Forums59
Topics1,047,484
Posts14,107,160
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: benhood] #9900510 04/11/14 07:15 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: benhood
Robert, I agree with all other's comments here and on your facebook page - this was truly the best footage on fishing The Devils vs. all the others I've watched - and I've watched a bunch of them because I want to do this trip so bad!! Heck I watched your video three times, on three different devices! You provided so many insights, from gear to tackle, to techniques along with good information and you added drama and comedy to boot!. If you were to make this trip again, or another one similar, what would you do different? Was there anything you would take or leave behind or change up (i.e. tool or repair kits, shorter trip, different time of year, exlax!!)? You mentioned how cold you got that one night - wonder what gear you could have packed to offset that? Anyhow, just wondering your thoughts there. Was interesting to see the toll 5 days in nature takes on us city folk. We do a 5 day camping/trout fishing trip in Colorado every year. There is a difference in the excitement and jubilation on day 1 and by day 5 you would pay big bucks for the cheapest motel room as long as it had a hot shower! Anyhow, looking forward to the next one.

First off man, I really appreciate the compliments. I put a lot of time and energy into this so it's really amazing to hear the positive feedback. I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous about how it would be received when I released it, or if anyone would even watch it.

I would leave behind a bunch of the miscellaneous [censored] I brought. I had a lot of "well what if _______ happens?!" items because I'm an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of guy, and when I got off the river I had a bunch of items I never touched. I knew going into it that every pound would count, but I did not take it seriously enough. Sitting so low in the water made the rapids much more difficult and also meant I had to drag where some of the others in our group just glided right through. I brought 2 flashlights and 2 headlamps - unnecessary! I was all "what if three get wet?!" and that's just dumb. Things like that I would've left behind. If you won't NEED it, leave it at home.

I would have brought something better to sleep on. I had a 1" inflatable sleeping pad that developed a hole the first night. With the lower back issue I'm dealing with (bulging disc), I was waking up feeling very rough every morning. Honestly I would not have made it without a painkiller each morning. Those also helped me loosen up for the narrations LOL rolfmao

A small axe for chopping firewood was sorely missed, and I ditched my anchor and drag chain at the last minute to shed weight. I wish I had kept those and ditched something else instead. Or perhaps just taken a drift sock, the lightest of those options. The winds were nice on Days 1 and 2 but from what I hear that's the exception, and on Days 3 and 4 they were howling. It made fishing a real pain.

I had brought two daytime outfits and one nighttime outfit. This was again too much. One of each is perfect, for hot days and cold nights. You'll notice I changed for Day 4, but I didn't smell THAT bad. I mean, if I had run into a gaggle of cute girls on the river, they probably wouldn't have been forming a line. But it was tolerable.

As for time of year, I do wish we had gone a little later in the year. Early March meant the water was quite cold and Day 4 (and especially 5) were chilly. It is spring-fed so the water was much warmer than it was up here at the time, but still cold at about 60 deg. I'm the kind of guy that would've liked to snorkel in a few areas to see what's down there (below Dolan Falls, for instance). We had to be careful about hitting rapids too close to dark because it got cold quickly once the sun set.

I would not have done a shorter trip, in fact, I would've loved two more days (I know at the end I said I was ready to go home - but that's because it was 40 degrees and raining with 25mph winds, and I was soaked). Despite cutting out the first 16 miles of the journey (down to 24 miles in 5 days), I still felt rushed every day. There were many times we had to cruise through areas that looked very juicy. It hurt my heart a little. But I think had the water been closer to normal flows, it probably wouldn't have been as slow going through the rapids. That really killed us. I probably made a dozen casts on Day 3 and didn't catch a single fish as we tried to get back on schedule.

That's probably a longer answer than you were looking for, but it's Friday afternoon and I'm kind of over doing "actual work" at this "job thing" that I have. rolfmao

I answered some of these questions and a couple others in a Kayak Fish Magazine interview if you want to check it out: http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/devils_river_kayak_fishing/

Thanks again for watching bud. The feedback I've received has made it all worth it.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9900885 04/11/14 10:31 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

First off man, I really appreciate the compliments. I put a lot of time and energy into this so it's really amazing to hear the positive feedback. I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous about how it would be received when I released it, or if anyone would even watch it.

Huh?? You've got to be kidding? That's the most incredible trip video I've ever seen by far! I had dismissed this trip as not worth the trouble, especially the WAG bags, but now I think I'm going to do it! Next time I see you, you should probably run the other way, because I've got at least 100 questions.

Greatness, that's what the video is. Great work, Robert!

Artie
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9900907 04/11/14 10:47 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Robert, just wondering what the fire wood situation was at the more popular camping areas along the route and along the river in the areas you camped. Would have thought it would have been tough finding any with the private property issues and that sterno type cans or alcohol would have been the fuel of choice for cooking.

Last edited by lconn4; 04/11/14 10:50 PM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9903516 04/13/14 03:31 AM
N
Netty2424 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Did that water purifier straw work for you? Any ill affects? What was the name of it?

Jackson Cuda 12, FF Elite 4
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9903594 04/13/14 04:20 AM
D
dbraune Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Nice

my christmas gift 12/25/09
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9904094 04/13/14 03:18 PM
A
awdieee Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Just spent my morning watching your video and I have to say it was outstanding! Awesome job! bow_down

Would love to do the Devils trip BUT the thought of sleeping in the wild and dragging my yak would make me think twice.

Lee
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: lconn4] #9904735 04/13/14 08:19 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: lconn4
Robert, just wondering what the fire wood situation was at the more popular camping areas along the route and along the river in the areas you camped. Would have thought it would have been tough finding any with the private property issues and that sterno type cans or alcohol would have been the fuel of choice for cooking.

We found plenty of drift wood at every camp site except for Night 3 on that small slab of rock. We didn't use fire for cooking, they had little propane burners to boil water and I used the fire from the Bio Lite stove. It charged my batteries while boiling water to cook my meals - double use. We ate those dehydrated meals that just require adding boiling water.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9904973 04/13/14 09:43 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just watched your video Robert and was very impressed! clap

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: Shaun Russell] #9905594 04/14/14 01:58 AM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
Just watched your video Robert and was very impressed! clap

Thanks for watching brotha. And thanks again for letting me borrow the GoPro and for letting me take home that iron so I can give my kayak a little facelift.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9906609 04/14/14 03:12 PM
S
Sunup Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Awesome video, what a great adventure
and you did it, thoroughly enjoyed every aspect.
WTGflame

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9908231 04/15/14 12:13 AM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
Some developing news... I have a phone call scheduled with a TPWD officer tomorrow night at 6:00 PM...

Will give more details as I know them, but this isn't overly surprising to me. With such a sensitive subject of the Devil's River, and giving such a candid view of our trip, I was worried this might happen. I know the basics of what he wants to talk about but don't want to give more details until I know more. These types of things are always a risk when you put yourself out there in the public eye.

Pray for me. rolfmao bolt

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9908545 04/15/14 01:59 AM
J
jtbgator Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Good luck bro! popcorn

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9908576 04/15/14 02:11 AM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Chances are they thought your wag bag looked a little light. Good luck and hope no evidence is found. thumb

Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9908726 04/15/14 02:59 AM
T
TXGARRET Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Finally had enough free time to watch the entire video. Great work. Really enjoy watching all of your videos.

[Linked Image]
Re: [VIDEO] 5-Day Trip Down the Devil's River [Re: YakFishField] #9908760 04/15/14 03:15 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Just reading over the some of the rules for camping out there.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/devils-river/river-trips

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/riogrande9.html

Maybe Robert made too much noise while filling his wag bag. rolfmao

Last edited by lconn4; 04/15/14 03:18 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide