im a workers comp liability [Re: VIP Fishing] #12868428 08/18/18 02:42 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O

It is quite simple, His wizard wand makes the music, with it, he controls the people in the band.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide