Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? #7681203 06/23/12 04:58 AM
D
Devil Horse Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Looking over the top 50 list its clearly obvious the mega bass started around 86 and went up until the mid 90s or so.

Any thoughts or opinions on why it basically stopped? The state record is now 20 years old. Things looked so promising back then for a world record to come from Texas and then kind fizzled out. What was so good back then that these bass were growing to the size they did.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681281 06/23/12 05:31 AM
Claysefus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Biguns got educated on lure presentation and identification. There is still a record swimming around in one of these lakes.

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681532 06/23/12 12:11 PM
B
BASS COACH Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Spraying the hydrilla sure has not helped!!

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681540 06/23/12 12:16 PM
J
jeremy fishalot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I may be wrong?but a old man told me 98 or 99 fork went through a big fish kill and rember seeing some big big bass floating but I'm not sure if this is even close to being true?

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: jeremy fishalot] #7681565 06/23/12 12:31 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: jeremy fishalot
I may be wrong?but a old man told me 98 or 99 fork went through a big fish kill and rember seeing some big big bass floating but I'm not sure if this is even close to being true?

In '99, Lake Fork was hit with Largemouth Bass Virous.
We lost 50%(or more) of our big fish.
Fishing has somewhat recovered, but unless you were here during the '90s on a daily basis, you can't imagine what this lake was about.
Seems that less consideration is given to this fishery by fishermen now, as I watch multiple tourmnaments per week, and the live bait fishing for bass is rampant.
It will hard for Fork to to start producing the really big fish with this kind of pressure, especially since the grass dissappeared.(It wasn't sprayed either).

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681625 06/23/12 01:09 PM
BigLeslie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
This is all just opinion, and the assumptions of an armchair ichthyologist so take it for what it's worth. Big fish eat big meals and to grow huge their forage has to be available at the right time of their life cycles without too much competition from other fish. If you look at the records for the top 25 bass from TX, FL, and CA you'll see that all had fewer entries during the 2000's. Interestingly enough, 20 of the top 25 record bass from California came from the last 20 years and only 5 were caught between 2000-2010. Obviously, there is a lot more history before 2000 than going forward until today, so odds are more monsters will be caught pre-2000 unless something significantly changed in the food cycle available to the fish.

Let's look again at California, why all those monsters in the 1980s and 90s? California was augmenting the ratio of optimal forage fish by stocking rainbow trout which was bass candy. Many argue that trout didn't really make all that much difference...but guess what the trout stockings are not being made at the level they once were due to the sorry state of California's budget and in turn, the giant bass aren't being caught like they once were. It's an interesting correlation to say the least.

If the giants were still in Fork with all the angling pressure (especially crappie anglers) they should still be showing up occasionally. The availability of ample forage, the right kind of forage, and lack of competition for the forage is no longer in the right balance to produce regular monster bass. Too many sandbass and barfish, decreased habitat (hydrilla), LMBV, and the other variables already mentioned certainly don't help.

But there might be signs of hope, TPWD has indicated they expect white bass populations to die off, the end to the drought potentially can springboard lake fertility and increase habitat, if people aren't catching fish like they did once they may not pressure fork as much giving more fish the opportunity to reach true monster status. No, fishing at Fork is not bad at all now, but can you catch fish in the high teens...not as likely as at one time however, 10 years from now we might have reason to hope just takes a lot of patience at some point those Share a lunker genes have to kick in, right? Or maybe all that money should have been spent on better forage fish...

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681638 06/23/12 01:13 PM
S
senko 10lb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
The reason the bass in Cali are so big is the all the runoff of the farmers those bass are on serious steroids

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7681762 06/23/12 02:17 PM
The Fishing Physicist Offline
YOLO
YOLO
Fork is never going to be as good as it was in the 80s, and 90s. No impounded reservoir stays great forever. Im 55 and have never lived anywhere but Tyler, Waco, Nacogdoches, and College Station. I well remember when Lake Palestine was originally impounded in 1962, and even before that when Tawakoni was impounded in 1960. I arrived in Waco about six years after the impoundment of Navarro Mills. I heard all the talk about how great the fishing was on these lakes and others for about the first ten years or so after their respective impoundments. The patten has always been much the same. Impoundment is followed by an increasing productivity, which in three to seven years hits a peak, and stays at that peak for more or less 10 to 12 years, then there is a decline in the productivity over several years to a plateau where it typically stays for decades. Each lake is different. Fork may not be as good as it was during its peak, but it is still one of the greatest largemouth lakes in the world bar none. I know of no other lake, at least in this, or near this neck of the woods where you can regularly have an excellent shot at a double digit largemouth. Again, it may not be producing megabass as it once did, but is still the most awesome lake I know of for a chance and a DD, or SAL.

During the 30 or 40 years just after WWII we Texans, especially East Texans, have gotten spoiled with the construction of reservoirs taking place such that there have been many great largemouth fisheries hitting their peaks in a series of years. This has meant that there has been a hot lake to go bass fishing to for most of the last 60-70 years.

Unless there is a spate of reservoir building over the next ten to twenty years theres not going to be the new hot lakes that weve been use to.

All that said, I would of course love it if Fork could rebound to its old glory. The down side of this would be that Fork would continually be covered up with bass anglers. Still, Fork has been very good to me, and that goodness has happened mostly from bank fishing. I know of at least a half a dozen good spots on Fork that I can regularly have a real shot at catching excellent slot fish, not to mention nice unders, and there is always of course the real hope of catching an over, DD, or even an SAL.

TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: BigLeslie] #7682649 06/23/12 08:19 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: BigLeslie
This is all just opinion, and the assumptions of an armchair ichthyologist so take it for what it's worth. Big fish eat big meals and to grow huge their forage has to be available at the right time of their life cycles without too much competition from other fish. If you look at the records for the top 25 bass from TX, FL, and CA you'll see that all had fewer entries during the 2000's. Interestingly enough, 20 of the top 25 record bass from California came from the last 20 years and only 5 were caught between 2000-2010. Obviously, there is a lot more history before 2000 than going forward until today, so odds are more monsters will be caught pre-2000 unless something significantly changed in the food cycle available to the fish.

Let's look again at California, why all those monsters in the 1980s and 90s? California was augmenting the ratio of optimal forage fish by stocking rainbow trout which was bass candy. Many argue that trout didn't really make all that much difference...but guess what the trout stockings are not being made at the level they once were due to the sorry state of California's budget and in turn, the giant bass aren't being caught like they once were. It's an interesting correlation to say the least.

If the giants were still in Fork with all the angling pressure (especially crappie anglers) they should still be showing up occasionally. The availability of ample forage, the right kind of forage, and lack of competition for the forage is no longer in the right balance to produce regular monster bass. Too many sandbass and barfish, decreased habitat (hydrilla), LMBV, and the other variables already mentioned certainly don't help.

But there might be signs of hope, TPWD has indicated they expect white bass populations to die off, the end to the drought potentially can springboard lake fertility and increase habitat, if people aren't catching fish like they did once they may not pressure fork as much giving more fish the opportunity to reach true monster status. No, fishing at Fork is not bad at all now, but can you catch fish in the high teens...not as likely as at one time however, 10 years from now we might have reason to hope just takes a lot of patience at some point those Share a lunker genes have to kick in, right? Or maybe all that money should have been spent on better forage fish...

From your 'armchair ichthyologist' standpoint, what forage fish would you have stocked?

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7682999 06/23/12 09:51 PM
1ShotNoKills Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Obama?

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Devil Horse] #7683204 06/23/12 10:52 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My opinion isn't going be a popular one, but I think sharelunker is hurting the production of giant fish. I'm not certain as I haven't looked in a while, but I can't remember a fish that was entered into the the sharelunker program more than once and was substantially bigger the second time. Some have even lost weight the second time they were caught. Idk if it is the stress of going through the process that makes them stop growing or maybe they have just reached their peak. I'm not a biologist.

I do believe as a whole, sharelunker is good for Texas bass fishing. There really isn't any data to support that either though.

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Claysefus] #7683206 06/23/12 10:53 PM
L
Levi at Shortys Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: Claysefus
Biguns got educated on lure presentation and identification. There is still a record swimming around in one of these lakes.

+1

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Richard McCarty] #7683300 06/23/12 11:22 PM
BigLeslie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty

From your 'armchair ichthyologist' standpoint, what forage fish would you have stocked?

That's a great question, trout of course wouldn't make it in Fork and most TX waters, too hot. I've heard they have stocked shad heavily in Fork, so I'm not sure. Something that has the nutritional value of a trout, isn't too tough for a fat bass to catch, and can live in Fork's waters...oh wait and it's gotta be a native...no way TPWD would allow another invasive species...unless it was sterile like hybrid stripers or grass carp. Instead of trying to genetically engineer superior bass another angle might be to introduce the perfect, sterile bass candy. Just a crazy idea, heck if the millions (mostly private dollars as I understand it thankfully) spent on share a lunker never actually grow monsters in the next 10-20 years why not try something different?

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: Levi at Shortys] #7683316 06/23/12 11:27 PM
BigLeslie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Levi at Shortys

+1

That gives way to much credit to a dumb fish. How many of the biggest ones were caught by crappie fishermen? You aren't seeing those giants anymore... Yeah, maybe some went to the skillet but probably not all of them. Some fish might decline a bait for a day or maybe even a month after seeing it again and again and some techniques (plastics) almost always fool them. See http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1986-09-29/news/8602270802_1_fish-behavior-plastic-worm-bass

Re: Any thoughts on why NO mega bass since the 90s? [Re: BigLeslie] #7683381 06/23/12 11:51 PM
Claysefus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: BigLeslie
Originally Posted By: Levi at Shortys

+1

That gives way to much credit to a dumb fish. How many times can you catch he same fish in a row off a bed? I know it may seem tough to get the females at times, but that's mainly because she's on the bed for a much shorter time than the males who are typically more aggressive. Plus, read "Sowbelly" big bass have predictable patterns and can be caught again and again, they don't learn lure presentation and identification in any significant level especially after several hours have passed, their brains don't work like that. Some fish might decline a bait for a day or maybe even a month after getting hooked on it but experts say they will likely hit it again and some techniques (plastics) almost always full them. See http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1986-09-29/news/8602270802_1_fish-behavior-plastic-worm-bass

Nope, I dont agree. A recent study by TP&W showed that a test lake was fished for a while, then drained and the findings showed that a number of fish were caught many times over. There were many fish in the lake that were not documented that have never been caught. I think they said these fish just did not take bait for whatever reason. (many different proffesional anglers supposedly fished it)

Ok... yes I know that I dont have a link to the article (it was in a Texas Fish and Game magazine) and this info seems shotty. But I'd have to ask you this... How do the biggest Gators get so big? Thay are smarter than the average gator. How do natural big bucks get so big. If big fish aint smart, I must be dumber than I originally thought.......

One more note, our current state record was caught by a crappie fisherman. On live bait. Thats interesting mainly because you said that they will all eventually hit a lure. Our record didn't and you dont know if she ever had or would have.....

Last edited by Claysefus; 06/23/12 11:51 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide