Forums59
Topics1,040,106
Posts13,975,691
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: CityByTheSeaCitizen] #7952867 09/04/12 02:38 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: CityByTheSeaCitizen
I have also seen people argue over whether it is respectful to fish for bedding bass, saying that it damages the population.

We used to bowfish them all the time off the beds on Fork until we realized that, with a castnet, we could usually get both the male and the female in pretty quick order. It's been years since we've done that, though - now that I'm older, I find that it's much harder to navigate those stumpier lakes with night's worth of whiskey on the brain. Bumpin' your way back to the ramp is a sport for the young!

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #7952997 09/04/12 03:08 PM
R
R E N Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER™
Is this a private club lake or a public body of water? If its private talk to the owner if it's public ask for special restrictions to be put in place. This is the best place to blow off steam but it doesn't do anything to really help the fishery. Call, Email, write letters. Go meet with the people in charge face to face. I feel your angst. I hate to see jug liners put out 50 jugs and keep 20 25lb bluecats. Kills the breeding stock.
Well said Strangler! I got grief for keeping one over 20+. Heck, I even got grief for weighing one incorrectly & releasing it. I'm all for conservation & protecting the species, but these guys gotta take a chill pill & relax a little.

Also, some people seem to forget that NOT EVERYONE has the luxury to fish for just the pleasure of it. Maybe, just maybe when some people realize that money doesn't grow on trees, they'll understand just a little bit.

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Txwhitacre] #7953236 09/04/12 04:08 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Txwhitacre] #7953318 09/04/12 04:25 PM
J
jerk Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Years back we used to fish a private pond that the owner told us we needed to take home as many Bass as we caught "that year"( or bring them up to his house) we asked him why and he said just wait a few years and you will see, well we did what he said..reluctantly, well he was right a few years later the size and quality of the fish we caught was off the hook ! We later founf out he was a retired fishery bioligist, for the state of Oklahoma.

jerk waiting for a ...
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Bassplastic] #7953576 09/04/12 05:30 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Bassplastic
I have also seen people argue over whether it is respectful to fish for bedding bass, saying that it damages the population.

We used to bowfish them all the time off the beds on Fork until we realized that, with a castnet, we could usually get both the male and the female in pretty quick order. It's been years since we've done that, though - now that I'm older, I find that it's much harder to navigate those stumpier lakes with night's worth of whiskey on the brain. Bumpin' your way back to the ramp is a sport for the young!

So you were bowfishing bass from the beds and then you were castnetting them later? hmmm

BigDozer66

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Txwhitacre] #7953616 09/04/12 05:39 PM
C
Cudadude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Mike sure knows how to start trouble.. popcorn

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: BigDozer66] #7953680 09/04/12 05:50 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: BigDozer66

So you were bowfishing bass from the beds and then you were castnetting them later? hmmm

BigDozer66

Oh yeah. Both ways will work, actually. You can get them with a car battery or a gaff, too. Out of a kayak, though, the gaff is alot easier. It's hard to throw a net or tote a car battery in a kayak.

Bedding bass are ridiculously stupid - they're certainly not gaff-shy. You can paddle right over them and swing down right on their heads. I got my first double digit bass on a gaff actually, but definitely caught more of them in the cast net, but that wasn't in a kayak. I do like getting them in a kayak, though, better than the jonboat. Something about using a jonboat makes it feel like cheating.

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Txwhitacre] #7953683 09/04/12 05:51 PM
T
txkayaker Offline
Angler
Angler
T
stir Bringing out some true confessions

Dale Hively
East Texas Fly Fisher Club
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Txwhitacre] #7953734 09/04/12 05:58 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
...although a jonboat holds A LOT more bass. I can barely fit a single limit in my kayak.

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Bassplastic] #7953766 09/04/12 06:01 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

BigDozer66

Oh yeah. Both ways will work, actually. You can get them with a car battery or a gaff, too. Out of a kayak, though, the gaff is alot easier. It's hard to throw a net or tote a car battery in a kayak.

Bedding bass are ridiculously stupid - they're certainly not gaff-shy. You can paddle right over them and swing down right on their heads. I got my first double digit bass on a gaff actually, but definitely caught more of them in the cast net, but that wasn't in a kayak. I do like getting them in a kayak, though, better than the jonboat. Something about using a jonboat makes it feel like cheating.

Well this is a TEXAS Fishing Forum but not everyone here is in Texas so I have no way of knowing for sure except you said you did it on Lake Fork. hmmm

Your post has confessed to many, many illegal activities if you are doing them in Texas. With all of them combined it would easily be a very expensive fishing trip.

BigDozer66

Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: BigDozer66] #7953785 09/04/12 06:04 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Your post has confessed to many, many illegal activities if you are doing them in Texas. With all of them combined it would easily be a very expensive fishing trip.

I'm not sure I'm following ya'.

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Bassplastic] #7954365 09/04/12 08:17 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I'm not sure I'm following ya'.

We used to bowfish them all the time off the beds on Fork until we realized that, with a castnet, we could usually get both the male and the female in pretty quick order.

Well you said you bowfished, gigged? and cast netted bass off their beds in Lake Fork all of which is illegal in the State of Texas.

None of those ways of fishing and some others, gill nets, seines, spear fishing, snagging etc. are illegal for any Game Fish in Texas.

Game Fish (includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on this list):
•Bass: Guadalupe, largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, striped, white, yellow
•Catfish: blue, channel, flathead
•Cobia
•Crappie: black, white
•Mackerel: king, Spanish
•Marlin: blue, white
•Pickerel
•Red drum
•Sailfish
•Sauger
•Seatrout, spotted
•Sharks
•Snook
•Spearfish, longbill
•Swordfish, broadbill
•Tarpon
•Tripletail
•Trout: brown, rainbow
•Wahoo
•Walleye

Game Fish Definitions

Legal means of taking fish

Both of these can be found at the above links.

BigDozer66

Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: BigDozer66] #7954377 09/04/12 08:21 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
hooked

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: BigDozer66] #7954389 09/04/12 08:24 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Well you said you bowfished, gigged? and cast netted bass off their beds in Lake Fork all of which is illegal in the State of Texas.

None of those ways of fishing and some others, gill nets, seines, spear fishing, snagging etc. are illegal for any Game Fish in Texas.

I see what you're saying, but it's all good. We weren't eating the bass we were catching, but yes, if we were, we certainly might've gotten a ticket! But yeah, we were just catching bass to use as cut bait on juglines for gator gar.

I can't imagine how long it would take to catch 30-40 bass on rod/reel to bait all the juglines we would put out!

Re: Disappointing sight yesterday [Re: Bassplastic] #7954397 09/04/12 08:27 PM
C
Chess101 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

I see what you're saying, but it's all good. We weren't eating the bass we were catching, but yes, if we were, we certainly might've gotten a ticket! But yeah, we were just catching bass to use as cut bait on juglines for gator gar.

I can't imagine how long it would take to catch 30-40 bass on rod/reel to bait all the juglines we would put out!

Is this a BIG JOKE? Or do you really not understand the laws? confused hmmm popcorn2

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide