Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7878142 08/14/12 01:52 PM
S
spro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I understand your frustrations Frank. I caught a few that I thought were sandies a few months ago but really could not say 100% either way which bring me to ask; Is it possible for a sandie to have markings similar/close to a hybrid but a single tooth patch? They were just under 18 inches but only one tooth patch. I had to look at these fish multiple times and still could not determine what they were and just threw them back. Has anyone else experience this? I am beginning to believe the hybrids are crossing with the sandies. Is that even possible?

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: spro] #7881625 08/15/12 03:22 AM
J
Jedi-Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: spro
I understand your frustrations Frank. I caught a few that I thought were sandies a few months ago but really could not say 100% either way which bring me to ask; Is it possible for a sandie to have markings similar/close to a hybrid but a single tooth patch? They were just under 18 inches but only one tooth patch. I had to look at these fish multiple times and still could not determine what they were and just threw them back. Has anyone else experience this? I am beginning to believe the hybrids are crossing with the sandies. Is that even possible?

No. If it has several lines going to the tail it is a hybrid. Plus a hybrid's shape is very different than a sandbass. Am I the only one that doesn't think it is pretty easy to tell the difference? Think about it this way--you keep that fish and it is a sandbass--cool about $2 worth of meat. You keep the fish and it isn't $200 fine(Ok I am making that number up but any fine would suck)

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7882381 08/15/12 01:16 PM
S
spro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Mother Nature doesn't always play by the book Jedi. And I have caught my share of hybrids and sandies to tell the difference.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7882493 08/15/12 01:41 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
J
It's really unfortunate that this post has gone on 4 pages now for the reason of someone trying to identify a fish via a photograph.

This is my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

If you didn't see the fish in person and weren't able to hold it and do your own identifying tests, then you should not be calling someone out for what the fish species actually is.

You have nothing but a 2 dimensional image to go off of.

The unfortunate part is two fold:
1 - that we don't, first and foremost, trust another human to tell us the truth
2 - that we are hell bent on making sure to put them down until they comply or just go away.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7882555 08/15/12 01:58 PM
O
Odds Offline
Angler
Angler
O
You are correct Boston Bob.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: spro] #7882571 08/15/12 02:01 PM
O
Odds Offline
Angler
Angler
O
.... I am beginning to believe the hybrids are crossing with the sandies. Is that even possible?

Yes there is a possibility that Sandies and Hybrids can cross, somewhere around 1%. If they do they are considered Hybrid.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: BOSTON BOB] #7882610 08/15/12 02:09 PM
Mark C Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BOSTON BOB
...and this is why people quit posting...

LOL, ya think?

Originally Posted by TexasBlonde
You are not a good or nice person.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Jeff Schiller] #7883522 08/15/12 06:10 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Jeff Schiller
It's really unfortunate that this post has gone on 4 pages now for the reason of someone trying to identify a fish via a photograph.

This is my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

If you didn't see the fish in person and weren't able to hold it and do your own identifying tests, then you should not be calling someone out for what the fish species actually is.

You have nothing but a 2 dimensional image to go off of.

The unfortunate part is two fold:
1 - that we don't, first and foremost, trust another human to tell us the truth
2 - that we are hell bent on making sure to put them down until they comply or just go away.

I completely agree except for the 4 pages part...only 2 pages on mine. I think you can change the settings for more posts per page grin

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: spro] #7884145 08/15/12 08:30 PM
J
Jedi-Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Mother Nature doesn't always play by the book Jedi. And I have caught my share of hybrids and sandies to tell the difference.

I guess it is not uncommon for someone to not be able to tell the difference. There was a full time guide on here who posted a picture of his buddies lake record sandbass. I said it was a hybrid. He got all bent out of shape telling me how he had fished for 40 years and if I thought I knew more than him I should call TPWD.....I did and I did. They did a test on the fish....surprise a hybrid.

Last edited by Jedi-Ninja; 08/15/12 08:32 PM.
Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Jedi-Ninja] #7884205 08/15/12 08:44 PM
Frank I Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
This thread needs to go away. All I can say is that Jim and I checked the tooth patch and found 1, we thought it to be a big sandy, if it wasn't it was an honest mistake.
All other fish that had 2 tooth patches were put on the board and if they were 17 7/8's inches back into the dink they went.

I don't think I'll be posting reports or pictures here any more. I'll stick to the OT.... grin
Thanks to all of you who supported me in this ridiculous debate over a fish.... thumb

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
You guys know everything..... I'm just an idiot....no problem........

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7884211 08/15/12 08:44 PM
E
eightyduece Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Poor fella just tried to give us a report with pics and then came the bashers. I will never post a fish pic for this reason. If I want grief over a fish I would just ask my wife if I can go fishing. No sense in me getting beat up twice or in this case....... Good night guys, there is no trophy at the end of the thread.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Jedi-Ninja] #7884556 08/15/12 10:15 PM
Gibby Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jedi-Ninja

I guess it is not uncommon for someone to not be able to tell the difference. There was a full time guide on here who posted a picture of his buddies lake record sandbass. I said it was a hybrid. He got all bent out of shape telling me how he had fished for 40 years and if I thought I knew more than him I should call TPWD.....I did and I did. They did a test on the fish....surprise a hybrid.

They did a test on the fish? You mean, it wasn't so easy for them, that they could tell just by looking at it? I also wonder who would pay for that test, of that one fish? I would love to hear more about this.

Ryan Gibson
Senior Mortgage Broker
Alliance Mortgage Group
Cell: 214-763-6394
rgibson@alliancemtggroup.net
www.ryangibsonmortgages.com

*Please email me for the quickest response. I sometimes go days without checking the TFF.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Frank I] #7884786 08/15/12 11:14 PM
A
anton� Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A

tha catchin' is my favorite part.
Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Gibby] #7885712 08/16/12 03:04 AM
J
Jedi-Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Gibby

They did a test on the fish? You mean, it wasn't so easy for them, that they could tell just by looking at it? I also wonder who would pay for that test, of that one fish? I would love to hear more about this.

I do not work for TPWD department but they can test any fish that is submitted for a record. I turned in a record for a yellow bass and it ended up being a yellow bass hybrid. I do not understand why people take this as an attack. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean the other person means to offend you by telling you so. If I made a mistake, and I have made many, I would want someone to tell me why I made it so I can become better and more informed.

Re: Lewisville 8/12 [Re: Jedi-Ninja] #7886398 08/16/12 01:12 PM
B
Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Gibby

I do not work for TPWD department but they can test any fish that is submitted for a record. I turned in a record for a yellow bass and it ended up being a yellow bass hybrid. I do not understand why people take this as an attack. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean the other person means to offend you by telling you so. If I made a mistake, and I have made many, I would want someone to tell me why I made it so I can become better and more informed.

Yep

Phill's Guide Service - Lake Lewisville and Lake Ray Roberts
817-201-4144
https://phillsguideservice.com/
Like us on Facebook!
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide