Texas Fishing Forum

Im a workers comp liability

Posted By: Jacob

Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 02:42 AM

So the band was asked to play at the district teacher convocation today. We were on the gym floor, so the band just stood like we always do to play. I was standing on a chair directing, so the band could see me, when a lady from our benefits department walks up to me across the gym floor and tells me that Im not allowed to stand on a chair because its a workers comp liability. Made me do the rest of the performance from the ground where the kids couldnt see me. Mind you, we have 214 kids in our band. They dont seem to have a problem when we are trying to balance on a stadium bench though.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 02:47 AM

you should have smacked her with your wizard wand.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:02 AM

Get one of those ladder platform things, we're not allowed to stand on chairs either in our workplace.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
Get one of those ladder platform things, we're not allowed to stand on chairs either in our workplace.

Yep.
Got to get a platform.
Standing on a chair is a no no.
That lady should have complained to the principal. bolt
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Icepick

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
you should have smacked her with your wizard wand.

This.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Sawhorse

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.

That too.
We can't have band directors playing fast and loose with the rules.
It could lead to chaos.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:43 AM

I got a milk crate you can have.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:58 AM

Learn to walk on stilts, that'll show em who's boss!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:16 AM

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.

Should have been a citizens arrest.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:17 AM

She came up to you while you were directing? Amid a music piece?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:20 AM

Get you a set of these to stand tall with!!

https://www.digilegs.com/
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:30 AM

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.

Or called OSHA . . . . .
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:38 AM

I wouldve fell on purpose getting off the chair then blamed her
Posted By: Cast

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:31 AM

Thats going on your permanent record young man!
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:39 AM

I'd love to play in that band.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:43 AM

That is a OSHA violation, you would be removed from our job site!
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.

Or called OSHA . . . . .

D-Hall
Posted By: donothin

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 12:25 PM

Band director is trying to shift the blame for doing something that he should have known not to do.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 01:28 PM

You should get the guys in metal shop to make you a portable riser that looks just like a chair for these occasions.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 01:36 PM

You should have cried and told her it was your safe place.And she was being mean to you.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

Yep.
Got to get a platform.

Or called the police.

Or called OSHA . . . . .

Does 'Stand Your Ground' rules apply here?
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 01:44 PM

Reminded me of Roy D. Mercer, the Bleeder of the Band.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 01:48 PM

You need to make your band play protest songs like We not going to take it anymore (Twisted Sister) from Twisted Sister at the first football game. You will need to be standing on a chair on the 50 yard line directing them though.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 02:16 PM

popcorn peep

Posted By: barndoor

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: donothin
Band director is trying to shift the blame for doing something that he should have known not to do.

Yep
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 02:31 PM

Please dont take offense to this. I have questions....

You are a conductor, correct? You are the guys who moves his arms and hands around while the band plays? I was just talking about this to a group of people and we were all asking....what are you doing? Why are you there? Then we asked each other....without said conductor, can the band play?

So when you had to get off the chair and the band couldnt see you......was the show over? Was the band still able to perform when they couldnt see you?

Im not downplaying what you do or the purpose of a conductor, I just cant figure it out. Ive never been in a choir, band so I just dont know. Educate me.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:22 PM

They keep the tempo among other things.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 03:31 PM

The benefits rep was correct in pointing out your workplace safety violation. Having said that, you must take immediate action to tamp down HR intrusion, or it will only get far, far worse. I suggest stealing one of her tires and leave the car resting on the chair. The HR department must be contained or chaos will ensue.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:06 PM

For the next performance you should show up with a huge riser that can elevate you to the ceiling and spins 360 degrees in all directions just like Tommy Lee's drum kit.

It would be awesome!
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JCG57
The benefits rep was correct in pointing out your workplace safety violation. Having said that, you must take immediate action to tamp down HR intrusion, or it will only get far, far worse. I suggest stealing one of her tires and leave the car resting on the chair. The HR department must be contained or chaos will ensue.

This is truly the only way to end this overreach.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: VIP Fishing

You are a conductor, correct? You are the guys who moves his arms and hands around while the band plays? I was just talking about this to a group of people and we were all asking....what are you doing? Why are you there? Then we asked each other....without said conductor, can the band play?

So when you had to get off the chair and the band couldnt see you......was the show over? Was the band still able to perform when they couldnt see you?

Im not downplaying what you do or the purpose of a conductor, I just cant figure it out. Ive never been in a choir, band so I just dont know. Educate me.

Im no band or orchestra expert but I believe the job of the conductor is to tell which sections/instruments to play louder, quieter, faster, slower, etc. for the best sound quality and performance.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 08:31 PM

Borrow this from drunk Steve.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 09:14 PM

Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dognot

Dang that was funny!

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 10:56 PM

Keep tempo, cue, adjust dynamics/style, cutoff, show band when to breathe together. Next time you watch a conductor, watch very closely. Imagine an invisible ball floating in the air just in front of their sternum. That is called the ictus. It is where the beat happens. A good director hits the same spot in the air every time to give the band a consistent place to visually see where the beat is. No matter how fast/slow you go, the ictus stays constant. The director also shows the band WHICH beat they are on. In 4/4 time there are 4 beats per measure. In 3/4 there are 3 beats per measure and so on. Each time signature has a specific pattern which tells the band where in the measure they are. Think- Down, Right, left, up or in college we say Floor, door, window, ceiling. This is imortant so if anyone gets lost, they can find where beat 1 is the next measure and get back on.

By being at ground level instead of above the band, my ictus has to shift waaaay up near head level because my hands had to be high enough for them to see. This doesnt seem like a big deal to anyone watching, but it really rattles the kids when theyve seen it one way in rehearsal a hundred times and now in a performance, everything looks totally different (or they cant see you at all).

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dognot

We actually used one of those for years until they agreed to build us a tower. It beeps at you when the wind blows hard and it thinks its gonna tip over. eeks
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob
So the band was asked to play at the district teacher convocation today. We were on the gym floor, so the band just stood like we always do to play. I was standing on a chair directing, so the band could see me, when a lady from our benefits department walks up to me across the gym floor and tells me that Im not allowed to stand on a chair because its a workers comp liability. Made me do the rest of the performance from the ground where the kids couldnt see me. Mind you, we have 214 kids in our band. They dont seem to have a problem when we are trying to balance on a stadium bench though.

You should have pointed your finger at her and sternly shouted " No pickles for you" That would have learnt her.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:16 PM

Jaap van Zweden has nothing on you. You sir are Texas #1 Maestro.
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob

Keep tempo, cue, adjust dynamics/style, cutoff, show band when to breathe together. Next time you watch a conductor, watch very closely. Imagine an invisible ball floating in the air just in front of their sternum. That is called the ictus. It is where the beat happens. A good director hits the same spot in the air every time to give the band a consistent place to visually see where the beat is. No matter how fast/slow you go, the ictus stays constant. The director also shows the band WHICH beat they are on. In 4/4 time there are 4 beats per measure. In 3/4 there are 3 beats per measure and so on. Each time signature has a specific pattern which tells the band where in the measure they are. Think- Down, Right, left, up or in college we say Floor, door, window, ceiling. This is imortant so if anyone gets lost, they can find where beat 1 is the next measure and get back on.

By being at ground level instead of above the band, my ictus has to shift waaaay up near head level because my hands had to be high enough for them to see. This doesnt seem like a big deal to anyone watching, but it really rattles the kids when theyve seen it one way in rehearsal a hundred times and now in a performance, everything looks totally different (or they cant see you at all).

Okay! I'll look for it next time. Thanks for the explanation.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/17/18 11:46 PM

My ictus itches
Posted By: DJB

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/18/18 12:17 AM

Someone turning you in for standing on a chair should be the least of your worries .My best friend Who has worked at the same school for 10 years just lost his job and reputation from accusations from a student. No proof just accusations. I would never work in a school system, especially in a small town .
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Im a workers comp liability - 08/18/18 02:42 PM

It is quite simple, His wizard wand makes the music, with it, he controls the people in the band.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum