Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9932205 04/24/14 03:05 AM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
"Should have been here yesterday"-------- Learn it, know it, live it.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9932323 04/24/14 03:39 AM
B
Bruce Johns Offline
Angler
Angler
B
"Nice one", and other over-enthusiastic phrases at each mediocre fish are a must.

Some folks can turn their passion into their livelihood and do well. Personally, I used to love woodworking....started building cabinets and did it for years. Now, I'd rather take a beating than do any sort of carpentry. I'm just saying be careful when turning something that you really enjoy into work.

Now Entering the Black Forest
Caution:
-camouflage cottonmouths
-stumps are perpetually 4" under surface
-unforecast windstorms
-gators that act funny
-game wardens off their meds
Have a Nice Day smile
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9932548 04/24/14 10:51 AM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Make no mistake...guiding is work. You will hear this a lot "must be nice to fish all day". Most folks just don't realize the effort it takes to put a boat on the water everyday AND produce. I like to say the fishing is the fun part...It is! The pre and post trip is where the work is.

If you have a relationship, prepare for it to be tested. As a guide your weekend schedule is the exact opposite of normal humans. It will be taxing to say the least.

A lot of people don't like Facebook, but it is probably the number one way to build your business, as other have said, People like to see themselves on the web.

Get your liability insurance, It is not that much cost wise and the peace of mind it buys is priceless...

My mantra is simple....I can put up with anyone for 4-6 hours, I have put that to the test many times.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9932558 04/24/14 10:56 AM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I also agree with others...raise your rates.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: fouzman] #9932565 04/24/14 11:04 AM
Lake Fork Guide Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fouzman
If your local lake has no active guide service, there is a good reason. Either there are better lakes nearby, or there isn't enough demand for guide services to make a living. Otherwise, there would already be guides there.

I'll add to what Mark stated as for qualifications. You must be able to function at a high level on 3-5 hours of sleep/night, for months at a time, in all weather conditions.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
To be a people person.
To be a good teacher.
To find fish that not only you can catch but fish your clients can catch no matter their skill level.
Thick skin.
Long hours in a boat not being able to fish.
A decent boat that is dependable and safe.

That about sums it up

Don't forget the fact being on the water 10-11 hours aday for months at a time will generally out a strain on your marriage or personal life if your wife or gf isn't prepared.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9932584 04/24/14 11:18 AM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
To be a guide:

Change your name on all internet boards to include "guide" in your name. Find another guides website and copy all that they have done. Then take a bunch of your friends fishing and post pictures of the fish you and the friends caught while claiming on the internet that they were "clients". Make sure those friends know about the TFF so they can post how good their trip was and how great their guide was. If you can't get those friends on fish in time then just go find a bunch of pictures you have saved of you and your friends and put them on your website as if they are recent. Always embellish every trip that you post about and then offer discount rates on the internet to undercut the others who are guiding for a living.

To be a good guide:

Learn to consistently stay on fish year round (understand what they should do before they do it). Work your butt off 6 to 7 days a week from well before daylight till everyone else is at home from work eating supper for most of the year while being a happy people person. Be a tackle shop and a rod and reel supply company all by yourself. Become a professional at getting out backlashes. After you get home be a part time boat repairman. Learn to act like someones best friend when they are pretty much a jerk. And possibly learn how to feed a family as cheap as a bunch of college kids with no money.

Last edited by RKT; 04/24/14 11:59 AM.
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: RKT] #9934216 04/24/14 09:03 PM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: RKT
To be a guide:

Change your name on all internet boards to include "guide" in your name. Find another guides website and copy all that they have done. Then take a bunch of your friends fishing and post pictures of the fish you and the friends caught while claiming on the internet that they were "clients". Make sure those friends know about the TFF so they can post how good their trip was and how great their guide was. If you can't get those friends on fish in time then just go find a bunch of pictures you have saved of you and your friends and put them on your website as if they are recent. Always embellish every trip that you post about and then offer discount rates on the internet to undercut the others who are guiding for a living.

To be a good guide:

Learn to consistently stay on fish year round (understand what they should do before they do it). Work your butt off 6 to 7 days a week from well before daylight till everyone else is at home from work eating supper for most of the year while being a happy people person. Be a tackle shop and a rod and reel supply company all by yourself. Become a professional at getting out backlashes. After you get home be a part time boat repairman. Learn to act like someones best friend when they are pretty much a jerk. And possibly learn how to feed a family as cheap as a bunch of college kids with no money.

Sounds about right.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9934360 04/24/14 10:03 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Incorporate slick catch phrases on the water. Examples: 1) What a chunk! 2) Are you sure you haven't fished before? You should go pro! 3) That's not a backlash, it's a birds nest. 4) That rod was old, I didn't like it anyway. 5) Jerk hard, reel fast!! 6) No time for Shirley Temple hook sets in my boat! 7) Those fish were stacked in here like cord word yesterday. 8) This weather has given these fish lock jaw. 9) I don't know how that line broke, I changed it last night. 10) You're gonna get your arm ripped out of socket today. This is small sampling, I hope this helps....

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9934557 04/24/14 11:55 PM
R
RRogers Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Well, if you wish to do it legally, you are also required to have a US coast guard captains license. That's a fact few know.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: RRogers] #9934786 04/25/14 01:40 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: refugio
Well, if you wish to do it legally, you are also required to have a US coast guard captains license. That's a fact few know.

No you don't.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9934838 04/25/14 01:54 AM
TorySweatman Offline
Angler
Angler
My father in law has spent over $20,000 in gas just looking for new spots the last ten years. Not to mention he's on the water everyday of the week, every week. To be a productive guide in his words it's a full time Job

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9935027 04/25/14 03:16 AM
S
Spro86 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
After the hard reality check that y'all have so graciously given me I have come to the realization that this is my dream and I'll never know until I try. But as all things worth doing it looks like I have an incredible amount of preparation and time getting my ducks in a row before jumping face first off a cliff.

Fishing is a lifestyle not a hobby
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: manhunter] #9936110 04/25/14 04:44 PM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: manhunter
Incorporate slick catch phrases on the water. Examples: 1) What a chunk! 2) Are you sure you haven't fished before? You should go pro! 3) That's not a backlash, it's a birds nest. 4) That rod was old, I didn't like it anyway. 5) Jerk hard, reel fast!! 6) No time for Shirley Temple hook sets in my boat! 7) Those fish were stacked in here like cord word yesterday. 8) This weather has given these fish lock jaw. 9) I don't know how that line broke, I changed it last night. 10) You're gonna get your arm ripped out of socket today. This is small sampling, I hope this helps....

And don't forget the faux tournament scenario. They keep track of the fish your catching and comparing it to being in a tournament. That's what many of them really want to be doing so they try to incorporate that into schtick.

BIG C

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9936128 04/25/14 04:56 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
That's right Big C. Have to make the customer feel like KVD or some such.

Re: What does it take to be a guide? [Re: Spro86] #9936175 04/25/14 05:21 PM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
A mailbox lol.........

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread