Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9435328 10/28/13 12:53 AM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
That's pretty cool. A lot of green you've got there. Be sure to post pics whenever you see an entire school on those lights.

--Nick smirk
Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: bigtexnick] #9436860 10/28/13 05:15 PM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: bigtexnick
That's pretty cool. A lot of green you've got there. Be sure to post pics whenever you see an entire school on those lights.

Hopefully that will be tonight. smile We didn't fish this past weekend.

We going to fish this afternoon and tonight. I don't know if I will take the pontoon out on the lake or just fish from the slip. But I do know I will fish some from the slip as I will come in before dark if I do take the pontoon out.

I have seen schools of white bass in my neighbor's slip last month, swimming upside down in his light. So I hope to draw some of them to my slip. smile

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9438813 10/29/13 04:31 AM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
I fished the slip tonight from 6:00 P.M. till 10:00 P.M.

I did not see any fish swimming in the lights at my slip tonight.

I checked my neighbor's slip and he had a lot of fish swimming the light pool created by his underwater light. When you dropped a line with minnows you could see large fish swim up to look at the minnows. But none of them would bite.

His slip is two slips over from my slip. He has had the light in his slip for a year, I placed mine last week.

Both lights are mercury vapor 175 watt lights. Both lights are at 8'. His is in the middle of the front of his slip, mine is on the side of my slip, about 16' from the front of the slip.

Both appear to put out the same amount of light.

Is the difference in time the lights have been in the slips the reason his underwater light was attracting fish and mine was not?

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9439069 10/29/13 12:32 PM
C
CBFisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I placed a light in my slip this year also. Same as yours. I think the key here is not just the light but the amount of structure. Crappie condos and brush mixed allow the algae to grow. This brings in the smalls which bring the bigs. Just got to give it time to grow a good amount of algae and place plenty of brush. (cedar, bamboo, condos, whatever else makes shadows and places for algae). Good fishing!

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: CBFisher] #9439499 10/29/13 03:07 PM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: CBFisher
I placed a light in my slip this year also. Same as yours. I think the key here is not just the light but the amount of structure. Crappie condos and brush mixed allow the algae to grow. This brings in the smalls which bring the bigs. Just got to give it time to grow a good amount of algae and place plenty of brush. (cedar, bamboo, condos, whatever else makes shadows and places for algae). Good fishing!

I understand but in this case the other slip does not have any brush. This is a new dock and the current slip leaser is the only person to have used the slip. He states he has not added any brush to the slip.

His slip is 11' deep at the front, the same as the front of my slip.

The only difference between the two slips is the location of the underwater light and the length of time he had the light in the water.

He stated he bought the light last July. So he has had the light in the water for over year.

I am going to add pvc condo's to my slip over the next month. I will probably dump a few Christmas trees after the first of the year when people threw them away.

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9441745 10/30/13 05:08 AM
P
Pavur Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
i dont know what type of lights you have but if you have wildcat lights you will be just fine. The lights will bring in the fish really good.

PAVUR OUTDOORS
Live Fishing Reports: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pavur-Outdoors/396249107116881
CAST&BLAST- CATFISH,CRAPPIE,DEER,QUAIL,HOGS,DOVE,DUCKS
All Inclusive Trips
940-206-6375

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9442167 10/30/13 01:40 PM
B
beltonbill Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
The man with the most lights wins.

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: beltonbill] #9442228 10/30/13 02:03 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had a Barge for 3 years, and always had lights, I disagree about the lights (more the merrier) I found that while lights bring in the Bait and the fish. The Larger fish are caught in the periphery of the lights, not directly under it.

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: Pavur Outdoors] #9442525 10/30/13 03:54 PM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: gfish
i dont know what type of lights you have but if you have wildcat lights you will be just fine. The lights will bring in the fish really good.

I didn't buy a commercial mercury vapor underwater light, I built my own for approximately $100. Frankly, $350-$400 is too much to pay for something where the component only cost $100 retail and even less if you buy in quantities at wholesale.

My mercury vapor light bulb has the clear glass bulb, which is the important thing to consider. The coated glass bulbs do not produce the same quality of green light.

As seen from the photo my light provides a bright green light. It is brighter than his light, illuminating a larger stretch of water.

I do wonder if I have too many lights. My slip is much brighter than his slip, although all the lights are green.

If the fish do not start showing up in a week or so I will try it with the green LED lights along the sides of the strip turned off.

If that does not make a difference I will move the light to the middle front of the slip. I would prefer it at the side as that provides more fish-able water. But I will experiment until I find what works.

I am looking for a method to suspend the light in the middle of the slip so the underwater light sets under the pontoon. I think this would provide more fish-able water than having it set at the edge of the slip.

Last night I had a few fish swimming in the light, just not the quantity of fish that was swimming in his light.

So it may just be a matter of time. But I intend to stack the odds in my favor by adding condos to my slip. smile

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9444968 10/31/13 06:19 AM
A
Anytimeoutdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Crappie have huge sensitive eyes and prefer shadows. In my test of green lights and LEDs all this year. I found that green LEDs on the edge of the boat facing down 16' above the water line won hands down.attracts the bait fish to the surface. They are Really Bright but not blinding. And the fishing was fantastic slab after slab and big whites and big stripers. I highly endorse green LEDs from 1st Class Tackle

"AnytimeOutdoors Guide Service"
More info 24/7 at anytimeoutdoors@gmail.com
www.anytimeoutdoorsguideservice.com
TPWD Acredited fisherman
"Any time outdoors"
"Slingin hooks or slingin arrows"
Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9445907 10/31/13 04:29 PM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
The green lights on your boat do look nice. I also like the way the green lights on my pontoon look. smile

During September I had the green 5050 LED lights I purchased from ebay for $15.00 a set. I have them on my pontoon and on the sides of my slip. I caught a lot of small crappie while using them. I agree they attracted a lot of small bait fish when they were on.

However my neighbor two slips down had the mercury vapor underwater light in his slip. He had a lot of large fish swimming in his light pool. I caught some very nice large mouth bass and white bass from fishing in his light pool. (I have his permission to fish anytime he isn't at the lake)

My green LED lights above the water were not attracting the large fish that his underwater light attracted.

I now have both types of lights. I still am not attracting the large fish he attracts. But I have been reminded that fish are creatures of habit. That given time they will start coming to my underwater light as well.

However I will experiment to see what produces the best results. I will know in a few months whether the green LED lights by themselves are best or whether the mercury vapor underwater light is best. Or if both working together produce the best results.

Last edited by ezgoing; 10/31/13 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9451846 11/03/13 02:55 AM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
I went to Cabelas this morning and bought the set of three Porcupine fish attractor balls. I went to Home Depot and bought some 1/2" gray electrical connector pipe and three tee's.

I cut enough of the pipe to make one Porcupine fish attractor and took it to my slip to assemble. Here is a picture of it.

I cut the pipe to 3.5 feet so the overall size of the ball is seven feet.

I forgot to take a tee with me to hook it to the concrete block. So I will not be placing it into the water until tomorrow. I am going to try and cut enough pipe tomorrow for a second attractor and build it tomorrow afternoon.

I am going to place the first two attractors at the end of the slip, facing the fishing barge. Between my lights and the attractors I hope to convince some of the crappie at the barge to switch homes. smile

I will place the third attractor at the front of slip. After Christmas I will get a couple of Christmas trees to place at the sides of the slip, probably underneath the wood of the sides.

This will allow me to fish them at the sides of my slip and the two adjacent slips.

Last edited by ezgoing; 11/03/13 02:56 AM. Reason: error posting image
Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9451867 11/03/13 03:06 AM
S
Stucky76 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Note to self! LOL

Nice setup man!

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9451928 11/03/13 03:45 AM
C
crappiegetter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Looks sweet WHERE??? lol

Re: Underwater Light In My Slip [Re: ezgoing] #9451987 11/03/13 04:51 AM
E
ezgoing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
E
I thought by now everybody knew I fished Joe Pool and have my pontoon on A dock at Joe Pool Marina.

I have even stated it is the 3rd slip from the end. Anybody is welcome to fish the end of the slip but please don't throw jigs or lures down the side of the pontoon. I don't want that new light broken before the new wears off it. smile

The mercury vapor underwater light is on from 5:00 P.M. till midnight, when the timer turns it off. Have to give the fish some time to sleep. smile

The green LED lights on the sides are not always on. I unplug them when I'm fishing as I think they may make the slip too bright. Then I forget to plug them back in when I leave.

They do look nice when they are on. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide