Forums59
Topics1,040,478
Posts13,982,249
Members144,238
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: Poorboy21] #8775209 04/01/13 02:22 PM
M
MrRoachie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: Poorboy21
It's hard enough that even the fishermen on this site can't agree on what species it is!

But someone has an opinion and the other person is right! Which one is which?

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8778337 04/02/13 03:54 AM
C
crawdaddct Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Its obviouse the peir owners dont care, so hopefully the GW will do something about it. I called the GW a couple of years ago on some guys poaching stone crabs. Its obviouse where these pics were taken, so reporting it is good.

I will say though sometimes people jump the gun and start accusing people without knowing all the facts or with incomplete pictures. That why I have stopped posting photos of my catches and hunting kills. People always jump to conclustion. I posted a pic one time with 3 30" reds. They were not tagged, but they were caught in LA by myself and my boys. Totally legal. I didnt realize I needed to give my life history to strangers. People started calling me a poacher and threatening to call the GW. Go ahead, nut jobs.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8778412 04/02/13 04:19 AM
61stpier Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Hey everyone, 61st Street Pier here, just wanting to chime in with a few thoughts on your discussion. First off, I was wondering if any of the commenters had ever been to the pier? It seems as if you have made many assumptions about how things are at the pier, but have no real knowledge as to what things are like there. I think they call that prejudice.

Originally Posted By: HuntinForTail
These pictures are taken by the employees of the pier and then proudly displayed on their Facebook page!

If we were proudly displaying acts of poaching, we would say something like "Congrats! Another one of those protected sand bar sharks!! Kill 'em all!!" or maybe "Take that TPWD! No tag on that red!! Ha ha ha" in the comments. In actuality, the pictures are displayed just as every other picture. Our employees typically are busy inside working, but occasionally are able to make it out to the pier to take a picture or two. Clearly, there has been some dispute between you hardened fishermen as to the proper identification of the shark in question, yet you expect all employees on the pier to be an ichthyologist. I agree, poaching does take place on the pier, is it something we like or promote, no. Is it possible to monitor every person who catches anything on the pier at any time, no.

There are literally countless poaching violations.

We have approximately 1500 pictures on our facebook page, I would guess(not having looked through every one), that at the most there are 25 pictures that are questionable. That is about 2% of our pictures. What about the other 1475 pictures of people catching legal sized and species fish or just having fun fishing in the outdoors? The pictures are hardly countless. On another note, the majority of these pictures show little to no context of what the actual situation is. A cooler with more than one bull red? Maybe it is more than one fisherman. An undersized shark? Did it die before it could be released?

Originally Posted By: K5RCD
Texas Game Wardens are constantly complaining that they lack funding for fuel to patrol the waterways by boat. So how about they take an occasional drive to the piers and write multiple citations to make examples of the violators?

The game wardens do come out to the pier, and sometimes we call them out ourselves, the are welcome here at any time. Rarely are citations written on the pier because, for the most part, everyone is in compliance, despite your assumptions. We even have other anglers on the pier call the warden on people who are blatantly poaching or breaking rules. I welcome that as well. It seems as if you all think that nobody on the pier really cares. You are all wrong.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Starr

They could very easily post signs, or have someone walk a trip up and down once in a while. I'm sure the game warden doesn't go there BECAUSE HE GETS A BOAT AND CAN GO ANYWHERE HE WANTS. Why would he waste his time on a hot crowded pier where people would just hate him.

Joseph, you say I am ignorant, but you are not clear as to what I am ignorant of. Could you please elaborate? Your statement above, shows your ignorance pretty clearly. We do have signs posted for fish identification as well as size and bag limits. We also hand write the page number on the front of the TPWD booklet that has fish bag and size limits and hand it out to anyone who asks about fish identification. We have two cases of them right now. You would know that if you had ever been to the pier before. Most wardens do not have a boat, if they are lucky, they get themselves a green or white truck. And, like I said previously, the wardens do come out, sometimes on their own, sometimes because we call them, sometimes because another angler calls them.
They could hire someone who sits in a booth or actively walks up and down the pier to help educate the public. They could put a positive conservation approach on the whole thing. There are tons of marine biology students at ATM Galveston that I'm sure would take the job for minimum wage.

Let's do a little math here. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25, we are open 24/7. So, (24*365)7.25= $63,510 per year. This is not including insurance, workers comp, etc. Even at half the time, that is a lot of money. We are a fishing pier, not a yacht club. I invite any of you to come out to the pier to educate and inform our patrons at any time. Really. I mean it. If you come out to educate, i'll let you out for free.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for my website around this time last year. Hopefully this helps anyone who might want some help IDing sharks. I wrote it for pretty much the same reason as the stuff we see here. I saw a lot of people poaching sharks on accident because of mis-identification or lack of even trying.

http://lostboysblog.com/2012/08/12/sharkid/

Chris, that is a good article, I believe that I even commended you on our facebook page for taking action and not just whining and complaining about something and never actually doing anything, like many do. I even re-posted your blog entry for all of our facebook people to read.

UPDATE: The game warden said that the pier can be cited also since they are charging people to fish on it. I wonder if they are going to be getting a handful of tickets.

Like most have said previously, the fishing is the responsibility of the person doing the fishing. The pier does not make them, nor promote or condone any type of poaching. We are not responsible for others actions. We are not even responsible for educating them, although we try our best with our booklets, posters, and employees. Its like you see a picture of a Ford crashed on the side of the road and you fault Ford for not properly teaching the driver how to drive a vehicle. BTW, yes a warden has been out to the pier since you started all of this Chris, and no, no citations were given to either the pier or anyone on the pier. I do doubt that they came out because of you.

Lastly, I would just like to note, that Joseph Starr, while attempting to organize a protest at our pier, had been planning a trip to another pier on this forum. And Chris aka Huntinfortail likes another pier on his "Lost Boys" facebook page even though he clearly speaks of his disdain for piers in general. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

The only reason you do not see pictures like the ones you see on our pier at other piers is because they dont take pictures or rarely take pictures. This type of misidentification happens state wide and it is all of our duty to do our best to educate those around us as to the right and wrong things to do with fish and sharks. I am certain that I personally and the staff at the pier have educated and will continue to educate far more people than all of you combined. Im sure you will find fault in some or all of the things I have said, I merely wanted to set the record straight from the pier's side and not have you all bash us when you clearly dont even have a clue as to what it is like on the pier.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: crawdaddct] #8778416 04/02/13 04:21 AM
N
nolte_martin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: crawdaddct
Its obviouse the peir owners dont care, so hopefully the GW will do something about it. I called the GW a couple of years ago on some guys poaching stone crabs. Its obviouse where these pics were taken, so reporting it is good.

I will say though sometimes people jump the gun and start accusing people without knowing all the facts or with incomplete pictures. That why I have stopped posting photos of my catches and hunting kills. People always jump to conclustion. I posted a pic one time with 3 30" reds. They were not tagged, but they were caught in LA by myself and my boys. Totally legal. I didnt realize I needed to give my life history to strangers. People started calling me a poacher and threatening to call the GW. Go ahead, nut jobs.

its alittle different when the pictures were taken from the pier that is in tx

marine mechanic at lake tyler if you need any work done
(786)387-9610
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8778805 04/02/13 12:03 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
@ 61st st pier-

I don't fish piers, but I will say it takes 1 hell of a stand-up person to come here & defend themselves & their business the way you have, & I for one appreciate it.
I also understand the associated costs with having a dedicated "supervisor", but again, we are all stewards of our environment. If your business is dependent on a natural resource,
You & your employees have a responsiblity to the resource & Texas
game laws, period.
There have been a LOT of assumptions on this thread, as there always are, but I'd bet it's made you aware enough to keep a
handle on it (poaching)
thanks again for coming on here & giving us another point of view.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8779196 04/02/13 01:57 PM
H
HuntinForTail Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
61st Street Pier, I agree with lite liner. It says a lot that you came here to give your side of the events.

The purpose of me starting this topic here wasn't to launch a full out assault on the 61st street pier or fishing piers in general, but more to discuss possible solutions for fixing these problems (hence the name of the topic and the nature of my first post).

The reason so many people got aggravated about this had to do with the initial response on facebook, where yall claimed that posting posters with regulations is doing enough of your part and that you would not take down the pictures because you felt they educated the public on anti-poaching.

I know that there is a challenge that yall will face as business owners of a pier when it comes to helping keep customers in compliance. I feel like there is more that you can do than say that you have some posters up and beyond that you hold no responsibility. You're right hiring a part time educator 24/7 might not be financially feasible, but maybe 8 hours a day on the weekends? Maybe just educate the existing employees to identify some of the more common species...

Everyone is right, a sandbar can be a difficult shark to identify, especially as a juvenile. But, it is clearly not a blacktip, bonnet head, or sharpnose, which are the only 3 species that can be kept at that length. Any other shark would have to be over 64" or a protected species.

When someone can sift through the first 100 or so photos and find 10 or so violations it looks bad for the pier and it looks bad for Galveston.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: Joseph Starr] #8780122 04/02/13 05:42 PM
M
machoqueso Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
...and often throw fish back if I cant identify them...

That's always been my rule, admittedly I don't know my species well. Figure its cheaper just to take a pic and research it later, versus getting busted with something you shouldn't have.

-Jason-
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8873615 04/28/13 02:17 AM
S
Squirrellman Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I visited 61st for the first time today and it was nothing but positive. Great folks behind the counter. Great people on the pier who followed rules.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: Poorboy21] #8873864 04/28/13 03:50 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Poorboy21
It's hard enough that even the fishermen on this site can't agree on what species it is!

Then be smart and don't keep it.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8875318 04/28/13 09:05 PM
J
Joseph Starr Offline
Angler
Angler
J
61st, I also appreciate you coming on to discuss as well. I believe my statement of ignorance, was of ignorance to the situation at hand.

My reason for protest of your pier is simple, I believe what you are/were doing is wrong. I also believe your theory for leaving the pictures up was wrong as well. I don't claim to hate pier fishing at all, but was simply against fishing of piers that allow and publish pictures of this happening.

Clearly you have taken an interest in the situation, and I think that is all any of us wanted to to happen. I respect what you do, and the business that you run and applaud you for doing so. If it were not for business people like you, obviously their would be no pier fishing.

I'm sorry that our comments offended you, I certainly did not mean anything personally, and I don't believe your pier is the only one.

Happy fishing!
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: 61stpier] #8938891 05/16/13 04:31 PM
F
fatboy-john Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F

Hey 61st.

Unlike others here, I have personally been on your pier many times, and have witnessed game law violations. I have reported it to your staff members and have been told more than once that "I" should call TPWD. I DID.

Ill bottom line this for everyone on this forum..... My belief is that the staff at 61st have 1 main concern, the money they get from the patrons....the states game and fish laws, they come later, much later. Again, I personally have been to your pier, I personally have seen game violations, and I personally have reported the violators to both your staff and to OPERATION GAME THIEF, I personally have spoken to the staff who show no concern for our states game laws, and I personally will never give you or your pier another dime.

THERE. No assumptions, no prejudice, been there, seen it, done it.

Now, instead of trying to defend your "2%" what you should do, and would if your any kind of business man who cares about his industry, is start putting out the effort on your pier to police your patrons and inform them on the laws of the state, even going so far as actively reporting those who break the statutes rather than making excuses for them.

Originally Posted By: 61stpier
Hey everyone, 61st Street Pier here, just wanting to chime in with a few thoughts on your discussion. First off, I was wondering if any of the commenters had ever been to the pier? It seems as if you have made many assumptions about how things are at the pier, but have no real knowledge as to what things are like there. I think they call that prejudice.

These pictures are taken by the employees of the pier and then proudly displayed on their Facebook page!

If we were proudly displaying acts of poaching, we would say something like "Congrats! Another one of those protected sand bar sharks!! Kill 'em all!!" or maybe "Take that TPWD! No tag on that red!! Ha ha ha" in the comments. In actuality, the pictures are displayed just as every other picture. Our employees typically are busy inside working, but occasionally are able to make it out to the pier to take a picture or two. Clearly, there has been some dispute between you hardened fishermen as to the proper identification of the shark in question, yet you expect all employees on the pier to be an ichthyologist. I agree, poaching does take place on the pier, is it something we like or promote, no. Is it possible to monitor every person who catches anything on the pier at any time, no.

There are literally countless poaching violations.

We have approximately 1500 pictures on our facebook page, I would guess(not having looked through every one), that at the most there are 25 pictures that are questionable. That is about 2% of our pictures. What about the other 1475 pictures of people catching legal sized and species fish or just having fun fishing in the outdoors? The pictures are hardly countless. On another note, the majority of these pictures show little to no context of what the actual situation is. A cooler with more than one bull red? Maybe it is more than one fisherman. An undersized shark? Did it die before it could be released?

Originally Posted By: K5RCD
Texas Game Wardens are constantly complaining that they lack funding for fuel to patrol the waterways by boat. So how about they take an occasional drive to the piers and write multiple citations to make examples of the violators?

The game wardens do come out to the pier, and sometimes we call them out ourselves, the are welcome here at any time. Rarely are citations written on the pier because, for the most part, everyone is in compliance, despite your assumptions. We even have other anglers on the pier call the warden on people who are blatantly poaching or breaking rules. I welcome that as well. It seems as if you all think that nobody on the pier really cares. You are all wrong.

They could very easily post signs, or have someone walk a trip up and down once in a while. I'm sure the game warden doesn't go there BECAUSE HE GETS A BOAT AND CAN GO ANYWHERE HE WANTS. Why would he waste his time on a hot crowded pier where people would just hate him.

Joseph, you say I am ignorant, but you are not clear as to what I am ignorant of. Could you please elaborate? Your statement above, shows your ignorance pretty clearly. We do have signs posted for fish identification as well as size and bag limits. We also hand write the page number on the front of the TPWD booklet that has fish bag and size limits and hand it out to anyone who asks about fish identification. We have two cases of them right now. You would know that if you had ever been to the pier before. Most wardens do not have a boat, if they are lucky, they get themselves a green or white truck. And, like I said previously, the wardens do come out, sometimes on their own, sometimes because we call them, sometimes because another angler calls them.
They could hire someone who sits in a booth or actively walks up and down the pier to help educate the public. They could put a positive conservation approach on the whole thing. There are tons of marine biology students at ATM Galveston that I'm sure would take the job for minimum wage.

Let's do a little math here. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25, we are open 24/7. So, (24*365)7.25= $63,510 per year. This is not including insurance, workers comp, etc. Even at half the time, that is a lot of money. We are a fishing pier, not a yacht club. I invite any of you to come out to the pier to educate and inform our patrons at any time. Really. I mean it. If you come out to educate, i'll let you out for free.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for my website around this time last year. Hopefully this helps anyone who might want some help IDing sharks. I wrote it for pretty much the same reason as the stuff we see here. I saw a lot of people poaching sharks on accident because of mis-identification or lack of even trying.

http://lostboysblog.com/2012/08/12/sharkid/

Chris, that is a good article, I believe that I even commended you on our facebook page for taking action and not just whining and complaining about something and never actually doing anything, like many do. I even re-posted your blog entry for all of our facebook people to read.

UPDATE: The game warden said that the pier can be cited also since they are charging people to fish on it. I wonder if they are going to be getting a handful of tickets.

Like most have said previously, the fishing is the responsibility of the person doing the fishing. The pier does not make them, nor promote or condone any type of poaching. We are not responsible for others actions. We are not even responsible for educating them, although we try our best with our booklets, posters, and employees. Its like you see a picture of a Ford crashed on the side of the road and you fault Ford for not properly teaching the driver how to drive a vehicle. BTW, yes a warden has been out to the pier since you started all of this Chris, and no, no citations were given to either the pier or anyone on the pier. I do doubt that they came out because of you.

Lastly, I would just like to note, that Joseph Starr, while attempting to organize a protest at our pier, had been planning a trip to another pier on this forum. And Chris aka Huntinfortail likes another pier on his "Lost Boys" facebook page even though he clearly speaks of his disdain for piers in general. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

The only reason you do not see pictures like the ones you see on our pier at other piers is because they dont take pictures or rarely take pictures. This type of misidentification happens state wide and it is all of our duty to do our best to educate those around us as to the right and wrong things to do with fish and sharks. I am certain that I personally and the staff at the pier have educated and will continue to educate far more people than all of you combined. Im sure you will find fault in some or all of the things I have said, I merely wanted to set the record straight from the pier's side and not have you all bash us when you clearly dont even have a clue as to what it is like on the pier.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8974171 05/27/13 01:39 AM
F
fatboy-john Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
If any of you are interested, on the FB page for 61st, there are over a dozen pics taken this last week of people with bull reds and sharks. NOT 1 TAG ON ANY OF THE REDS. The sharks, for the most part...Ill leave to your decision as to whether or not they are legal.

Look, I know that calling people out for doing wrong is distasteful for many, but the bottom line here, is that the staff of 61st are allowing numerous violations to occur on their pier with no desire to fix it. I can say that, because they defend their patrons rather than correct them.

If we, the law biding citizens of this State, do not take time and make effort to FORCE the owners and staff into compliance with the states laws.....who will? Wardens are stretched thin and cant be everywhere at once, and the patrons and staff of the pier have made it clear.....IF NO OFFICER IS PRESENT, NO CRIME IS COMMITTED....read the entries listed on their own site.....see for yourself.

I think its time that we all do out civic duty and begin a massive PR push against the pier and the idea that laws do not apply to their patrons. I am NOT calling for anykind of violence nor am I saying that we should take law into our own hands.....but we can start writing our local law enforcement officers, the mayor of Galveston, we can ask that wardens be scheduled to visit the piers daily for checks on liscense's and bag's.....and we can flood their FB page with posts of how what they do is wrong.

If a "bar" serves drinks to a drunk, they can be held legally responsible for what happens....if a night club has patrons dealing drugs or breaking laws, that club can be closed and the owners fined.....I think it is high time that the owners and staff of public fishing piers also be held accountable for what happens on their piers. They make money allowing others to trespass onto their property for the purpose of catching fish, they should then be held accountable for the actions or in-actions of said people.

I am personally going to contact the TPWD this week about this issue. But 1 lone voice does little. If you believe that we all share in the burden of responsable fisheries management, and that no one person should be allowed to poach, take more than their share, or kill protected species....Then I ask that you too call the TPWD and report the flagrant and numerous violations of the patrons at 61st. Remember this, it is not wrong to report someone for breaking the law, it is the law.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: 61stpier] #8974325 05/27/13 02:30 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: 61stpier

Sounds like a stand-up offer there. Maybe a few of us TFFers could organize to spend a four day weekend this summer camped out at Galveston State park, pier-fishing & helping to educate the patrons of 61st street pier? Could very well be win-win if we approach other fishermen in a positive way.

Those who feel strongly about this would then be in a position to call a GW immediately when someone was keeping prohibited species, even after being informed.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: HuntinForTail] #8997569 06/03/13 04:41 AM
F
fatboy-john Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
If anyone cares about our game laws, like a few of us do; please, go to the FB page of 61st pier, and see the dozens of pictures of untagged , oversized redfish, undersized sharks, undersized gamefish, and protected species like turtles, and sandbar sharks that these people are slaughtering.

We truly need to start a letter writing campaign to the TPWD and the National Fisheries dept. to shutdown and or fine the owners and management of this pier; they clearly take NO responsability or measure to enforce the states game laws.

Re: Fishing Pier Poachin How can we fix this? [Re: fatboy-john] #8997627 06/03/13 05:33 AM
D
Day0ne Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: fatboy-john
If anyone cares about our game laws, like a few of us do; please, go to the FB page of 61st pier, and see the dozens of pictures of untagged , oversized redfish, undersized sharks, undersized gamefish, and protected species like turtles, and sandbar sharks that these people are slaughtering.

We truly need to start a letter writing campaign to the TPWD and the National Fisheries dept. to shutdown and or fine the owners and management of this pier; they clearly take NO responsability or measure to enforce the states game laws.

Just because you don't see a tag, doesn't mean the person catching the fish doesn't have one. Sorry, that's not proof of anything. I don't tag my fish before a picture. As far as size, yes there are some questionable sharks but there is no way to rell if they were thrown back after the picture. I also saw no turtles. The main point, however, is the individual fisherman is responsible for obeying the laws, not the pier. The pier isn't catching the fish. Your examples of bars and clubs don't hold water, since they are completely different situations. The best thing I can tell you is to avoid the piers if they upset you so much.

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide