Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9151973 07/22/13 02:23 AM
H
hcriverrat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Let me ask you, and please answer.

4 years ago I had no clue about anything bass fishing, I don't have a boat, and I only fish ponds. Now I'm good enough to compete with and beat kvd, ike, etc.

How would you respond to that?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: hcriverrat] #9152051 07/22/13 02:37 AM
Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: hcriverrat
Let me ask you, and please answer.

4 years ago I had no clue about anything bass fishing, I don't have a boat, and I only fish ponds. Now I'm good enough to compete with and beat kvd, ike, etc.

How would you respond to that?

If that is what you want to do, and you think you can, then go do it.

Chris Davis | 214-616-5693
chris.davis@usabasstrails.com
Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152074 07/22/13 02:41 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I am all for anyone chasing a dream. I have no clue who the poster is and if he is good or not. If he has that dream then its up to him to make it happen. don't wait on a company to pay your way. make it happen on your own. Anything is possible like I said with hard work and sacrifice. My other points were the misconceptions that the Elite guys are all on free rides or that they have no advanced skill compared to hacks like me. Me personally I am average at best at fishing. never have claimed to be anything else and have zero desire to fish at the elite level. i support those that chase those goals though. I have a ton of posts on here and normally I am on the water as much or more than anyone I know that ain't a guide so in all honesty its hard to judge anyone by what they post or how much they post.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails] #9152150 07/22/13 02:59 AM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: Chris Davis - PTT | BLT | BNB
It's very fitting for this thread.

A pro staffer and a PRO are two very different things. Not everyone is in a position to be a PRO, and being on a pro staff is a really cool deal for a lot of people. Why dog someone for wanting to do something they love to do? How does someone wearing a jersey, or being on a pro staff, or going to a fishing show to promote their sponsor hurt anyone?

It sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Making fun of people is not cool, guys.

I'll tell you exactly what's wrong with it. These so called prostaffers are whoring themselves out for a measly percentage off of a product. This diluting the real sponsorship market.

Chris, here is something you'd relate to. You just started the Platinum Team Trail. You've gotta advertise it and get word out. You want to advertise in the Bassmaster magazine, the Lakecaster and the FLW magazine. All of this costs money out of your pocket. Someone calls you land tells you they own 20 fishing publications and will advertise for you in exchange for a small percentage off of their entry fees. With those 20 publications you can reach as many people as you can with those 3 other magazines. So you're going to do the swap deal with the one person because its cheaper. I don't blame you...I would too. The problem lies in the fact that the 3 TRUE industry magazines suffer because one guy is willing to white himself out for pennies.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: YankHardReelFast] #9152174 07/22/13 03:05 AM
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast

A pro staffer and a PRO are two very different things. Not everyone is in a position to be a PRO, and being on a pro staff is a really cool deal for a lot of people. Why dog someone for wanting to do something they love to do? How does someone wearing a jersey, or being on a pro staff, or going to a fishing show to promote their sponsor hurt anyone?

It sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Making fun of people is not cool, guys.

I'll tell you exactly what's wrong with it. These so called prostaffers are whoring themselves out for a measly percentage off of a product. This diluting the real sponsorship market.

Chris, here is something you'd relate to. You just started the Platinum Team Trail. You've gotta advertise it and get word out. You want to advertise in the Bassmaster magazine, the Lakecaster and the FLW magazine. All of this costs money out of your pocket. Someone calls you land tells you they own 20 fishing publications and will advertise for you in exchange for a small percentage off of their entry fees. With those 20 publications you can reach as many people as you can with those 3 other magazines. So you're going to do the swap deal with the one person because its cheaper. I don't blame you...I would too. The problem lies in the fact that the 3 TRUE industry magazines suffer because one guy is willing to white himself out for pennies.

I see your perspective. At the same time, I think finding the most effective way to get something done is usually the most beneficial, financially at least.

I guess what I don't understand is why people make fun of the guys that do the pro staff thing. I do not believe that if they stopped doing it, then all of a sudden people that would never have gotten sponsorships in the first place will magically start getting them.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: Chris Davis - USAFishingTrails] #9152188 07/22/13 03:11 AM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y

I see your perspective. At the same time, I think finding the most effective way to get something done is usually the most beneficial, financially at least.

I guess what I don't understand is why people make fun of the guys that do the pro staff thing. I do not believe that if they stopped doing it, then all of a sudden people that would never have gotten sponsorships in the first place will magically start getting them.

So if these prostaffers immediately stopped, you don't think guys like Jay Yelas would pick up a few sponsors. (I use Jay because Mark Perry mentioned earlier today that Berkley and Daiwa dropped him). You would have to believe some of te middle of the pack guys would benefit.

It makes for a good conversation but its a scenario we will never know the answer to. So as I thi k we've done before, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. LOL

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: YankHardReelFast] #9152221 07/22/13 03:18 AM
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

So if these prostaffers immediately stopped, you don't think guys like Jay Yelas would pick up a few sponsors. (I use Jay because Mark Perry mentioned earlier today that Berkley and Daiwa dropped him). You would have to believe some of te middle of the pack guys would benefit.

It makes for a good conversation but its a scenario we will never know the answer to. So as I thi k we've done before, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. LOL

No, I think people that deserve it will get it, whether it's a prostaff discount or a $100k endorsement deal. I said that I don't believe people that would normally not get them will start getting them. These companies are doing what they are doing for a reason. It must be beneficial to them in some way, regardless of who likes it or dislikes it.

Brother, you know me. I am always up for a discussion, and being able to disagree is a luxury that I am very happy to be able to have. It beats someone dictating what we can and can't do, say, or think! smile

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152240 07/22/13 03:23 AM
Brent Homan Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
popcorn

AKA "Eagle Eye"

"When you think of the costs it takes to help a Wounded Warrior; think of
the cost it took to make them a Wounded Warrior." -Sonny Fann
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough
to be given a square deal afterwards." -Theodore Roosevelt

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152325 07/22/13 03:53 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
You guys have to look at pro staffing as a try out, so to speak. You do well, you get on the team, you do bad, you get cut. I know they're everywhere, but its free advertisement for the bigger companies. The smaller companies do it to get their name out and can't afford to give away 100k a year to some pros. Do they dilute the sponsorship market, yea, but not as much as you think. Are the videos funny, oh yea, they're hilarious! Not because all pro staff guys are like that but because most of us know one guy that thinks his $#!t doesn't stink because his daddy bought him a new boat and his buddy owns a bait company that gave him a jersey. Guys that respect and earn their deals get respect in turn.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: the skipper] #9152334 07/22/13 03:59 AM
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: the skipper
You guys have to look at pro staffing as a try out, so to speak. You do well, you get on the team, you do bad, you get cut. I know they're everywhere, but its free advertisement for the bigger companies. The smaller companies do it to get their name out and can't afford to give away 100k a year to some pros. Do they dilute the sponsorship market, yea, but not as much as you think. Are the videos funny, oh yea, they're hilarious! Not because all pro staff guys are like that but because most of us know one guy that thinks his $#!t doesn't stink because his daddy bought him a new boat and his buddy owns a bait company that gave him a jersey. Guys that respect and earn their deals get respect in turn.

I understand and agree with the part about someone thinking their "$#!t doesn't stink." There are all kinds with that mentality.

Honestly, though, are you saying that you wouldn't take a boat if someone, especially your dad, bought it for you, and you wouldn't wear a jersey for your friend's bait company if he offered it to you? I would.

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152373 07/22/13 04:15 AM
O
Outlaw2531 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
It is very hard financially to make it pro. Yes those guys are good. The main difference is they take a huge risk financially. I can't do that with my family (2 boys and a wife), but I wouldn't be scared to compete with them. If you are single, go for it. I can't at this point, but if I was wealthy I could. So yes money is a factor if your an old fart like me!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152377 07/22/13 04:18 AM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Chili, if I may. You presented three ideas in your original post.
1. "The good old days, when companies took a chance on people." sorry, but those days never existed. No companies sponsored guys who couldn't fish. Maybe they sponsored guys who were young, and not quite as savvy as to how the game is played, now that, some companies did that and sometimes it paid off in spades. But trust me, they could all fish and were proven anglers.
2. You mentioned that there is "no difference" between an average Joe & a pro angler. I assume you mean a KVD, Takahiro Omori, or Brandon Paulinick? Chili.... Please. Do they have the best equipment? Yes? Did they get out of high school and go straight to the elites and start lifting trophies? Absolutely not. They fished, the drove, they practiced, they failed, and they kept going. They looked "quit" in the eye and said "no, not today" and launched the boat again. These guys slept in tents at state parks, and ate beans out if cans to chase a dream. They busted *ss. I think what incenses some of these guys is your post seems to belittle that. Perhaps that was not your intention, and I am in no way judging you. I'm a joke on the water, as evidenced by 1 fish in 6 hours in Cypress Springs yesterday. But I do know that the guys on the Elites and FLW, etc., many have paid a high price chasing that dream, heck lots of the local sticks have put in similar time, and just can't catch the break needed to go to the next level. Fishing is HARD. Let me give you an example. I was once a scratch golfer. Was considering trying to turn pro, play some mini-tours and see what I could do. Being a scratch golfer is a joke compared to consistently putting 5 in the boat and cashing a big check. In my mind, this is one of the most difficult sports ever to mentally focus and finish strong. You're trying to get a wild animal to cooperate for crying out loud! So Chili, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt here. But please understand, what you're saying to these guys, is offensive. They've been trying for years, because they love it, it's in their blood and they have to try. Even it means failing... Again. But it is NEVER easy. Nothing in life ever really is, is it?
3. You brought up the Pro's vs. Joe's idea. Great idea. Run with it. If that's your dream, then do it! Like Ike says "never give up!".... Wait Ike says "NEVER GIVE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"..... the beats his head against the console of his boat.

Chili, here's my advice to you. Go for it. Big things come from big dreams. If you think you can beat a pro, challenge one. If you think you want a TV show, make one. Go for it! But please know, no-one is just going to give it to you because you decides to post on the TFF. Make YOUR dreams come true. I get told no on a regular basis in my job, if I just take the first time as my answer, me and my family starve. I will never let that happen. No matter what I have to do. NEVER GIVE UP.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: Mark Perry] #9152435 07/22/13 05:37 AM
slshaneus Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
You are also dreaming if you think ALL Elite/FLW pros are getting everything free. There are plenty that are paying for boats, electronics, rods and reels and even baits. Some just get product discounts.Hell the world's biggest bait/gear company(Berkley/Pure Fishing) dropped a ton of BASS/FLW pros from sponsorship in the last year. Those guys at that level are struggling to get "real" deals these days.
If a guy like Jay Yelas with his resume can get dropped by Berkley and Daiwa then what do you realistically think you can do for them that he could not?

I rode with keith combs and brandon palaniuk when they came to orange here as a marshall, I asked them both alot of the same questions and the answers were the same for the most part. i thought these guys were given everything and the truth is they are not they buy everything at a discounted price, now im sure there are free baits and stuff like that. but they pay "cost" for their boats and big ticket items and then at the end of the year if they want to try to sell them for a profit they can, also some have allowances for tackle and equipment. one of the anglers told me he had just sold his boat to a guy pending the season and if it stayed in good shape and he said thats how he makes a little money to order his new boat for the upcoming year ........LMAO i just watched the video, waiting for her to knock him out!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152840 07/22/13 01:40 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
"Professional baseball , basketball , football

They all have auditions for becoming a pro ball player
But lately I have noticed that it is almost impossible to become a bass pro unless you're financially stable to do so"

The Elite Series does have tryouts......Norther, Southern and Central Opens. It doesn't cost a fortune to do it. All in, you might spend $3K per event and there are only 3 of them. If you aren't willing to save and risk $9K to become an Elite angler then why should any company be willing to risk any amount on you either.

The Opens are great events and you don't have to travel too far to fish them AND you get to put your skills to the test against a handful of Elite and FLW anglers. It is the BEST way to get a spot in the Elites and truly understand how your skills stand up against to some of the best around this region....and around the country.

There are two left in the Central Opens and you still have plenty of time to practice. Final payment is due mid August and I am not sure if they are still accepting entries but if you bring a Co Angler in with you your chances will be better.

Send me a PM if you get in and you can follow me up to the Arkansas river for practice....once we get there....you are on your own though. If you want an "audition" to fish with and against the best in the world.....the Opens are it.....come on in!

Re: fishing as a pro for a tournament [Re: chilli31] #9152907 07/22/13 02:01 PM
S
snickers Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Who wins most of the bass opens ?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide