Texas Fishing Forum

Vehicle Break-ins

Posted By: Jpurdue

Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:16 PM

We've had a rash of nighttime vehicle break-ins in my neighborhood. It appears to be the same two guys. The crazy part is these guys have been caught on some form of a camera virtually every time. All the footage is just a little grainy to get a solid ID. Fortunately they have not hit my home. I have several cameras installed around my home, but I'm starting to realize just how useless they are. All I'm likely to get is a video of some breaking into my vehicle!

What wisdom does the OT have to reduce the risk of this type of crime?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:18 PM

Park in the garage.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:18 PM

Park in the garage.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:19 PM

Other than park in a secure garage not much.
Maybe think about improving your quality of camera surveillance.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:19 PM

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13405558/1/people-from-california

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:22 PM

3 car garage, but unfortunately I cannot get 2 vehicles and my boat in there, so one vehicle stays in the driveway.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:23 PM

We have had similar in Flower Mound. The obvious answer is park in your garage but I can't because my wife's car and my boat live there. The 2nd best alternative is what I did and that is bought a really good Clifford alarm with audible glass sensors. There is a red and blue flashing light in my cab when armed you can tap on the window with your key and it will chirp anything more and it goes off. Also has stickers on the back windows for Clifford. Thieves look mostly for unlocked cars anyway but they generally know not to mess with the ones that have alarms. BTW most factory alarms are pretty much only anti-theft not full alarms.

Also don't leave valuables in sight and for the love of God don't leave any firearms in your vehicle. It is unbelievable how many get stolen out of vehicles.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:45 PM

leave the doors wide open and a note telling them you already stole all your stuff.

problem solved.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:48 PM

rubber snake on a newly replaced dashboard
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:49 PM

Bad guys hate light. If you can do it, light the driveway up. Plus it may help to get a better pic if needed.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 07:49 PM

seriously, get a good 4k camera and install so it is looking right at the vehicle.

put a dusk to dawn light next to it. they have solar lights now that will light up the whole drive, I use one at the lake place.

this is the one I put up, motion activated and lights up a lot of area, spread the lights out a little.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant...CH=REC-_-PLP_Browse-_-NA-_-206795128-_-N
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 08:12 PM

Lots of good advice above.

A loud barking dog is a great deterrent.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 08:47 PM

Everyone loves a loud barking dog, it's like being one with nature.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 09:06 PM

Baseball bat and Face Book. smile
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 09:12 PM

I have a sign on my truck door that says. Astros Have Been Here. Never been broken into.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 09:15 PM

Second the bat, but what is done in the dark need not be shown in the light.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/16/20 09:16 PM

I put up a couple really bright motion detector lights a couple years ago. So far no problems.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 12:23 AM

Leave some valuables in the car leave the car unlocked wait in the bushes and blast their [censored]
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 12:29 AM

Two words. Hou Ston
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
We've had a rash of nighttime vehicle break-ins in my neighborhood. It appears to be the same two guys. The crazy part is these guys have been caught on some form of a camera virtually every time. All the footage is just a little grainy to get a solid ID. Fortunately they have not hit my home. I have several cameras installed around my home, but I'm starting to realize just how useless they are. All I'm likely to get is a video of some breaking into my vehicle!

What wisdom does the OT have to reduce the risk of this type of crime?

Same in our hood. This "car hopping" thing is a game a lot of high school thugs enjoy. They just try your doors. If they are open, they get in, rifle around your stuff, try to find something of value and steal it. I got them on camera too, but the Police Departments have so many petty theft cases, they don't have the manpower in a lot of cases to pursue these punk azz kids. Some libs will say, "Well you should leave your doors unlocked so these poor socio economically disadvantaged miscreants can make a living". There are those that say "Just lock your damn doors". Of all the thefts there are at most 1 occassion where they actually broke into the cars. Personally, I'd like to catch one, have a mask on and break a limb on them so they understand some repurcussions. You are going to get a mix of emotions on this one.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:22 AM

Addtionally like Hop and others said, Motion lights AND I recently bought a BLINK wireless camera that works great. I have a phone app that will alert me with a tone if any movement. I arm it at night so it wakes me up. For under $100 you can get these. My hardwire security system is "post event" without the alarm that is why I added the BLINK.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain
We have had similar in Flower Mound. The obvious answer is park in your garage but I can't because my wife's car and my boat live there. The 2nd best alternative is what I did and that is bought a really good Clifford alarm with audible glass sensors. There is a red and blue flashing light in my cab when armed you can tap on the window with your key and it will chirp anything more and it goes off. Also has stickers on the back windows for Clifford. Thieves look mostly for unlocked cars anyway but they generally know not to mess with the ones that have alarms. BTW most factory alarms are pretty much only anti-theft not full alarms.

Also don't leave valuables in sight and for the love of God don't leave any firearms in your vehicle. It is unbelievable how many get stolen out of vehicles.

Get a camera, so you can relive the nightmare!!!!!???? No thanks.

Do EXACTLY what this guy suggested. Also, get the Clifford with the two-way paging remote with 1-mile range. Might also add the digital tilt sensor to cover the wheels from being stolen. Or add the proximity sensor to warn them when they get close, and full alarm when they get too close.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:39 AM

Rude Awakening alarm and a gun.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Rude-Awakening&A=0957

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 03:59 AM

5000 watt sound system and a looped recording of an m60 on long burst.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
5000 watt sound system and a looped recording of an m60 on long burst.

I like this. Or an aggravated Pit bull barking.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:09 AM

If they're just breaking in to steal stuff out of the car (and not the car itself), then I'd take everything out of the car and leave it unlocked. I had my truck broken into when I was in college and repairing the window & dash was way more expensive than the $100 pioneer radio they stole.

I'd rather them come up, open the doors, realize there's nothing there, and then leave than break a window, damage your door, tear up other things in your car, etc.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:19 AM

Ring makes great security lights with cameras . A little expensive but you can get Security monitoring for $100.00/year and that’s good price ! The floodlight camera is the best cause it puts out the most light and you have a siren you can set off and monitor from your mobile phone too .

https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:44 AM

Remember the third "S" stands for "shut up" not "show off". That's what the idiots in CA forgot.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 05:20 AM

Leave it in a dark area and set a trap by each door. Put the end of the chain under the tire
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by RonL
Ring makes great security lights with cameras . A little expensive but you can get Security monitoring for $100.00/year and that’s good price ! The floodlight camera is the best cause it puts out the most light and you have a siren you can set off and monitor from your mobile phone too .

I have Ring products and have been happy with them. I get an alert on my phone when one of the motion sensors are set off.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by RonL

I have Ring products and have been happy with them. I get an alert on my phone when one of the motion sensors are set off.

The best one is the one in the link i gave but get the wired not the battery one . Drilled a hole through the wall just above the garage door and wired an extention cord to in place of the original cord and ran it to a plug in the garage . Works great !
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Addtionally like Hop and others said, Motion lights AND I recently bought a BLINK wireless camera that works great. I have a phone app that will alert me with a tone if any movement. I arm it at night so it wakes me up. For under $100 you can get these. My hardwire security system is "post event" without the alarm that is why I added the BLINK.

That is what I do. Blink cams are fairly cheap and take really good video.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:52 PM

Here is the thing with video, if the police dont already have an idea who the suspects are, the video is not so helpful.

How many times has pretty good video been taking of people robbing 7-11s and in some cases shooting clerks and they never solved the caper?

Your semi good home video of some punks although it seems like a hot lead at first, really only comes in handy after they caught the guys through other means.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Here is the thing with video, if the police dont already have an idea who the suspects are, the video is not so helpful.

How many times has pretty good video been taking of people robbing 7-11s and in some cases shooting clerks and they never solved the caper?

Your semi good home video of some punks although it seems like a hot lead at first, really only comes in handy after they caught the guys through other means.

This is correct. I actually have two cameras out front, one pointed directly at my truck. Both are 4K. At night the video still isn't that great, and even if I did get a good clean look at the face of the thieves, I doubt the cops would do much of anything with it.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:54 PM

And also lock your [censored]. I monitor Next Door and we have had several "break ins" in cars lately. All of them were left unlocked.

Which kicked off a heated debate about if the cars were even "broken into" if the doors were left open... Nextdoor folks argue more than the Off topic folks I tell you what...

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 01:56 PM

wire the vehicle with 220 - 221, whatevah!

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 02:29 PM

"The Club"
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 02:56 PM

Solder razor blades and fish hooks onto the back of the radio.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 02:58 PM

I've always wanted to wire a "kill switch" in my car, just like they have on boats.
Anyone ever wire one in?

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 03:34 PM

And also lock your [censored]. I monitor Next Door and we have had several "break ins" in cars lately. All of them were left unlocked.

Which kicked off a heated debate about if the cars were even "broken into" if the doors were left open... Nextdoor folks argue more than the Off topic folks I tell you what...

That has already been mentioned Captain Redundant. Do you ever actually read a thread?
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I've always wanted to wire a "kill switch" in my car, just like they have on boats.
Anyone ever wire one in?

A friend's Dad has his truck stolen out of the driveway in a nice neighborhood in North Dallas. A month after insurance replaced it DPD found the truck, or what was left of it.
We ran the wires and rigged a kill switch hidden at the back of the console on his new truck and went ahead and did my friend's truck as well.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:26 PM

Cool, seems like a pretty easy and effective total theft prevention method.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:31 PM

Sleep in your car
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:47 PM

I've got ring cameras at front and back doors primarily to shut up my wife yapping and hopefully be a small deterrent to thieves.....problem is the thugs around here all wear hoodies and the cameras are not gonna show their face very well nor are the police going to do anything unless they kill somebody...
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
I've got ring cameras at front and back doors primarily to shut up my wife yapping and hopefully be a small deterrent to thieves.....problem is the thugs around here all wear hoodies and the cameras are not gonna show their face very well nor are the police going to do anything unless they kill somebody...

That is exactly the way it has been in Flower Mound there are all kinds of camera picks of these thieves but nothing good enough to get them arrested since they are normally covered up with hoodies.

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:55 PM

That has already been mentioned Captain Redundant. Do you ever actually read a thread?

Yes. I read the whole thing. And yes, its worth mentioning again because almost all home burglaries and half of auto burglarizes happen because people did not lock their [censored]. So it bears repeating.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 04:59 PM

Setup a sting operation. Amazon has a lot of very tiny gps trackers.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 05:19 PM

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 05:23 PM

Yes. I read the whole thing. And yes, its worth mentioning again because almost all home burglaries and half of auto burglarizes happen because people did not lock their [censored]. So it bears repeating.

Well, you have a good point there, hence my humble apology at calling you Captain Redundant. It does have a nice ring to it though?

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/17/20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

roflmao roflmao

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/20/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Bass_Taco

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 02:29 AM

Lots of that going everywhere now. It’s all the freaks that moved here from blue states ...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 03:25 AM

Common event here. They are walking the streets with backpacks at about 2am. Some nights they get on a half dozen or more Ring Cams.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bass_Taco
Lots of that going everywhere now. It’s all the freaks that moved here from blue states ...

No, that stuff has been happening for decades. I knew a guy in high school who was a well-known car stereo thief. He even went to a party at a schoolmates house, and stole a stereo from a car parked in the garage.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 04:31 AM

Josh my co-worker just had the whole first floor of his apartment parking garage get broken into. He didn’t even have anything in his Jeep. All doors shut to the garage including where you drive in. Just put a sign in the glass it’s open, help yourself.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by PondFish
Anyone ever wire one in?

A friend's Dad has his truck stolen out of the driveway in a nice neighborhood in North Dallas. A month after insurance replaced it DPD found the truck, or what was left of it.
We ran the wires and rigged a kill switch hidden at the back of the console on his new truck and went ahead and did my friend's truck as well.

Nice neighborhoods are where thieves go to steal stuff because people have valuables.
Posted By: camo-jorts

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 08:24 AM

Anyone ever wire one in?

We use them in our race cars. Just a two way toggle switch
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 11:09 AM

Lots of light, car pretty much emptied of valuables, if they are breaking windows, leave it unlocked. Other than using a garage your only options are, building another area to securely store your car or move....
We moved years ago from the city for this very reason. Got tired of watching the recordings of brazen idiots door checking our cars at 2 am on the cameras
Good luck
Posted By: wytex

Re: Vehicle Break-ins - 01/21/20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by DavidWhatley
Leave it in a dark area and set a trap by each door. Put the end of the chain under the tire
[Linked Image]

Not sure how a #3 would help, I've caught my hand before, no biggie.

How about putting your cameras down on a level that catches their face not the top of the head. Maybe put one at ground level pointing up to see them while they are looking down to avoid your roof cams.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum