Texas Fishing Forum

What's the deal with Falcon?

Posted By: buckjunkie

What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 08:33 PM

Heard some bad reports. Is it the low water or what? Will it improve with warmer weather? Heading down there February 16.
Thanks for any info.
Posted By: 200Hawk21

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 08:41 PM

Fishing has picked up significantly in the last few days with the warmer weather.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 09:26 PM

atleast 1 thread a day in the past 2 months on this topic. do a search and you will find tons of opinions and/or answers
Posted By: 361V

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 10:13 PM

It was the people eating bass in the over fished gar infested low water...at least thats what I heard.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
It was the people eating bass in the over fished gar infested low water...at least thats what I heard.

"Snowbirds" are like Cormorants!!! They like their fish!!! martini
Posted By: 2manyrangers

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 10:33 PM

That was funny, I was there several years ago when 4 boats from OK cleaned 8 man limits of bass with the smallest being right at 5. This went on for 5 days! It is the lawful right, but I was sick to my stomach!!
Posted By: Hoss Holding

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 10:50 PM

I dont think Falcon has been discuused in a while in here smile
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 11:03 PM

Raise gas prices!!! That will keep them Okies home. Just in case ppl from Exxon are reading this. I'm just playing!!!
Posted By: jigging

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/23/13 11:26 PM

I think it is these post that are killing the horses on Falcon !!! Hahaha JK had to
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 12:02 AM

Maybe Falcon just has to regroup. Even with the water low, that lake is amazing! Just give it time, and she'll come around! That lake's full of big fish, and they aren't going anywhere. Stay positive! thumb
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 12:31 AM

Fishing has gone down the tubes and the authorities have decided to drain it.
Posted By: Jmsteele

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
Raise gas prices!!! That will keep them Okies home. Just in case ppl from Exxon are reading this. I'm just playing!!!

Don't bunch the Okies all together. I'm heading down Saturday for a week. You won't find any of our bunch killing bass. It will make you sick, maybe that's why us Okies have to go to Texas for great fishing. From the reports it looks like Falcon is really picking up. We have a friend already down that had 3 over ten yesterday.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 02:07 AM

That sounds good with 3 over 10 lbs. I have seen lots of people clean fish there from all over, TX,OK,LA,NM, so not just Okies ! I still do not understand why they do it !

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 02:54 AM

From what I understand is that the fish moved out to deeper water and suspended the last couple of months and were harder to locate and now they are starting to move back to shallower water and are going to be getting ready to spawn and are much easier to locate. Just what I have read. Pretty sure the fish didn't somehow disappear and leave the lake. I was there in August and there were plenty of big fish.
Posted By: TCB

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 03:21 AM

Leaving tomorrow to fish with Jay for a couple of days. According to his blog, he lost one 13+ at the boat yesterday. This weekend should be awesome.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 04:05 AM

Go luck to you. I fished with Jay in August for two days and we had a great time. I lost one we think was close to 15 lbs. on that trip.
Posted By: T54

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 04:32 AM

Robert Amaya's pictures from the last few days indicate that things have picked up quite a bit.
Posted By: 10 lbs or bust

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB
Leaving tomorrow to fish with Jay for a couple of days. According to his blog, he lost one 13+ at the boat yesterday. This weekend should be awesome.

Looking forward to it. Shoot me text when ya get in.

Originally Posted By: 200Hawk21
Go luck to you. I fished with Jay in August for two days and we had a great time. I lost one we think was close to 15 lbs. on that trip.

The fish that was lost at the boat yesterday was the second biggest fish I have ever seen in person. Your fish back in August still takes top honors. Unfortunately, neither fish were hung on the scales.

Here's today's report....

http://highstakesbassin.com/falcon-report/
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 01:04 PM

Looks like some fish are showing up on the Rio.....now my itch has started!
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 2manyrangers
That was funny, I was there several years ago when 4 boats from OK cleaned 8 man limits of bass with the smallest being right at 5. This went on for 5 days! It is the lawful right, but I was sick to my stomach!!
When this Okie and his father were down there last April, we had a big group of Louisianers staying at the same place that bragged every night how many pounds of fillets they put on ice each day. They had multiple ice chest in their trucks and boats filled with fish. Two days that we launched at State Park, there was a couple guys from TX- one had a Skeeter with a 300HPDI, that were cleaning big fish one after another in the cleaning station. It was disgusting.Why don't they go catch crappie or catfish to eat? I just don't get it.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 04:58 PM

Cause its legal, pretty simple
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 05:49 PM

I'm with okie pokie wasn't sure about making the trek this spring but these reports are getting me fired up.
Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 06:33 PM

Maybe the lake needs more mercury.....
Posted By: otay michael

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 06:39 PM

Keep the 4's and 5',s don't keep the 8's or larger you meat fishermen, otherwise you are just hurting the chances for yourself and others to have a special trip. Photo and release the monsters, so you can catch them when they are even BIGGER next time.

How hard is that to figure out? I don't think you need to save money with that 50K boat your fishing out of, huh? You're not broke. You can afford to buy better tasting fish (as in salt water) at the store anyways. Sheesh.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 07:29 PM

You so right why would u keep so much fish if you can afford a boat and all the expenses to lodge and fish Falcon for a week. If you are gonna keep fish keep 4lbs and under that will help big fish population.. Morons
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 07:33 PM

I took my first trip to Falcon last March and was there a week. I've bass fished all over Oklahoma and Texas and was SHOCKED to see how many bass were going into livewells and being cleaned at the ramp. One group of locals was at the ramp taking pictures and knifing 3 limits of 5-7 pounders and asked me how we did. I said we probably caught 40. "Let me see them", he says. I respond, "We release every bass we catch." "You didn't keep any?!?!?" he said....he was just shocked we didn't keep a boat full of fish. I love a good fish fry but prefer to knife walleye, catfish, crappie or bass from overstocked ponds.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 07:55 PM

This

or This

and This

The Search Function is amazing
Posted By: Legend08

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 09:39 PM

Fouz,

My original post was a rhetorical reply to Otay,s questions to the big fish eaters:

"How hard is that to figure out? I don't think you need to save money with that 50K boat your fishing out of, huh?"

I meant no disrespect to him.
Posted By: BigBassLaredo

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 09:51 PM

you want fish....go to the HEB food store..... catch and release guys... come on..

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 09:53 PM

Keeping limits out of our lakes actually improves the big fish fishing.

A good limit of 5 lbers makes for a good fish fry.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 09:56 PM

I know at Elephant Butte in NM they say the large stripes and catfish contain mercury and recommend that people not eat them,might be a way to save the Rosies.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:05 PM

It blows my mind that people think that a few guys LEGALLY keeping a few limits of bass for dinner is affecting populations. If the five fish I catch and keep one day are all over 8 pounds then there are obviously more in the thousands and thousands of acres of aqua hiding spots.

Stocking lakes with hundreds of thousands of fish > a few legal limit dinners.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 1ShotNoKills
It blows my mind that people think that a few guys LEGALLY keeping a few limits of bass for dinner is affecting populations. If the five fish I catch and keep one day are all over 8 pounds then there are obviously more in the thousands and thousands of acres of aqua hiding spots.

Anything to keep the spotlight off the tournaments that are killing way more big fish than anyone filleting them.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:19 PM

I blame Bush.
Posted By: Stax®

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Cameron @ LFM
I blame Bush.

Soooo many jokes.....So little time!!! bolt

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail
Originally Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Anything to keep the spotlight off the tournaments that are killing way more big fish than anyone filleting them.

Well I guess someone has to be the scapegoat...

Until the experts at TPWD tell me I can't keep any then I know our population is safe.
Posted By: Sdfish

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:26 PM

I was lucky enough to visit Falcon a couple of times over the last few years. I was appalled to see the amount of fish being gutted and cleaned. The argument that "a couple of people" taking legal limits doesnt affect bass populations is ridiculous. When you have a lake that is hammered by fisherman, gill netters, drought conditions, etc.and expect the lake to remain a great fishery, you are fooling yourself. One of the main reasons the lake became great was because of its isolated geographic location. This lake will be a shadow of its self in 5 years because of short sided, old way of thinking, data based on 10-15 year biological models.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:27 PM

My wife is Catholic so here pretty soon it's fish Fridays at my house so I blame religion...and then Bush

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:28 PM

Trusting tpw is like trusting our government. Tpw will tell you there is an issue once the fishery is depleted. Too late then

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sdfish
I was lucky enough to visit Falcon a couple of times over the last few years. I was appalled to see the amount of fish being gutted and cleaned. The argument that "a couple of people" taking legal limits doesnt affect bass populations is ridiculous. When you have a lake that is hammered by fisherman, gill netters, drought conditions, etc.and expect the lake to remain a great fishery, you are fooling yourself. One of the main reasons the lake became great was because of its isolated geographic location. This lake will be a shadow of its self in 5 years because of short sided, old way of thinking, data based on 10-15 year biological models.

Pure ignorance= "If the five fish I catch and keep one day are all over 8 pounds then there are obviously more in the thousands and thousands of acres of aqua hiding spots."an
an

How is that ignorance? If I'm fishing for 8 hours in an 85000 acre or however big reservoir and I catch 5 fish over 8 pounds do you really think I dented the population?

How many 3 fish 20 plus pound sacks have been weighed in this last year?

If it was even remotely close to being dented then the EXPERTS would do something about it.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:44 PM

If you are the only one keeping fish then its a great argument. What do you think the experts can do about it? They did nothing to Amistad once BASS left and the lake got raped the next 5 years.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:49 PM

And that's because people kept the fish?

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Sdfish
Pure ignorance= "If the five fish I catch and keep one day are all over 8 pounds then there are obviously more in the thousands and thousands of acres of aqua hiding spots."

I guess you are juvenile and like using terms like "pure ignorance" but if you really know what that means you might look in the mirror on your post.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:53 PM

i fished amistad before and after bass BIG difference.
Posted By: Sdfish

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:56 PM

You assume that the "experts" arent having budget issues, political problems with funding,and more important projects to worry about. Most importantly, that the experts even care about maintaining a quality fishery.
There are many instances where fishing is not remotely the concern of water way management. Water management cares about farming irragation, water quality, etc., not about 10lbs bass.
If you consider yourself a sportsman and want to continue that for future generations, look at past lakes and how badly they were managed and how quickly they were burnt out.
Not many lakes in the county where you can have a 20lbs bag routinely and easily. Treat Falcon like a rareity it is, instead of raping it for the present.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:56 PM

I love bass fillets
Posted By: Ryorgensen

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 10:59 PM

Ummm..if you catch 5 big bass a trip and the other 1000 boats do the same. It's not rocket science...that's 5000 fish a day taken out...35000 a week,140000 a month....no lake can keep that up long...This is how the pro athletes spend money...well some at least ..then they've went through millions in a couple years and go broke.. Just because its Legal..doesn't make it right..lots of stupid things are legal....

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:01 PM

5000 fish a day? Some good sticks out there

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:01 PM

You guys act like fisherman keeping fish here and there destroys lakes.

BASS must have caught and kept hundreds of thousands of fish each year. That's just silly.

The Mexican side of Falcon has been using nets for how long? Yet how many reports did we read from the last few years of hundred plus fish days from multiple fisherman? How deep is that lake? It was the number one lake in the country. Do you really think that absolutely nothing would happen if they were worried?

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:05 PM

365000 trips a year out there would be a hell of an income revenue for the locals

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:20 PM

The number I gave was ...just that a number..even at 1000 big fish kept a day..can it last long? It takes years to grow a fish that big.
If a store is giving items away...how long can they do that before it runs out?

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:27 PM

Depends. Do the items the store keeps in stock spawn thousands of eggs each a year?

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:30 PM

Does the manager of the store restock the story regularly with thousands and thousands more items?

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:33 PM

Dude are you 12 ? Yes it will replenish with small fish...but how long til it reaches your 8 lb preferred eating size? Falcon will always have fish there...but will it always have the big numbers it had 2 years ago? Not a chance unless rules change to help the fish live longer.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/24/13 11:35 PM

12 1/2

You assume that the 8 pounders today won't be replaced by the 5, 6,7 pound fish that do grow also.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 12:03 AM

kind of hard to get to 8lbs when the 5,6,7's are getting kept too
Posted By: bassdude10

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 12:04 AM

This shouldn't even be a debate in the Bass section of the freaking Texas Fishing Forum. Well, maybe in 1970. When you keep 7 to 10 pound bass it hurts the fishery. No question about it. We need Ray Scott on here apparently

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 12:06 AM

Its comes down to fishermen and personal responsibility to take care of the water. If you think it can hold up to big fish being kept, you are living under a rock

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 12:09 AM

TPW does a great job at what they are supposed to. However, just because you can shoot two or three trophy bucks (depends on county) doesn't mean everybody on your ranch needs to go shoot three trophy bucks. Same thing with fishing.
There is enough room in the law where it is also the responsibility of the citizens to protect our natural resources. When we jack it up enough maybe TPW will step in and do something about it

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 12:17 AM

The limit of 8's was ridiculous talk.

I do agree keeping every big fish has a higher potential to deplete the quality fish numbers. IMO the number of quality fisherman catching these fish and releasing them is greater than the meat fisherman keeping larger fish.

It all depends on the water and the average size fish caught the most.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 02:05 AM

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: txwhitetail

troll
Posted By: pinon

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 02:20 AM

Imagine falcon with no fisherman for 10 years and then you got to fish it. Forget high water/low water. Would you be excited to fish it? What would be better hunting, 5000 acres of unlimited hunters on public land or restricted private land. Which would you rather hunt? My point is that of course it's the fishing pressure.
Posted By: steelers

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 02:24 AM

I blame Hillary.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 03:27 AM

If the snow birds would take a look at the discharge of sewer water and carp that runs into the Rio they would be buying sea food.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 03:28 AM

All I can add to this bickering is... People have been filleting fish from Falcon long before most of you "new" guys started fishing it. How many of y'all were fishing it back before the Internet hype it became? Guess what, snow birds lived there back then too.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
If the snow birds would take a look at the discharge of sewer water and carp that runs into the Rio they would be buying sea food.

Lol, that's the truth. There is no way I'd eat fish out of there. There is little question raw sewage is dumped in the Rio.

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 04:37 AM

thats why the fish are bigger lol
Posted By: buckjunkie

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 07:53 AM

Anybody know what the water temp is at Falcon?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 07:56 AM

Posted By: Amazed@Falcon

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 02:17 PM

"you can't fix Stupid"....some people call them self sportsmen, just because they have a rod and reel and a bass boat....if you kill a bass to fill your stomach, it turns to s*%#*&....if you release it, it can reproduce, grow and fulfill another real sportsmans dream.....we true sportsmen 'catch and release' and try to convience the 'unfixed' that this is best for the real sport!!! If you don't understand this, please reread the first line!!!

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 03:26 PM

Cool story bro
Posted By: mattm

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 04:07 PM

Its a simple answer really. You need the meat hunters and C&R guys. But to argue the meat hunters need to be keeping giants is ridiculous. It simply takes a bass too long to get to that point and most die trying. If everyone kept everything they caught under 3 lbs that would be beneficial as well.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 05:07 PM

And to help matters some more here is the TPWD Fish consumption advisory page:
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/seafood/Survey.shtm#advisory

(Since the TPWD has our welfare and is doing a good job. Oddly enough Falcon is NOT on the list. But there are PLENTY of other lakes we fish. Some are specifically warning about BASS but not catfish or crappie. Hint, Hint! But if you folks are feeding your kids too much toxic fish then don't be surprised when they have some weird off the wall medical problem!)
Posted By: otay michael

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/25/13 07:54 PM

Hey Bigron119, thanks for posting that. I did not know that all 8 pounders and up caused cancer from Falcon. I'm starting catch and release now!

cheers

rolfmao

bolt
Posted By: jbguide

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 01/26/13 03:12 AM

The lake is going to go through cycles and a lot of it depends on the rain we get. But Falcon is in no way bad yet. I remember fishing there in the 90 and the lake was great like it is now. Then it got just ok in the late 90 and early 2000. Then we got rain and bam the lake turned around. So basically what I'm saying is if the lake is low it will not be able to keep up with the abuse. But when it is high and the fish have places to hide the lake can withstand the abuse a little better. I just wish people would just think about how much Mother Nature plays a part in it all.
Posted By: lare2

Re: What's the deal with Falcon? - 02/11/13 06:50 PM

so many negative and positive on Falcon. Very true by JBGUIDE Falcon is going thru a cycle and it lost a lot of water so fish are getting used to it and so are the fisherman.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum