Forums59
Topics1,042,126
Posts14,012,477
Members144,278
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115087 07/10/13 04:53 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
I suppose I will weigh in since it is on my blog.

You only get one title on a blog post. This story had four days. The Epic Adventure was Day 1, catching a huge Jack and some snapper and Day 2 of hammering the kings. As Bobby eluded, it went to the crapper as soon as he got to Galveston. Thus the near death encounters. Catching 30lb Jacks and huge king fish from a kayak is epic, no? So if the wording of the title made some people upset, that is on me.

The back story to the post is this: Bobby called me and wanted to tell his story. He knew what he did was awful and he told me it was the worst two days of his life. So for those judging whether he is remorseful, he is. He knew what he was sitting on was a lot of great fishing footage from days 1 and 2 and footage of a near death encounter. He didn't want people to make his same mistake. There will be fish videos and a do not do this or you can die video.

So here is what you might not know. This story has produced dozens of conversations through Facebook posts, messages, PMs on TFF, emails, phone calls about people asking what they need for BTB. Most of these people were first timers, planned on going alone or with other first timers and had NO CLUE what to do. They were going in blind before this story.

Bobby told me multiple times, if it saves just one person from dying, it's worth it. He has made himself a pinata. Willingly. Here is the other part of the videos. If you tell someone, you can die if you don't wear your seat belt in your car, they take it but really don't visualize it. If you show someone a car crushed like a beer can and ask if they would survive that, it drives home a point.

There isn't money involved in this. There is no evil intent. The idea is that if you show the fun side and the deadly side of BTB, people will see how scary it can be and hopefully go out only when prepared, in large groups, after training and in ideal conditions.

The ocean has humbled many and I promise you, Bobby is one of them.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115100 07/10/13 04:57 PM
P
PatchesMark Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Well said, PayneFish !

Take someone fishing and make them smile smile
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115149 07/10/13 05:12 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Well spoken Chris.

Last edited by C-Frog; 07/10/13 05:12 PM.
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115342 07/10/13 06:02 PM
J
JRNissley Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Chris,

Nice post. I'm so glad to hear there will be discussion of safety in the videography to come. For me, that's what will have the enduring impact on a lot more people. The conversations that have been going on behind the scenes may have saved the life of someone already, and discussion in the YouTube world can only increase the chances... That's great!

The one question I had, and maybe I should have private messaged you because it might be tangential... Why separate videos? It seems like the safety stuff most frequently ends up in its own video and the excellent fishing footage ends up in its own video. However, the viewership numbers typically aren't the same. I just checked some of the popular yak angler pages on YouTube that I frequent. I compared views for videos named for safety and videos named for other topics. The safety videos tended to be less viewed both around the same month or so of the other videos the producers put out but also overall.

Given that, I wonder why we typically put the safety stuff separate? Now, a few of the YouTube yak anglers I watch do mention safety in most of their videos, but most mention it sparingly or vaguely (or both). I would love to see more times where videos that highlight great fishing also include the reflection on safety specifically and deliberately. I still remember within the last few years a very popular yak angler who had to "encouraged" through YouTube comments to wear a PFD in his videos to encourage safety. I think an integrated approach to teaching safety should be encouraged.

As someone much more savvy on the media side of yak angling than I, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. If you'd rather pm me, that's fine (after I started typing, it occurred to me that may have been better).

Nissley's recommendation for a natural high: kayak fishing

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: JRNissley] #9115378 07/10/13 06:18 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
The typical reasoning behind separate videos is length. Because there is so much footage, the final cut would be 20-30 minutes. Most people won't watch anything more than five minutes. Also, if it is separate, it can be shared specifically as a safety video. An intriguing title could help.A longer video could be very easily produced, I just doubt that as many people would watch it and take away the same message. I am not involved in making the videos but there is a fear I have of mixing fun and fear that would send a mixed message. Just me though. The render and upload times are ridiculously long for 30 minute HD movies onto YouTube as well. Days sometimes. And then if there are problems, you've got to start all over. It will ultimately be Bobby's decision, as it always was, but if you want the most impact, you need to put it into smaller bites, get your point across and be done. A small film could be done and he might look into that combining all the days. I would expect them to be labeled as he had stated here or somewhere else Part 1,2,3 etc also with titles and some subtitles. But again, I'll wait and see like everyone else.

I do appreciate the thoughts and I'll look into what he's thinking about doing. Maybe both?

Last edited by PayneFish; 07/10/13 06:21 PM. Reason: adds
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115428 07/10/13 06:35 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Wow. I'm truly taken aback right now. If you wouldn't mind, now that so many of you have had a chance to gang up on me and bash me, I would appreciate the opportunity to address a few specific things that have been said:

Originally Posted By: Floater
I wonder if he yelled "YOLO" while paddling through the breakers?

"epic" trips have uncontrolled variables that you overcome, not self imposed variables.

If I purposely walk up to a grizzly bear and almost get mauled to death, there is nothing "epic" about it.

When I said epic, I was referring to the entire trip, such as when I paddled 4 miles out to sea and caught some of the biggest fish of my life in a plastic boat. That, to me, was an epic adventure. Hence why the blog post didn't go on to only discuss the accident. Also, when I departed on the first day in Galveston, the conditions were absolutely fine. It was not until I had fought the shark for 45 minutes and been towed a mile that it suddenly changed. Once again, I am trying to depict to people that are new to the sport how quickly things can turn on you.

Originally Posted By: Urban Fisher
Also the fact that the coast guard, helicopters and such got involved...well if you want to put a price on people knowing someone is being stupid (lady with binoculars) and add the cost of the coast guard, helicopter, gas, time and such... That was probably a few thousand dollars they spent and wasted for watching after your stupid thinking [censored]!!!

Also the picture of the helicopter!?!?!..that to me is almost like mocking them for trying to save your life!

First of all, if you think I am the first kayaker to have the coast guard come out on them, you are drastically mistaken. It happens on a weekly basis. I did not call them because I was okay. I must have apologized and thanked them 100 times in the 20 minutes they were there. They assured me every time that I had done absolutely nothing wrong and they were happy to come out.

Also, THEY WERE THE ONES THAT TOLD ME TO GET THE HELICOPTER ON VIDEO. It didn't even cross my mind. They said, and I quote, "You might as well at least get some good footage out of this!" Perhaps before you pass such harsh judgment, you could ask me for some more details and facts, rather than drawing your conclusions from your own incorrect assumptions.

Originally Posted By: Urban Fisher
And the whole blog and video thing...I'm sure when you launched without the plug, your go pros were checked and ready to go. It seems to me that you may have been more worried about getting good shots then checking the basic safety things like a plug in your boat!!

This was my first time in a boat with a drain plug. As I already admitted more than once, that was one of my many mistakes. At the same time, I hear about people making that mistake quite a bit. Yet I have never seen you bash them publicly for it. But while we're all on the bandwagon, why not?

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I would have to think that when he posted the story, he is the one that made it personal.

If you do not see the value in sharing this story, then I really don't even know what to say to you. I have had over a dozen kayakers in the first 2 days message me on Facebook asking me for information and thanking me for posting the story before they tried going BTB. If I have helped even one of them out yet somehow upset you or made you feel the need to bash me, I'll call that a net gain. I suppose the flip side would be for me to keep my pride, not tell anyone about it, and not benefit some of the new guys to the sport. Is that how you're recommending I should have handled this?

Originally Posted By: JRNissley
However, I think there's a great chance for a spin here that could be excellent for your viewership. I don't know if you're already planning to, but it would be awesome to include some narrative in your videos about this trip detailing for others what you would do different next time and why it matters. Be precise, be specific, and potentially save a life.

Thank you, JRNissley. See, once again, if anybody had bothered to ask me for some of these details, they would have found out that on that last day (after my trip failed 10 minutes in), I sat on the beach and narrated the entire trip for the videos. For the last day, I discussed the many stupid mistakes I made and how I almost paid the ultimate price. I have since gone and narrated even more to elaborate.

I've never really seen anything like this. I don't understand how I can sit here and own up to all of my mistakes, yet you all still feel the need to gang up on me. And if you don't think that's what just happened, you're just in denial.

I will definitely remember this the next time I have a learning experience and feel compelled to share it with the community. You guys sit there and basically just repeat the same things I already admitted to doing wrong, all the while calling me a "frat guy yelling YOLO". I'm in utter disbelief right now.

I am envious of all of you that have grown up and never made a mistake in your life. I wonder if when you were in your 20's and made a serious mistake, which I know you ALL have, you tried your hardest to turn that mistake into a way of helping others?

Anyone else who wants to get a few jabs in, please do not hold back. At this point I've heard it all.

I always thought this forum was a place to share experiences, good and bad, for the benefit of spreading knowledge and helping each other out. I guess what I learned in Galveston wasn't the end of this learning experience.

And for those of you who think Neumie's profanity-laden outburst was more beneficial to the kayaking community than me trying to share this story, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I have nothing against Neumie and do not even disagree with what he said, but in my humble opinion there were a million more tactful and CONSTRUCTIVE ways to share that opinion. But to each their own.

I apologize to all of you who I have offended through this ordeal. That was not my intention and I obviously continue to make critical errors in judgment.

Last edited by YAK'N AGGIE; 07/10/13 06:37 PM.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115433 07/10/13 06:36 PM
J
JRNissley Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: PayneFish
The typical reasoning behind separate videos is length. Because there is so much footage, the final cut would be 20-30 minutes. Most people won't watch anything more than five minutes. Also, if it is separate, it can be shared specifically as a safety video. An intriguing title could help.A longer video could be very easily produced, I just doubt that as many people would watch it and take away the same message. I am not involved in making the videos but there is a fear I have of mixing fun and fear that would send a mixed message. Just me though. The render and upload times are ridiculously long for 30 minute HD movies onto YouTube as well. Days sometimes. And then if there are problems, you've got to start all over. It will ultimately be Bobby's decision, as it always was, but if you want the most impact, you need to put it into smaller bites, get your point across and be done. A small film could be done and he might look into that combining all the days. I would expect them to be labeled as he had stated here or somewhere else Part 1,2,3 etc also with titles and some subtitles. But again, I'll wait and see like everyone else.

I do appreciate the thoughts and I'll look into what he's thinking about doing. Maybe both?

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't really thinking of Bobby specifically anymore when I posted that, and it'll be interesting to see what he does. He is a very talented videographer. I was more interested in why thats what everyone does. your insights were helpful for explaining some possible reasons. I'm going to think your post a bit, and I might message you about it later.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: JRNissley] #9115465 07/10/13 06:44 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: JRNissley

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't really thinking of Bobby specifically anymore when I posted that, and it'll be interesting to see what he does. He is a very talented videographer. I was more interested in why thats what everyone does. your insights were helpful for explaining some possible reasons. I'm going to think your post a bit, and I might message you about it later.

No problem. It's got me thinking too. I'd be happy to talk through it and see what comes of it.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115532 07/10/13 07:10 PM
J
JRNissley Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Thanks!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115576 07/10/13 07:24 PM
G
Grease Bath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Bobby, you are a well liked member of the forum/community. Even though your skills as a kayaker and fisherman are relatively unpolished you try your best to put up exciting videos and reports for people to enjoy. I think just about everyone appreciates the fact that you do try hard to promote kayak fishing in a positive light and for that I say thank you. You need to not let what people on the internet or forum say get under your skin so easily. I think highly of you as a person but even I thought your actions in Galveston were highly questionable. I think the way that you shamelessly self-promote your adventure as "epic" when you made a lot of careless decisions is what made a lot of people raise an eyebrow. I would say that if you just appeared more humbled publicly by your bad experiences it would go further to proving how much of a serious lesson you did learn. I look forward to seeing your videos and how you spin the trip of a lifetime with the one that could have cost you yours. When everything is done and you get some free time let's go chase some big bass, striper, or crappie I promise we won't go if it's rough rolfmao fish Keep up the good work AG thumb

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: YakFishField] #9115602 07/10/13 07:30 PM
F
Floater Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

I am envious of all of you that have grown up and never made a mistake in your life.

I did a lot of dumb stuff over the years. And once the people who loved me knew I was OK, I got my fair share of lectures and took it like a man. Aren't you in your mid to late 20's?

You knew people were going to tell you how stupid you were for going out in a new kayak, into the gulf with no experience, and SOLO. And then we are supposed to sit back and "Ooooooooooh" and "ahhhhhhh" over your story? Give me a break.

Would you go skydiving solo with a new chute and zero experience? Would you pick up a rattlesnake on a solo hike with no experience? Would you hop on a motorcycle and race up pikes peak with zero experience? Then why would you venture BTB in a new yak with ZERO experience. Yeah, you acted like a moron. A lucky moron but a moron none the less.

You're also getting pretty bent out of shape over the back lash. If your skin is that thin, you may want to consider not blogging and posting videos because the interweb is full of not-so-nice people.

Hopefully people will see this story for what it is, A POTENTIAL DARWIN AWARD CANDIDATE. And hopefully other yak newbies won't try to emulate your trip.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115611 07/10/13 07:32 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Bobby, +1 on GB's comment above.

In addition, don't ever let yourself get into a position where you feel you MUST provide a great video/fishing adventure report either for personal reasons, a website, sponsors, promoters or even to satisfy peer pressure. I'm not saying that is the case in your situation so take it as it is meant - something to consider and ensure this does not become your motivation. Keep the good work coming.....I can speak for most when I say we greatly have enjoyed your work to date.

Now, do you have those reels cleaned up? smile

Last edited by FishAll50; 07/10/13 07:32 PM.
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115704 07/10/13 07:58 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Well I'm quoted the most as the "bad" poster. That is just fine with me! Yak'n Aggie, if there was a chance to go yaking and fishing with you...I would do it in a heart beat!! I have no ill feelings towards you in any way.

I have a wierd job where I get paid to tell the truth! My boss keeps me around because they know I can be harsh as hell, but it's all good for what needs to be accomplished. I am not known for being soft or sugar coating anything! So I guess that mentality goes with me wherever I go.

If I didn't care I would have never posted any of the stuff I did! My bashings is a blessing because thankfully your are still around to read it!! I am much older than you and like I said, I guess it was the father in me that took over. I have a kid 2 years younger than you and if I saw him getting into a situation like that...hell yeah I would get on his a$$!!! But I'm not doing it to be mean or degrade him...I'm doing it because I care!

Lessons learned and life goes on. Had this been anyone else...I would have posted the same way. I know how exciting it can be to plan big trips like that and get VERY excited about the whole adventure...just let this be a lesson to remind yourself that no matter how exciting things can be...don't forget about common sense when it comes to your safety!

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9115922 07/10/13 08:43 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
I appreciate that, Urban. I guess I just care about my reputation with all of you guys and when I felt like my character was being attacked I got defensive.

This community is the single biggest reason I got into this sport, and to feel like it was turning on me when I thought it was undeserved did get under my skin.

I know the internet is full of jerks, but I consider this whole forum my extended family (okay, most of it rolfmao) and take what you all say to heart. Can't help it.

I still believe that something very positive can come out of this, and am not going to let the haters get in between me and accomplishing that. For any of you who remain offended, feel free to ignore the videos when they get posted. You will not hurt my feelings by not watching.

FishAll50, the reels have been cleaned with a tooth brush and I am already itching to get back on the water. Might try to chase some striper this weekend... PENDING THE WEATHER. rolfmao noidea

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9116098 07/10/13 09:24 PM
F
Floater Offline
Angler
Angler
F
No one is offended by your antics. Most people just think you acted like a bonehead.

Good luck in all of your future fishing adventures. I hope your "epic" videos bring you tons of youtube views.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide