Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Bowfishing [Re: TGalyon1] #9666882 01/21/14 07:31 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TGalyon1
=steve hummert]

You need to check your laws It not illegal to wast carp, gar, as long as they are not game fish.

Please read the game laws and understand them before posting. I know those booklets by TPWD leave a lot to be desired when it comes to clarity, but you are wrong on this one!

Just one more cast!

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Jimbo] #9669171 01/22/14 01:37 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Now I'm a bit confused.....

What about grass carp and tilapia?

"It is a violation to...Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect."

So, if'n you ain't partial to eating carps and tilapias, but you gotta kill 'em according to law, now do you havta eat 'em anyhow?

So now we not only got double standards, we got conflicting rules. Gotta love it.

Fishbreeder

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Fishbreeder] #9669313 01/22/14 02:25 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The key word is "POSSESS" when it mentions those particular species.
If you have no desire or intent to keep them, you should release them immediately after they are caught.
The purpose of that rule is to keep people from transporting them away from the lake to use as live bait elsewhere, thus releasing them into other bodies of water where they are not established.
As I mentioned the game laws are written in an odd manner, and at times it seems they are written in a way to confuse normal intelligent people. Why? There could be a method to their madness, and I'll let it go at that.

Just one more cast!

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Jimbo] #9669475 01/22/14 03:10 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I understand that "possess" bit, my conflict is with the "must immediately eviscerate" part, before "releasing." This applies to any "harmful or potentially harmful," exotic species on the TP&WD list of such. I would have a better understanding if at some point there was something along the lines of, "the wanton waste law does not apply to harmful or potentially harmful exotic species, which must be immediately eviscerated but do not have to be retained for utilization...." or somesuch.

The rules further state that "triploid" (like anybody can tell the difference by looking) grass carp, in water bodies permitted to have them, must be released alive back to those waters (no legal harvest).

Not that I disagree with either ruling, just that they are incongruous.

Sometimes I wonder about the madness and the methodology......

Some species are evil incarnate and worth working to contain, for some its too late, and others are actually better adapted to our modern day, man made, no longer pristine, world and should be embraced.

Back on topic, in most cases, as a fisheries biologist, I see no reason to not bowfish for many species, especially those marked as "harmful or potentially harmful," by TP&WD, and a lot of leeway should be given for those as to what constitutes "waste."

Gizzard shad, tilapia, and even common carp all make very good dried fertilizer if processed right, and I see that as a valid use for such fish, just as they would be good species to feed your cats.

As to "normal intelligent people," I been looking here for quite awhile and haven't found any yet......."intelligent people," there's plenty of but you add "normal" to that and it pretty well excludes the entire forum...

Fishbreeder

Re: Bowfishing [Re: SteveHummert] #9686044 01/28/14 11:11 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I thought the same thing a few years back at a terny at Texoma. several guy had buckets of shot fish. all the warden wanted to see was license. so i went by the office

TGalyon,
Thank you for your input but there is a law: TPWD 66.011 Leaving Fish TO Die: a person commits an offense if the person leaves edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of this state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait

Not to mention there are now some limits on alligator gar.

Feel free to contact any Game Warden to discuss it....I already have.

I thought the same thing a few years back at a terny at Texoma. several guy had buckets of shot fish. all the warden wanted to see was license. so i went by the office

I did.... Talk to Warden Nickels at Garland office. Gar and carp are not game fish so do not receive the same respect as game fish.

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9688202 01/29/14 05:08 PM
G
GunnHook Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
good to get it all straightened out here at least. even if it is a touch heated.

<- Click Here
Discounted Hunting & Fishing Around the World
Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9785934 03/02/14 01:52 PM
M
Maglite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Trash fish shouldn't be regulated. You want to regulate the carp, buffalo, gar, etc then the state should have to start breeding them and releasing them in every water source in Texas. These fish are non game fish. I understand what the law reads and I use a lot of my fish as cut bait and or fertilizer or donate to a turtle farm. But talking about regulating a trash fish is crazy. They are destructive and ruin game fish nest and habitats. You bass fisherman should be all for the removal of carp and buffalo and gar!

Last edited by Maglite; 03/02/14 01:53 PM.
Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9786086 03/02/14 02:53 PM
LoneStarCarper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
For the record, carp are considered an edible fish by TPWD and the wanton laws apply to them. They have a whole brochure you can download off the TPWD website that discuss's at length cooking and preparing carp.

Barstool biologists put a smile on my face though so do please continue to wax intellectual about the abomination that is known as carp.

While we're at it perhaps you can convince me the earth was created in 168 hours.

Last edited by LoneStarCarper; 03/02/14 03:14 PM.

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9788701 03/03/14 02:32 AM
M
Maglite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Gar are edible and so are buffalo but they are all still NON GAME FISH! I will eat gar it's good but I'm not eating carp or buffalo but I'll use em as bait and fertilizer! Cleaning up your lakes and saving your bass one trash fish at a time!

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9794473 03/04/14 08:30 PM
N
NicLeblanc10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
There is a lot of fisherman, myself included, that would rather catch these so called "trash fish" than bass or any other type of game fish

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9794567 03/04/14 08:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Discussions just like this one is why PETA and the anti gunners have been so successful in taking away our outdoor sporting rights. Better get together or we all will lose our rights to fish and hunt. Divide and Conquer.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9796114 03/05/14 04:42 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
How anyone cannot respect, admire, AND YES...EAT, Carp, Buffalo, Gar is beyond me. Buffalo on the grill is by far some of the tastiest fish you will ever, ever eat. And deep fried Carp, when prepared correctly, will taste as good or better than Crappie or Catfish. Gar..especially Longnose Gar is the "poor man's lobster" without a doubt. If you have never cleaned a Longnose Gar and witnessed those long, white, boneless fillets, you are truly missing out.

When it comes to CPR angling, nothing beats the thrill of fishing for Carp & Buffalo. There's no other fish in Texas that gives you a fairly high chance of catching a 20-40lb fish. They are the IDEAL fish to take a kid fishing for. No matter where I fish, when I cradle a big ol Carp in my arms, it ALWAYS generates a few onlookers who want to see that big ol gold fish. wink lol...

Out of every state in the USA, Texas has the biggest Carp, Buffalo and Gar. At some point TPWD really needs to come on board and realize the potential gold mine sport fishery these rough fish can be. There's already limits for Alligator Gar, hopefully in the future we'll see regulations for Carp/Buffalo at certain bodies of water.

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Quantum pt] #9796268 03/05/14 08:01 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I have not done any research on the carp eating eggs, but one thing does need to be cleared up. Gar are not a threat to game fish. Look up the studies where they documented stomach contents. Very few bass, crappie, etc. were found.

I don't really understand what gives anyone the right to deem a certain fish a "Game Fish". Do we call all fish that are not generally consumed on a regular basis a trash fish? Some of these so called "trash fish" have been in existence long before the game fish became what they are today. I think they have earned their spot and deserve some respect.

Re: Bowfishing [Re: Fishbreeder] #9796321 03/05/14 11:23 AM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Personally I prefer bowfishing for 10 pound plus largemouth bass. No dadgum carps, they are inedible, but a big bass, filleted out and baked in the oven with ginger can't be beat. Bedding going on soon, so sight bowfishing for fat females over beds is coming real soon. Fry them eggs out of that big ole bow shot bass with some sausage and OJ, best breakfast going.

When I can't find bass easily I just shoot me some crappie or maybe yellow cat at night. Them gars also inedible, not worth the trouble to kill like a big bass, crappie or catfish....yummmeee!

So how does it feel? Somebody that just loves to kill and eat what some others would only catch and release.

Sure there are places where some species of rough fish need controlled. But there are others, places that bring tourists, money and wealth to Texas, where trophy class carp and especially alligator gar should be protected and managed just like any other popular sport species and not killed for the sport of it alone.

To each his own, up to a point. But when killing fish begins to displace the actual sport of fishing, that is the endpoint of the killing, or should be.

Yes, I have bowfished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I support that aspect of the sport, but firmly believe it should be as managed as the rest of the fishery, to the maximum benefit of the user group and the businesses that cater to them.

It is not legal to take "game fish" species including bass with a bow

Re: Bowfishing [Re: slimjim] #9796360 03/05/14 12:21 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: slimjim
I have not done any research on the carp eating eggs, but one thing does need to be cleared up. Gar are not a threat to game fish. Look up the studies where they documented stomach contents. Very few bass, crappie, etc. were found.

When gar are caught or faced with stress they throw up their contents in there stomach. This was discussed in the Bass Section last month. There was even studies they posted about this. That is why they say gar don't eat much...LOL...they don't get 200 lbs eating flies off the top of the water. smile

If you want to look it up it was a discussion on Falcon and the number of bass with bite wounds from gar. Guides said they saw it every day. Half eaten fish, several pics even posted. One bass was gutted, but still trying to live and eat.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide