Forums59
Topics1,042,559
Posts14,019,980
Members144,289
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: Cap'n Dave] #9110402 07/09/13 04:05 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I made the conscious decision to paddle through a squall a few years ago. Stayed offshore too long, watched it forming and mistimed heading in. I'm only a quarter mile from inlet with two TowBoat US boats watching my approach. I always thought I could paddle through one. I don't know how long it lasted but it couldn't have been more than 10 minutes of pure fury. Had waves breaking into my lap, couldn't see the bow of my kayak. Had sunscreen and saltwater in my eyes. Gave up on making it in and just pointed bow into waves and concentrated into staying upright. I was at point of total exhaustion when it finally passed and I was unsure where I was. Got blown backwards across the ship channel and a quarter mile down the beach.

AggieYak was lucky he is young, an older fart might not have been able to get that kayak turned back over. Always carry a section of heavy soft rope in case you have to tie yourself to kayak. There are circumstances where its better saving your energy while in the water vs trying to paddle it out. Also advise to learn how to swim with a paddle. It can be a lifesaver plus you can use it to signal with. Brightly colored blades held up while in the water is a winner.

And one more tip, position the kayak beam to waves/wind to help flip back over and position bow into waves to reboard.

Last edited by lconn4; 07/09/13 04:12 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9110502 07/09/13 05:03 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: PayneFish
Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Get an EPIRB if you're going to do that again.

Do you have one you'd recommend? I have heard about the SPOT but not sure if it does the same thing. Sorry to go side tracked but this might prove helpful.

I wouldn't trust a SPOT. This is who I deal with. http://epirbstore.com/

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: 79scooter] #9110943 07/09/13 01:33 PM
Y
YakinJoe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: 79scooter
what an IDIOT!

The guy swallows his pride enough to share this and this is your response??!!

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: christian myrick] #9110954 07/09/13 01:34 PM
Y
YakinJoe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
what an IDIOT!

Not an idiot at all. He is a great dude welcome to fish in our squad any time. It shows the level of commitment he has. No one has done anything without making a few mistakes. If you have you aren't doing enough.
cheers

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: lconn4] #9111378 07/09/13 03:37 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: lconn4
Always carry a section of heavy soft rope in case you have to tie yourself to kayak. There are circumstances where its better saving your energy while in the water vs trying to paddle it out. Also advise to learn how to swim with a paddle. It can be a lifesaver plus you can use it to signal with. Brightly colored blades held up while in the water is a winner.

And one more tip, position the kayak beam to waves/wind to help flip back over and position bow into waves to reboard.

This is some great advice. I will remember that.

I've had more than one person so far tell me that they tie themselves to their kayak when off-shore in case of capsizing so they don't get separated from the boat. I had thought about doing that before departing that day, but my main concern was getting tangled in the rope if I flipped and injuring myself. What is everyone's thought on that? Has anyone done that and flipped? Did it help? Hurt?

I definitely don't want to lose my kayak, but I also don't want to get tangled in rope and dragged underwater by my kayak as it drifts in the wind/current...

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9111467 07/09/13 04:07 PM
Carver Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Great report ! Thanks for sharing it. REALLY glad it turned out OK.

I made a (logged on gps) 15.2 mile trip one day in a direction I really did not want to go because of a very wrong weather report. It was the first time I had ever surfed in my Hobie Outback. I strapped myself to my yak with a long tether when I figured out I could not fight the 45+ mph wind (over twice as strong and 180 degrees from the forecast direction) and turned my back to it knowing there was land far away in the distance. I made it with swells and breakers far higher than my head without capsizing until beaching, but did look like a drowned rat the entire trip. A gracious fisherman gave me and the Hobie a ride back to my truck while in total disbelief where I had launched from.

When you prepare it is still good to plan on the worst every trip.

Again, great report and thanks for sharing it with us. I look forward to the video for sure.

Phill

Phill Pittman

www.dallascnc.com new website for product development

www.mariner-kayaks.com Best kayak source in Texas
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9111471 07/09/13 04:08 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Poop can happen really fast.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9111630 07/09/13 04:54 PM
G
gutcheck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I realize that I don't live down there so it's easy for me to say this but it seems like BTB is something that you should not do alone unless the conditions are pretty much perfect or you have lots of experience.

A couple summers back on Lake Fork I got caught in what I later learned was a derecho, which is a severe straight-line windstorm. I had been watching a very large wall cloud approach from the northwest for about an hour but guess what? The bite was INSANELY good for that 30 minutes before it got on top of me, so I stayed out. I was only about 1/2 a mile from the ramp, and in a cove, and figured I could make it back before it got rough. When it hit, wind speeds went went from 3 mph to what I later learned was no less than 85 mph in less than a minute. It was crazy. I was blown through the timber about 60 yards in no time flat. My large blade paddle was no more effective than a long toothpick and luckily it blew me into shore and I didn't capsize in the trees. I can't imagine what would've happened if the wind direction had been blowing me offshore. I found shelter under a dock that was out of water and had to tie the kayak to it because the winds were trying to pick it up. Horizontal sleet (this was June), massive webs of lightning, and 4-5 foot swells developed and and started smashing the shore line. The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes then everything abruptly returned to calm. Very strange.

I learned that day that if things look bad in the distance, GET OFF THE WATER! Glad that this experience was like mine that day: just a scary lesson learned and nothing more.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9111825 07/09/13 05:46 PM
T
The Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Happened to me in Nam!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: YakFishField] #9112238 07/09/13 07:54 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE
Originally Posted By: lconn4
Always carry a section of heavy soft rope in case you have to tie yourself to kayak. There are circumstances where its better saving your energy while in the water vs trying to paddle it out. Also advise to learn how to swim with a paddle. It can be a lifesaver plus you can use it to signal with. Brightly colored blades held up while in the water is a winner.

This is some great advice. I will remember that.

I've had more than one person so far tell me that they tie themselves to their kayak when off-shore in case of capsizing so they don't get separated from the boat. I had thought about doing that before departing that day, but my main concern was getting tangled in the rope if I flipped and injuring myself. What is everyone's thought on that? Has anyone done that and flipped? Did it help? Hurt?

I definitely don't want to lose my kayak, but I also don't want to get tangled in rope and dragged underwater by my kayak as it drifts in the wind/current...

Make sure if you do tie yourself off to your yak its outside the surf zone. Its good to put a wine cork on the end of your hooks also. I've seen 20/0 circles in legs before...not pretty.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: YakinJoe] #9112282 07/09/13 08:14 PM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: YakinJoe
what an IDIOT!

The guy swallows his pride enough to share this and this is your response??!!

Telling the story makes it no less idiotic. Taking a New kayak out for its first trip on a BTB trip... Not a good idea. Taking a new kayak on its first trip on your 2nd BTB trip ever even worse idea. Taking a new kayak out for its first trip on a BTB trip that is only your 2nd time to go BTB and do it alone... I'm sorry, but that's idiotic. Oh, and to go again the next day after you had the experience that you had the day before...

I'm thankful he made it, and good for Bobby for telling his story. Surly someone will see the error if his ways. I guarantee he won't make the same mistake twice. I would have thought that a new kayak would have been ATLEAST test driven in a lake for a short time to get a feel for it. Don't tell me that all kayaks feel the same, bc they don't. Just bc its a Hobbie doesn't mean it's unsinkable.

So, Yakjoe... Yeah that's how I respond. I doubt that adter swallowing his pride that Bobby felt any better about his decisions.

Bobby, glad your safe and I know your a great guy. You can yak with my squad anytime too. Just be more careful next time.

Glad to see you wearing your life vest

Ps.
Can't wait to see the video

Last edited by 79scooter; 07/09/13 08:16 PM.

Formerly known as Scooter79

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: 79scooter] #9112652 07/09/13 10:44 PM
F
Floater Offline
Angler
Angler
F
One other lesson that's probably best not learned the hard way: them teeth and that hook are a little close to your arm.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113109 07/10/13 01:04 AM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Great story with a happy ending but more importantly, an intersting post. Although I didnt get to read his comments, I know Neumie (Josh) got banned for two weeks for flaming Bobby about his trip. For those who dont know Josh, he is arguably one of the most experienced kayak anglers on this forum and, believe it or not, is a pretty good guy who will always give you the full benefit of his brutally unfiltered opinions. He has zero tact, mind you, but he does possess a wealth of knowledge about this sport, and I consider him a subject matter expert on the topic of kayak fishing, especially in saltwater.

That said, I think that what set Josh off was not so much the stupid decisions that Bobby made on those fateful days (which even Bobby acknowledges), but what Josh perceived as Bobbys shameless self-promotion after making those stupid decisions. Using terms like epic adventure and wait till the video comes out probably led Josh to this conclusion. And that led to the aforementioned unfiltered opinions which got him banned. The irony, I think, is that Bobby probably didnt come up with the term epic adventure. This is Chris Paynes post, and so I am assuming Chris did. Like I said: an interesting post indeed.

For the record, I have a blog as does Chris, and I shamelessly promote my blog too, so Im not throwing stones; Im just making some observations. I have a lot of respect for Chris work and have cited him a couple of times. But we need to understand that some people might consider our reporting of survival stories like this one as glorifying the stupidity, and in doing so, dispensing more harm than good. But as always, I could be wrong.

Anyway, Im glad Bobby lived to tell the tale. After seeing his other stories and videos, I think hes a rising star in the Texas kayak angling community and Im looking forward to some good fish tales from him in the future. I would really hate to see him kill himself by being stupid. Even worse, I would hate to see someoen else kill himself by emulating Bobby.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113142 07/10/13 01:13 AM
R
RoboCop Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Riveting story. This reaffirms many things I already thought about going BTB. I like redfish bay a lot, I'll just stick to that smile no sharks for me. Good information in this story.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: B_Rod] #9113316 07/10/13 01:51 AM
F
Floater Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: B_Rod
Josh perceived as Bobbys shameless self-promotion after making those stupid decisions. Using terms like epic adventure and wait till the video comes out probably led Josh to this conclusion.

Bingo. He definitely doesn't come across as humbled by the experience. Whether he meant it this way or not, it comes across more as a frat guy after a "hold my beer and watch this" experience.

I wonder if he yelled "YOLO" while paddling through the breakers?

"epic" trips have uncontrolled variables that you overcome, not self imposed variables.

If I purposely walk up to a grizzly bear and almost get mauled to death, there is nothing "epic" about it.

If I'm gardening in my back yard and fend off a grizzly with a rake, that's an "epic" experience.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide