Re: Bowfishing [Re: Lil joe] #9796365 03/05/14 12:22 PM
M
MrWood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: bass catcherman
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Personally I prefer bowfishing for 10 pound plus largemouth bass. No dadgum carps, they are inedible, but a big bass, filleted out and baked in the oven with ginger can't be beat. Bedding going on soon, so sight bowfishing for fat females over beds is coming real soon. Fry them eggs out of that big ole bow shot bass with some sausage and OJ, best breakfast going.

When I can't find bass easily I just shoot me some crappie or maybe yellow cat at night. Them gars also inedible, not worth the trouble to kill like a big bass, crappie or catfish....yummmeee!

So how does it feel? Somebody that just loves to kill and eat what some others would only catch and release.

Sure there are places where some species of rough fish need controlled. But there are others, places that bring tourists, money and wealth to Texas, where trophy class carp and especially alligator gar should be protected and managed just like any other popular sport species and not killed for the sport of it alone.

To each his own, up to a point. But when killing fish begins to displace the actual sport of fishing, that is the endpoint of the killing, or should be.

Yes, I have bowfished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I support that aspect of the sport, but firmly believe it should be as managed as the rest of the fishery, to the maximum benefit of the user group and the businesses that cater to them.

It is not legal to take "game fish" species including bass with a bow

Pretty sure that one made a whistling noise as it flew over your head. He was using sarcasm to make a point.

Re: Bowfishing [Re: MrWood] #9797847 03/05/14 08:37 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
popcorn2

Just one more cast!

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Maglite] #9801340 03/06/14 11:02 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Why do you consider them trash fish?

Your boat looks pretty amazing. Can you give us the specs on it?

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9803051 03/07/14 02:24 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
fishbreeder is so correct on this.

10 years I have watched this argument here, never won or lost.
just contradicting opinions, which in itself is quite healthy.
But here's the killer:

Bowfishers enjoy what they do. "Enthusiasts", we could call them right?
So much so that a few, like Maglite & his specialized boat, spend thousands on it, much like carp/bass/cat anglers. I'd call that a SPORT, wouldn't you?
That in itself destroys the "trash-fish" mentality, & proves 100% that ANY
fish targetted or taken by bowfishing means, should be controlled under
invasive or gamefish status. This would apply limits & more importantly,
wanton waste limitations. No more "gray area"
There is clearly conflicting wordage that leaves the general interpretation just that- INTERPRETATION. It's my opinion it should be written & enforced in a clearer manner that the average sportsman, be they archer or angler, can understand & adhere to.
In addition, proper ENFORCEMENT will weed out the good from the bad, but who's willing to pay for that? who's down for paying $80/yr for your
super-combo, strictly to cover the added cost of increased enforcement assets.
these are the questions bow-fishers need to be asking, rather than whining about proposed resrictions that benefit the very fish they chase,(sustainability), or which type of sport is morally superior

[Linked Image]
Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9804595 03/07/14 11:35 PM
W
wetduck Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Well played LL

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9804890 03/08/14 01:32 AM
M
Maglite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
My rig is a 20x84 custom built with 36" sides and 3/16 bottom and sides. 12-150watt hps lights and a 35 horse vanguard engine with a 60" fan and a 115 horse outboard.

I will say that yes people do eat carp and buffalo and (gar is great) but I will not eat carp or buffalo. Then again people eat animal intestins and brains too and I'm not eating that either. Carp destroy fish nests and destroy earthen dams as well. They are not natural to us here they were imported and are considered non game fish for good reason. Buffalo are the same. Anyone who thinks gar don't eat game fish are insane. You think they pick and choose between fish and only eat minnows or trash fish young?? Come on now. I understand some don't like bowfishing and I'm all for your right to not like it but that don't make it wrong. Carp and buffalo and gar need to be taken due to the fact that other than big gar eating some they have no natural.predators. yes bass eat young carp and catfish do too but they over populate really fast due to not having people routinely catching them for dinner like they do bass which helps keep their numbers in check to a point. I guess I just don't get why everyone wants to tell everyone else what's right and wrong. You want to RR fish heck get after it I love it too but don't down someone who dosent like to RR fish.

Last edited by Maglite; 03/08/14 01:36 AM.
Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #10244625 08/28/14 06:38 PM
F
Fishing Professor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I post then in the pic section all and too bad if they do not like it...

Praying is like a rocking chair - it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere
Gypsy Rose Lee
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide