Forums59
Topics1,039,362
Posts13,963,379
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9162 03/05/03 11:56 PM
S
StevenFromTexas Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I'm sure they love you up there in Amarillo Steven. But the water is nice and calm at LOL again.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9163 03/10/03 08:23 PM
L
LL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
It has been one week and there are already people talking about the lanes...
http://www.texasfishingforum.com/.ubb/Forum2/HTML/003337.html

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9164 03/10/03 11:52 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Steven:
I hate to correct you, joemac121, but I think I saw TWO potties. One on the south side of the parking area, and one on the north side of the parking area. I guess another "improvement" was taking out most of the potties that were there last year!

I used the potty on the south side of the parking area. I was afraid I would get a ticket for using it, since there was a handicapped sign on the front door and I didn't have a handicapped license plate. But after exiting, my sense of smell was temporarily gone, so I considered myself handicapped.

I want everyone to know that three ADDITIONAL potties were sitting beside the handicapped marked potty on the south side of the parking area when I was there on Friday, March 7, 2003.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9165 03/11/03 11:00 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by oldboat 03-10-2003 07:21 AM on the topic "Taboo subject...but anyone been doing any good on Alan Henry?":
there were only a few vehicles in the parking lot when i arrived most of which were plainview bass club, but when i got ready to leave about lunch the ramp was full of people, which by the way before you could get six boats launched at once but now they have put down cement dividers in almost the entire length of the ramp and now can only launch five boats at a time. those guys with the motorhomes were catching hell trying to back all the way down that ramp in the lanes they werent much wider than the motor home itself.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9166 03/11/03 11:07 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by ShaneFiedler 03-10-2003 01:29 PM on the topic "Taboo subject...but anyone been doing any good on Alan Henry?":
I agree with you on the concrete dividers. Those things are huge and will only compound the problems. First, it will drastically slow things down. On any given sat. during the summer the line was already out of the parking lot. Second, on the times I took my wife she could back the trailer down, while I remained in the boat. Her backing skills are pretty bad but she got the job done. But now I am sure that I will have to tie up the boat while both of us go fetch the truck. I imagine this will be the same for many people. My wife just doesn't feel comfortable loading the boat. I have kept my mouth shut about the rate increase, because I didn't have a problem with it as long as improvements were being made to better the lake. But these dividers are not an improvement - I am beginning to believe that the city of lubbock is being run by a group of people that do not understand anything about AH and the people it serves.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9167 03/11/03 11:11 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by mike marshall 03-10-2003 04:30 PM on the topic "Taboo subject...but anyone been doing any good on Alan Henry?":
I had the same problem Shane was describing. My partner had minimal experience backing the trailer or loading the boat. The concrete barriers make it difficult for many folks with experience. I had to do both and it takes more time. It is not that hard if one goes slow. I saw a motor home back a boat and he had some trouble. The H2 doesn't have much room either side. I think it would have been better if they would have repainted the stripes for five lanes instead of the original six lanes and left the concrete barriers out of the picture. Then everyone would have plenty of room and loading/unloading would be more efficient.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9168 03/14/03 01:39 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Today, I talked to three more fisherman at the Lake Alan Henry public boat ramp, and none of the three liked the concrete lane dividers. I suggested that the three come to this site and post their opinion. Whether they will or not, I don't know.

I do know that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON I have talked to likes the concrete lane dividers. I simply ask the people what they think of the concrete lane dividers, and after they tell me what they think, I chime in with my negative opinion. So I am not leading the person to make negative comments by making my position known first.

A co-worker of mine told me a local radio station owner was discussing the concrete lane dividers Monday on his radio station, and the radio station owner plans to go to Lake Alan Henry on a busy day to broadcast the responses of people having to deal with the concrete lane divider distraction. That ought to be funny as hell!

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9169 03/15/03 12:55 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Lubbock City Councilman Tom Martin was on a local radio show this morning, and to sum up his response to the concrete lane dividers at Lake Alan Henry, here's a brief recap:

1.) Learn how to back a trailer if you want to use the ramp.

2.) Get over it.

3.) Any other questions on another subject?

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9170 03/15/03 03:27 AM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I don't mind dividers in ramp areas, I just wish the designers didn't use a hatchback and a jet ski trailer to plot em out. I know the loop at Johns Creek on Cooper can get you if your not paying attention and Grand Bayou in LA is completely messed up. Theres no way anything other than a duck boat can make that loop...

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9171 03/17/03 01:19 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
For those of you who use the public boat ramp at Lake Alan Henry, here are two Lubbock City Councilmen involved with Lake Alan Henry. Feel free to tell them how you really feel about the concrete lane dividers:

Gary Boren: gboren@mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us

Tom Martin: tmartin@mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9172 03/17/03 06:00 PM
R
rod Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I personally love the new deviders. They are big and bulky and have those neat sharp edges. Now instead of waiting on the wife to get the trailer, I get to park the boat walk up and get it myself. Then I have to back it down, go around to my boat and load. Looks like they knew what they were doing to me. This neat little added attraction should make the wait to load 3 hrs. instead of 1.5 hrs. I think now that they have made this drastic improvement of the ramp, they will need to add a metal detector at the gate. With all the added wait time and with all the people who haven't bothered to learn any manners at a ramp, there will be some shootings if guns are allowed to slip in.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9173 03/17/03 11:46 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Quote:
Originally posted by rod:
With all the added wait time and with all the people who haven't bothered to learn any manners at a ramp, there will be some shootings if guns are allowed to slip in.

Um, rod, I have already been through that one with the City of Lubbock last year. Contrary to what the signs at Lake Alan Henry say, and contrary to what the brochures say, concealed gun permit holders are allowed to carry legal weapons in their vehicles, for instance, at the public boat ramp.

Plus, I have discussed the matter personally with someone who enforces the law at the lake, and was told there was no legal prohibition for concealed gun permit holders carrying weapons in their vehicles at the public boat ramp.

Sooooooooooooooo, no one better cut in front of me.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9174 03/20/03 05:27 AM
shoalwater18 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My experience in life seems to be that there is always someone smarter who knows better for me. Those lane dividers are no exception. The issue is CONTROL. Who has it, and who doesn't. Perhaps one should point out the issue of liability ( those in CONTROL hate LIABILITY.) IN the manual for control freaks, special emphasis is placed on proper posture and compliance. Check out the dirty looks you get in a parking lot when you park with a trailer across the lines. Most fishermen I know are not real big on becoming silent clones of the system. The State Of Texas has proposed putting cameras on traffic lights in order to ticket red light runners 24 hour a day. Public safety you know. If we could just control your thoughts...What ever you do, don't color outside the lines.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9175 03/22/03 03:31 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I received a reply on 03-16-2003 from Lubbock City Councilman Gary Boren stating that he is attempting to get the city to ". . . change the barriers to something along the line of 'speed bumps' . . . to mark the lanes."

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Re: What's your opinion concerning concrete lane dividers on boat ramps? #9176 03/24/03 10:06 PM
L
LL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
That would be a very nice improvement. Thank goodness Gary is concerned enough to make some changes. Wish the rest of the council was too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide