Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kali's Law [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13312239 10/15/19 01:30 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
http://www.propellersafety.com/14860/regulations/texas-media-misleads-boaters-kalis-law/

As per our earlier report we only found two fatal boat propeller accidents reported by Texas in the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Accident Report Database (BARD) in 2017 (2018 statistics are not out yet). Both 2017 Texas boat propeller fatalities involved a houseboat backing into a father and his daughter. Use of a kill switch lanyard would not have prevented that accident. Thus, per a quick look, NONE of the 2017 boating fatalities in Texas would have been prevented.

We cannot see the 2018 data yet but would expect similar results.

I still have not read anywhere that the driver of the boat was ejected (hence the Kill Switch would have engaged) the day Kali was killed.

He testified that he "believes that if he had used his kill switch that day, it would have stopped the engine before it struck Kali, and sheโ€™d probably still be here." but all reports say he never left the boat? hmmm

He could have fell in the CC boat and the kill switch could have never been engaged.

Heck I can move to the center of my boat and still have plenty of cord left to keep it running. Now if I stand up and move to the front deck it works everytime.

I wear mine 100% of the time and always have in every boat that I or my family have owned that has had a kill switch.

In the flat bottoms that we have had that didn't have a Kill Switch we use bungee cords to keep the engine from torquing to one side sending it into the death circle mode.

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Kali's Law [Re: Rayzor] #13312562 10/15/19 06:12 PM
Boomerbrewer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There were many factors in the Kali accident, like any accident, change any one of them and the outcome would have been different. The flats boat had poor handling characteristics, and the weight distribution was shifted toward the bow with passengers. The flats boat "swapped ends". The operator was thrown to the floor, and believed a kill switch would have made a difference. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. I can attach my kill switch and have plenty of cord to hit the floor in my CC. The prop does not stop instantly when the switch is triggered either. If you know for sure that a kill switch would have saved her life, then please use your all knowing power to help me pick some lottery numbers.

That aside, I installed a FELL MOB+ wireless kill switch in my boat and it has worked flawlessly now for several months. I can move all over the boat if I want and kill the engine with a press of the fob around my neck. Comes in really handy when downrigging and you hit a snag and want the boat stopped quick. Cost about 200 bucks and an hour to install.

2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Helix 10, Helix 9 mega SI x2, Garmin 9sv + livescope
Terrova Ipilot Link 36v 105ah Lithium, 12v 160a Lithium Aux
Re: Kali's Law [Re: Rayzor] #13312740 10/15/19 09:19 PM
B
BJH ( JUST JIGGING) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Sgrem
Originally Posted by BJH ( JUST JIGGING)
It would be so easy to put the kill switch under the seat. It is a compression switch you leave the seat it kills the motor. Most ridding mowers have them . They work! They can be put under both seats,

How would you dock the boat?
How would you anchor in heavy seas or current when you put motor in neutral but for sure need it running?

A kill switch is now and always has been a good idea. There are no arguments against it. I dont understand the resistance. My boat is over the 26ft requirement I have always worn the kill switch. For decades.

But if you dont like the law dont do it. Problem will fix itself.....

Just go like h$ll and park it on the dock. Easiest way to anchor is throw it in the water!!! thumb noidea

I would agree with you , but then we would both be WRONG !!!!!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide